Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

McDonalds and bad customer service

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    rachie004 wrote:
    TBH, I wouldn't expect good customer service from them

True that. It IS McDonalds.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    rachie004 wrote:
    TBH, I wouldn't expect good customer service from them

I'm so bad for scrutinizing other peoples customer service skills, but if I wrote a letter for everytime I was horrified at someone's bad customer service skills I'd spend a fortune on stamps and not get anything else done

yeah he was rude but get over it

I am also someone who scrutinizes customer service, however, it doesn't matter if it was McDonalds or not. They are in positions of responsibility and if they are just going to be rude then they shouldn't be there. If I was the OP I wouldn't go back to that branch and therefore they would've lost my business. The same for any other shop etc who has poor customer service. We used to go to a local B&Q but their service was beyond shit that we now travel further if we need something. McDonalds doesn't want to lose business so need to have good customer service.

However, with that in mind and my current life situation I would've just muttered something really loudly at the time and forgotten about it.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    theres plenty of times ive had wankers complain about me, because of my lack of customer service skills, usually when im dealing with a complete wanker, or when ive been perfectly civil, but said customer in question was ranting on so much they didnt notice i was being nice, their wankishness clouded their vision

im saying that applies in this case, but in a lot of cases it does
  • Options
    When I went into McDonalds the other day with my boyfriend to buy a McFlurry we experienced very bad customer service. The conversation went like this:

My boyfriend: Hi, could I have a dairy milk McFlurry please?
    Jayz (McDonalds employee): pound (said in agressive tone)
    My boyfriend: sorry?
    Jayz: pound (agressive tone still)
    My boyfriend: pound PLEASE? (my boyfriend hands over a £1 coin)
    (Jayz gives penny change then gets the McFlurry and puts it on the counter)
    My boyfriend: THANK YOU!

The guy didn't look at us at all and all he said throughout the whole time was "pound" twice, and he said it in a really aggressive manner. McFlurries don't even cost a pound - they're 99p!

So, I'm going to write a letter of complaint as it really pissed me off. I'm just not sure how to word it.

Has anyone written a letter complaining, or experienced anything similar?

LOL ... this kinda reminds me of everytime I go to visit a friend of mine at his office which isn't very often there is a KFC just outside the tube station so I go for the 99p chicken mini fillet burger and noticed a few times it says 99p - you give then £1 and half the time they keep the 1p without batting an eyelid.

Obviously I'm not going to miss the 1p but I still think it's kinda rude to assume it's OK to keep it.

Only time I complained was to ring up Burger Kings once cos they had like 5 kitchen staff and only 1 person serving on the counter and the wait was so long to order people were queuing, waiting and then deciding it was taking too long and walking out of the door - I rung their customer service number and the next day there was 3 extra members of staff on the tills.

I think it's worth telling head offices if you can - hey don't know what their staff get up to on a day to day basis - LIDL and Netto are another annoying company - they'll have like 5 or 6 people stacking shelves but only 1 or 2 on the checkout, even though there's another 3 more empty tills.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    theres plenty of times ive had wankers complain about me, because of my lack of customer service skills, usually when im dealing with a complete wanker, or when ive been perfectly civil, but said customer in question was ranting on so much they didnt notice i was being nice, their wankishness clouded their vision

im saying that applies in this case, but in a lot of cases it does

I think that if a customer is being rude to the employee then they may have words to say. I agree that it does work both ways. No one should be rude to anyone and it does annoy me when I see other customers being unneccesarily rude and treating employees like shit because they think they can.
  • Options
    I think that if a customer is being rude to the employee then they may have words to say. I agree that it does work both ways. No one should be rude to anyone and it does annoy me when I see other customers being unneccesarily rude and treating employees like shit because they think they can.

i totally agree with you on all points, but i used to work for mcdonalds many moons ago, and you wouldnt believe the number of times i heard customers complain about employees, because they thought their attitude sucked, or they thought the worker in question was being sarcastic, when infact the worker was nothing short of being outstanding
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Go in again and order a milkshake, if he adopts the same tone as last time then throw the milkshake over him and call him a cunt. then walk out.

Please tell me that's a joke.

I'm thinking mountains and I'm thinking molehills on this one.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    i totally agree with you on all points, but i used to work for mcdonalds many moons ago, and you wouldnt believe the number of times i heard customers complain about employees, because they thought their attitude sucked, or they thought the worker in question was being sarcastic, when infact the worker was nothing short of being outstanding

did anything get done when people complained formally?
  • Options
    firstly there is never an excuse for bad customer service ever, but.......

before a customer throws a hissy fit at an employee, did the worker in question actually direct it at you, or do they just speak like that, sometimes when people are having a bad day, and have loads of customers complain about the place in general, or just have a go at them, it demoralises them, and they just dont care anymore

afterall your mcflurry was 99p, if it was the hilton, the only reason it would be £27.99, would be to pay for the 7 butlers, three maids, 5star service, and silver spoon, all required to get the flurry to you

there was actually an interesting entry on the youthnet blog, on a slightly related note
    http://www.youthnet.org/blog/page/blog?entry=mcdonalds_fights_back
  • Options
    did anything get done when people complained formally?

yes things would get done if people complained formally

though they wouldnt just shoot down the throat of an employee straight away, without looking at the facts

problem is, with places like mcdonalds,. as i mentioned in the post i just made above, while you expect and should get exceptional service, a mcdonalds restaurnt is not a 5star hotel
  • Options
    In the time you've taken complaining about it to us, you could've written and sent a letter of complaint.
  • Options
    My boyfriend: pound PLEASE? (my boyfriend hands over a £1 coin)

and having your boyfriend saying that, makes you any better than the employee in what respect?

fair enough expect good service, but you forfeit that right to expect it when you start being what could be contrued as "cocky & sarcastic" back to the employee, its hardly going to help matters, and if people expect good customer service, without the responsibilities of being a decent citizen, then go screw yourselfs

complain formally and/or do something that will resolve the matter, but if something like this has seriously bothered you that much, dont act like the employee in question
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    True that. It IS McDonalds.
    To be honest, there is no reason why you shouldn't expect the same customer service in Mc'Donalds as you would in another restaurant.

I worked in Mc'Donalds for 4 years. I always treated the customers well. I used to get told off if I let my personal life get involved with my work. Theres no excuse for bad customer service. It doesn't matter where you go. You expect a certain standard.
  • Options
    MrG, I completely understand and agree with what you are saying but it doesn't cost anything for an employee to say please or thank you, look at the customer and maybe smile. Ok, if I have had a bad day I don't want to spend the whole time smiling at people but a please or thank you wouldn't be so hard. I have said in the draft of the letter that I have experienced poor customer service before without saying anything, and that I normally don't have a problem with the employees at McDonalds.
  • Options
    MrG, I completely understand and agree with what you are saying but it doesn't cost anything for an employee to say please or thank you, look at the customer and maybe smile. Ok, if I have had a bad day I don't want to spend the whole time smiling at people but a please or thank you wouldn't be so hard. I have said in the draft of the letter that I have experienced poor customer service before without saying anything, and that I normally don't have a problem with the employees at McDonalds.

i see from that post that you do have your head screwed on and you are going the right way about things, though i challenge you all to work in a job where you dont have time to say please and thankyou, if you work with loud music, even the nicest of people get bored and just shout £5 please, so the customer can hear you
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    and having your boyfriend saying that, makes you any better than the employee in what respect?

fair enough expect good service, but you forfeit that right to expect it when you start being what could be contrued as "cocky & sarcastic" back to the employee, its hardly going to help matters, and if people expect good customer service, without the responsibilities of being a decent citizen, then go screw yourselfs

complain formally and/or do something that will resolve the matter, but if something like this has seriously bothered you that much, dont act like the employee in question

We were shocked that he was so rude to us. My boyfriend was polite to him, said hi, said please when he asked for a McFlurry etc, it was only once this guy was rude to us that my boyfriend said that, I suppose he wanted this guy to realise that he was being rude to us.
  • Options
    We were shocked that he was so rude to us. My boyfriend was polite to him, said hi, said please when he asked for a McFlurry etc, it was only once this guy was rude to us that my boyfriend said that, I suppose he wanted this guy to realise that he was being rude to us.

thats fair enough then

its so very true that even a mcdonalds worker who doesnt want to be their, shouldnt take their job for granted
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    i see from that post that you do have your head screwed on and you are going the right way about things, though i challenge you all to work in a job where you dont have time to say please and thankyou, if you work with loud music, even the nicest of people get bored and just shout £5 please, so the customer can hear you

I worked in a student bar when there would be a mass of students about 10 people deep spread across the whole bar all wanting drinks and getting more annoyed the longer they had to wait due to the sheer mass of people. We had to rush to get people served and had to shout to be herd over the music but it just doesn't take much time to be polite.

Fair enough if they shout £5 please or whatever but it's the ommittion of the please that gets me
  • Options
    I worked in a student bar when there would be a mass of students about 10 people deep spread across the whole bar all wanting drinks and getting more annoyed the longer they had to wait due to the sheer mass of people. We had to rush to get people served and had to shout to be herd over the music but it just doesn't take much time to be polite.

Fair enough if they shout £5 please or whatever but it's the ommittion of the please that gets me

in a situation like that though, whether you say please or not, you always get some wanker who kicks off about not getting served fast enough, even when theres millions of staff on the bar working their arses off

in that case its not a fault of slow staff, more too many customers
  • Options
    I'd probably be the same if i had to work in mcdonalds.

Yer me too :yes:
  • Options

as for the busy bar with people screaming at you, when they are drunk etc

while i will be nice and tolerable and pleasant to anyone that comes to my bar, they dont have a right to customer service if they are a big tit pissing everyone off and more rude than all the staff put together
  • Options
    i wouldnt bother with it at all, maybe just a cheeky remark back to him when it happened, i definately wouldnt go about writing letters etc ... the fella was probably having a bad day or something and if that wasnt the case no doubt some other old grumpy bastard will have a right go at him and shout the place down (somethin my da would do :shocking: )

and i would find it hard to be nice and cheerful all day if i worked in mcdonalds ..
  • Options
    At least they spoke English. I can't go out to eat at fast food at lunch anymore becasue they never understand me and I never understand them to correct them. I got a fish by mistake last time and won't go again :yuck:

Though I'm so jelous at the cheapness of mcflurries :crying: I like them but they cost about 1.8pounds and I'm cheap :p
  • Options
    That's mcdonalds for you, a majority of the employees couldn't tell there arse from their elbow.

The world is full of rude people in all establishments mcdonalds isn't going to be any different.

I wouldn't waste your time writing a letter, if everyone wrote a letter about bad customer service in Mcdonalds they would have millions to get through.
  • Options
    We used to go to a local B&Q but their service was beyond shit that we now travel further if we need something.

fair do on your little boycott but they're hardly going to miss you spending £30 now and then! so you'd rather spend extra petrol money and time?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    fair do on your little boycott but they're hardly going to miss you spending £30 now and then! so you'd rather spend extra petrol money and time?

They won't miss it, no. But I would rather spend that extra few pence on petrol and an extra hour of my time than go in there and need to speak to someone and they be rude, unhelpful or just completely dimwitted. The staff in there are appalling and I don't like to be made to feel that something was my fault when it was their incompetency. It's more a matter of principle.
  • Options
    So, I'm going to write a letter of complaint as it really pissed me off. I'm just not sure how to word it.

Has anyone written a letter complaining, or experienced anything similar?

Cos someone said pound in an agressive manner? :rolleyes: Wise up.

I've had one bad experience with a Mc Donalds employee, in Dublin once a Chinese person took my order and after asked me if I wanted red sauce on my cheese burger, I hadn't got a clue what he was saying. Eventually someone told me.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

I've had one bad experience with a Mc Donalds employee, in Dublin once a Chinese person took my order and after asked me if I wanted red sauce on my cheese burger, I hadn't got a clue what he was saying. Eventually someone told me.

Oh speaking of, I ordered a bacon cheeseburger while I was there, I got bacon, burger, cheese and a bun. :yuck:
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

Hold on. If a company expects you to come into their store and part with your hard-earned cash, one would expect them to be a little more obliging. :yes:
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    Hold on. If a company expects you to come into their store and part with your hard-earned cash, one would expect them to be a little more obliging. :yes:

Yes the company, not the employee. So fuck if some wee cunt says pound in an agressive manner. Not the end of the world. I've got a 1000 things more deserving of a letter of complaint in my mind than some snotty wee Mc Donalads employee.