Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Girl who hanged boy gets 12-month referral order

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    She has. No-one has said otherwise. What must be taken into consideration is the girls own problems.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    OK OK, I'll engage my brain before posting this time.

I think that she should receive a punishment befitting a crime of the magnitude that she committed. She is older than the Bulger killers, did it without someone to egg her on, and victimised a much older child. These 3 things point to a dangerous individual and therefore I believe the crime is of the same magnitude.

So the child didn't die in this case - true - but not because she prevented him from dying. Hanging someone from a tree doesn't normally constitute playful adolescent antics.

Where is your proof that she hung him? Where is your proof that she didn't prevent him from dying? She untied him and phoned for an ambulance.

I've just cited a claim that she had a mental age younger than the Bulger killers (in fact it raises genuine questions of legal capacity, does it not?)

You seem to have little understanding of traumatised kids, and a real desire to traumatise them more.
  • Options
    Where is your proof that she hung him? Where is your proof that she didn't prevent him from dying? She untied him and phoned for an ambulance.
    I wasn't on the jury and I wasn't her defending barrister. I only base my opinion on the media reporting.
    I've just cited a claim that she had a mental age younger than the Bulger killers (in fact it raises genuine questions of legal capacity, does it not?)
    It certainly does, but doesn't make her any safer though. That's a matter for the courts to decide.
    You seem to have little understanding of traumatised kids, and a real desire to traumatise them more.
    I think I remember reading about a 5 year old boy who was involved in the case somewhere along the lines. He was pretty traumatised by it all I would have thought.

Punishing the culprit surely prevents more traumatisation of other kids?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I wasn't on the jury and I wasn't her defending barrister. I only base my opinion on the media reporting.

Source please?
  • Options
    There needs to be a middle ground - ultimately she needs to be punished but for this to be productive she needs some kind of "ethical rewiring", as it were, because from the sound of it she doesn't understand WHY it was wrong and WHAT effect it is going to have on the poor little boy and his family.
  • Options
    ultimately she needs to be punished

Can I ask why you think this is?
    be productive she needs some kind of "ethical rewiring",

Theres been some scary programming you have been subjected to I can see that much.
    WHAT effect it is going to have on the poor little boy and his family.

What effect DID it have? Does anyone know? Did anyone ask?
  • Options
    leese wrote:
    There needs to be a middle ground - ultimately she needs to be punished but for this to be productive she needs some kind of "ethical rewiring", as it were, because from the sound of it she doesn't understand WHY it was wrong and WHAT effect it is going to have on the poor little boy and his family.

Hows about she is made to:

1) Do specified activities
    2) Attend counselling where she will be confronted with the awful reality of what she did
    3) do some form of community service such as picking up litter as well?

:confused:
  • Options
    The point is - punishment isnt going to do as much in the first instance for the fundamental fact that it is well possible that she doesn't understand WHY it was wrong, she knows it was wrong but she does not understand the physical and emotional impact more than it just happened. To me, punishment in whatever form is unconstructive until the person accepts or understands their actions.

Why are we so horrified by this case? Not only is it because such young people are involved, but because we fundamentally know that the action was wrong - more than that, we UNDERSTAND it to be wrong - it is more than having it instilled in us morally, it affects us emotionally on many levels - we relate it to our own children or those we know, and just a downright abhorration of mindless violence in any form.

When I was working with children I just saw more and more that have become sort of what I called "morally blank" - they just did not have a concept of what right and wrong even was, so it was impossible for them to be disciplined, because their parents had not instilled it in them yet or had ambiguous ideas themselves. If they couldn't see right or wrong then they did not fully understand punishment.

That is to say, I think punishment - in a way judged most suitable for the crime (which is up to a child psychologist) should come after a breakthrough in understanding with the child, when they can appreciate the severity of their actions - otherwise it is just like shouting at a brick wall
  • Options
    To me, punishment in whatever form is unconstructive until the person accepts or understands their actions.

This begs the question, why bother punishing them then?
    When I was working with children I just saw more and more that have become sort of what I called "morally blank"

That's where we all start from. There is no morality, just what you can get away with. This is always true. Morality is just lazy thinking about events.
    crime

Just someone else's opinions, forced onto others through violence. No morality there either.
  • Options
    good post leese

:)
  • Options
    The parents of the boy appear to have little justification for their outrage if there is any truth in that second claim.

Please explain this comment, why shouldn't they be outraged?
  • Options
    leese wrote:
    they just did not have a concept of what right and wrong even was, so it was impossible for them to be disciplined, because their parents had not instilled it in them yet or had ambiguous ideas themselves. If they couldn't see right or wrong then they did not fully understand punishment.

I can understand that, however you are again talking about something which can only be resolved in the long term. What therefore is your proposed short-term solution to protect the public from someone who doesn't understand right from wrong?
  • Options
    Please explain this comment, why shouldn't they be outraged?

I don't recall saying they shouldn't be outraged.......
  • Options
    I don't recall saying they shouldn't be outraged.......

Back a couple of days and already avoiding a simple question, Mr Pedant.

Can you explain the comment you made? Why would the parents of the boy have "little justification" for their outrage?
  • Options
    Back a couple of days and already avoiding a simple question, Mr Pedant.

Can you explain the comment you made? Why would the parents of the boy have "little justification" for their outrage?

Well, I see no reason to accept you misrepresenting what I say..... and I think you'll find its one day actually.

Heres the quote again:
    "The boy latched on to her. He was often left to his own devices to wander around the area. She told him to go away. But he refused.

He was 5 ........
  • Options
    He was 5 ........

And?
  • Options
    And?

Is that supposed to be a serious question?

• Options
    Is that supposed to be a serious question?

Yes.
  • Options
    Yes.

You think that its okay to leave a 5 year old unattended?

• Options
    You think that its okay to leave a 5 year old unattended?

Define unattended, define the "area" he was supposed to wander.

And regardless of those aspects, why shouldn't the five year old be left unattended. Should the parent be expecting him to be abused?

Funny how you seem to excuse the physical abuse and yet imply contempt for the freedom of the victim.
  • Options
    Define unattended, define the "area" he was supposed to wander.

And regardless of those aspects, why shouldn't the five year old be left unattended. Should the parent be expecting him to be abused?

Funny how you seem to excuse the physical abuse and yet imply contempt for the freedom of the victim.

5 year olds have freedom?

Thats amazing!!!

I don't have freedom and I'm quite a lot older than that.

5 year olds need supervision.

If he ran into the path of an oncoming vehicle on a blind corner, would you be calling for the driver to be hung by the balls?
  • Options
    If he ran into the path of an oncoming vehicle on a blind corner, would you be calling for the driver to be hung by the balls?

If the driver was speeding or using his phone then yes, actually.

But that's not the point, really.

If this girl does not understand right from wrong to the extent that she ties a boy to a tree by his neck, and has him seconds from death, simply because he's irritating her, then she is a danger to the public. Simple fact.

Tying a boy by his neck to a tree and almost killing him is a deliberate act. Not being able to avoid a collision is not a deliberate act.

Using the same logic you are applying to this case, the parents of Sarah Payne have no right to be aggrieved that their daughter was raped and murdered.

I would suggest that charging this girl with a s47 was an act of great leniency too. Anyone else and it would have been a s18, no questions asked.
  • Options
    5 year olds have freedom?

Thats amazing!!!

I don't have freedom and I'm quite a lot older than that.

So, Mummy won't let you walk down the road on your own? You poor lad, I'd call Childline if I was you. :p
    5 year olds need supervision.

They need supervision to ensure that they don't put themseleves in danger, I agree. That does not mean that they need watching 24/7, you have to give them chance to make mistakes as well. Now, if the parent is happy that the child walks in an area which is "safe" then I am happy for a child of that age to be left to their own devices. In fact, I do it myself with my children.

However, that does not excuse, mitigate or remove any responsibility from a person who seeks to harm them. It isn't the parents who abused this boy, it's the girl. She is responsible here and you can make as many "excuses" as you like about her upbringing but the fact remains that she nearly killed him - of her own violition.

Whilst it's laudible that you always seem to champion the underdog, sometimes I think you need to accept that people are responsible for their own actions. Where they have acted criminally, they should accept the serious punishments which may follow rather than try to excuse themselves. It's easy to find excuses, it's not easy to face up to responsibility.

No. But then the driver isn't acting with the intention of causing harm, is he?
  • Options
    If this girl does not understand right from wrong to the extent that she ties a boy to a tree by his neck, and has him seconds from death, simply because he's irritating her, then she is a danger to the public. Simple fact.

You see, she might have understood that it was wrong, but not understood what damage it could have caused to him. Our children live in a world of make-believe where anything is possible and it all gets sorted out (in the heroes favour) within a nifty half hour time span.

How does punishing her get her to find a sense of right and wrong?

It obviously has the opposite effect.
    Using the same logic you are applying to this case, the parents of Sarah Payne have no right to be aggrieved that their daughter was raped and murdered.

I don't see what the victims families feelings have to do with being just. The whole point of having a "justice system" is so that we don't hang people from the nearest tree when we are upset, surely?

I thought the whole point of the exercise was to get people to modify their behaviour in future and make amends for the past. This is why prison doesn't work.
    you need to accept that people are responsible for their own actions.

This but mystifies me totally. How does taking responsibility away from the girl do this?
    Where they have acted criminally, they should accept the serious punishments

Why though? It doesn't work and doesn't make amends either.

Having a "criminal" system just puts power into the hands of people who are far far worse than any serial killer or rapist and more mad than any sociopath.
  • Options
    Has anyone got any ideas on what exactly a 5 year old child was doing out unsupervised?
    :(

That`s what I was thinking .. where were the parents in the first place?
  • Options
    That`s what I was thinking .. where were the parents in the first place?

Are you suggesting that a five year old should never be out of a parent's sight?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Our children live in a world of make-believe where anything is possible and it all gets sorted out (in the heroes favour) within a nifty half hour time span.

... including when they do something wrong there is always someone areound who will point the finger of blame elsewhere... it's TV, Music, Education, the Parents etc...
    How does punishing her get her to find a sense of right and wrong?

Erm...isn't this a basic for of rearing children... even in the animal world a "nip" will soon tell an offspring that they have done something wrong...
    This but mystifies me totally. How does taking responsibility away from the girl do this?

Because you cannot see that accepting a punishment is part of accepting responsibility.
  • Options
    Are you suggesting that a five year old should never be out of a parent's sight?

I just wanted to know where were the parents?

And where did the girl get the string to tie him up in the first place? I reckon there`s loads of pieces of info missing on those reports.
  • Options
    I just wanted to know where were the parents?

But why is that even relevant? It wasn't his parents who abused him, let remember where the blame for that little act lies...
    And where did the girl get the string to tie him up in the first place? I reckon there`s loads of pieces of info missing on those reports.

We don't know, and perhaps that is an interesting question - although it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Just a thought though, what are you suggesting, that she had some help, that perhaps the parents were involved some way?
  • Options
    ... including when they do something wrong there is always someone areound who will point the finger of blame elsewhere... it's TV, Music, Education, the Parents etc...

Well I wouldn't do that. I wouldn't go from blissfullignorance to total responsibility, criminalisation etc all in one go either.
    Erm...isn't this a basic for of rearing children... even in the animal world a "nip" will soon tell an offspring that they have done something wrong...

This isn't a "nip". This is showing the child that external forces will come and "do things" when she fucks up. What happens when she fucks up and those external forces don't notice? Hello, and welcome to the world of the career criminal. It also shows her at exactly the same time that her own (admittedly feeble) attempts to make amends are of no consequence.
    Because you cannot see that accepting a punishment is part of accepting responsibility.

It's a "punishment" unconnected to the original offence in any but the most abstract way. Children, like Klintock, don't do abstract very well. As well as this, the being interviewed etc were probably just as traumatic as the actual "punishment" but are supposed to be seen as not part of it. Again there is a disconnect between what happened and the "punishment" that's just not healthy.

If I wronged someone and then no matter what I do to make amends a great big bully comes along and locks me away for it, I fail to see how that makes amends to the person I have wronged. I would just seek to avoid the bully in future, as any other logical person would. This is the lesson that's being tsught, and it's a bad one.