Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    Hi, not too sure if this an advice or letting of steam thread but here goes:

My best friend self-harms, I know she does it because I can see the scars, she has never ever directly told me but I've known about it for a few years. Every time I tried to ask her about it she changes the subject rapidly and I don't want to force her into a corner or anything.

The posts on her have really saddened me and I'm worried that she might share some of these thoughts but feel unable to talk to me about it. I really don't have a clue what to do I don't want to talk her Mum and Dad because I feel like its up to her and it might push her away more. We're both in our early 20's.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved! Liz x

In my opinion, don't tell her parents. This is something that she has to do, if she wants. I guess that all you could do is to tell her that you think she self-harms, and that it's okay - you don't think she is off her trolley, you're not going to get mad at her about it, you're not going to preach to her about it, etc, etc.

All you can do is be supportive. When she wants to talk about it, she will - telling her once that you believe she is a self-harmer is okay; it might give open a door that she can talk through, if she wants. Bringing it up more than once isn't a great idea - she'll end up feeling bullied about it.

I don't think there is anything you can do, other than be there for her when she wants to talk - just be a friend, go for beers as friends do, go to the cinema as friends do, and moan to her about how crappy men are. Don't hide stuff from her that you would normally tell her, but I'd try to avoid dwelling on anything likely to make her feel worse about the world.

Also, remember that I know nothing about nothing, and that my post will be about how I think I'd act in the situation I have in my head. It could involve donkeys, jelly-beans and Jive Bunny for all you know :).
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi Liz,
    Nothing is probably likely to be more valuable than the advice that people on this board can give you from experience. But here is TheSite's advice on supporting a self-harmer

Take care ;)
  • Options
    Last night my friend told me she used to cut. It was strange, 'cos I had suspected it for a while, but I hadn't seen the scars (she's told everyone they were from a cat, and they believed her), it was just other things I picked up on. We once had a conversation about times we've wanted to end it, and at that point I felt there was something more that she was hiding. Now I found out I was right.

I've only known her for a few months, and I'm really glad she told me about it. She's never told anybody else, apart from a teacher when she was at school. I'm kinda worried because I know she really likes me, and perhaps we're a bit closer than we should be (I have a gf). I think that's why she trusted me enough to tell me anyway. But I want to be there for her so much. Can I still be there for her with this, even if she might have told me because she feels a certain way about me?
  • Options
    I thought it would go away... The horrid woman at work is gone and is replaced by a hilarous nice guy. I even got taken out to lunch by him. Ed and I are slowly but surley getting better. But I can't help myself, the feeling won't stop. There is no fucking feeling. I've been laughing and smiling for the last few days, the same I have been always. There is never a reason. A decade of therapy only to find out from half a dozen therapists what I already know, that there is no underlaying problem. There is no mental or psychological distress, no nothing, nothing to explain but chemicals. Why. Fucking why. I can't stop it... I try, I try so hard yet I can't not feel like shit. Feel lonley, pathetic, loser, crying, cutting, hating... Nothing is fucking wrong, nothing has ever been wrong... why can't I stop...
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Hi, not too sure if this an advice or letting of steam thread but here goes:

My best friend self-harms, I know she does it because I can see the scars, she has never ever directly told me but I've known about it for a few years. Every time I tried to ask her about it she changes the subject rapidly and I don't want to force her into a corner or anything.

The posts on her have really saddened me and I'm worried that she might share some of these thoughts but feel unable to talk to me about it. I really don't have a clue what to do I don't want to talk her Mum and Dad because I feel like its up to her and it might push her away more. We're both in our early 20's.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved! Liz x

Unfortunately, the more you try and force her to talk and get her to open up to you the further away you will push her. And she will certainly not like it if you tell her parents - in fact, if someone told my parents that I self harmed then I probably wouldn't ever be able to trust that person ever again.

Sorry, I know that isn't what you want to hear.

Being a friend in a situation like yours is a difficult thing to be. You need to stand by her, make it clear that she can trust you and if she needs someone to talk to that you will be there for her and care for her, but you cannot push her into talking or getting help.

Sadly, there isn't much more you can do to help.

Hope it all goes OK for you xx
    my_name wrote:
    I thought it would go away... The horrid woman at work is gone and is replaced by a hilarous nice guy. I even got taken out to lunch by him. Ed and I are slowly but surley getting better. But I can't help myself, the feeling won't stop. There is no fucking feeling. I've been laughing and smiling for the last few days, the same I have been always. There is never a reason. A decade of therapy only to find out from half a dozen therapists what I already know, that there is no underlaying problem. There is no mental or psychological distress, no nothing, nothing to explain but chemicals. Why. Fucking why. I can't stop it... I try, I try so hard yet I can't not feel like shit. Feel lonley, pathetic, loser, crying, cutting, hating... Nothing is fucking wrong, nothing has ever been wrong... why can't I stop...

Ed is a very lucky guy, Manda. He has the most wonderful person as his girlfriend and he knows it. Let him support you, let him in. You need to go back to your doctors and speak to them and tell them all this.

You know where to find me if you want to talk. I am always there for you and you know it. I'm sorry I haven't been around lately but if you email me or PM me I *promise* i'll reply.

You are a wonderful person. Don't let this ruin you. xx
  • Options
    It's Self-Harm Awareness Day!! I never knew such a thing existed!

And on TV last night, I saw an advert about self-harm awareness and it looked like it was aimed at kids.

I'm so glad!
  • Options
    just been to the doctors and he said about maybe involving a community psychiatric nurse. i told him no but just so i know if it's brought up again what do they do?

yeah so cut lots again anyway.
  • Options
    Why didn't you ask your doctor instead of just saying no?
  • Options
    coz it scared me
  • Options
    Well, stop being scared, and start using your head. Are you seeing him again soon?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Well, stop being scared, and start using your head. Are you seeing him again soon?

i wish it was that easy, part of the problem being that my head has gone awol.

im seeing him in a month - i know i should have asked but it freaked me out - it sounded too serious and i panicked.
  • Options
    i wish it was that easy, part of the problem being that my head has gone awol. im seeing him in a month - i know i should have asked but it freaked me out - it sounded too serious and i panicked.
    Kim, I don't know what's provoked all this, but you know I'm here. Call me and let's talk about it.
  • Options
    I think CPN's basically visit you in your home and make sure you're managing, give you additional support and make sure you're following treatment(attending therapy, taking medication etc.)

My doc mentioned it to me quite a while ago but i refuse to tell my mum theres anything wrong so i cant exactly have mental health workers showing up!
  • Options
    i wish it was that easy, part of the problem being that my head has gone awol.

im seeing him in a month - i know i should have asked but it freaked me out - it sounded too serious and i panicked.
    Always take a breath when you've been scared by something that someone's said, because it gives you that second to think about what you're going to say next. Make sure it's the right thing.
  • Options
  • Options
    thanks everyone :)
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    can't fucking cope... too much work... too many arguements... get my results this week. need to cut. don't want to be here anymore. fucking give up.
    *Hugs*
    We all have days/weeks/months like this. For some reason. I'm not coping at the moment either and I dont know why. Even my boyf has cottoned on and asks me if I'm alright and I just tell him its PMS. You just have to find a way of coping with cutting. I haven't felt the need for about a month but they have just come back with avengence. Just remember that you not alone and that you can get a lot of support of all the board. Hows the additional support going?
  • Options
    Feel weird posting, having read these forums for about 3 years since i registered :|

Don't even get why i'm posting, suppose for a bit of support maybe.

I dont know why but recently i felt the major urge to harm, I dont know where it has come from or why but my legs look like a noughts and croses grid, i feel really ashamed, and i guess i have no where to turn (hence posting here), this is like my first set back in years. whatever.
  • Options
    I just wanna say to you guys that I'm so glad and proud that so many people are coping, or are doing their best to find ways of coping.

Personally, I haven't cut since the end of last month. Everything was just in turmoil for me, work wise, financially, personally...

But... I've started myself a new diary. A happy diary. I write in it when I feel happy, so that when I feel down I can look back to it and think: ok, doing this, being there, listening to this, watching this, or people with these people, will make me happy.
    As for the badtimes...they're reserved to my poetry scrapbook.
    I think this will really work and I'm hoping that it will. I'll let y'all know how it goes, in case anyone wants to try it out.

Also, after having a good long talk with a friend, I decided that my mentality was something that I really had to sort out myself. I think she's realised even though I haven't told her directly, that I have depressive tendancies and that I self-harm. But it's awesome that she hasn't expressed that she knows directly. She's gonna be there for support, but she really did help me realise that this was something I had to do for myself.

So, for lent, I've given up on negativity. I've done a big mental clear out, basically, and I'm feeling awesome! Yesterday was officially the best day I've had in so long. Definitely all year.

Keep it up, guys!
    x
  • Options
    Sometimes, going for a long walk by yourself helps clear your head, and help you remember what is important to you. If you pick the right place to walk, you can sit down in a field somewhere, and sob your eyes out without anyone interfering :).

Of course, if the walk doesn't help you could then go to the supermarket and stock up on huuuuuuge amounts of chocolate. :)
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    ok, so i'm in a shit lesson, all i want to do is to cut, trying not to cry. just want to go for a very long walk, and not come bk. help. eveything is getting on top of me, just dont wanna b here anymore.

I know that sometimes in the worst situations everything can just come to you all of a sudden. If this ever happens again, then just get up and leave. Just gather your things, and walk out the class. If someone asks, just tell them you feel ill.
  • Options
  • Options
    I can't sleep. Meh I hate it when things aren't good. My cuts hurt.
  • Options
    I don't want to cut... not right now... I just feel so miserable...
    8 days of doing my best to stay positive for lent has just killed me and I just feel so... meh...
  • Options
    The second you focus on not doing something, you want to do it all the more. Simple human chemistry.

Don't cut, disteract yourself. Don't focus on not cutting, don't focus on not being sad, because all you end up doing is focusing on sadness and cutting. Take each day as it comes, its not a challenge to see who's the best person at not cutting. I haven't cut for years, but then I did it the other week. There's no shame in it, really.
  • Options
    i cut deep.
    i had to wash my sheets when i woke up.
    i am drained and exhausted.
    i am tired.
    i cant keep going.
    because its all too hard.
  • Options
    be grateful its only 2 months
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    Just googled an assessment. Now even more fucking worried. Give up.

I had an assessment on my wrist when I fell off my skateboard years ago. It meant they poked and prodded for a couple of minutes, then it went in a splint :).

Anything from the medical or IT industry has to have scary names, and use big words. It is so they can appear to be better educated than the average Joe - don't worry too much about it! Instead of assessment, think of the word consultation - all they'll probably do is meet with you, ask you to talk about how you feel, what makes you feel it, etc, etc. Think of them as strangers asking the kind of questions you'd ask your best friend if you were concerned about them, and wanted to help - I guess you'll not be too far off the mark. :)

Of course, I know nothing. They may insist that their assessment involves the use of a cattle-prod, and that you have to remove your knickers. Just make sure you do what they say ;).

Chin up :).
  • Options
    I normally wear a lot of beads and bracelets, because it's my style, and partly because I'm quite ashamed. I don't have lots or very obvious scars, but I do have a few small suspicious lines over my wrist.

Today I forgot to put my bracelets on, and I noticed that I got a few interesting looks. Should I make more of an effort to cover them up? Is it friendlier and safer that way? I'm thinking more of other people than myself, here.