Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Organ Donor Consent

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Its not about "carving" someone up, ist not as if organs are taken to hang on a Christmas tree or something

Course it is.
    Its to save life or contribute to medical research.

Or make some unaccountable, unknown person wealthy off the back of harvesting your bits. "Medical research".
    Surely if people feel so strongly opt-out wouldn't be an issue because you could sign a little piece of paper or whatever to say you don't want it.

If there is cash in taking your stuff, the paperwork will go missing, it will be falsified. If it's run by a state ageny it will be run appallingly and they will get it wrong. They manage to stuff it up when the default position is doing nothing, allowing them to take action will lead to more getting it wrong.

Regardless, you seem to think you have the right to my corpse to use as you see fit. You don't.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    If there is cash in taking your stuff, the paperwork will go missing, it will be falsified. If it's run by a state ageny it will be run appallingly and they will get it wrong. They manage to stuff it up when the default position is doing nothing, allowing them to take action will lead to more getting it wrong.

Regardless, you seem to think you have the right to my corpse to use as you see fit. You don't.

You are extremely paranoid about something of which you have no proof or reason. You dont know that paperwork will go missing, or that it would be run appallingly. The way I see it is that it will increase the donor list by thousands (namely adding those people who don't care either way) I'm sure they aren't going to be seeking out your corpse when they'll be plenty of others they can have legally.

I don't think I have a right to your corpse nobody here does but if people can't be arsed to opt-out then they surely aren't that bothered in the first place.

If you were my next of kin and I had the choice of what to do with your body then even if you did object I'd still have you donated to save life. I couldn't sleep if I didn't.

Let the flaming begin..... :nervous:
  • Options
    You are extremely paranoid about something of which you have no proof or reason. You dont know that paperwork will go missing, or that it would be run appallingly.

I know that both those things will happen. The government runs everything badly. It always has and it always will.
    The way I see it is that it will increase the donor list by thousands (namely adding those people who don't care either way) I'm sure they aren't going to be seeking out your corpse when they'll be plenty of others they can have legally.

Theres the problem. You think that "the law" can entitle you to anything. It's just words on paper, written by fuckwits who want to hide violence. So, if I write my opinion down on paper then am I entitled to harvest YOUR bodily organs after you die to use in my own medical research?

The position of having to ask and beg to others for the use of your own body should fill you with horror.
    I don't think I have a right to your corpse nobody here does but if people can't be arsed to opt-out then they surely aren't that bothered in the first place.

Make your mind up which opinion you hold please. It can't be both. Either no one has a right to your corpse, or they do. Which is it?
    If you were my next of kin and I had the choice of what to do with your body then even if you did object I'd still have you donated to save life. I couldn't sleep if I didn't.

So you have more of a say over what happens to my body than I do? That must mean that I can reverse this process, and say that I would just cremate yours regardless of your wishes.

Enough flames in an oven, neh?
  • Options
    klintock, do you think you can take someone's organ without permission? it's not about aminal. if you die, you can leave your words to your relative.

I know you'd prefer to let your organ die or buried with you instead of using them to save a life.
    what happen if you are the one who is severely injured and will die and nobody decide to give their dead relative's organ to you? gave it a thought.

help is reciprocal, you need to help others if you want others to help you. keep that in mind. i know you have alot your daddy's propaganda in your mind. :razz:
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Make your mind up which opinion you hold please. It can't be both. Either no one has a right to your corpse, or they do. Which is it?

So you have more of a say over what happens to my body than I do? That must mean that I can reverse this process, and say that I would just cremate yours regardless of your wishes.

Enough flames in an oven, neh?

No one has the right to your body in terms of going against your own "legal" opinion of what you want done with it, but what about the people who are too lazy to express their opinion, obviously they don't care what happens to it so by default it should be used to save life. I will say again, I agree with opt-out, the people with strong beliefs get to do what they want and those that don't care save lives. Win-win.

I would have more of a say over your body (if you were my next of kin) when you are dead, yes. Yes if you were my next of kin you could cremate my ashes regardless of my wishes. You would in effect be the owner of my corpse.
  • Options
    klintock, do you think you can take someone's organ without permission?

No.
    I know you'd prefer to let your organ die or buried with you instead of using them to save a life.

I want it burned. ASAP.
    what happen if you are the one who is severely injured and will die and nobody decide to give their dead relative's organ to you? gave it a thought.

This will never happen. Why do I know this? Because you raised the point and so many people want to give their organs away.
    help is reciprocal, you need to help others if you want others to help you. keep that in mind.

And grabbing hold of corpses and cutting them up without permission is reciprocal how, exactly?
    i know you have alot your daddy's propaganda in your mind. :razz:

:confused:

A victim of propoganda? That's a new one on me.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    achinese wrote:
    klintock, do you think you can take someone's organ without permission? it's not about aminal. if you die, you can leave your words to your relative.
    klintock wrote:
    And grabbing hold of corpses and cutting them up without permission is reciprocal how, exactly?

do you have some severe issue of reading and complehension. reread it. :thumb:
  • Options
    achinese wrote:
    klintock wrote:
    This will never happen.

he is making me laugh so bad. :lol:
  • Options
    I don't get this klintock - how can you be sure it will never happen?

Pretty simple really. It's like those who say that without taxation the poor would suffer (almost everyone). The very fact that there is a concern to provide organs means that they will always be available when needed.
    do you have some severe issue of reading and complehension. reread it :thumb:

No. If I misunderstood what you wrote, that's your fault not mine. Rewrite it.
    he is making me laugh so bad. :lol:

Living in a fantasy land will do that to yoyur sense of humour, "chinese" person.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    If I misunderstood what you wrote, that's your fault not mine.

okie, dokie, i'll leave that to everyone's common sense. you must be with your god, nothing can hurt you, not even accident. :D

I feel really grateful to live in a secular society. :p
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    its pretty simple when you come to think of it

do you, or do you not, respect the livingwishes and intentions of someone, after they have died?
  • Options
    MrG wrote:

do you, or do you not, respect the livingwishes and intentions of someone, after they have died?

Why is it that?

An opt-out system would also respect peoples wishes after they have died, surely?
  • Options
    MrG wrote:

I think those who are willing to help others should get help in return.

when it come to klintock, there's no need to save him. away. :wave:

he think he will be fine without anyone's help, :thumb:
  • Options
    Why is it that?

An opt-out system would also respect peoples wishes after they have died, surely?

yes but an opt out system doesnt mean the person agrees, it just means they havnt opted out

where as if they opt in, there is definitive consent in the form of a yes
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    yes but an opt out system doesnt mean the person agrees, it just means they havnt opted out

where as if they opt in, there is definitive consent in the form of a yes

I understand what you are saying and I do in a a way agree but it still comes back to the fact that if they really did care that much they would go through the bother of opting-out, those that didn't opt-out obviously arent bothered. For the sake of saving lives I think its worth it.

Why don't they just ask you when you sign up at a doctors or something, if you opt-out? That way everyone is being asked.
  • Options
    I understand what you are saying and I do in a a way agree but it still comes back to the fact that if they really did care that much they would go through the bother of opting-out, those that didn't opt-out obviously arent bothered. For the sake of saving lives I think its worth it.

Why don't they just ask you when you sign up at a doctors or something, if you opt-out? That way everyone is being asked.

equally if people want to be a donor so much, then they can opt in
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    equally if people want to be a donor so much, then they can opt in

Exactly, but opt-out would save lives because lots of people who want to be donors don't bother to get cards.
  • Options
    Exactly, but opt-out would save lives because lots of people who want to be donors don't bother to get cards.
    Surely that should be where the effort is put in then, rather than creating legislation which completely reverses the concept of informed consent, which the medical profession has strived for years to develop.
  • Options
    I think it should be opt-in. That way your making a definite statement that you want to be an organ donor.

As much as an opt-out system seems to be the flip side to opt-in, opt-in gives the illusion of more control. Instead of it being "we are going to take your bits unless you say no", having to opt-in makes it seem more voluntary, more of a choice rather than being forced into a decision. Perhaps it's just an illusion of choice......

This is why I don't post in here, I can't express myself properly. At least about stuff like this :mad:
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Surely that should be where the effort is put in then, rather than creating legislation which completely reverses the concept of informed consent, which the medical profession has strived for years to develop.

Maybe so, I would like to see a system where people are asked on registration for different things e.g. passports, doctors registration etc.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    I think it should be opt-in. That way your making a definite statement that you want to be an organ donor.

As much as an opt-out system seems to be the flip side to opt-in, opt-in gives the illusion of more control. Instead of it being "we are going to take your bits unless you say no", having to opt-in makes it seem more voluntary, more of a choice rather than being forced into a decision. Perhaps it's just an illusion of choice......

This is why I don't post in here, I can't express myself properly. At least about stuff like this :mad:

Don't be silly, you expressed that perfectly. In fact of all the opt-in arguments I've read today your one post has made me think the most.
  • Options
    Maybe so, I would like to see a system where people are asked on registration for different things e.g. passports, doctors registration etc.
    Well that's not an opt-out system then.
  • Options

like they currently do with drivers licences
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Well that's not an opt-out system then.

Well its a debate aint it? I'm allowed to change my mind. :razz:

It would be half and half really because if everyone was asked then you would have to either opt-in or opt-out.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    like they currently do with drivers licences

I can't remember them asking me, and it doesn't have it written on there or anything
  • Options
    I can't remember them asking me, and it doesn't have it written on there or anything

when did you apply for yours, cause 3 years ago there was a tick box on one of the forms
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    when did you apply for yours, cause 3 years ago there was a tick box on one of the forms

Seven years ago! Ooo I feel old now! :razz:
  • Options
    Right, so if I get your meaning correctly, in both cases you're relying on the goodwill and charity of the fortunate to prevent the suffering of the unfortunate. If that's the case, you really are living in cloud cuckoo land.

I am basing my position upon the objection I always hear in this argument, the fact that you can successfully justify mass robbery using it and the kindness I see in my day to day life.

What are you basing yours on?
    You've already said yourself that you have no intention of giving your organs to anyone else who might need them, even though we now have the situation which you would prefer, where it is opt-in. If you're too selfish to help others, what makes you think other people won't be

There are two options.

1) No one really gives a shit. In which case no democracy has any business using force (indeed couldn't get the support) to MAKE people care.

2) People would do it voluntarily. In which case a democracy has no need to be using force to MAKE people care.
    When it comes to organ donation, we already rely on goodwill and charity, and sadly people do die because there aren't enough organs donated. The facts of the matter don't support your notion that people will be generous and charitable when it comes to their loved one's organs

So why should this be anything other than the case?