Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Up to 25% of electorate 'might vote BNP'

124»

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    The vast majority of the ‘wall’ is actually just a security fence. It’s saved hundreds of lives since its construction – dozens of suicide bomb attacks have been thwarted. Also, the Israelis have clearly said they hope to be able to dismantle the fence following final peace negotiations. It’s not a permanent border and when the Palestinians want to sit down and negotiate a serious final peace agreement the security fence will be either drastically rerouted or dismantled altogether. Unsurprisingly and understandably however when the Palestinian government has still not renounced terrorism and violence the Israelis aren’t in any rush to pull down a fence that has prevented numerous suicide bomb terrorist attacks.

So do you support the idea of the Berlin wall or the Wall in Cyprus, that are/were to stop enemies getting into their side?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    turlough wrote:
    Shut your silly little face. Republicans in Northern Ireland may be against the State of Northern Ireland, doesn't mean they hate the British people themselves. Same as anti-Zionists.

:lol: Clueless. I don’t know about Northern Ireland, tbh I couldn’t really care what Irish republicans think but you’re truly ignorant if you think Hamas has no gripe with Jews and just dislikes Zionists. Hamas is openly anti-Semitic, it’s not an opinion – do a bit of reading mate, then I won't think you're as ignorant as I do at the moment.
    turlough wrote:
    And it is a buzz word, "anti-Semitic this, anti-semitism" that, bla bla this bla bla that! Go home.

Yet more intelligent words of wisdom. A truly fascinating analysis of anti-Semitism. While I can't say I have pure English blood I was born in this country, I'm English and I am at home so I've no idea what you mean there... :confused:
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    So do you support the idea of the Berlin wall or the Wall in Cyprus, that are/were to stop enemies getting into their side?

I don’t know enough about Cyprus to comment but I think it’s a very different situation to that in Israel. The fence in Israel isn’t ideal but it’s a temporary solution to suicide bombers. The fence has successfully prevented dozens of suicide bomb attacks saving hundreds of lives – until the Palestinians disarm their terrorist groups or some other final peace agreement is reached that removes the danger I support the fence. And if you lived in Israel; took the bus to work, went out to clubs with friends, liked to sometimes go shopping and every now and then go to a restaurant or a cafe you’d support the fence.

It's an Israeli source but I pretty much agree with their take on it.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I don’t know enough about Cyprus to comment but I think it’s a very different situation to that in Israel. The fence in Israel isn’t ideal but it’s a temporary solution to suicide bombers. The fence has successfully prevented dozens of suicide bomb attacks saving hundreds of lives – until the Palestinians disarm their terrorist groups or some other final peace agreement is reached that removes the danger I support the fence. And if you lived in Israel; took the bus to work, went out to clubs with friends, liked to sometimes go shopping and every now and then go to a restaurant or a cafe you’d support the fence.

It's an Israeli source but I pretty much agree with their take on it.

Well. Cyprus and Palestine - A foreing force invades so they close the borders to prevent attacks.

So... if France invade Britain and slaughter hundereds of Brits and launch random attacks and refugees... and British guerillas take up an illegal struggle launching attacks on French towns... and the French build a big wall to protect themselves... in your opinion it is Justified.

Nice to know.
  • Options
    Gerb, you really should realise that arguments of comparative principle, fact and reason are wasted on our young apartheid apologist. His lack of knowledge, let alone comprehension of the real underlying agendas, of the history of the conflict and excusatory PR used to villify the real victims has achieved legendary status on these boards. Only the blather of the long departed Globe and Greenhat could compare in magnitude of indoctrinated nonsense.

You'd have a better chance of instilling intellectual honesty in a Fox News junkie than awakening in dis any critical reevaluation of his colonialist-era, anti-semitic ideology of self justified bigotry, ethnocide and hatred.
  • Options
    Fair points on both sides.

I have a few points to make though!

Firstly lets clear up the difference between fascism and racism. Two totally different concepts. Fascism is the denial of democracy it is totally different to racism. eg Stalin was Fascist even though he was so Anti Nazi. Alladin denying people the right to vote for the party they want is partly fascist.

The BNP preaching hatrid is wrong but you have to catch them at it and proove that they did it and so far they have been good at hiding it. It is a discrase that their words might lead some people to violence against innocent individuals. I can never see a day though when they will win enough votes to take any form of power.

Maybe if we let in enough immigrants there will be a white minority and we won't have anything to worry about?

I think a lot of the people who vote for BNP use them as a protest vote and the governemnt needs to take that as a sign because a lot of people are annoyed about the likes of daft political correctness etc

Someone said this:
    "Shut your silly little face. Republicans in Northern Ireland may be against the State of Northern Ireland, doesn't mean they hate the British people themselves. Same as anti-Zionists."

I want to point out that people for example who hate travellers and eastern europeans are called racists yet they are all the same race. It is the same for people who hate jews or muslims. Secterianism is just a type of racism and is just as bad no matter how you brand it.
    As for republicans in Northern Ireland. I agree that there are many who are anti British but dont hate British people but there are many many republicans out there who hate British people as well and who do not accecpt one bit either the presence of British people in Northern Ireland or any form of British/Orange culture or any person belonging to it. eg Brits out graffitied all over the place. Of course some loyalists are exactly the opposite.
  • Options
    I think a lot of the people who vote for BNP use them as a protest vote and the governemnt needs to take that as a sign because a lot of people are annoyed about the likes of daft political correctness etc

yep,i still think that.
  • Options
    Shame then that 99.99999999% of alleged cases of political correctness actually never happened and it is all made-up bollocks by the right wing press.

Not to mention equally untrue bullshit about illegal immigrants and asylum seekers coming here in their hundreds of millions, getting all sort of free benefits and eating swans. All fucking lies.

In fact the Tories and the tory-supporting rags such as the HateMail, Express and the S*n have a lot to fucking answer regarding the rise of the extreme right.
  • Options
    I think it's giving your average [potential?] BNP voter a lot of undue credit to say that they're using their vote as some form of protest against political correctness and/or the current political climate.

But I can only go on the attitudes of the BNP sympathisers/voters who are known to me, I suppose.
  • Options
    Up to 25% of voters might actually be sheep disguised as humans. I hate the BNP and think they need an eye keeping on, but so far they are a joke and in no way a credible threat to this country.
  • Options
    I think saying there is no problems with the Asylum seeker situation at present is as naive as believing the BNP will win a seat in Parliament.

I think Saying 9.9999999% of all political correctness cases never happened, when we only hear about one a month in the tabloids is silly. We hear about so FEW cases because so FEW do happen.

Finally...Googler...Thanks for saying the difference between Racism and Fascism, i only did that twice already. Then again, individual arguments are between people here mean no one notices general comments anymore.

More Clandestine, i miss his posts!
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    I think saying there is no problems with the Asylum seeker situation at present is as naive as believing the BNP will win a seat in Parliament.
    So what problems are there, exactly?

Yes, a few go missing without being deported. Not exactly a national crisis. Now, what problems exactly have asylum seekers ever caused to this country?
    I think Saying 9.9999999% of all political correctness cases never happened, when we only hear about one a month in the tabloids is silly. We hear about so FEW cases because so FEW do happen.
    We hear of hundreds of cases... from no more ''baa baa black sheep'' (or whatever the nursery rhyme was) to no more this and no more that... every last one of them is a lie. The Express has actually peddled the lie about the baa baa sheep at least twice before. Same with the "Christmas being cancelled". It's all lies.

There might have been one or two cases at most of so-called "political correctness" over the years. The immense majority however are just drivel and made up bollocks from the tabloid press.
    Finally...Googler...Thanks for saying the difference between Racism and Fascism, i only did that twice already. Then again, individual arguments are between people here mean no one notices general comments anymore.

More Clandestine, i miss his posts!
    So can you be fascist without being racist? That's what Paolo di Canio was claiming when he was giving all those "Roman" salutes at football games.
  • Options
    Hard to argue really that the footballer wasnt being racist and fascist. Under the law It is not what you think you are doing but it is how other people perceive your action and people will of course perceive a nazi salute as racist!

That doesnt mean you can be fascist without being racist just like people are racist and not fascist! Stalin was fascist for example but I cant think of any racism and democratic establishments have been racist yet they have been democratic.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    So can you be fascist without being racist? That's what Paolo di Canio was claiming when he was giving all those "Roman" salutes at football games.

Until Mussolini got friendly with Germany Italian fascism never really advocated any ideas of racial superiority, until quite late on around 1938 many Italian Jews were enthusiastic supporters of Mussolini. In itself however I think fascism is racist being an extreme form of nationalism but the distinctions between fascism and nazism on these areas are too often lazily blurred.
  • Options
    Googler wrote:
    Hard to argue really that the footballer wasnt being racist and fascist. Under the law It is not what you think you are doing but it is how other people perceive your action and people will of course perceive a nazi salute as racist!

That doesnt mean you can be fascist without being racist just like people are racist and not fascist! Stalin was fascist for example but I cant think of any racism and democratic establishments have been racist yet they have been democratic.

Actually, the political theories of Carl Schmitt were based on a democractic racism. Think direct democracy of Athens, with only citizens with roots in that country being able to vote.
  • Options
    well i didnt know that but i was agreeing with you
  • Options
    Until Mussolini got friendly with Germany Italian fascism never really advocated any ideas of racial superiority, until quite late on around 1938 many Italian Jews were enthusiastic supporters of Mussolini. In itself however I think fascism is racist being an extreme form of nationalism but the distinctions between fascism and nazism on these areas are too often lazily blurred.

yeh i think that sums it up

you can be racist and nto facist, and facist and not racist........

facism normally implies the subjucation of certain groups of people, this being easiest done through wealth or race.....
  • Options
    Aladdin, i didnt say Asylum seekers were causing a problem, i said there was an Asylum seeker problem, as in how the government deals with the situation, the amount invested in it, the amount of people working on it, process asylum cases, deporting, rehousing, re-educating, etc, etc. There isnt enough money or personal involved, hence why there is huge back log and full detention centres of them.

Second, i rarely here about Political Correctness gone mad stories and i read tabloids more then broadsheets. One big story on it a month, so 12 a year is about all i hear, unless they list all the years political correctness stories in one article.

Finally, Fascism can be designed ot be based around Racism, however this is not always the case as you can be fascist but not racist. As said, Italy was fascist but showed little to no racist tendencies until after they allied with Hitlers Germany and the Nazis who were institutionally racist.