Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The lads mags

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yeah I might well be, but I was attempting to have a discussion about objectification and then I cop a load of unjustified shit off mr. I think I have the right to reply, don't you?

Two wrongs dont make a right do they ? So if you really feel that Mr was over the top then tell him in a diplomatic way, hurl abuse and he and others will just tell you to fuck off.............but I think you know that anyhow.

You are bringing age into it and saying Mr should grow up, i could say the same about yourself by the way you have been acting in some of your posts.

God we wonder why people wont venture to this forum, I think the reason is staring you in the face.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What I am arguing is that the media and advertising have an influence on culture and ideology - and that this in turn has an effect on how people view the world.

Personally, I am inclined to agree with this point - while we may not all slavishly obey everything we read in magazines, the lad mag culture is now prevalent in popular culture to the point where we all have an opinion of it if nothing else it punctuates that a certain lifestyle may well exist.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    And what culture would you rather, you'd rather we'd all walk around like robots and not leer? While lads mags may feed the culture, it'll always be there, the leering and groping will always be there. It's an extension to the culture, so what? What are you going to do about it?

Oh for fucks sake I don't know why I bother.

Look - I have no problem with appreciating women or even a bit of lechery. What I do have a problem with, is a culture that presents women to be judged purely on their (mostly plastic) tits. I also object to language like "look at the tits on that". "Look at the tits on her" is more acceptable, but referring to a woman as "that", as an object is part of what I'm on about.
  • Options
    leese wrote:
    Personally, I am inclined to agree with this point - while we may not all slavishly obey everything we read in magazines, the lad mag culture is now prevalent in popular culture to the point where we all have an opinion of it if nothing else it punctuates that a certain lifestyle may well exist.

Thank you.
  • Options
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    Two wrongs dont make a right do they ? So if you really feel that Mr was over the top then tell him in a diplomatic way, hurl abuse and he and others will just tell you to fuck off.............but I think you know that anyhow.

You are bringing age into it and saying Mr should grow up, i could say the same about yourself by the way you have been acting in some of your posts.

God we wonder why people wont venture to this forum, I think the reason is staring you in the face.

morrocan roll is not justified in slinging his dislike of me around multiple threads. He is acting like a teenager. I don't see any problem with telling him that.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Look - I have no problem with appreciating women or even a bit of lechery. What I do have a problem with, is a culture that presents women to be judged purely on their (mostly plastic) tits. I also object to language like "look at the tits on that". "Look at the tits on her" is more acceptable, but referring to a woman as "that", as an object is part of what I'm on about.

what i have a problem with is when they get famous actresses/singers in with small breasts and quite obviously shade larger cleavage into the picture with photoshop or whatever.
  • Options
    Over centuries women have been objectified, meaning they have been treated as objects valued mostly for their physical attributes, rather than human intellect. The internalization of objectification, especially in women, can lead to negative psychological outcomes. Especially in Western culture women are evaluated according to their bodies, often times being subjected to what is called "the male gaze". Girls' understanding of the importance of appearance in a patriarchal culture may contribute to feelings of fear, shame, and disgust that some experience during the transition from girlhood to womanhood because they sense that they are becoming more visible to society as sexual objects (Lee, 1994). Young women are especially suseptible to this objectification as they are often taught that power, respect, and wealth can be derived from one's outwardly appearance (American Psychiarci Association, 1994). According to Anne Koedt, women have been defined sexually in terms of what pleases men; they have also been seen in opposition to men, making men the subject and women the object (McCann and Kim, 2003)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_objectification
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Again I think you read into things far too much.

It's you who's making the comparisons, there's no way you can positively say that lads mags objectify women. I can easily say, "my take on them is that they are just slightly lecherous and in no way objectify women"

And so what if people say "that" when they mean her, it doesn't necessarily mean the lad just sees girls as objects. I believe most males are gentlemen-like and treat women as equals, regardless if they have a few pints and say some stupid things like "Oh I'd like a piece of that ass". The one's that aren't like that, will always be pricks, regardless if they read lags mags or not.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    so what do you suggest should be done?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Again I think you read into things far too much.

It's you who's making the comparisons, there's no way you can positively say that lads mags objectify women. I can easily say, "my take on them is that they are just slightly lecherous and in no way objectify women"

And so what if people say "that" when they mean her, it doesn't necessarily mean the lad just sees girls as objects. I believe most males are gentlemen-like and treat women as equals, regardless if they have a few pints and say some stupid things like "Oh I'd like a piece of that ass". The one's that aren't like that, will always be pricks, regardless if they read lags mags or not.

So not only does the media not influence culture, but language doesn't either? Really?
  • Options
    Today the attitudes and values which informed that tradition [of the European nude] are expressed through other more widely diffused media -- advertising, journalism, television. But the essential way of seeing women, the essential use to which their images are put, has not changed. Women are depicted in a quite different way from men -- not because the feminine is different from the masculine -- but because the 'ideal' spectator is always assumed to be male and the image of the woman is designed to flatter him. (63-4)

John Berger, Ways of Seeing
  • Options
    'Oh for fucks sake mr, I'm not arguing that these mags have a direct causal effect on how people view women - not in the way that you seem to think anyway. What I am arguing is that the media and advertising have an influence on culture and ideology - and that this in turn has an effect on how people view the world. '

replace the last word with women and we have utter nonsense!
    unless of course women aren't part and parcel of the world.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So not only does the media not influence culture, but language doesn't either? Really?

Now I'm going do a you and ask, where did I say that?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Now I'm going do a you and ask, where did I say that?

You're heavily implying it by saying that referring to women as "that", as an object, does not influence how people think of women. To say it, is to objectify.
  • Options
    'Oh for fucks sake mr, I'm not arguing that these mags have a direct causal effect on how people view women - not in the way that you seem to think anyway. What I am arguing is that the media and advertising have an influence on culture and ideology - and that this in turn has an effect on how people view the world. '

replace the last word with women and we have utter nonsense!
    unless of course women aren't part and parcel of the world.

What? You've lost me completely.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You're heavily implying it by saying that referring to women as "that", as an object, does not influence how people think of women. To say it, is to objectify.

Nope because I believe when people say that in the heat of a sexual comment it's more of a subconsious thing, they say it automatically. It's no way symptomatic of a culture on a whole. If males walked around all day saying "that" and "it" in references to women then start to worry. However this doesn't happen.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Nope because I believe when people say that in the heat of a sexual comment it's more of a subconsious thing, they say it automatically. It's no way symptomatic of a culture on a whole. If males walked around all day saying "that" and "it" in references to women then start to worry. However this doesn't happen.

Exactly, its a subconscious thing - it reveals how men who refer to women as "that" really feel about women.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What? You've lost me completely.
    I'm not arguing that these mags have a direct causal effect on how people view women - What I am arguing is that the media and advertising have an influence on culture and ideology - and that this in turn has an effect on how people view women.'
    does that help?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Exactly, its a subconscious thing - it reveals how men who refer to women as "that" really feel about women.

Nope, it's more slang terminology than actually feelings.

Men don't say "My mum is a middle aged thing, it is a really good thing and it really loves me" do they.
  • Options
    I'm not arguing that these mags have a direct causal effect on how people view women - What I am arguing is that the media and advertising have an influence on culture and ideology - and that this in turn has an effect on how people view women.'
    does that help?

What is your point?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Nope, it's more slang terminology than actually feelings.

Men don't say "My mum is a middle aged thing, it is a really good thing and it really loves me" do they.

No, they don't 'cos generally men don't want to shag their own mothers.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What is your point?
    WHAAA!

THE POINT IS ...WHAT WAS YOUR POINT.
    THE ABOVE IS GOBBLEDGOOK.
  • Options
    WHAAA!

THE POINT IS ...WHAT WAS YOUR POINT.
    THE ABOVE IS GOBBLEDGOOK.

No, you've lost me again. :confused:

I think you're trying to say that if I'd written that culture affects how people view women rather than the world that it would be nonsense. However it wouldn't be - ideals of female beauty are very culturally determined. A passing knowledge of art history would tell you that.
  • Options
    I think you're trying to say that if I'd written that culture affects how people view women rather than the world that it would be nonsense. However it wouldn't be - ideals of female beauty are very culturally determined. A passing knowledge of art history would tell you that.

:eek2:

He really does have a head full of broken biscuits.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    No, they don't 'cos generally men don't want to shag their own mothers.

Come on now. You're avoiding the issue, I'm saying that men don't generally view women as objects, and in fact, when they do, it's symptomatic of a laddish culture that really isn't that much of a big deal. It'll either pass or manifest itself into something else. Like everything else in this world.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    No, you've lost me again. :confused:

do you actualy see women as some down trodden slave class
    in rags of pain and abuse?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Come on now. You're avoiding the issue, I'm saying that men don't generally view women as objects, and in fact, when they do, it's symptomatic of a laddish culture that really isn't that much of a big deal. It'll either pass or manifest itself into something else. Like everything else in this world.

So now you're saying that objectification is a recent thing? :confused:
  • Options
    do you actualy see women as some down trodden slave class
    in rags of pain and abuse?

What are you rambling about now? Or are you just avoiding the point? Again.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What are you rambling about now? Or are you just avoiding the point? Again.
    did you know that ending a sentence with a question is a feminine trait?
    did you know that constantly avoiding questions is seriously fucking annoying when your the one who makes the accusation of such behaviour more than anyone else in here?
    it was a simple question.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So now you're saying that objectification is a recent thing? :confused:

Eh no, I've already said what we see now is an extension of previous ideals, but what does it really matter anyway. You seem to think that it's some disease on the world, the people that go out and say "look at the tits on that" are more than likely the same people that cuddle up with their girlfriends, take them to the cinema or a restaurant and tell them how beatiful they are, you seem to think that because they see lots of things (including lads mags but more) that seem to objectify women that they're automatically going to do it. Then you bring in the patriarchical issue and low womens wages to either justify or back up that point. Which I think is wrong and why I think you're reading into it far too much.