Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

McDonalds and bad customer service

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What Capacity would do:

Give him a break and appreciate the fact that some people are stuck in jobs that depress them.

Problem is you can never be certain which in my mind is all the more reason for giving them a break. Someone in their family could have died, they might have failed some exams or as I say, they might just be depressed working there. Needless to say if any of those 3 applied to me and someone tried to be smart over me letting my manners slip for my work shift I'd invite them to fuck off.

Who gives a shit if they're being paid to serve you? Go in, get your food, get back out again. I remember from working in a supermarket that it's often the opinion of the customer that by writing a letter they can get the employee in deep shit. Unfortunately for your cause, employers do value their workers more than their customers and the employee's are not always as dispensible as you may think.

What Capacity would have done (other than stay the fuck out of McDonalds in the first place):

Mcflurry if you would please bud
    Pound
    Say again?
    Pound
    E-Ar (that's what it sounds like when I say 'here you are', im so common :( )

.. and maybe even a 'Cheers matey' at the end of it all.

What bothers me is the fact that it's universally known that a McFlurry is a quid (and the till's display how much before your eyes) and you still saw the need to pick at the guy. You'll go through life meeting some ignorant people, don't feel the need to get back at them just because you've met them at their work place. Next time ask yourself really how bothered you are. Answering 'very' says a lot more about you as a person than it does about him in my mind.

On the plus side they might give you a buyonegetonefree Big Mac Meal coupon. Feed the corporate machine. :thumb:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Ah yes, he should be grateful for earning minimum wage and getting abuse all day and all night!

And I, as a paying customer who is always polite to the staff, have to tolerate his offhand manner when it is my money tyhat pays his salary?
    Kermit wrote:
    I'll only insist that staff have impeccable manners when customers lose the cuntish attitude. The biggest problems in customer service are the fucking customers. They always want everything done for them, yesterday, and won't lift a pissing finger to help.

That is why they are customers. Otherwise they would not need your service ...
    Kermit wrote:
    I'm not sure what's worse. That some sour bint wants to write a letter of complaint about the omission of the word please, or that some other loser thinks someone should lose his job because of it.

Who wants him to lose his job? The letter of complaint could just be encouragement for the company to highlight their customer service quality.
    Kermit wrote:
    I've remembered why I hate customers though. No, the customer isn't always right, the customer is usually a stupid thick cunt who doesn't realise that they have to pay interest on a mortgage.

Generalisation. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    Some of us don't have the choice, mate.

Agreed. But does that mean that you are entitled to be bite the hand that feeds ... ?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    And then you and your ilk will be bellyaching about everyone is unemployed and on benefits when there's plenty of jobs at Maccy D's.

You know fuck all about me so what do you believe my 'ilk' to be? And why start getting personal about a general discussion on customer service?
    Kermit wrote:
    I'm employed as a conveyancer, not as someone to be abused for doing my job. This man is employed as a teller, not as someone to be abused for doing his job.

But he WASN'T abused for doing his job. He was being impolite to the customer ...
    Kermit wrote:
    So why the fuck should we have to smile sweetly and be pleasant when we're getting the abuse?

Because you ought to know that you will always get 1 bad egg in 100 and you just get up, brush yourself down and move on to the next (and no doubt civil) customer.
    Kermit wrote:
    I get the strangest feeling you've never worked in customer service. Customers these days will scream and shout and abuse over nothing at all, because they know companies are too weak-willed to tell them to get fucked.

Well. your strange feeling is something else then. I have worked in customer service and presently work front-facing to customers in the financial sector (e.g. brokers etc). I just don't take their abuse so personally.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    That could be the funniest thing I've heard all day! I don't really have a choice, I need the money, as am saving for Uni.

So are you rude to customers then?
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    Agreed. But does that mean that you are entitled to be bite the hand that feeds ... ?
    Depends, really. If they're being unnecessarily rude, then I don't see why I should have to keep being nice to them over something that isn't my fault.
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    Depends, really. If they're being unnecessarily rude, then I don't see why I should have to keep being nice to them over something that isn't my fault.

Well, that's fair enough then. But if you hate your job so much that any customer is considered a twat, maybe its time for a career change.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I'll only insist that staff have impeccable manners when customers lose the cuntish attitude. The biggest problems in customer service are the fucking customers. They always want everything done for them, yesterday, and won't lift a pissing finger to help.
    I totally agree. I work in a bookshop and it amazes me the number of people (mostly university lecturers it seems) who just come in and put a list of anywhere up to 43 (the biggest I've seen) in front of me so I can find their books, and then shout at me if the book's either out of print or out of stock. I had one woman last week who phoned us but actually wanted to know if the book was in our Trafalgar Square branch and then yelled at me because it was in Tr. Sq. (where she wanted it to be) but we didn't actually have a copy (which made no difference to her getting the book). My job would be so much better if I didn't have to deal with customers.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    Well, that's fair enough then. But if you hate your job so much that any customer is considered a twat, maybe its time for a career change.
    Not every customer. Just the ones that are rude to me when it's not my fault. Some of them are lovely, and appreciate that there are sometimes problems and stuff, and that I'm not the one cooking the food and so can't be held responsible for how long it takes.

It's the ones that mouth off at me when their Big Mac-no-cheese-extra-pickles takes more than half a second to miraculously appear in my hand.

I'll change my career when I end up stupidly miserable in my job, to the point where every time I go into work I end up sh-ing...which is the reason I quit my last job, and it took me 3 months to actually get another one.
  • Options
    I've spent years working in retail and customer service, and people constantly cheek me. I don't let it bother me though, in fact it doesn't rile me and i just laugh at how sad they are. If some pathetic twat on a power trip wants to come in and bully me then let them get on with it. It certainly wouldn't be enough to make me be rude all day to everyone else. I'm all happy smiley at work :angel:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    my_name wrote:
    Am I the only one who doesn't care if they say thank you or not?

It is nice to be polite don't you think?
    If I open a door for an old lady it's nice to be acknowledged, but it's not something you'd lose sleep over. Sarcasm is perfect for reminding them that manners cost nothing.
    Teagan wrote:
    Then don't do the job ...

Likewise - if you don't like the customer service don't go in there.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Likewise - if you don't like the customer service don't go in there.

Well, if he is going to make me chose to stay away 'cos of his bad attitude, I don't care if he gets fired either.

Anyway, if you took that sort of attitude towards every twat of a shop assistant, you'd run out of places to shop - so it's worth the stand against them.

Furthermore, a company expects it that their staff are curteous ... if customers stayed away because of rude staff, they'd want to know.
  • Options
    Manners and politeness are nice, most people realise this. This however does not mean it's worth whinging and moaning about people who come across as a little rude. It's part of everyday life, get over it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Manners and politeness are nice, most people realise this. This however does not mean it's worth whinging and moaning about people who come across as a little rude.

Well, as you were not there and the origonal poster felt strongly enough about it to want to make a post, I guess that what they experienced was worthy of complaint.
    Skive wrote:
    It's part of everyday life, get over it.

Well, considering I did not start the topic, there is nothing for me to get over ... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I've complained about McD before. I ordered a big order at drive through, didn't check each item as it was passed to me and one of the meals was wrong (hamburger instead of nuggets in a happy meal) and the extra nuggets were missing. I phoned them when I got home. The manager was nice. He offered to replace items if I wanted to return. I said not really because I couldn't be bothered to drive back out and some people had already started eating etc. He then offered to replace the items next time I came and an extra free meal. To which I said ooh super duper. He wrote down my surname and I was a repeat customer who's next meal was free. Everyone happy.

Another time, again at drive through, the fries of a meal were cold but I noticed before leaving the area, parked up and went inside to replace. I asked for a replacement and with a cheeky grin and a wink asked for a free flurry for the trouble of gettin out my car when I wanted the convenience of the drive through. Wish granted. Repeat customer, smiles all round.

Wouldn't bother writing a letter though myself but if you did I'm sure they'd offer you a free meal.

You could write:

Dear Mr McD Manager

COMPLAINT and COMMENT

I visited your prestigious establishment on *INSERT DATE HERE*. I was pleased with my goods but dissatisfied with the customer service. The McFlurry I ordered was lovely. Unfortunately, the service was not of the quality I would expect. *Enter brief details here, you choose whether to name and shame(thoughI wouldn't)*

I would apreciate if this rudeness were compensated and suggest that this be in the form of one of your luuurrverllllyyy McFlurrys, provided complimentary on my next visit.

Your loyal customer

*you name*
  • Options
    Lol - nice one! I have had similar experiences before when they have cocked up an order or whatever. :)

In general, to complain does not mean that you need to identify a particular individual but I am sure any company would like to know when and where it's service does not hit the mark.
  • Options
    Katralla, Thanks for your advice. I wrote the letter yesterday and it goes along similar lines, although I haven't asked for freebies!

Teagan, glad to see someone who agrees with what I am saying.

I am not a moaning, whinging bitch which some of you seem to be making out. McDonalds want to know about complaints so that they can improve and then increase their market share. This is the first time I have complained and certainly don't plan on making one again but I think that if McDonalds hear what I have to say then things will hopefully get improved.

It has been good to see people's points of view though.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    Well, considering I did not start the topic, there is nothing for me to get over ... :rolleyes:

I didn't specifically aim that at you. :rolleyes:

And there are some people that just love to complain, and those people are just as irratating as those who are rude.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    A friend of mine who works at McDonalds tells me that the some of the company's outlets set their own targets on these issues. For instance, the one she works at (which I won't name, obviously) has a target that they must deal with the customer in less than 2 minutes in most cases. Personally, I don't understand the point of such targets. They don't help the customer, which leaves them angry. They don't help the staff, which just leave them desolate and watching the clock instead of attempting to help the customer.

I doubt they even help when it comes to till takings. If the staff are under pressure to get rid of people quickly, they're more likely to make mistakes when it comes to ringing money through the tills. That much I know myself, and I've never even worked in a McDonalds.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    So are you rude to customers then?
    No, even at the end of an 8 hour shift, with several managers I don't get on with, and after being up since 4.30am- starting work at 6am, I try my bloody hardest to put on a smile, and always try to treat them how I'd like to be treated.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    And there are some people that just love to complain, and those people are just as irratating as those who are rude.
    Takes one to know one, doesn't it? ;)
    your-babe wrote:
    No, even at the end of an 8 hour shift, with several managers I don't get on with, and after being up since 4.30am- starting work at 6am, I try my bloody hardest to put on a smile, and always try to treat them how I'd like to be treated.
    Well, exactly. I don't smile that much in front of customers, but I do try to keep the tone light, even when I am being shouted at over some problem which I have no control over.
  • Options
    I bought a McFlurry today and they were really cheerful and nice. On person took my money and the other went to get my ice cream :yum:
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    You know fuck all about me so what do you believe my 'ilk' to be? And why start getting personal about a general discussion on customer service?

As a general rule the same people who constantly whinge about "bad service" are the same people who whinge about the unemployed, single mothers, etc etc.
    Because you ought to know that you will always get 1 bad egg in 100 and you just get up, brush yourself down and move on to the next (and no doubt civil) customer.

Maybe you're just lucky, but its definitely more than 1 in a 100 who are rude.

I don't take abuse personally either, but as part of my job I have to deal with a load of financial advisors who are constantly rude and pushy, and are basically complete and utter cunts. It's nowt personal, they just want their commission yesterday to buy another Ferrari, the over-paid cancer that they are, but I still want to boil their heads in a chip shop fryer.

I'm not actively rude, but I sure as hell won't do a single second of work more than I have to if the customer is abusive and pushy. And that has extended to making them chase things I could have done in about two minutes, and returning entire files of paperwork if one i wasn't dotted properly.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    As a general rule the same people who constantly whinge about "bad service" are the same people who whinge about the unemployed, single mothers, etc etc.

That's the other 'ilk' - not my 'ilk'. :)
    Kermit wrote:
    Maybe you're just lucky, but its definitely more than 1 in a 100 who are rude.

It's probably higher but I tend to let most of 'em go over my head ...
    Kermit wrote:
    I'm not actively rude, but I sure as hell won't do a single second of work more than I have to if the customer is abusive and pushy.

I completely agree. Although the origonal poster did appear anything but impolite ...
  • Options
    If someone is rude by the time they are allowed to work, chances are they are going to stay rude no matter how many letters they get.

Unless those people are folk that you have to deal with every day, it's probaby not worth the effort trying to drag them up to a decent standard.
  • Options
    They do just employ anyone dont they though??
  • Options
    They do just employ anyone dont they though??

The calibre of the staff is that of people who enter NotW beauty pageants, yes.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

:lol: oh I laughed and choked on my soda at that one.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Well, I dont work in No mcdonalds thanks !

and whats wrong with entering hey, thats what its there for, Just for fun, if i have it why not show it! :yippe:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Obviously a bit of a fan of the beauty pageant then, Kermit? :p