Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

French riots

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Googler wrote:
    Im not bloody well surprised given the violent scumbag behaviour of these migrant communities. They are shit stirring with the French public who wont tollerate it.

Its interesting that you clearly see these 'migrant' communities as not French and not part of French society.

At what point might they become French do you think, third generation? Fourth? or never?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I think an ironic :yes: is better for sarcasm.

I never use smilies.
  • Options
    Googler wrote:
    If the French society is so racist why are so many players from the football team from migrant backgrounds? Many of them have come from these "ghettos" and suceeded in life.

.. and how were they treated before the 1998 World Cup?

Perhaps you should see what you can find about the build-up to this event and the comments from many of the players involved.
    People are so ungreatful of the things they accutually have. These people are living in relative luxury to so many people in the world and they are so ungreatful for it.

Erm... compared to them you have even more. So why are you complaining?
    Their parents or grandparents emmigrated to France, most of them wouldnt want to be called French as you pointed out

Who pointed this out?
    Im not bloody well surprised given the violent scumbag behaviour of these migrant communities. They are shit stirring with the French public who wont tollerate it.

Le Pen was one of the two candidates in the last round of the Presidential Election. This was before the riots.

Again, you show your lack of any historical knowledge (i.e. anything before Nov 1st 2005), it really would be worth you doing a little reading up on this issue before you make an even bigger fool of yourself.

As I said earlier your racist views just expose your ignorance on the real problems here...
  • Options
    Googler wrote:
    Their parents or grandparents emmigrated to France
    Go on, tell us that favourite expression of BNP boys: "a dog born in a stable isn't a horse" or thereabouts.
    most of them wouldnt want to be called French as you pointed out
    And you know this because you have asked them, right?

And if these people dont want to become French they should go to the nation they want to be a part of wherever that may be!
    They are French. I am afraid that the colour of their skin or their religion has nothing to do with their nationality- despite what some would claim.

Stormfront forums are that way --->

You will find many like minded individuals there (if you can speak about such people having a mind) and be far happier.
  • Options
    Its interesting that you clearly see these 'migrant' communities as not French and not part of French society.
    I think the point is that the French Govt don't want integration, they want assimilation. They want people to "become French".

When these people want to become French they will become French through assimilation into French society when they want to. They will become French when they accecpt French society and when both they dont distinguish themselves and different and the French people dont distinguish them as any different. People are people and race is only an issue when you make it an issue.
    compared to them you have even more. So why are you complaining?

How do you know I have more than these people in France? You dont know where I live, if I have a job or what I have! I am complaining about their violent uncivilised behaviour, not about what they or I have or have not got.
    Le Pen was one of the two candidates in the last round of the Presidential Election. This was before the riots.

I knew that, what is your point?
    You will find many like minded individuals there (if you can speak about such people having a mind) and be far happier.

I wouldnt be accecpted on Stormfront. My father is black.
  • Options
    Googler wrote:
    When these people want to become French they will become French through assimilation into French society when they want to. They will become French when they accecpt French society and when both they dont distinguish themselves and different and the French people dont distinguish them as any different. People are people and race is only an issue when you make it an issue.

...and French society makes it an issue when is suggests that people cannot follow their own cultural needs by outlawing headscarves etc.

When the French Govt talks about "becoming French" it means that they expect people to do just that and to lose all their other cultural and relgious identity.

What they miss is that people cannot change the colour of their skin and French society still disciminated on this basis. It is therefore not possible to assimilate because they are always treated differently.
    How do you know I have more than these people in France? You dont know where I live, if I have a job or what I have! I am complaining about their violent uncivilised behaviour, not about what they or I have or have not got.

Erm... because you don't have rioters in your streets? Or maybe because you have access to websites like this...?
    I knew that, what is your point?

Erm.. how about that France has a large racist population? Thus refuting your claim that the reason that 25% of a poll support Le Pen intervening was because "the violent scumbag behaviour of these migrant communities. They are shit stirring with the French public who wont tollerate it."

It looks like it's the skin tone and relgion which they won't tolerate. Not the violence.
    I wouldnt be accecpted on Stormfront. My father is black.

.. and "some of my best friends are Muslims"...
  • Options
    What they miss is that people cannot change the colour of their skin and French society still disciminated on this basis. It is therefore not possible to assimilate because they are always treated differently.

Every society has prejudices. I am not denying that they dont exist but lets be realistic about this, 95% of people are not racist and if the media would stop making such a hugh issue of the difference between people then people would stop making an issue of it too. You are wrong in saying people are always treated differently they arnt most people dont treat you any different.
    When the French Govt talks about "becoming French" it means that they expect people to do just that and to lose all their other cultural and relgious identity.

Culture and religion are the problems here. The would would be a better place without religions so I dont disagree with the French approach and culture is meaningless today, we live in a globalised world and our culture is so similar.
    because you don't have rioters in your streets? Or maybe because you have access to websites like this...?

There was rioters out on my streets only a few months ago. Scumbag loyalists who live in my area. Me having access to websites like this means nothing. If you have ever travelled in your life you would find that the internet is everywhere and some of the poorest people in the world have the internet. Am I supposed to pay for this website or something.
    It looks like it's the skin tone and relgion which they won't tolerate. Not the violence.

Society doenst tollerate religion anymore, not just Muslim religion but religion in general. If these people were in any way religious why are they out rioting on the streets? These people are scum and not one bit religious just like the "protestants" and "catholics" in Northern Ireland.

It is wrong to vote for these extreme right wingers before and after what has happened but these communities are only making problems worse for themselves. More and more French will vote for these right wingers if this continues.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I never use smilies.
    You must try it sometime. It's fun. :cool:
  • Options
    More and more French will vote for these right wingers if this continues.

I am sure that these riots have nothing to do with the french rejection of "terrorism" and the rejection of the EU constitution either. Wouldn't a nice, right wing government just love to go balls deep into the EU to secure it's borders?
  • Options
    Since when has morroco been part of the EU aladdin?
    I did say once in the EU they have free movement and no boarder control, thsat inclused spain and italy. where italy boarder other nations and spain boarder france the controls are very slim and along east europe there is hardly anything, its easy to avoid and smuggle in and out of the countries. the iron curtain is gone!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    klintock wrote:
    I am sure that these riots have nothing to do with the french rejection of "terrorism" and the rejection of the EU constitution either. Wouldn't a nice, right wing government just love to go balls deep into the EU to secure it's borders?
    :lol:
    I'd love France to declare itself out of the EU. Build huge defnses round it's borders... and have it's armed forces crushed in seconds. Again.
  • Options
    Googler wrote:
    95% of people are not racist

Generraly, in the UK I would agree with that (although I'd say the percentile was slightly lower than that.

But we are talking about a country where there is larger support for Le Pen...
    the media would stop making such a hugh issue of the difference between people then people would stop making an issue of it too.

But we are different. I agree that we should focus on the similarities but we do have different cultures and different expectations/behaviour as a result. To pretend that isn't the case is partly what causes the problems which the French are finding now...
    You are wrong in saying people are always treated differently they arnt most people dont treat you any different.

We are talking about a Govt which outlaws things like Mulism dress codes in school. That is perpetual discrimination...
    culture is meaningless today, we live in a globalised world and our culture is so similar.

Is it? I don't fast during Ramadan, I don't pray five times per day, I eat pork, I drink and I gamble...
    Society doenst tollerate religion anymore, not just Muslim religion but religion in general.

Examples?

Just to undermine your points, can I ask if you will have any Bank Holidays during December...?
    If these people were in any way religious why are they out rioting on the streets?

Does religion outlaw rioting then?
  • Options
    But we are different

People are not different, their skin colour is different.
    we do have different cultures

You are not born with culture, culture is created by society.
    We are talking about a Govt which outlaws things like Mulism dress codes in school. That is perpetual discrimination...

No its not discrimination because ALL symbols of faith are outlawed. This is a good example of how religion is not being tollerated by society.
    can I ask if you will have any Bank Holidays during December...?

Of course I will but times are changing and with more religions wanting their own holidays, it wont surprise me when in the future these religious holidays are done away with. Places have started opening even on Christmas day ie woolworths in Southall in London. Sundays are no longer a sabbath day for many people and businesses all around the country are open on Sundays. Like I said before society does not tollerate religion any more.
    Does religion outlaw rioting then?

I am not a muslim I cant speak for them but I know this type of behaviour is totally condemed in Christianity.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I never use smilies.
    you ought to, it helps.
  • Options
    you ought to, it helps.

I dont like them, I've never used one.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I dont like them, I've never used one.

Do it! :mad:

:p;)
  • Options
    Googler wrote:
    People are not different, their skin colour is different.

People are different, and I see you have glossed over the part where I highlighted some differences. Do you want me to repeat those things which I don't do (because they are not part of my culture) but which Muslims do...?
    You are not born with culture, culture is created by society.

You are born into a culture. What culture is luck of the draw but it affects your upbringing and therefore you future. Pretending that it doesn't exists does not mean that it isn't there.
    No its not discrimination because ALL symbols of faith are outlawed. This is a good example of how religion is not being tollerated by society.

It is an example of a society, not society in general. And you have to look at who is most affected by this law. Is it the Christian where there are no expoectations about dress code, or the Muslim where there is...?
    Of course I will

Thus undermining your point. Society does recognise some religions then?
    with more religions wanting their own holidays

...evidence?
    I am not a muslim I cant speak for them but I know this type of behaviour is totally condemed in Christianity.

Where and how? I'd like you to quote passages of the Christian Bible which outlaws rioting...
  • Options
    Where and how? I'd like you to quote passages of the Christian Bible which outlaws rioting...

Love thy neighbour?
  • Options
    Thou shalt not riot? Hee hee

Not sure where, but there are instances of rioting/mass public violence in the bible aren't there? (Ephesus rings a bell) Not religious at all, but just seem to remember instances from RE back at school.
  • Options
    Seeing as the Bible advocates murdering your neighbour if you catch a glimpse of them working on the Sabbath, I don't think anyone can suggest Islam is more condoning of violence...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Seeing as the Bible advocates murdering your neighbour if you catch a glimpse of them working on the Sabbath, I don't think anyone can suggest Islam is more condoning of violence...

Thats the Old Testiment, which is a bit fire and brimstone but Jesus said didnt really apply anymore. So its more an issue for Jews than Christians.
  • Options
    People are different

Peoples culture is different not the people get it right.
    Pretending that it doesn't exists does not mean that it isn't there.

The idea of the French is to allow those born in France to be born into a French culture. I dont see a problem with that.
    And you have to look at who is most affected by this law. Is it the Christian where there are no expoectations about dress code, or the Muslim where there is...?

It is not obligitory for Muslims to wear their head scarf just as it is not obligitory for Christians to wear a cross. Who is most affected is not the issue, this issue is that this law does not discriminate but bans all religious symbols.
    Society does recognise some religions then?

Yes society does recognise religions but it doesnt necessarily tollerate them and certainly the tollerance for religions is decreasing. If my jobs involved me working every Sunday and I didnt want to because of religious beliefs there is nothing I can do about it.
    I'd like you to quote passages of the Christian Bible which outlaws rioting...
    ...evidence?

This is becoming more and more tedious. I dont even have a Bible in the house and I am not about to go scouring the internet for some reference just to earn the respect of some message board geek who I dont even know.
    Maybe you want to evidence absolutly everything you have written. A full bibliography please.
    I think the other person on the board put it quite neatly in a few words "Love thy neighbour" Go and speak to the local minister in your church and he will condem this behaviour. Muslims and other religions have called for their own public holidays in the past and again Im not going to scour the internet to find a website that has a story on the issue. I dont care if I dont have the respect of you people and I dont care if you think I am a violent right wing nazi for my views.
  • Options
    Googler wrote:
    Peoples culture is different not the people get it right.

So everyone behaves the same, has the same perspectives? The fact that you and I disagree would suggest otherwise. I have dark hair, Chris Evens' hair is red, I wear glasses my wife doesn't.

Accept it, people are different.
    The idea of the French is to allow those born in France to be born into a French culture. I dont see a problem with that.

Why shouldn't that "French Culture" include multiple faiths and symbols, multiple races etc?
    It is not obligitory for Muslims to wear their head scarf just as it is not obligitory for Christians to wear a cross.

I didn't say "obligatory", read again...
    it doesnt necessarily tollerate them and certainly the tollerance for religions is decreasing.

Evidence?
    If my jobs involved me working every Sunday and I didnt want to because of religious beliefs there is nothing I can do about it.

Except choose to do a different job?
    This is becoming more and more tedious.

I'm sorry, does backing up your claims bore you?
    I dont even have a Bible in the house and I am not about to go scouring the internet for some reference just to earn the respect of some message board geek who I dont even know.

Erm.. actually it's got nothing to do with respect and everything to do with the rules of these boards. If you cannot evidence a claim then you should say so.
    I think the other person on the board put it quite neatly in a few words "Love thy neighbour"

Is this the neighbour I stone because he blasphemes?
    Go and speak to the local minister in your church and he will condem this behaviour.

Probably.

But then he's likely to condemn homosexuality too...
    I dont care if I dont have the respect of you people and I dont care if you think I am a violent right wing nazi for my views.

At least you won't be disappointed then...
  • Options
    I have dark hair, Chris Evens' hair is red, I wear glasses my wife doesn't.

The fundamental similarity remains, we are all human and to believe that some difference in our skin colour or where our parents are from should in any way divide us is outrageous.
    Why shouldn't that "French Culture" include multiple faiths and symbols, multiple races etc?

It does.
    I didn't say "obligatory",

I didnt say you did.
    certainly the tollerance for religions is decreasing.

Sundays are no longer considered the sabbath for many businesses.
    Except choose to do a different job?

Yes except choose a different job. The point remains though, certain businesses dont tollerate the religious obligations people have.
    does backing up your claims bore you

Yes and it is a waste of time.
    it's got nothing to do with respect and everything to do with the rules of these boards.

There are things you know that you havent got evidence for. I know that in space there is no air. I dont have evidence for it. I could go and waste my time to find this evidence but I cant be bothered. Perhaps the rules should be changed.
    Is this the neighbour I stone because he blasphemes?

New testament vs Old?
    he's likely to condemn homosexuality too...

And that has what to do with what I said?
  • Options
    Googler wrote:
    we are all human

We are all human, that is not questioned. However we are all different within that - we are not clones. We all have different likes and dislikes, we all have different expectations, we all have different cultures, we don't look the same and we don't behave the same. We are all different and unique in our own way. It's why we are referred to as individuals.
    to believe that some difference in our skin colour or where our parents are from should in any way divide us is outrageous.

I didn't say it should divide us. What I said was is that we have many similarities which should unite us, however we should not ignore that fact that we are different and therefore one size does not fit all.

This is where the French let themselves down. There is no such thing as being "French", just as there is no such thing as being "British". Those are only the elements where similarities exist. Over and above that are those things which make us different.

So, whether that is recognition of our various cultures, or abilities and skills or even taking into account our "disabilities", society does need to recognise that differences exist.
    I didnt say you did.

You're right, you didn't. But you reply was about obligation which wasn't the point I made. The point I made was the level of expectation on various cultures. Christian doesn't carry much (if any) element of open displys - such as the wearing of crosses - whereas the Islamic, Sikh, Jewish, Buddism (for example) faiths do have that. French law makes such displys unlawful in certain areas. Thus it discriminates.
    Sundays are no longer considered the sabbath for many businesses.

In the UK we have different laws regarding trading on a Sunday. How can you say that this isn't in recognition of a Sabbath?
    Yes and it is a waste of time.

Because it's not possible to back up your claims, or because your points aren't actually relevant to the issue?
    Perhaps the rules should be changed.

Perhaps it's there for a reason? Stops people making ourgaeous claims just because it suits their agenda. Immigration policy seems to have alot of problems in that area...
    New testament vs Old?

Relevance being?

Aren't both part of the Bible?
    And that has what to do with what I said?

You set the relious leader as the guardian of morals which should be followed. The Church's stance on homosexuality puts that into question.
  • Options
    Relevance being?

Aren't both part of the Bible?

It can make a big difference, as I said above, Jesus in his teaching said that a lot of the set rules laid down in the Old testiment are no longer applicable, it was now far more to do with each persons personal relationship with God.
  • Options
    So the 10 commandments are out then?

Cool :cool:

Neighbour's ass, here I come!
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So the 10 commandments are out then?

Cool :cool:

Neighbour's ass, here I come!

I didnt say all of the Old Testiment.
  • Options
    So we can pick and choose?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So we can pick and choose?

Given I am far from being a Biblical scholar I dont think I'm the best person to ask.

It has to do with the rules like not eating shell fish, which at the time probably would have given you the shits. Those sort of hygiene and such rules are not really applicable anymore, where as the big ideas ones (10 commandments) are.

If that makes sense.