Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Organ Donor Consent

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    as for arguments concerning an opt out system, im sure many people would opt out, now dont ask me to explain this, but i find it a little unethical that taxpayers money would be spent on administrative duties that would kill people (processing paper work to opt out), as people would opt out and forms would need to be processed

and if any mistakes with databases were made, id rather chance not inflaming the wishes of families by accidentaly assuming consent is automatic, an opt out system would cause more pain and suffering, and people would opt out in masses i think, so for the sake of maybe a small percentage more of organs, we would be spending more money, and making yet another public outcry
  • Options
    I signed up for donationg when I got my drivers license. I do think more people need to donate, but as opt-in as its your choice, not the states. And the waiting lists to get donors for some organs are very very long, and people do die waiting for organs, espically children.
  • Options
    the thing is though

if someone feels strongly enough about organ donation, then they go and register and get an organ donor card

you shouldnt have an opt out scheme, as it will undoubtedly conflict with some peoples religious beliefs, why should someone have to opt out of a system just because of their religious beliegs, you might find after taking that thought into consideration, that you are being discriminatory against certain religious groups
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    the thing is though

if someone feels strongly enough about organ donation, then they go and register and get an organ donor card

you shouldnt have an opt out scheme, as it will undoubtedly conflict with some peoples religious beliefs, why should someone have to opt out of a system just because of their religious beliegs, you might find after taking that thought into consideration, that you are being discriminatory against certain religious groups

My thoughts entirly, we should have opt-in BUT we need to raise awareness of it so that more people choose to do it, its not as simple as picking an organ, the person has to be roughly the same age, ethnic background and even sex in some cases. Blood groups is important as well, the donor (i think) has to be the same as you. Being a blood donor of a rare blood group (B neg, 2% of the population) makes you realise that while you can help other people, someone one might not be able to help you because of it.
  • Options
    people do die waiting for organs, espically children.
    Will somebody please think of the children!

Don't know what you're on about btw.
  • Options
    the person has to be roughly the same age, ethnic background and even sex in some cases.
    Eh?
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    the thing is though

I don't get how its being discriminatory to be honest. Is it discrimination to sell sausages where Jewish people have to shop just because they have to opt-out of buying one?
  • Options
    I don't get how its being discriminatory to be honest. Is it discrimination to sell sausages where Jewish people have to shop just because they have to opt-out of buying one?

thats hardly a decent comparison, they people who are not jewish that use the shop, still have to opt in to buying the sausage

much the way that people who are not jehovas witness's still have the choice if they want to opt into organ donation or not

put it the other way around, its like saying, if you are jewish, and you go into a shop, you have to buy a sausage, fair enough an opt out system means they didnt have to buy it, but where religious people would opt out of organ donation because of their religion and beleifs, rather than other people who just opt out cause they are squeemish, means there is a certain level of discriminatory action going on

why should a general law abiding member of the public have to do something to keep the status quo

its like saying everyone is going to have an id card, people have a problem with that being forced onto a society, you can opt out, by not getting one, if you really dont want to
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    thats hardly a decent comparison, they people who are not jewish that use the shop, still have to opt in to buying the sausage

much the way that people who are not jehovas witness's still have the choice if they want to opt into organ donation or not

put it the other way around, its like saying, if you are jewish, and you go into a shop, you have to buy a sausage, fair enough an opt out system means they didnt have to buy it, but where religious people would opt out of organ donation because of their religion and beleifs, rather than other people who just opt out cause they are squeemish, means there is a certain level of discriminatory action going on

why should a general law abiding member of the public have to do something to keep the status quo

its like saying everyone is going to have an id card, people have a problem with that being forced onto a society, you can opt out, by not getting one, if you really dont want to

You are right it wasn't a decent comparison but I got hungry and thought of sausages.

I understand all your reasoning but I would still be happy with an opt-out system and I don't think its discriminatory at all. For the sake of ruffling a few feathers but saving lots of lives I feel its worth it.
  • Options
    problem is, as has allready been raised in this thread, the issue of consent

making it an opt out system, seems to me effectively that the state is claiming ownership of our bodies, and exercising the rights of an owner, by using organs for transplants as they see fit

its good as i have said before that there are plans for an opt out system, but what happens if the paperwork is muddled up, or you get someone with mental health problems, what happens in any case where you have someone who does not have the capacity to make judgements for themselves, and therefore in theory cant opt out of the system

someone then argues that their legal guardian or next of kin can do that for them, someone making that decision for me while i was alive, if i was mentally incapacited would be shocking to me, and when id died, it would be no different than the decision a next of kin makes in the current state of affair anyway

the money spent educating people that the system would be changing would be an expense that isnt proven to be of any benefit what so ever, and as i said before, currently the money spent on paper work, does good, people reguster as donors, and the nhs money spent on the admin of those forms, means we have organs. If we chanegd the system, we would then be spending the same amount of money, if not possibly more (as we dont know how many people would opt out) of the nhs's money, on processing forms, that would lead to us having less organs for donation

It appears to me to be an unintentional grab, so when we are alive they have the ID cards to control us, and when we are dead, the only wishes that would be respected would be those of the state.
  • Options
    You are right it wasn't a decent comparison but I got hungry and thought of sausages.

Post of the week!
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Post of the week!

I know you are being sarcastic but that made me smile :lol:

What can I say, this board needs some light relief sometimes..
  • Options
    If we had an opt-out system, how would those who do opt out be seen by other people? Would they be made to feel guilty about it and subsequently pressured into it?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    If we had an opt-out system, how would those who do opt out be seen by other people? Would they be made to feel guilty about it and subsequently pressured into it?

Where after an opt out system do doctors stop in assuming consent has been given/assumed

Euthenaisa (sp?)
  • Options
    (I am still against the opt-out idea though, having been made to see the error of my ways by klintock...)

Im with klintock on this one as well
  • Options
    Why would anyone need to know?
    True. I hadn't thought of that.
  • Options
    Why would anyone need to know?

You don't have to tell people now whether you're registered to donate, or whether you give blood.
    It would have to get into your medical record at some point so that you aren't chopped up if you die.
  • Options
    (I am still against the opt-out idea though, having been made to see the error of my ways by klintock...)

Oh my god no!

This is the politics forum, you are supposed to hold your views in the face of all facts, logic, appeals to reason, emotional eptithets and blunt objects to the back of the head!
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    Where after an opt out system do doctors stop in assuming consent has been given/assumed

Euthanasia
    A very pertinent point.

Would the terminally ill or mentally infirm be pressurised or presumed to have consented for life ending therapy.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    A very pertinent point.

Would the terminally ill or mentally infirm be pressurised or presumed to have consented for life ending therapy.

the worrying thing is that you have got the wrong end of the stick

the scenario is much worse than that

they WOULD kill the eldery, as they eldery and/or terminally ill have to opt out, and any doctor wishing to avoid a murder charge, in this case, would not have to provide mitigating evidence to help reduce his tariff, the defence would have to prove the patient opted out of the euthenasia
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    the worrying thing is that you have got the wrong end of the stick

the scenario is much worse than that

they WOULD kill the eldery, as they eldery and/or terminally ill have to opt out, and any doctor wishing to avoid a murder charge, in this case, would not have to provide mitigating evidence to help reduce his tariff, the defence would have to prove the patient opted out of the euthenasia
    I think that's a bit far fetched, but the principle of consent is the true point to this. Saving lives at the expense of abandoning the right of somebody to decline consent for organ donation is not a proce worth paying imho.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I think that's a bit far fetched, but the principle of consent is the true point to this. Saving lives at the expense of abandoning the right of somebody to decline consent for organ donation is not a proce worth paying imho.

Unfortunately, while it may seem far fetched, if i have thought of it, then im sure someone psycotic like a mad doctor, with more brains than me, has also thought of it

people die all the time, its a given fact

but if i was an MP, i couldnt vote in favour for a bill that while possily saving more lives, would also definitively be creating the ability to take more away
  • Options
    An opt out system, where you have to carry cards (As some people have suggested) saying you'd rather not donate your organs could really backfire as well - for example, someone who's religious beliefs extended to not wanting any of their organs removed who doesn't carry the card on a certain occasion may have them taken out.

It scares me that so many people are going for the idea of an opt out system.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Doofay wrote:
    An opt out system, where you have to carry cards (As some people have suggested) saying you'd rather not donate your organs could really backfire as well - for example, someone who's religious beliefs extended to not wanting any of their organs removed who doesn't carry the card on a certain occasion may have them taken out.

Have to agree. (aside from the fact noone would want your organs :p)

I wouldn't mind my organs being donated (doubt they'd want them!) but the idea of an opt out system doesn't sit with me.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Have to agree. (aside from the fact noone would want your organs :p)

I wouldn't mind my organs being donated (doubt they'd want them!) but the idea of an opt out system doesn't sit with me.

half the reason people dont mind donating organs, is that they have made a choice, and feel good about it

you cant and shouldnt have an opt out option, where theres the possibility people will be demonised by others because they made a choice, as opposed to the current status quo where the majority of people havnt made a choice either way
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:

Makes me wonder what their opinion of rape is TBH. There really isn't a huge amount of difference...