Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The lads mags

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You're weird.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    you think thats bold? Its not, its cowardly.

I guess its both. Cowardly for not encaging oin conversation but bold for risking a slap, a beating and a police visit/possible charges.

I am not admiring it. Just saying I could never do it.

Hell I can barely talk to random girls in clubs and pubs so I wouldn;t do that.

Mind you, the odd times I have got a dance with a girl, there was some wandering hands :naughty: :hyper:

they seemed to be ok with it though, I didn't go too extreme :)
  • Options
    I don't think its bold at all. Its a form of bullying, an abuse of power, an attempt at intimidation.
  • Options
    Well I give up. You are all mental.

All this waffle about it being down to "lad culture" and so on. Bollocks. Men do it because it sometimes works. It's fucking ludicrous to suggest anything else.
    If you have no regard for consent then you are a sexual abuser. It is pure luck that a woman is receptive to it, and luck is no basis for anything.

And if the person in question has read the "signals" wrong and thinks they have got consent when they haven't?
    There is no moral justification at all for groping someone's arse in a pub.

I agree, as it happens. I just think it's madness to make it an offence. Theres just too many variables and it's too subjective. As for it being "sexual abuse", that's horseshit too. "Oh no someone has touched my leg! (who I didn't like) Now I must have been sexually abused!!"
    a group of lads were pestering us last night and one of them put his hand down the back of my friends trousers! nobs.

And I've been forcibly stripped down by a bunch of women on a hen night just prior to shagging the "bride to be" in a nightclub toilet. Should they all go on the sex offenders register too?

Bollocks. No harm, no foul.
  • Options
    wow

I see what you mean klintock. Pretty shocking your story there. I think women are just as capable as men as being out of line and sexually assaulting people. Can't belive the bride to be shagged you though. I never belived in that idea that 1 final fling b4 marriage was ok. To be honest, a woman that could do that worries me.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    And I've been forcibly stripped down by a bunch of women on a hen night just prior to shagging the "bride to be" in a nightclub toilet. Should they all go on the sex offenders register too?
    i never mentioned the sex offenders list u idiot. i simply called them nobs.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    wow

I see what you mean klintock. Pretty shocking your story there. I think women are just as capable as men as being out of line and sexually assaulting people. Can't belive the bride to be shagged you though. I never belived in that idea that 1 final fling b4 marriage was ok. To be honest, a woman that could do that worries me.
    dont believe everything you read.
  • Options
    I'd take everything klintock says with a massive pinch of salt
  • Options
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You're weird.

Yes I know and you're normal. I pity you!
  • Options
    i never mentioned the sex offenders list u idiot. i simply called them nobs.

That was Kermit. I agree, they are nobs.
    I'd take everything klintock says with a massive pinch of salt

I'd tell you to take everything everyone says with a massive pinch of salt. (Yes, Blagsta, even Marx!) That would include women who have suffered no physical harm claiming "assault". Especially when you are about to chuck
    someone in the same boat as paedophiles and rapists.
    Klintock, I would accept anything you could find that looked like an unbiased source confirming what you were insinuating about women who complain about rape and abuse.

http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/crimprof_blog/2004/12/2_false_rape_st.html

http://www.billoblog.com/billoblog/?p=134
    While most of my practice has involved people who are clearly victims, in my image processing consultation practice I have seen multiple cases of false accusation of assault and rape. In one case, a man and a woman, both in the Navy but assigned to different ships, met and had sex while on liberty in Bahrain. The next day, the man approached the ship to which the woman was assigned and asked to see the woman to see if she wanted to go on another date. He was immediately arrested and charged with rape. Upon examination, the physical examination of the woman did not support the kind of assault she said happened, and image processing analysis of the skin injuries showed patterns inconsistent with her story. When asked for samples of the clothing and jewelry she was wearing at the time, she claimed that she had destroyed or burned them. Eventually the woman recanted and admitted the sex was consensual. It turned out that the woman was also sleeping with a noncommissioned officer also serving on the ship she was serving on, who was the person the alleged assailant asked permission of to board on the night he was arrested. When faced with her one night stand asking her lover for permission to board the ship to ask her for another date, she decided to claim rape rather than admit being unfaithful.

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:bqVd-JTHorMJ:www.reidpsychiatry.com/columns/14%2520Hall%252009-01.pdf+woman+withdraw+rape+accusation+&hl=en
    I don't think you'll be able to find anything whatseoever, in which case I'd like you to retract it. If you're going to make a statement like that then you've been around long enough to know that you have to back it up.

Try google, there are plenty more. It's hardly breaking news that people make stuff up to get out of difficulties or for other reasons, surely to fuck?
  • Options
    I think what he's saying is that the mornings regret doesn't necessarily last night's rape.
  • Options
    But a man that does it doesn't worry you? Otherwise, why didn't you just say 'someone', or 'people', instead of specifying 'a woman'?

I KNEW someone would say that!!!! I only said woman coz of the story, the context. Of course it would shock me just as equally if a man did that, and I know they do that.

Its bloody disgusting and turns my stomcah to be honest. Many people these days say marriage is dead and insult marriage. I for one believe in it and I cheating on someone anyway is just a disgrace.

For the record. If ANYONE cheats on their partner, they are in the wrong, especially in the situation kilintock described i.e. on their stag/hen do.
  • Options
    Klintock, you do know what "unbiased" means, don't you?
  • Options
    Klintock, you do know what "unbiased" means, don't you?

Look, I got links from two forensic phsychiatrists, a professor of law and a forensic pathologist.

Are you really suggesting that 100% of all claims of sexual abuse are accurate? You are really thinking that the scenario I mentioned couldn't ever happen? Do fuck off.

I'd love for some proof of that kind of bollocks. Logically, false reporting for sexual crime has to be much higher than for any other crime. Think about it.

Let's have some links for your position then, while we are on the subject.
  • Options
    False reporting is at about 2%, as it is for any other crime...

Unless you genuinely think 94% of all allegations of rape are "false", yeah?
  • Options
    False reporting is at about 2%, as it is for any other crime...
    Unless you genuinely think 94% of all allegations of rape are "false", yeah?

The statistical basis for these claims please with a nice link would be good.

I doubt it. It doesn't logically follow. False reporting will remain constant for all crimes, however rape isn't reported as often as it should be because of various factors which you will already know.

Those factors do not apply to those making claims up. Shame, feelings of loss, annihilation of self esteem and all the horrible rest of it will simply not apply to those inventing cases of rape. So false reporting is probably close to it's maximum already, while genuine rape isn't anything like reported enough. This will give extra weight to false reporting statistically.

Regardless, to say that having your arse pinched by some dickhead who has misread the situation is comparable to being raped is madness. Annoying, maybe, frustrating, maybe, intimidating, maybe. Worth locking someone up for or destroying their life over? Don't think so.......
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    What do you make of these lads mags, then? Are they any good, or just a shameless excuse to look at pictures of topless women?
    Degrading smut.
  • Options
    degrading smut that the women chose to appear in, get paid loads for the priblage, get freebies, get 5 star treatment and say they love doing it.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    degrading smut that the women chose to appear in, get paid loads for the priblage, get freebies, get 5 star treatment and say they love doing it.
    I am thinking of the reader, and society.
  • Options
    well I don't read the mags, I have read the odd few over a period of 10 years. Juts lately I have read the last 2 FHM's because of the free clander and cheryl tweedy article.

I didn't thinkt hy came across as degrading smut. I mean encourgaing of the lads drinking culture yes, but ther was plenty of submissions by women in letters and artciles and coverage and I really don't thinkt he women saw it that way.

I mean its not high brow publication by any means, in fact a good proportion of the mags are advertisements but I don't see it as any kind of morally reprehenisble literaure that has any effect on society.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    I didn't thinkt hy came across as degrading smut. I mean encourgaing of the lads drinking culture yes, but ther was plenty of submissions by women in letters and artciles and coverage and I really don't thinkt he women saw it that way.

I mean its not high brow publication by any means, in fact a good proportion of the mags are advertisements but I don't see it as any kind of morally reprehenisble literaure that has any effect on society.
    The drinking culture is a negative alone. But they encourage an attitude to sex and relationships which is shallow and impersonal. The adverts for unnecessary junk, and their encouragement of unchecked amoral materialism also have a negative effect eventually. Life is worth more.
  • Options
    but its a message plenty follow, men and women alike.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    but its a message plenty follow, men and women alike.
    I wonder how long a society with such an attitude can survive. The passing of religion and confident public morality usually signals a decline and death.
  • Options
    Who knows. Maybe it will maintian a staus quo.

not like anyone complains that much. I mean binge drinking is derided in the press and yet we are filled with images and advice to go drinking.

go figure.
  • Options
    To say "women are happy with it" is ludicrous. Go and read, for instance, the f-word to understand that much.

Some women are happy to do it, and enjoy it- such as Skive's sister who likes making pots of money from getting her funbags out for the lads- but that doesn't mean all are. Or that those who think it degrading smut should have their opinions banned.

It is degrading smut- it degrades women, it degrades men, and it degrades the whole sexual experience. I honestly can't believe that people don't think that's a problem.

There's no such thing as a harmless joke. I don't think FHM are on a cynical trip to subjugate women, but that is a direct and inevitable result of their actions.

I don't want to see FHM banned, but I do want to see it wrapped up in cellophane on the top shelf along with all the other mucky mags.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    To say "women are happy with it" is ludicrous. Go and read, for instance, the f-word to understand that much.

It is degrading smut- it degrades women, it degrades men, and it degrades the whole sexual experience. I honestly can't believe that people don't think that's a problem.

There's no such thing as a harmless joke. I don't think FHM are on a cynical trip to subjugate women, but that is a direct and inevitable result of their actions.
    here here
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Some women are happy to do it, and enjoy it- such as Skive's sister who likes making pots of money from getting her funbags out for the lads- but that doesn't mean all are. Or that those who think it degrading smut should have their opinions banned.

There's no such thing as a harmless joke. I don't think FHM are on a cynical trip to subjugate women, but that is a direct and inevitable result of their actions."

What are you on about?????

I don't see FHM holding guns to Girls Aloud, Kelly Brooke, Paris hIlton, Brooke Burke etc etc etc's heads and saying "Do our cover or else!!!"

The hight street honeys competetion is not compulsory to al women and the ones that appear int eh competeion, appear of their own free will.

The women that right in, don't deride the magazine but often say how they read it themselves.

Not all women like it not, but not everyone likes everything. And you can't speak for all women either.

I don't like the lad culture it encourages no but I don't think its that evil either.

And their are plenty of things as harmless jokes.

Why did the chicken cross the road? to get to the other side. Who does that hurt exactly??
  • Options
    I retract my "here here" for the harmless joke part. walkindude has conclusively blown that theory out of the water.
  • Options
    here here

There, there.

What a load of tosh. (Again)

All or most of the changes in "soceity" over the last few decades have come from men or women?

"If you really want to understand what a woman really thinks, which by the way is a dangerous thing to do, look at her, don't listen to her."

Oscar Wilde.

Even the most cursory glance at women's behaviour reveals that the political guff that's spewed out and how they behave simply do not match in the slightest degree.