Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Organ Donor Consent

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    deleted
  • Options
    While the idea of an opt-out system is nice, it entails that people who may not wish to donate organs will be forced to do so, going against their belief system, religion, etc. The idea that once you die, people can help themselves to your body parts isn't one i really agree with. For reasons i'm not going to explain here, as with last time a thread on this was posted, i do not wish to donate my organs when i die.
  • Options
    Of course people can have my organs, although I'd rather they were used for medical research than for people... You're not gonna take 'em with you so there's no point in hoarding them.
    Well exactly. You don't need them when you're dead!
    However I would like a biodegradable coffin please. :)
    Wooden, or made from rice paper? Or if you're looking for something a bit more durable (although sadly not biodegradable) I'm sure they could whip you up something out of a recycled tyre, as they do for pens and benches.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    I dont need my organs when im dead Aslong as my skeleton is bureied somewhere interesting to be dug up on a future history program i do not mind.

I feel exactly the same, tbh. I wouldn't need them, so why should I keep them?
  • Options
    Why not? What use will it be to you?

Cause I don't want anyone near my body after I die. Plus from years of drink and drug abuse, there's nothing I can really offer that'll be of any use! :D
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Cause I don't want anyone near my body after I die. Plus from years of drink and drug abuse, there's nothing I can really offer that'll be of any use! :D

But if you didn't abuse your body because of drugs, would you allow your organs to be donated after your death?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Nope.

Depends if they had said anything before they died. Default position would be no.

Only opt in has anything to do with consent whatsoever.

ditto
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    But if you didn't abuse your body because of drugs, would you allow your organs to be donated after your death?

Nope, I don't like the idea of my body being touched after my death.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Same here
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    you won't be alive to care though
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

That's not the point.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    That's not the point.
    i just don't see what it should matter once you're dead
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i just don't see what it should matter once you're dead

why shouldn't it... for some people it matters what happend to their body after they die, they kind of get used to it... for some it doesn't matter... it's a question of choice...
  • Options
    I would be happy to die knowing my organs will be used to help someone else live, although I agree with a few others who say that having their eyes removed would be weird.

I would only agree to have my relatives organs removed if they've told me or have a donors card, otherwise I wouldn't as I don't see it as my choice.

And I choose opt in. :)
  • Options
    i believe organs should be donated unless you opt out, im on the donor register, and i have notified my family and they've said they wont go against my wishes.
    i dont need my organs once im dead, if anything will live on it'll be my soul nothing else.
    but i have one worry that my organs are only used in transplants and medical research only if it stops animal testing, but not geneic testing,
    also i would like my bones to be donated to a school, so snotty nose kids can be freaked out by them.
    then my remaining tissue can be cremated and spread on my favourite beaches in north devon, Saunton, Croyde and Combesgate.
    simple
    R
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

So you'd be happy letting a necrophiliac have his way with your body after you die then? You won't be alive to care anyway.
  • Options
    I'll be getting torched anyway, so they can have what they like.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I will let them take what they need after I die.

But, I do think consent should be sought.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    I'll be getting torched anyway, so they can have what they like.

:lol:

And I have to say I think we should start an opt-out system in this country. Because There are so many people who "mean" to do things that never "get around to it". We are so bad for it. And tbh, unless you have serious reasons not too, what's the harm?? You're not going to miss them when you're no longer using them.
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    So you'd be happy letting a necrophiliac have his way with your body after you die then? You won't be alive to care anyway.
    no i wouldn't be alive to care - but i doubt that will happen
  • Options
    in a pragmatic sense i'd say opt out

however it should be explained better on how to opt-in
  • Options
    They can take what they like :yes:

I have a donor card.
  • Options
    To the opt outers!

Do I have the right to carve you up once you are dead and take your organs out for my own use?
  • Options
    Exactly. I'd definitely want to be cremated, so it seems rather selfish to see all those organs that could have saved other people's lives going up in smoke.

Just a thought - it seems spiritual beliefs play a part here; whether you believe we have a "soul" or not probably makes a difference. If you don't, then perhaps your body is more important than it is to those who believe we do. Perhapsyes

definately, i totally agree

but does it matter if you have a soul, even if you dont have a 'soul' why would you need your body once you've died?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    SC, that#s your determination of what happens to your body when you die.

I'll put it another way.

Do YOU have the right to carve ME up for parts once I am dead?

(I won't do the obvious thing of pushing your boundaries about what you would and wouldn't allow your body to be put through after death because it's tasteless)
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    SC, that#s your determination of what happens to your body when you die.

I'll put it another way.

Do YOU have the right to carve ME up for parts once I am dead?

(I won't do the obvious thing of pushing your boundaries about what you would and wouldn't allow your body to be put through after death because it's tasteless)

Its not about "carving" someone up, ist not as if organs are taken to hang on a Christmas tree or something. Its to save life or contribute to medical research. Surely if people feel so strongly opt-out wouldn't be an issue because you could sign a little piece of paper or whatever to say you don't want it.

An opt-out system would save hundreds of lives surely that can't be a bad thing!
  • Options
    Its not about "carving" someone up, ist not as if organs are taken to hang on a Christmas tree or something. Its to save life or contribute to medical research. Surely if people feel so strongly opt-out wouldn't be an issue because you could sign a little piece of paper or whatever to say you don't want it.

An opt-out system would save hundreds of lives surely that can't be a bad thing!
    :yes: