Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Attitude

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jim V wrote: »
    parental expectations, dealing with a friend of the opposite sex, whether you can feel in love too soon in a relationship, dealing with the memories of an ex, getting together with a friend, not calling after getting someone's number, being too sociable, making a relationship serious, condoms being too tight, what cream can reduce a hicky, sorting out shaving rash/spots on a bikni line, how to wake up fresh in the morning, the affect of medication on sex drive, why to avoid exercise after an abortion, if reflexology socks are any good, how to deal with a doctor who isn't interested in providing a referral to a counselling service, how a doctor will examine and treat a mole, why a psychologist might ask about previous life experiences when dealing with a phobia, issues about body size, the possible side-effects of someone else using coke, possible identification of an unknown pill, possible bad coke, the ways and means in moving out, how to delivery money to a foriegn bank account, access to gas and electricity meters, dealing with a website posting innacurate quotes for promotional reasons, how to handle a noisy neighbour, where to buy bikinis, where to get a certain style of shorts, advice on bra fittings, claiming incapacity benefit, why MSN disconnects at midnight, how to get to world 4 and 7 in super mario DS, where to get a beta of Office 2007, how airlines treat rucksacks, what Aegina is like as an island, what US wages are like in San Deigo, suggestions for places to visit in Western Ireland, what the uni requirements are for medical degrees, what marks are required to pass a Food Hygiene Certificate, what courses to approach in someone's next year, how to make yourself stand out with a 2:2, what grade a 65% mark is, how recognised the ECDL is

That's crying out to be put on a t-shirt :yippe:
  • Options
    Lol i lost interest in that Subway thread like 5 pages into it, kinda sorry i did now. Looked like it was fun! :(
  • Options
    Read the first and last pages. Pretty funny.
  • Options
    Cheers. I haven't read it yet, but I'm failing to comprhend how a thread about sandwiches ends up pissing everyone off. Did Kermit want pickles and no-one else did?

fuck I love the pickles.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    That's crying out to be put on a t-shirt :yippe:
    Is that a challenge? :p
  • Options
    Did Kermit want pickles and no-one else did?

the bastards gave me tomato when I specifically said no tomato :mad:
  • Options
    Cheers. I haven't read it yet, but I'm failing to comprhend how a thread about sandwiches ends up pissing everyone off. Did Kermit want pickles and no-one else did?

Lol my thoughts exactly. I'm gonna have to check this thread out now too.
  • Options

It's not really getting personal or about attitude. Some of us like chains, some of us don't.

In my experience, the way fast food companies treat their staff is disgusting, as well as the fact they're killing local business, destroying the planet, many of them have very poor animal rights records and let's face it... The food (I believe) doesn't taste good. ESPECIALLY not Subway.

But then I'm a big fan of homecooking and make everything from scratch (and my burgers are better tasting, I can prove it at the meet if ya want).

I don't see how displaying an opinion means you have attitude. If Kermit had said "all people who eat at Subway are bastards" or something, then it'd be attitude.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Namaste wrote: »
    I don't see how displaying an opinion means you have attitude. If Kermit had said "all people who eat at Subway are bastards" or something, then it'd be attitude.

Read the whole thread.

'Defective tastebuds', 'plastic food for plastic people'

?????
    Namaste wrote: »
    But then I'm a big fan of homecooking and make everything from scratch (and my burgers are better tasting, I can prove it at the meet if ya want).

And so am I.

It's not either or.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    'Defective tastebuds', 'plastic food for plastic people'

If you think that's abusive you're going soft in your old age.

If that's terrible abuse then as far as I can see every thread in the fashion forum should be shut immediately.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote: »

It's not terribly abusive, but you're still wrong.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

It may not be abusive but a lot of your posts were rude and pretty inconsiderate of people's opinions

Ok but lets not bring this into another forum - keep it in the Subway thread! (which i personally think should be moved to P+D and then people could reeeaaaaaally let rip! :eek: )
  • Options
    Ah no because then all the P&D bunch will start posting on it and I won't be able to! As soon as something is moved to P&D I lose the ability to post on it and hold an opinion :razz:
  • Options
    hmm .. some people do have a disgusting attitude from time to time in this place.. it doesnt bother me too much but the likes of 10 people jumping at someone new for text speak irritates me.. all it takes is one person to politely say, not a crowd of people to jump down their throat, pretending that a few misplaced letters is completly unreadable ..

as for the discusting attitudes.. if people said some of the things they do on here to peoples faces theyd end up gettin knocked out by someone right n quick.. but sure its easy to put up a big hard front on the internet eh

im not overly fussed and it makes some things mildly entertaining, some people take this place way too seriously :thumb:
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    It may not be abusive but a lot of your posts were rude and pretty inconsiderate of people's opinions

As far as I can see, none of the Subway posts were aimed at anybody in particular.

While some of the posts in the thread had a bit more bite, at least he backed up his opinions with why he thought that. People got the point he was making, but I think people can be oversensitive about things like this.

It stimulated a bit of debate too, the thread wouldn’t have evolved into a decent debate than If he’d just said “Nah, I don’t like Subway”.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »

Why should I immediately respect and be considerate of someone's opinions just because they hold that opinion?
  • Options
    Why should I immediately respect and be considerate of someone's opinions just because they hold that opinion?

It depends on the subject. Personally, if I felt their opinion was misinformed, then I obviously couldn't fully respect it (though I would respect their right to express it). But if I saw that the person had seen all the same evidence as me, and simply came to a different conclusion, and I could see how, then I would respect that. On something that can only ever be subjective, such as how good a sandwich tastes, or how good a particular band is, you kinda have to respect someone elses opinion. They've seen/tasted/heard the same evidence as you, and come to a different opinion. I don't see how you can't respect that.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

Now I'm not about to get into the ins and outs of this - of who's right/wrong or whatever. But based purely on the above quote -

I can't believe I'm about to quote a rule to you Kermit, but you leave me with no choice:
    You will respect the opinions of others. Just because you don't agree, it doesn't give you the right to make personal attacks on that person.
    and just so we're clear, a personal attack does include an insult.

ETA: I've only just seen the subway thread - have to agree with Bri I think.
  • Options
    Not all opinions are worthy of respect- I wouldn't respect a racist.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

Hence why we also have a separate rule to say that racism isn't tolerated here - but I do get where you're coming from though :)
  • Options

But a racist opinion is one that is based on ignorance. I wouldn't respect someone's opinion if they said they thought black people were superior to white people (though I would respect their right to hold that opinion). If someone said they found black girls more attractive than white girls, however, I would respect that opinion, because that's all it is. There's a difference between an opinion based on ignorance, and the opinion of someone who just happens to have come to a different conclusion to you.
  • Options
    Tbh, if I had something I needed genuine advice on with regards to my personal life, I would PM one or two particular users, rather than post it on the boards.

me too. I have had support in the past off these boards, but I am under no illusion about the fact that some people get better treatment than others on here, just because of who they are or how long theyve been here.
  • Options
    I must also say though, that although the aim of thesite is to be a place where people can get advice and stuff, then they can get pretty unbiased advice and information from the actual sections dealing with certain issues.
    As has been said, its a bit much to expect members of a bulletin board to act as therapists or counsellors etc for random members of the public when we all are just random members of the public ourselves. The board members in general are just like the audience members of Trisha or Jeremy Kyle. You might get some gems of wisdom in there somewhere but if you want it to be just proper advice and help, then youre better off having a non-public board where people can just ask questions to selected professionals and get an answer later.
  • Options
    I think we should also remember as well that because most people (self included) didn't agree with the point Kermit was making they made more of an issue out of it. Most of the people would have kept quiet and not taken him to task if it they happened to be on his side of the argument.

It was just a generalised rant in all honesty.

Anyhow, I don't see the point in all this. Let's not pretend that it's just one person that's has an attitude "problem", and I don't see why one person should have to justify what they post than anyone else.
  • Options
    The board members in general are just like the audience members of Trisha or Jeremy Kyle.

How very dare you.
  • Options
    How very dare you.

Just think of the children!!!
  • Options
    :D

"Were you using con-tra-cep-tion Madam?"
  • Options
    the voice of reason!
  • Options
    How very dare you.

That made me laugh :D
  • Options
    Lol where did mine and Violettes posts go?!