Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Paying your keep at home

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    sophia wrote:
    Aren't you moving to Manchester? If you live and work in Manchester I'd be surprised if you needed a car, the public transport, in my experience anyway, is very good.
    I need to own my own car, be able to drive people around, and be able to go to various locations around the region. I've been told that when they're looking for staff on any sort of film or TV location work, the first thing they do is go through all the CV's, and throw out all of the ones that don't own their own car.
  • Options
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Gutted. On top of all the other costs involved, if you live in the city centre you can expect to pay an extra £50 a month rent if you want a parking space with your flat.
    That's the thing, I'd probably just use the trams most of the time if I wasn't working on something that needed a car, and was staying in the city. So now I've got to justify £1000 a year insurance plus running costs, for something which I won't be using all the time.
  • Options
  • Options
    I think the thing that got me about this thread is the first post, where her parents wanted £30 but she haggled them down to £25 like some scuffer.

Awful.
  • Options
    I think the thing that got me about this thread is the first post, where her parents wanted £30 but she haggled them down to £25 like some scuffer.

Awful.
    That's what happens with parents! I still do it with my mum, my mum still does it with her mum! I'm sure she knows her parents and boundaries well enough.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    That's what happens with parents! I still do it with my mum, my mum still does it with her mum! I'm sure she knows her parents and boundaries well enough.

Yeah sure. But it's just a bit cheapass.
  • Options
    like some scuffer.

Glad you said that, I've got a reputation.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Do you? :p
  • Options
    Yeah sure. But it's just a bit cheapass.
    of course its cheapass! but they're my parents, im allowed to do it :D
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    so does crocidolite. i don't think he has a nice word to say about anything!
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    so does crocidolite. i don't think he has a nice word to say about anything!
    You are very very wrong about that I'm afraid! :p
  • Options
    oh god here we go "but you said this and I said that and you're like this"

i suppose I have to pit the smilie here to say I'm joking :p
    I hate doing that sometimes, cos in real life when I'm sarky I dont stick my tongue out or owt!
  • Options
    Eh? I'm just saying she's wrong, that's all.
  • Options
    Eh? I'm just having a laugh about all of us, that's all.
  • Options
    Why can't people just admit when they're taking the piss, and getting a great deal from their parents?

I don't deny that I'm getting a great deal, my dad would rather see me straight than living in some squalid shit tip of a bedsit or living on the breadline.
    although, I really should start contributing.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Well most people don't really need a car. I'm 24 and I have never had one. My Dad doesn't have one either.

Some people seem to think it's a right and a basic necessity to have a car. I can accept that if you live in a tiny village but most places it's not necessary and yes, it's a big expense if you're on a low wage.

I need my car to get to work, public transport here is unreal.
  • Options
    I pay 450 a month to my rents, 200 digs and 250 debt.
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    I pay 450 a month to my rents, 200 digs and 250 debt.
    OUCH.

Do you have anything left over? Do you earn over £900 a month?

How much debt you in to owe that much a month? :crazyeyes

And by digs do you mean gigs?
  • Options
    OUCH.

Do you have anything left over? Do you earn over £900 a month?

How much debt you in to owe that much a month? :crazyeyes

And by digs do you mean gigs?

Ha! Yeah I get over 900 a month, hehe. I owe debt to my parents, from a year ago, like. And digs is my keep at home - 200squid! I do fuck all at home though. If I do owt, like attempt to wash/iron I get reprimanded almost!

I do other bits and bobs round the gaff, though.
  • Options
    Ohhhh. I thought you meant you had to pay out £450, then £200, then £250 and I was like "!!!!!" LOL.

Thats really not too bad then.

You get told off for doing housework? Jeez. I wish that was the case for me! LOL.
  • Options
    Tribal wrote:
    I need my car to get to work, public transport here is unreal.

Same - i work 12 miles outside Norwich, and it's on a factory so it's right off the beaten track. I couldn't get to and from work unless I had a car.
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm sorry but whoever said that they cannot live by themselves on £700 a month is taking the piss. Of course you can.

Absolutely. This time last year, I was earning under £500 a month and I survived. Admittedly, it wasn't very pleasant, but I still did it. Now I'm earning about £1000 a month and only spending about £500 on essentials.
  • Options
    I dont know how anyone can BEAR to live with their parents as an adult tbh.
    I love my mum to pieces, we`re incredibly close, but even going on holiday with her last year nearly drove me nuts. First time id spent that much time in a row with her since i was 16
  • Options
    I dont know how anyone can BEAR to live with their parents as an adult tbh.

Definately :yes:

I'm in my final year at University now and don't plan on moving back home.

I *love* my independence. I live off my own money. I don't get a penny off my parents. I love running my own life and I love the fact I don't need my parents to help me at all. I get by fine on my own.

I don't intend on moving back home when I graduate in June/July. I could never move back home.

Although I love my family to pieces, I just couldn't live with them. I can only spend about a week at home at a time at most. Anything more than that drives me mad. Sounds bad but like, its how I feel tbh.
  • Options
    i'll probably return home when i finish uni - think i'm gonna train to be a probation officer so that'll take 2 years..

i don't mind it at home but it'll be weird i think. normally by the end of the summer i'm ready for the independence but i don't think 'god i hate it at home'. i come home every weekend for at least 1 night so i guess maybe that's why.
  • Options
    I love it when my parenst go away so I can have some independence. I cant wait to move out but they wont be until next year after I've been travelling. Theres no point leaving when I'll be away for a couple of months.That will be the real proof I can look after myself.
  • Options
    I currently don't pay any rent, I'm part time working, and full time college though. I have a deal with parents though- they use my work discount card, I cook twice a week etc.
  • Options
    I'm sorry but whoever said that they cannot live by themselves on £700 a month is taking the piss. Of course you can.

Live in a shared house near your workplace, walk or use public transport, make packed lunches every day, shop carefully, go to charity shops for your clothes, wear three jumpers instead of turning the heating on .... as students me and t'other half lived on £25 a week between us because that's all we had (in the bad old days when people had it twice as tough!.

Thankfully we don't have to do that any more because I'm the first to admit it was tough a lot of the time. Doesn't mean that it can't be done though.

Part of my job involves debt counselling and most budgets are in a deficit when people don't want to compromise between the lifestyle they want and the lifestyle they can actually afford.

I had to read that twice because I couldn't work out whether you were being sarcastic or not.

I don't want to live below the breadline thanks.

YOU were at uni so your situation was temporary, I'm stuck in low paid jobs for the rest of my life, I think there is a big difference in putting up with a bad situation for X amount of time and choosing a life of poverty.

There is no way I'm working a bloody hard manual job just to scrape by when there are people who would be living more comfortably than me on the dole.
    And fuck sharing a house with some dirty minging house mate, people generally irritate me, much better to save up a bit of cash first so I can get my own place or wait until I meet a partner.