Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Girl who hanged boy gets 12-month referral order

Story.

It's hard to adequately sentence young people, but there cannot have been a single mitigating factor in this case that would not merit this little scrote of a child getting a serious detention and Training Order.

Effectively she has got away with trying to kill a little boy. When you consider the hyperbole that came with the Bulger case, this case absolutely stinks.

The girl should have been put behind bars for a long time.

I seriously think that Magistrates are on crack most of the time.

As if to give this case some background, an eleven-year-old who set fire to a working men's club got 30 months inside.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not often that I am lost for words, but cases like this do it for me every time.
  • Options
    What are about her human rights? What right do we have...Can't resist.
    Everything about this case is harrowing. This country is heading in the wrong direction when 12 year olds can do things like this and get a way with it. Time for a change I think. We must go back to Conservative values and show people their actions have consequences.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    she should be put into something that'd make her regret it like hell for the rest of her life. Forced Labour, methinks.
  • Options
    It's the same crime as in the Bulger case really. A child attacking another for no good reason.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    It's the same crime as in the Bulger case really. A child attacking another for no good reason.

What sentence did those boys get?

This is stupid, tbh...
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    she should be put into something that'd make her regret it like hell for the rest of her life. Forced Labour, methinks.
    She's still just a child.

Though I agree with kermit, clearly there's something going on in the child's background to cause them to do such things. In the bulger case, both boys had severe family traumas behind them. While they don't excuse such extreme behaviour, at the very least she should have been placed in care for some sort of treatment and councilling, but more realistically, placed in a young offenders insitute.

She's probably just a screwed up little girl, she needs help, and should get it, if we still live in the same kind of country that an adult woman who abuses her children to near death deserves the same.
  • Options
    I don't think that kids in prison or long term custody is the right thing. In other countries they deal with child murderers very differently and don't allow the huge amount of sensational press reporting that they seem to get away with in this country.

The boys who killed James Bulger were treated terribly by the press, they were able to get help for their own terrible childhood traumas and to start new lives after spending time in custody.

with a bit of luck this girl wil get the help she so obviously needs and will go on to lead a better life.
  • Options
    I dont know, on the one hand we have an obviously disturbed child who needs care, on the other we have the desire to punish her for the horrid crime.

A youth offenders prison is possibly the worst place to send her, not only are they vile places but it will only make her worse.

Its just a shame we dont have anywhere decent to send disturbed kids in an effort to punish and help at the same time.
  • Options
    Would I be right in thinking that a Boy who'd hanged a girl would have probably been treated like the Bulger killers by the press and gotten a much harsher sentance.
  • Options
    Problem is that many kids and young adults do stuff 'wrong' but they really don't see why they are wrong, so what use is punishment really!

kids need to be taught what it means to be a part of a caring society where there is a real work ethic and an understanding of community.
  • Options
    Mr Tasou said his client had witnessed her mother dying on Christmas Eve last year and it had had a traumatic effect on her.

"My client was present when attempts were made to resuscitate her mother.

That must have been traumatic for anybody, let alone for a 12-year-old girl."

Source

Clearly locking her up in a shit place is the best thing for everybody.......

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    See, what did I say, she must have had something traumatic happen. Kids don't just try and kill other kids.
  • Options
    I dealt with an 80 year old woman who had done something similar in less enlightened times and had spent years in various institutions and nuthouses, being doped up and given electroshock etc.

The sound of her voice when she pleaded "it was only a game!!" as she told me her story won't be leaving me any time soon, I can tell you that.
    Problem is that many kids and young adults do stuff 'wrong' but they really don't see why they are wrong, so what use is punishment really!

Children these days often have very little idea of the punishment a human body can take. They get all their ideas from TV, where men routinely fly through the air, get up from terrible beatings and heal terrible injuries in seconds (or never get injured at all).

The amount of murders, ressurections and violence that children see daily is incredible. It's tantamount to violation. Most adults are so inured to it that they don't even see the problem, which is a problem in itself.
  • Options
    byny wrote:
    with a bit of luck this girl wil get the help she so obviously needs and will go on to lead a better life.

I agree. However until the support is there and working then we should be protecting five year olds from her wouldn't you say?
  • Options
    I agree. However until the support is there and working then we should be protecting five year olds from her wouldn't you say?

sectioning her and giving her good long term therapy might be an idea
  • Options
    Does anyone think it might have been different if he'd actually died?
  • Options
    sectioning her and giving her good long term therapy might be an idea

You do know what that would mean dont you, you know what those places are like?
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    Does anyone think it might have been different if he'd actually died?
    Well, of course, there's no way they'd have given her a non-custodial punishment if the boy had died.

What's your point?
  • Options
    Has anyone got any ideas on what exactly a 5 year old child was doing out unsupervised?

Naturally a traumatised child who has watched her mother die before her very own eyes in the last 12 months should be seperated from the rest of her family and placed in one of those institutions that are so famous for nurturing the emotional needs of disturbed children (and throwing in a bit of sexual, emotional and physical abuse to boot).

Notice how most of the press coverage failed to mention her mothers death.

They wouldn't have been able to manipulate you quite so effectively if they'd mentioned it.

:(
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    See, what did I say, she must have had something traumatic happen. Kids don't just try and kill other kids.
    I don't understand how this kind of a traumatic experience would make someone do that. Though I imagine that's a question for the psychology forum.
  • Options
    That's probably because you've never had something that traumatic happen to you.

I was screwed up enough just my mum dying at that age (and I was her age) let alone having to watch, and be helpless in the face of it.

The system has failed her, just as much as it can be argued to have failed the victim and his family.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    No offense (honestly) but do you always take it personal when someone makes a question so he can understand something better?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    The system has failed her, just as much as it can be argued to have failed the victim and his family.

Does she have any other family, it seems odd you mention 'the system' meaning I presume the government. Surely the first port of call for help should be the family.
  • Options
    Loads of kids see their parents die, they don't all go out and try and kill children because of it. She should be treated with compassion, but letting her get away with almost killing somebody is not in anybody's best interests.

I used another example from the same city to give the case some perspective. One boy lights a bin and gets thirty months DTO, this girl attempts to murder a boy and gets a referral order. I don't care how much mitigation there is, she needed to be punished for what she has done.

And if she is so disturbed that she tries to kill a boy because he "pissed her off", which is what she said, then she is a danger to the public and needs to be treated as such.

I don't believe custody is always suitable, but in a case of s18 GBH or attempted murder there should be no option but that. Especially when just down the road a lad of the same age got thirty months for setting fire to a bin.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I used another example from the same city to give the case some perspective. One boy lights a bin and gets thirty months DTO, this girl attempts to murder a boy and gets a referral order. I don't care how much mitigation there is, she needed to be punished for what she has done.

Erm, he didn't get 30 months for the act of setting fire to a wheelie bin though, did he?

He also lit a fire in an occupied Working Men's club and furthermore:
    the boy had also been the subject of a referral order last October. In June supervision and parenting orders were imposed after he had committed five house burglaries, criminal damage and possessing cannabis.

Furthermore, her referral order was for assault and lying to the police, not for attempted murder.

A 5 year old should BY LAW be supervised, no?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I don't believe custody is always suitable, but in a case of s18 GBH or attempted murder there should be no option but that. Especially when just down the road a lad of the same age got thirty months for setting fire to a bin.

Even if that custody will probably screw her head even more?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    "She's only a child." and all that and "Oh, five year olds parent's, blah blah blah."

ANY other failings, regardless, the fact of hte matter is:
    How many normal 12 year-olds try to murder people? Something is obviously up here, she needs punishing or examination. If she is nuts, which I doubt, give her treatment. If she isn't, she needs to learn a lesson.

Then again, this shows up once more how mcuh our legal system needs a complete strip down and rebuild. Preferably with new parts.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    How many normal 12 year-olds try to murder people? Something is obviously up here, she needs punishing or examination. If she is nuts, which I doubt, give her treatment. If she isn't, she needs to learn a lesson.

Then again, this shows up once more how mcuh our legal system needs a complete strip down and rebuild. Preferably with new parts.

So you think trying to murder a 5 year old might be the choice of a rational 12 year old girl?

I agree with your later statement though. Dont worry, we wont have this bothersome trial stuff soon.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    So you think trying to murder a 5 year old might be the choice of a rational 12 year old girl?

Probably not, but that's hardly the point.

If she is prepared to hang a boy by his neck because he is "following her around" then she is a danger to the public, and needs to be treated as such. If she's screwed up she should get help, but that help should be given at a place where she cannot nearly kill more children.

Yes, the other boy had a string of anticedence. But the fire was put out immediately, and it was not a serious fire. 30 months for fire versus nothing for bringing a boy within seconds of death because he was "annoying"? Sounds like a very dubious decision.

I don't know what the girl was finally convicted of, "assault" is such a vague term. I expect it was a s20, simply to prevent the defendant from being tried at a Crown Court instead of in front of some demented magistrates. It seems to be that more time has been spent protecting this girl than has helping the boy and his family come to terms with what happened.

This sentence stinks. It's rare that I say that.
  • Options
    With regards to supervision I believe the kid was in the homes garden, and his mother had 'just nipped inside' when he wandered/was lured away and attacked........