Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

French riots

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No, not really. But I never expect religion to make sense.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    No, not really. But I never expect religion to make sense.

OK, I will try and explain as best I can.

It used to be that we had a hands off relationship with God, we sinned, he smote us. Simple really because we were relatively simple people.

Then Jesus came along and it changed quite a lot, we could have a more personal relationship with God.

So, the rules, which were basically social rules, like not eating shellfish or wearing the colour purple were relaxed because we had reached a point in our development where we could be trusted a bit more.

So, in really basic terms, our relationship with God in the Old Testiment is like that of a stern parent and a child, where as the New Testiment and Jesus relationship is more adult.

But I'm sure you will snear and say its all rubbish.
  • Options
    No, it all sounds eminently sane to me.
  • Options
    But I never expect religion to make sense.

Ditto Marxism for me.
  • Options
    Have a biscuit

hobnob.jpg
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    No, it all sounds eminently sane to me.

It is this balance between the Old and New Testiment which has lead to the debate over homosexuality in The Church, some saying that it was one of the rules which has been over turned, others not.

But, sex outside of marraige is pretty clearly banned so to my mind that debate is a little pointless.
  • Options
    we all have different cultures

You are not born with culture but born into culture. The French want people to assimilate into their culture instead of clinging to their own. It worked in the past for the US.
    we don't look the same

How we look should not divide us in the way that it does.
    We are all different and unique in our own way. It's why we are referred to as individuals.

I wont argue with that. It mearly backs up what I have been saying. People should not be classified into race.
    we should not ignore that fact that we are different and therefore one size does not fit all.

At some point through their parents or grandparents these people have come to live in Europe. Europe and its people should accecpt them but they should also accecpt that Europe is a different place from where their parents or grandparents came from. They need to stop looking back to the past and move forward and assimilate into the culture.
    There is no such thing as being "French", just as there is no such thing as being "British".

Is there such a thing as being "Black" or "white"?
    The point I made was the level of expectation on various cultures. Christian doesn't carry much (if any) element of open displys - such as the wearing of crosses - whereas the Islamic, Sikh, Jewish, Buddism (for example) faiths do have that.

The point I was making was that it isnt compulsory in the same way its not compulsory for other religions. Turkey banned Islamic headscarfs in certain public areas yet it is a Muslim nation. Where are the publicised cries of discrimination against Muslims there?
    In the UK we have different laws regarding trading on a Sunday. How can you say that this isn't in recognition of a Sabbath?

I didnt say it wasnt recognition! Why do you misquote me? Infact I say that:
    society does recognise religions but it doesnt necessarily tollerate them and certainly the tollerance for religions is decreasing.

Stops people making ourgaeous claims just because it suits their agenda.

Maybe you want to evidence absolutly everything you have written in A full bibliography? Perhaps you could give some eivdence to support your claim that "There is no such thing as being "French", just as there is no such thing as being "British". " Im think plenty of people would argue this is an "outrageous claim" that suits your agenda.
    Relevance being?

Im not a Bible expert but as people have already pointed out, the old testament says different things which the new testament teachings contradict.
    You set the relious leader as the guardian of morals which should be followed

Where? I never said such things! Is this another case of making "outrageous claims" that suit your agenda?

If you read what I have written I have never said that I agree with religion nor that I am religious. I said that if these people rioting were in any way religious you would expect them to uphold some sort of religious teaching!
  • Options
    Googler wrote:
    The French want people to assimilate into their culture instead of clinging to their own.

You do understand what "assimilate" actually means, don't you?
    It worked in the past for the US.

:lol:

You have a tenuous grasp on reality, don't you?
    It mearly backs up what I have been saying.

Except it doesn't. You said we are all the same. That does not equal individuals.
    People should not be classified into race.

Like the human race perhaps, we ae all animals after all.

You really need to make your mind up.
    They need to stop looking back to the past and move forward and assimilate into the culture.

Why?

Why shouldn't they hold onto their past. Every part of European culture has been formed by it's past.
    "There is no such thing as being "French", just as there is no such thing as being "British".

You disagree? If you want myevidence then a serach of these boards would give it to you...
    Im think plenty of people would argue this is an "outrageous claim" that suits your agenda.

Not around here, newbie.
    Im not a Bible expert but as people have already pointed out, the old testament says different things which the new testament teachings contradict.

Please show me where the new testament contradicts the stoning of blasphemy.
    Where? I never said such things! Is this another case of making "outrageous claims" that suit your agenda?

I believe that you said I should speak to a religious leader to see if rioting was against Christianity. Suggesting that the leader had some moral guidance to which I wasn't aware. I don't believe that he has...
  • Options
    You do understand what "assimilate" actually means, don't you?

Yes
    You have a tenuous grasp on reality, don't you?

What is the use in personal insults?
    You said we are all the same. That does not equal individuals.

We are all the same as human beings, we are different individually.
    Like the human race perhaps, we ae all animals after all.

We are one human race. I have made up my mind.
    If you want myevidence then a serach of these boards would give it to you...

If you are not prepared to search for my evidence then why should I be prepared to search for yours?
    Not around here, newbie.

Another personal insult that gets you nowhere. Weather people here agree with you or not Im sure millions more will strongly disagree with your view. Anyway you havent provided any evidence so you wont convince anyone.
    Please show me where the new testament contradicts the stoning of blasphemy.

No. If you want to find this information you should go and find it yourself.
    I believe that you said I should speak to a religious leader to see if rioting was against Christianity. Suggesting that the leader had some moral guidance to which I wasn't aware. I don't believe that he has...

People follow the guidance of Christianity weather you believe it or not is your opinion and has nothing to do with what I said.