Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Organ Donor Consent

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Article from The Times

Would you like your organs to be donated after your death?

Would you consent to the organs of your nearest and dearest to be used when they die?

Do you agree with opt-out or opt-in consent?

Comments

• Options
    Yes
    Yes
    Opt-in
  • Options
    I dont need my organs when im dead Aslong as my skeleton is bureied somewhere interesting to be dug up on a future history program i do not mind.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Yes
    Yes
    Opt-in
    Why not opt-out?
  • Options
    I want all my organs donated and I would give consent for all of my nearest and dearest to have theirs donated, even though one of my family members has said they would rather I didn't.

I believe we should have to carry cards if we wish to opt out.

I think it would be absolutely horrible for you or a relative to be on a transplant list knowing you could get better if only someone would choose to donate their organs.
  • Options

Nope.
    Would you consent to the organs of your nearest and dearest to be used when they die?

Depends if they had said anything before they died. Default position would be no.

Only opt in has anything to do with consent whatsoever.
  • Options
    I'm an organ donor. They may not want them, but they have the option all the same. I don't think family memebers should be allowed to refuse if the person in question already gave their consent. What are they hoping to accomplish by saving all their organs? Will knowing their kidneys are still intact give somebody any more closere or peace of mind? Though I guess I could be considered hyprocritical as if the person isn't an organ donor, I think their family should have the opton to allow them to donate.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    I think it should be an opt out system - if your beliefs are so against it you'd make the effort to opt out whereas some people might be too lazy to opt in to it

I have my beliefs on why I don't want my organs donated and I'm not prepared to justify them here - just before anyone tries to hang me for it
    Would you be prepared to accept an organ from a donor if you needed it or is this against your beliefs as well?
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Why not opt-out?
    The benefits of an opt out system (namely more organs for transplantation) do not trump the right of people not to be chopped up and shared around after their death unless they have expressly agreed through opting in. There would be no incentive to inform the public and persuade them to join the register voluntarily.
  • Options
    I think I'm already on the organ donor list, I registered when I was about 14. They can have anything they want except my eyes, even I don't want to touch those :sour:.

I would consent to the organs of your nearest and dearest to be used when they die, I was the one in the position to make that decision.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Would you be prepared to accept an organ from a donor if you needed it or is this against your beliefs as well?

I have family member who are jehovahs witnesses (i have family from practically every religion known to man, well not quite) and I know its not the same but a little example would be:

My uncle is JW and if he was in an accident or seriously ill and needed a blood tranfusion my Aunt who is Catholic would consent for his treatment even though it is against his wishes as a JW. If it was the other way around however and my Catholic Aunt needed the blood he would not consent as a JW he has said this himself. I don't know how this works in cases where the patient would surely die without the transfusion but thats the way my Uncle has described it to me. Ignore this is if just isn't true that you need consent :blush:

Edit: Just researched it, it seems the Jehovahs witness can refuse but not on behalf of someone else so ignore my above rambling! :blush:
  • Options
    I'd like my organs donated when I die.
  • Options
    HYPOTHETICAL

A family member needs an organ to survive.

A chap named Adolph Hitler is found dead with a donor card on him.Would you accept the organ ?

Repeat the question but insert "Ian Brady or Myra Hindley" for "Adolph Hitler". Different answer ?

How about Sidney Cooke ?
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    HYPOTHETICAL

A chap named Adolph Hitler is found dead with a donor card on him.Would you accept the organ ?

Repeat the question but insert "Ian Brady or Myra Hindley" for "Adolph Hitler". Different answer ?

How about Sidney Cooke ?
    Unless they were having a brain transplant it would not bother me.

I don't think that an "evil" person would have "evil" organs... to me they are just a piece of meat really.
  • Options
    Tough one this.

I understand the reasons for the opt-out suggestion. We clearly need more organs if we are to meet demands.

However, the fundamental principle of donation is that it is a conscious decision to give consent. Opt-out takes that away and I find that hard to justify.
  • Options
    Opt out is saying the state has a right to your organs without your consent and you have to ask for control of your own body.

That it's even considered an option is sad.
  • Options
    I think a lot of people see carrying an organ donation card as bad luck, tempting fate, etc.

I certainly don't want a reminder I could be killed on my way home each time I reach into my wallet and as it is I try and carry a very slim wallet and often have to pick and choose which cards I'll need, for instance will I need my Oyster Card today, or my AA membership card if I'm using public transport... if not I'll leave it behind to make may wallet slimmer.

I think the opt-out system is better at least if it covered organs most people feel more comfortable about like kidneys... when people think of dontaing organs like that I think they are less squimish, espacially since an organ you might be abble to dnate to a relative whilst you're still living, but thing like heart, lung, eyes, etc people get squimish about.
  • Options
    I think a lot of people see carrying an organ donation card as bad luck, tempting fate, etc.

I .

Oh, you guys have a card? I would find that a bit creepy and black cat ish :p
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Oh, you guys have a card? I would find that a bit creepy and black cat ish :p

Yep I think it's a bit creepy too.

_886947_card300.jpg

.. I mean what if a necrophilic found that on you after you'd died ... it does say in big letters I want to help someon after my death!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necrophilia
  • Options
    No one is touching my body when I die!
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I dont have an organ donor card, but when I applied for my new Boots Advantage Card, I used their facility to opt in on the application.

So on the back of my card, I have a little symbol saying I am an NHS organ donor. I'm pretty sure I opted in with my driving licence as well. :chin:

I couldn't give permission for a relative though. It's not my choice.
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    HYPOTHETICAL

How about Sidney Cooke ?

I know it is all hypothetical but....all donors are kept anonymous so you could be walking around with an organ from Adolf Hiler inside you and you'll never know!At the end of the day, in my opinion, if you the transplant that badly, and you want to survive then you will have the transplant. You don't get the option to specify what sort of personlaity the donor has!
  • Options
    you don't need your body once you're dead, so i don't see why not - you won't be alive to care
  • Options
    when one is dead, she/he always want their organ to stay alive. instead of being buried underground. let those who close to you to have it, it save life.
  • Options
    I definitely want my organs to be donated when I die. I want to be cremated, so it doesnt matter how much they burn of me, if they burn anything at all! And I would make sure that my family consented to this in any circumstances. Whether they agreed with it or not.

Saying all that, I'd also be very happy to be a living donor.

I think the opt-in/opt-out one is a difficult question.
  • Options
    I think the opt-in/opt-out one is a difficult question.

I reckon they should do an assumed consent thing for Kidneys to start with and see how that goes.

I think that will be the organ people are least squimish about donating, cos most of us have two of them, know it's one of the few organs we can donate whilst still alive and some of us have eaten kidneys and familar with the organ.

It when you comes on to things like eyes, etc people really get squimish about just the thought of it.
  • Options
    It when you comes on to things like eyes, etc people really get squimish about just the thought of it.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand how people can be squeamish about giving away organs when they are dead. It's not like you will feel it, know about it, or anything.

I think it's kind of a bit selfish, knowing that you can give someone else a better life with organs that you no longer need because you're dead, and not giving them away.

That's just MY opinion though.
  • Options
    deleted
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Article from The Times

Of course people can have my organs, although I'd rather they were used for medical research than for people... You're not gonna take 'em with you so there's no point in hoarding them.

Even if somebody wanted to cook a curry out of my body it wouldn't bother me, I see my body as a shell and it'll be no use for me when I return to the source.

However I would like a biodegradable coffin please. :)
  • Options
    I am not an organ donor and I am not going to opt-in. But if my family came to the decision that they would donate my organs I would be fine with it (well not fine with it because I would be dead but you know what I mean) I would just want to keep my eyes.

I would only consent to a family members organs being donated if I was totally sure that that is what they wanted. It is just not a nice thought to think that someone who love is being 'intruded' in that way.

I think that it should be opt-in consent. Where is the consent in opt-out?