Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Girl who hanged boy gets 12-month referral order

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    sectioning her and giving her good long term therapy might be an idea
    What "therapy" would you give her?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    With regards to supervision I believe the kid was in the homes garden, and his mother had 'just nipped inside' when he wandered/was lured away and attacked........

According to the Telegraph, the mother went inside to "do the washing up.

There appears to be no evidence of him being "lured away"

She pleaded guilty to ABH and 'perverting the course of justice' - ie making up a story to try and get herself out of trouble.

Apparently she was already in foster care.

Some people on this thread have way too much faith in prisons as a way of sorting out emotional disturbance..........
  • Options
    I agree. However until the support is there and working then we should be protecting five year olds from her wouldn't you say?

yes - but not indefinately!
  • Options
    Some people on this thread have way too much faith in prisons as a way of sorting out emotional disturbance..........

I dont think so, most people know they are god awful places, but thats not really the point, if she is a persistant threat then she does need to be restrained some how.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I dont think so, most people know they are god awful places, but thats not really the point, if she is a persistant threat then she does need to be restrained some how.

Sorry bb, but what evidence is there of this child being a "persistent threat"?

The majority of kids I worked with after they had come out of secure units and detention centres tended to pose a persistent threat to themselves and others.

In fact, I think it would be fair to say that the institotions that "restrain" children are superb at the creation of "persistent threats".
  • Options
    Sorry bb, but what evidence is there of this child being a "persistent threat"?

I didnt say she was a 'persistant threat' I said if she is then restraint is about the only option we have. What form that restraint takes is obviously also up for debate.
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    No offense (honestly) but do you always take it personal when someone makes a question so he can understand something better?
    How have I taken anything personally?
  • Options

I disagree. I think that their faith is in the detention preventing the person who is "disturbed" from hurting another person. There is little consideration of the "disturbed" individual.

On the other hand there appear to be people on this thread who think that a long term solution should be the only action taken. I'm not convinced that they are correct either. Until the "emotional disturbance" is addressed an treated (if it can be treated) then the remainder of the public should be protected. Bearing in mind that we cannot force sedative drugs into people, somtimes that protection mean incarceration. You may not agree, but then you do not have to tell a parent that their child has just been found hanging from a tree...

It's worth noting that in this case, there isn't just one child who is "emotionally disturbed" now...
  • Options
    If her emotional disturbance stems from the death of her mother than is most assuredly can be treated, and should be treated. Yes she should be punished, even when dealing with overwhelming grief there's not excuse for this kind of behaviour.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    If her emotional disturbance stems from the death of her mother than is most assuredly can be treated, and should be treated. Yes she should be punished, even when dealing with overwhelming grief there's not excuse for this kind of behaviour.
    Overwhelming grief is no excuse for torture.
  • Options
    I find this whole thing bizarre.

She's 12. Some adults don't know what they are doing some of the time.

As for her being "disturbed" and this somehow "causing" her to injure the child, it doesn't scan for me. She's had a bad few months, but that doesn't mean anything. There are people who take life on the chin without muss or fuss. Perhaps we are too quick to delve into the various phsychological angles like they must happen.

What I think she wanted was to be left alone. If she really wanted to hurt him or kill him she could have finished the job once he was tied up.

She didn't. She also tried in her own way to make amends as soon as she realised something was wrong. I just see a confused youngster who has fucked up a bit. I think the magistrate got it exactly right.

(wow - that's a first)
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Overwhelming grief is no excuse for torture.
    Where did I not say that?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Where did I not say that?
    It is irrelevant to the case that she saw her mother dying.

I agree with klintock that psychological trauma is too often wheeled out as a catch-all excuse for any behaviour. Yes, she may very well need bereavement counselling, but that should be aside from any punishment she receives.
  • Options
    Where did I say she shouldn't be punished?!
  • Options
    I agree with klintock that psychological trauma is too often wheeled out as a catch-all excuse for any behaviour. Yes, she may very well need bereavement counselling, but that should be aside from any punishment she receives.

I don't think she needs punishment. Perhaps the boys parents need it, maybe the boy does. (need her to be punished I mean) that's not a good reason to punish her though. In fatc, it's the worst one i can think of.

I don't think counselling does a lot either. Let the past be the past and get on with things is the best way I have seen for dealing with things.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Where did I say she shouldn't be punished?!:

See, what did I say, she must have had something traumatic happen. Kids don't just try and kill other kids.
    If you excuse the crime, you imply that the punishment is not appropriate.
  • Options
    I excused nothing. I said that there would have been something traumatic happen. That excuses nothing
  • Options
    Either way, it's the same crime as the Bulger case and should receive the same punishment.
  • Options
    No, the bulger case resulted in death. It's not the same case, and therefore should not receive the same punishment.
  • Options
    Either way, it's the same crime as the Bulger case and should receive the same punishment.

Utter fucking shite.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    No, the bulger case resulted in death. It's not the same case, and therefore should not receive the same punishment.
    Only be luck rather than judgment though.

OK that's utter shite, but I believe that her actions are neither excusable nor any less horrific than those of the Bulger killers.
  • Options
    Well, they were, because the boy didn't die.

I think you're being unusually irrational Kentish.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    If you excuse the crime, you imply that the punishment is not appropriate.

What does "excusing the crime" actually mean to you? You are of course aware that the bench takes 'mitigating factors' into account when determining the sentence, are you not?

She was punished - she was given a 12 month referral order.

I don't see anyone arguing that that was too much.

Kermit is claiming that we should measure this against the 30 month sentence that an 11 year old buy got for setting fire fire to a wheelie bin. Except of course, that wasn't all the boy did - he also attempted to set fire to an occupied Working Men's Club and was already on referral, parental and supervision order for offences that include burglary of 5 homes.

There is no evidence that she attempted to kill the boy, so she admitted to ABH and 'perverting the course of justice' - and that is what she was sentenced on.

It is the hang em and flog brigade who believe the sentence is not appropriate in this instance. To write off a child of 12 who has recently watched her mother die is cold, callous and heartless.

So now she is two boys, and the boy is 2 and DEAD?

Why does kermit keep telling me that you speak sense?
  • Options
    Post deleted
  • Options
    source please.
  • Options
    Post deleted
  • Options
    source please, seriously, it's nothing more than hearsay until you provide something for us to go look at.
  • Options
    So now she is two boys, and the boy is 2 and DEAD?
    OK OK, I'll engage my brain before posting this time.

I think that she should receive a punishment befitting a crime of the magnitude that she committed. She is older than the Bulger killers, did it without someone to egg her on, and victimised a much older child. These 3 things point to a dangerous individual and therefore I believe the crime is of the same magnitude.

So the child didn't die in this case - true - but not because she prevented him from dying. Hanging someone from a tree doesn't normally constitute playful adolescent antics.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    source please.

Indeed a source would be useful.

According to the Telegraph article I cited above, she was cautioned in the past for assault on a child of her own age.

The Mirror tells us 2 other things that need to be taken into account:
    Anastasis Tasou, defending, described the girl - who has a mental age of seven or eight - as "mixed-up, scared and lonely, with many problems".

"The boy latched on to her. He was often left to his own devices to wander around the area. She told him to go away. But he refused.

The parents of the boy appear to have little justification for their outrage if there is any truth in that second claim.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Well, they were, because the boy didn't die.

I think you're being unusually irrational Kentish.
    I can't accept the liberal, Guardian-reading, sandal-wearing excuses in this case. She's committed a horrific crime and that should be made clear.