Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Paying your keep at home

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Tribal wrote:
    II'm stuck in low paid jobs for the rest of my life

How on earth did you reach that conclusion?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    How on earth did you reach that conclusion?

Because I left school at 15 with no qualifications and I'm generally not very clever.
  • Options
    Tribal wrote:
    Because I left school at 15 with no qualifications and I'm generally not very clever.

You can always go back to school.
  • Options
    And with some jobs, it would be possible to train whilst working.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    You can always go back to school.

Education just isn't my thing, I'd much rather be surfing or mountain biking or abseiling or learning martial arts than studying some bullshit subject that I don't need or want to know about, it would be such a waste of time theres so much to do and see out there.

I tried a course in computer security about a year ago with Computeach which cost me almost £5000, I wasn't commited enough to study regularly and I jacked it in within 3 months and I'm still paying off the "career development loan".

When I said "I'm generally not very clever" I didn't mean I lack education but I lack the mental capacity to learn, I'm classic factory fodder.

I have no real problem with working hard low paid jobs, I'm a grafter, working hard is something I AM good at.
  • Options
    Tribal wrote:
    I had to read that twice because I couldn't work out whether you were being sarcastic or not.

I don't want to live below the breadline thanks.

Don't then.

GWST was saying we were living and managing on significantly less than £750 a month.

As for being low paid, FYI on £6ph with a 35 hour week you'll come out with £11,000, which is about £750 a month after tax. Shop workers get that, and call centre workers get more.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Don't then.

GWST was saying we were living and managing on significantly less than £750 a month.

As for being low paid, FYI on £6ph with a 35 hour week you'll come out with £11,000, which is about £750 a month after tax. Shop workers get that, and call centre workers get more.

The bottom line is: Struggling is no fun, I choose not to do it, especially when I wouldn't be much worse off on the dole.
    Nuff said.
  • Options
    i had to post here because this topic of moving out of home and stuff is really very relevant to me just now.

i lived with my partner in our own house, which we own (or the mortgage people own :) ) but we separated earlier this year, i earn £760 a month and have a car to pay for aswell so theres no way i could have afforded to stay in our house myself or even get a place of my own, my friends are all coupled up and im not the sort of person who could live with someone i didnt know well.

so until ive saved up some money for a deposit im living back with my parents. since im still paying some money towards mine and my partners house (the rent doesnt quite cover the mortgage and we pay a letting agency too) and trying to save up for a deposit on my own place, i dont pay any rent to my parents. not that im not willing, but because they know im capable of living independently so its not a lesson they need to teach me, they don't need the money at all and because they want to help me in any way they can to save up so i can move back out and buy my own place, and im also putting any other money i can into paying off my car and by next year i will have and with the money we will hopefully make on our house and money i have saved i should have a decent deposit. i live in a small village in a not very big town so id have to get 3 buses to my work and then back again and the buses around here aren't well known for being reliable so i need my car.

i'm desperate to be independent again and live alone but i want to do it properly when i know i can support myself and im lucky enough to have parents who will do anything they can to help me. i don't see the problem with that at all.
  • Options
    Tribal wrote:
    The bottom line is: Struggling is no fun, I choose not to do it, especially when I wouldn't be much worse off on the dole.

Fair enough if you don't want to be living in a budget, that's your choice, but it isn't because you can't afford it, which is my point.

As for the dole, well, as a single man by himself you'd be entitled to £43 a week, plus a bit of housing benefit and a bit of council tax benefit. I earn that in just over five hours at work, and I'm not on a great salary. It's a big drop from £250 a week to £43, don't you think?

I couldn't afford to live in this place by myself because we've budgeted on two incomes not one, so I do see your point Sugar. But your situation is slightly atypical in that you are still paying for a house you don't live in.
  • Options
    Tribal wrote:
    Education just isn't my thing, I'd much rather be surfing or mountain biking or abseiling or learning martial arts than studying some bullshit subject that I don't need or want to know about, it would be such a waste of time theres so much to do and see out there.

I tried a course in computer security about a year ago with Computeach which cost me almost £5000, I wasn't commited enough to study regularly and I jacked it in within 3 months and I'm still paying off the "career development loan".

When I said "I'm generally not very clever" I didn't mean I lack education but I lack the mental capacity to learn, I'm classic factory fodder.

I have no real problem with working hard low paid jobs, I'm a grafter, working hard is something I AM good at.
    Working hard is something you ARE good at? Yet you quit your £5000 course after 3 months? That doesn't sound like commitment to me. If you are genuinely hard working, then you shouldn't have a problem turning non-academic skill into something that will either make you more than the minimum wage, or at least allow you to do something you enjoy. You sound like you could make a good living doing something in the outward bounds or leisure industry. But it does require that hard work and application you claim to have.

A hard working person can rise through the ranks even in something that might appear dead-end like retail or bar work.There are plenty of people with no qualifications in reasonably well paid jobs due to hard work and learning their trade, rather than qualifications. Hell, most of my family are now in management positions in their 50's when they started out in workshop floors and building sites, and they're all living reasonably comfortably. And there's other people in my family the same age, who have spend most of their life saying all the things that you are saying, and they are still going from minimum wage job to minimum wage job, and having to watch every penny they spend. No-one will ever give you a payrise. You have to give yourself a payrise.
  • Options
  • Options
    House sharing is the best option – but it is hard to live with people, you need to find friends that you REALLY get on with and even then it can all go wrong. At the moment I live with 2 great people (there was another but he’s gone, it was cheaper then)and it costs us around £330pm – that includes rent, electric, gas, water and council tax which I think is brilliant.
  • Options
    Tribal:

Get yourself on either a plumbing or electrician's training course thing. Learn a proper trade. There is a dearth of people with these skills coming through at the moment and the people that ARE working these trades are earning a good crust.

They are also crying out for people with these skills in Australia and so you could have the option of moving there with a good job in the future.
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    VinylVicky wrote:
    and it costs us around £330pm – that includes rent, electric, gas, water and council tax which I think is brilliant.

Is that the total price?
  • Options
    smitherz wrote:
    Is that the total price?
    sorry I meant each
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    VinylVicky wrote:
    sorry I meant each

So how big is the house your living in? Not bad if it includes all the utility bills and theres alot of space.

So all in all the total cost of living for you including food is going to come to around the £100 PW mark which aint bad ;)
  • Options
    smitherz wrote:
    So how big is the house your living in? Not bad if it includes all the utility bills and theres alot of space.

So all in all the total cost of living for you including food is going to come to around the £100 PW mark which aint bad ;)
    It's an old victorian terrace. 3 bedrooms, living with, dining room (which we use as another bedrrom, a 2nd living room, middle sized kitchen, loft and cellar space and a middle sized garden.
    It's a very nice house and I have a massive bedroom!!!!
  • Options
    House sharing is definitely a good way to go. A lot of people get a bit funny about it, but it is such a good way to get a decent place to live for less money. I currently pay £270 a month which includes everything except food. So with food and all my little luxuries, I don't need anymore than £500 a month. And I earn just under £1000 a month, so I am having a great time at the moment :)
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    As for the dole, well, as a single man by himself you'd be entitled to £43 a week, plus a bit of housing benefit and a bit of council tax benefit. I earn that in just over five hours at work, and I'm not on a great salary. It's a big drop from £250 a week to £43, don't you think?

People on the dole get their rent paid, lets call that £400P/M plus council tax, I have no idea how much council tax is so correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing it would be somewhere within the region of £100p/m on a band B property, then theres £166P/M to spend as you see fit.
    Total- £666P/M

My salary-£700P/M

Difference-£34P/M

Now, when you take out my travel expenses to get to work (Atleast £40PM via public transport) I would actually be better off on the dole if I moved out rather than working for a living.

This is also why I believe that £700P/M is not enough to live alone on- I would be spending more than I earn just on rent tax and getting to work.
  • Options
    Don't make ridiculous statements. If you were living below the breadline you would have your income topped up by Working Tax Credit or Income Support, or one of the many other benefits that exist. You want to see what living below the breadline is really like mate. How about swapping with one of my clients?

If your parents are happy to subsidise you then that's great. I will hopefully be able to do the same for my kids one day. Just don't tell people that's impossible to live on your wage when the reality is that you are simply not willing to compromise between what you want and what you can afford.

Perhaps "living below the breadline" was an OTT statement, but if you look at my above post you will see what I'm getting at.

I don't live an extravagant lifestyle, infact I rarely go out or even buy expensive clothes or gadgets except for maybe the occasional xbox game or a new part for my mountain bike when necessary- I'm trying to get a bid of cash behind me so I won't have to choose between having a pint or buying bread and milk for the week in the future when I do move out.

You are right- it can be done, I could live on £700 a month but its not easy and its bloody demoraleising when its clear that you could live the same lifestyle without having to work for it, courtesy of the good ol' working folk of britain.
  • Options
    Kermit, you havn't posted a response, does this mean that you realise that you were talking bollox?
  • Options
    No, it means it was my wife's birthday and I've had better things to do.

1. People on the dole don't get their rent paid for them. They get allowance towards rent but if your flat is expensive you won't get the full lot, and the DSS definition of expensive is lower than ours. Also most private landlords will evict DSS tenants at the end of the tenancy. Usually DSS people end up in council accomodation. For a single male this would be in a hostel and then in a small flat in one of the town's less salubrious areas. It certainly isn't market rate. I wouldn't fancy living in a council flat on the top floor of some manky 60s tower block.

2. For a single person in our city the council tax at band A would be about £65-70 a month over 10 months. It makes a difference, sure, but not that much.

3. Out of that £43 a week you have to feed and clothe yourself and heat your house, and buy transport. When a bus pass for a week is a tenner, that's a tiny amount of money. If you think the dole is something you can live on then you're an idiot; I presume you haven't been on the dole.

If you earn £11,000pa, which is about minimum wage and is something a call centre operator would earn as a bare minimum, you come out with about £750 after tax. Rent for a good studio apartment in a desirable area of this city is £375pcm, plus council tax makes £450 a month. Guideline spending amounts at the supermarket is about £40 a week for a single person, including basic toiletries, and that's generous. Our shop now is about £55 a week, and that's for two of us and includes wine and expensive orange juice. Adding £30 for a bus card (which you wouldn't need if you live and work close to the city) and £20 for the utilities still leaves about £100 for the month to be spent on what you want after your bills have been paid.

It's hardly breadline, is it?
  • Options
    Tribal wrote:
    Kermit, you havn't posted a response, does this mean that you realise that you were talking bollox?

:lol:

what?

no it means he has something called a life.
  • Options
    Honestly, in London, I just can't see how spending just £40 a week in the supermarket would cover food, toiletries etc

Buying fresh fruit and veg just all adds up, but it's the meat that is the killer.

£40 goes nowhere down here unless you buy the "value" or "economy" ranges, shocking, but true.

£40 being a generous amount for one person for a week - I have to disagree.
  • Options
    i get buy on about £20 a week for food, and thats not budgeting, i do buy mainly junk to be fair, and i eat about 5 slices of bread of crumpets a day, but i would never spend over £30 even if i tried
  • Options
    when i was uni i used to spend £25-30 p/week on food and that was being tight with it too! fresh veg, food and meat for 3 meals a day really adds up!
  • Options
    i set myself a budget of £15 a week for food from monday-friday. i wish i could spend more but i eat quite well. :yes:

and the reality of it is i can't afford to spend anymore than that!
  • Options
    i set myself a budget of £15 a week for food from monday-friday. i wish i could spend more but i eat quite well. :yes:

and the reality of it is i can't afford to spend anymore than that!
    how?? do you buy lots of economy stuff?
  • Options
  • Options
    As GWST said, look at what money is being spent on. My partner and I both live in London, and we use our local supermarket to shop. We don't buy economy brands unless it's for household items like bleach/tins of food etc, most of our cooking is done from scratch, the bulk of our shop is fruit and veg and our shopping bill for some of September and the whole of October came to £40 each, including laundry detergent, so it can be done.