Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Attitude

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I know SG isn't that bad, just everytime I've read "shyboy" in this thread it registered in my head as Stargalaxy.
  • Options
    My feeling is that you meet people with bad attitude in the outside world, so I wouldn't expect the internet to be free of them.

This place has some, a lot of it gets deleted, and every other forum has the same sort of thing to some extent.

Honestly I think sometimes people get a bit too offended by what are fairly innocuous words, and I wonder how they get by in the outside world where the banter can sometimes be harsh. Sometimes I think some folk haven't actually learnt some of the life lessons that teach you how to deal with people - maybe because they have been wrapped in cotton wool all their lives. In some cases (not all) I think the person on the receiving end of the "attuitude" sometimes needs it.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Whilst that sounds fine, too often someone will have a legitimate question and other posters will fling insults or put them down if they don't agree with certain facets of what's being said. If someone has an issue - say an unplanned pregnancy - and the reason is that they didn't use contraception, I'm willing to bet that there will be a 'wise few' who think their opinions of the stupidity of the poster are somehow a very valid and very important point to make.

I agree with that. It does my head in when someone is asking for help and someone will come along and have a go at them, either calling them stupid or have a go because of their typing.

eta: I'm talking in general. I'm not talking about alasia because that was over several threads and was very frustrating.
  • Options
    What extreme behaviours are you talking about? Are you talking about Kermit in the Subway thread, because that's what I thought this thread was about.

As far as I can see the last hostility in either sex, health or relationships was about Alasia and people expressing their opinion that she should have an abortion, and that was in reference to her problems after a series of threads by her and not just in reference to the OP.

Who are you actually talking about? Ok so thesite is a welcoming environment or whatever you quoted and maybe people should be more helpful than they are but I think overall a lot of good advice and support is given and received here and I can't see the problems you claim to be stating. I can however see what I think you have posted about and are now trying to cover it up with other things.

ETA - just read Lipsy's post. Is this about Sweet Cheeks' many Valentine's threads where people made comments about her spelling and whatnot? Because she was pointed in the direction of the user's guide several times early on and made no attempt to type more legibly, or less pink. And it didn't stop her coming back either!
  • Options
    What "extreme behaviour"? I'd be interested to hear a few examples, and I'm not being remotely facaetious.

I think people are mostly very polite, tolerant and generous with their time and experience on these forums. But we're all human and we aren't paid to be here as you said yourself ShyBoy, so expecting everyone to ahere to some code of conduct more restrictive than the rules that are already stated is not viable in my opinion. Everyone gets pissed off from time to time, we're human, we're discussing some pretty emotional and personal topics a lot of the time.

As for people talking to others on here in unacceptable ways, I've only ever seen that in P&D and though of course it's never excuseable it is a lot more understandable in the context of a lot of the topics that are discussed in there.
  • Options
    I think that thesite is not the place I would post any of my problems or ask for any emotional or practical advice on anything of any importance. There are too many nasty unempathetical jizz-faces on here.
  • Options
    ^^ Which is a shame really as that's what it was intended for.

I think if I had some things I wanted advice about I would definitely create a new account and set several people to ignore before I posted.

P&D is another matter, I go through phases of going no where near it with a barge pole because it starts to do my head in.

One of the problems with any written communication is that lack of tone, you can't tell if someones joking, if someone's being sarcastic, and they can't tell how someone is going to take what they say. Some things can be hard to express exactly what you mean with what kind of tone which then causes problems.
  • Options
    Although I can see where some of you are coming from about not being able to ask for advice, I think that is really sad and tbh I can't really understand why you think that. The only time I wouldn't be able to ask for advice about something was if it was to do with the boy, because he is a member and things, but I knew that when I got with him so it doesn't bother me much.

Ho hum :chin:
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I think that thesite is not the place I would post any of my problems or ask for any emotional or practical advice on anything of any importance. There are too many nasty unempathetical jizz-faces on here.

Really?

It's funny because I genuinely feel the exact opposite way about the vast, overwhelming majority of people on here - especially the people who take time out of their lives to advise on health and relationships specifically.

I guess I must've missed these offensive posts people are always referencing.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I agree with Briggi.

There are 2 main reasons I wouldn't ask for advice on here: the first being that 'im indoors is a member and that would bother me slightly. The second being that a lot of people on here know me quite well and IRL so I have lost that little bit of anonimty, which is something I like.

Yes, there is bitchiness. But I feel that those who genuinely need advice, generally get it. The bitchiness and frustration is when people are being told the same thing over and over again and advice is just ignored time and time again. Or, after a gentle warning about text speak, continue to give attitude about what they can and can't say / write.

So yes, that is my tuppence worth :)
  • Options
    Or, after a gentle warning about text speak, continue to give attitude about what they can and can't say / write.

:yes:.

ShyBoy - you said that you think people go overboard on the text speak thing, but imo it IS only when they are being told over and over again that it is against TheSite etiquette and that they shouldn't do it. The original text speak point is usually made as a "I know you're new, please don't txt tlk, [link]" type thing. The only time it goes a bit OTT is when the person ignores that and says "if you don't like it don't read it" or similar.

*shrug*
  • Options
    Really I think people only get attitude on here when they give it out in the first place. In which case they deserve what they get.
  • Options
    The last few first time text talkers I have seen have been well and truly leapt on.

They may get away with it in introductions but anywhere else they can expect a good attacking and accused of being 12.
  • Options
    They shouldn't text talk then! It does make them look 12 :p
  • Options
    I agree that some people have a shit attitude but what can you do. I don't think that should really stop people from asking advice because there are tonnes more nice and helpful people who answer which outweighs any negative stuff people say

I usually only have a problem when you say something and people leap on you and completly blow what you said out of proportion, or they act like you can only have one extreme opinion or another, not somewhere in the middle. But that usually only happens in P+D which is fair enough, and I generally keep quiet in there for fear of writing something that comes out a bit wrong and having to spend 5 pages trying to explain myself!
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »

Tbh, if I had something I needed genuine advice on with regards to my personal life, I would PM one or two particular users, rather than post it on the boards.
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    Really?

It's funny because I genuinely feel the exact opposite way about the vast, overwhelming majority of people on here - especially the people who take time out of their lives to advise on health and relationships specifically.

I guess I must've missed these offensive posts people are always referencing.

I couldn't agree more!

When I first read the thread I instantly jumped to the same conclusion as Kermit (that it was about him!) because he can be somewhat intimidating in P&D! However, I'd say he's pretty much the resident guru in home, law & money and can always be relied upon to give a well thought out and educated response. His advice to me in the past in that particular forum has been invaluable, to the point where people have started to write 'Kermit will be along in a while with some better advice.'

I've seen soooo many of these threads that they're getting boring now. :( Shyboy, surely you knew this would turn into a bitchfest!
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    Really I think people only get attitude on here when they give it out in the first place. In which case they deserve what they get.

I agree with that. Sometimes you'll get people claiming to be asking for advice, and then proceed to attack anyone who doesn't say exactly what they want to hear. And what do you expect in that case?
  • Options
    Hmmm. I actually feel a bit bad that I never really give advice to people. But I don't really have the experience or knowledge to help in a lot of cases.

Hmmm.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote: »
    Hmmm. I actually feel a bit bad that I never really give advice to people. But I don't really have the experience or knowledge to help in a lot of cases.

Hmmm.

Your entertainment is much better than most advice.
  • Options
    Text talk isn't normally leapt upon as a first offence, but when people repeatedly point out the Good Manners Guide (something that Wildchild Karen and a few others spent hours preparing) and it gets ignored then I don't see why people should be polite to them. As a condition of joining this community you are expected to write in something approaching English, and if you can't be arsed to abide by that then I don't see why you should be treated with kid gloves. I will attack text talk, but I won't attack poor spelling, if the person is obviously just writing to their ability. Not everyone can spell.

As BumbleBee says, I'm not sure what the point of this thread was, to be quite honest. Either you have the courage of your convictions to criticise certain members, or you keep schtum. If there's one thing I can't abide it's this whole "people who shan't be named" rubbish- if you believe something you name and shame, and if you don't believe enough something to name and shame then you keep quiet. This whole thread seems to have been an attempt to bitch about people without having the balls to confront them face-to-face. The only time I won't name is if it will betray a confidence (of which I hold a few)- but in this case that isn't relevant.

I do ask for personal advice sometimes, but not under this screen-name. That isn't because I think the advice would be poor, more that GWST and I are part of the furniture now, and there isn't the anonymity that I'd otherwise have.

I don't care if people want to have a go at me, I think I can sit here fairly safe in the knowledge that I have contributed more to this website- and not just the boards- than many others. I just wish they would be more honest about it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who seems to consider this thread as very thinly-veiled dig at me, although not exclusively me.

If people feel that I'm not welcome here anymore then feel free to let me know, and if you're someone I respect I will listen. With regards to the Subway thread its interesting that most of the people I respect (Briggi, Heather, Abbie) agreed with me, at least in part- the only one who didn't was Skive.

SkyBoy, you're not the only one to be making thinly-veiled digs about specific users- Stacey- but you should know better by now.

P&D is a different kettle of fish to the rest of the website, especially as the average age in there is much higher (AFAIK Blagsta, Aladdin and MoK are all in their 30s). If you come in and spout ill-informed nonsense you'll be attacked for it, but if you can explain why you think something you won't.

I'd love to see some of these "offensive" posts referenced, just for my own amusement.
  • Options
    ai. funny is good. i often say things like 'i dunno' so... i guess i'm not the most helpful of posters either. lol
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Do you ever feel like some people have a permenent attitude on here? It's really getting on my nerves now. Frequently putting others down or some such, like their opinion is fact.

Just a small rant. I think it's really rude and people should learn to treat each other with respect.

I'll just say though that it's only one or two really, but I expect it's because it's just the internet. In real life nobody would be so rude to someone's face, because they'd get a punch probably.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6379621.stm

. :yes:
  • Options
    You know when I made this thread, just for what it's worth, I'd completely forgotten about the subway thread. Yes Kermit, I think you are one of the ones who can be 'blunt' to put it one way, but please will you get over the idea that I was trying to have a dig at you personally. I'm so fed up reading threads where people have a problem, and then some people - sometimes yourself, sometimes not - come in with their irrelevant opinions that do nothing really except make the OP feel stupid. Way to go. I really don't see the point in making posts on a website that purports to support young people, just putting them down. If you have some constructive criticism that's fair enough, but I get annoyed when I see posts (in general) that don't offer any advice, but just have a dig at the OP.

I didn't want to mention names for what I felt were obvious reasons - it turns into a big bitchfest then. But what am I to do? I told you in one thread I thought you were being rude, but you carry on doing it in other threads. You're not the only one, but you seemed to waltz into this thread and say 'it's me, it's me!'. I didn't want to make a dig at any particular user. I wanted to express my distaste at the posts that just attack people without offering advice.

It's fair to say that you may think it's just a load of rubbish, but as with any discussion there is people who think one thing and people who think another. Some people do think that some posts made on the forum are too arrogant, and too blunt, and may well put off new members. There are some that think otherwise, and I wanted to make a statement to them like I did in the first post that it was frustrating and annoying me. Why's it got to be a personal thing all the time?
  • Options
    I don't think it was personally directed at me- contrary to popular opinion I aren't that arrogant- but I really do fail to see what the point of this thread was. I also think you have certain posters in mind, and if you're going to create a pointless bitchy thread about nothing you might as go the whole hog and name them.

What are these mythical posts? The only one I can think of that was inappropriate was g_angel telling alasia to have an abortion, and that was mostly borne out of frustration at her asking the same goddamn question every 20 minutes. Sweet Cheeks deserved all the abuse she got because she failed to heed polite requests to abide by the rules and etiquette of the community.

Whatever the point was, I hope you are now relaxing with a beer.
  • Options
    Beer? :mad:

Cunt...whooooooooop a whooooop a waaaaaaaaaaaap!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    I don't think it was personally directed at me- contrary to popular opinion I aren't that arrogant- but I really do fail to see what the point of this thread was. I also think you have certain posters in mind, and if you're going to create a pointless bitchy thread about nothing you might as go the whole hog and name them.

What are these mythical posts? The only one I can think of that was inappropriate was g_angel telling alasia to have an abortion, and that was mostly borne out of frustration at her asking the same goddamn question every 20 minutes. Sweet Cheeks deserved all the abuse she got because she failed to heed polite requests to abide by the rules and etiquette of the community.

Whatever the point was, I hope you are now relaxing with a beer.
    policing "thesite" as ever :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Beer? :mad:

Cunt...whooooooooop a whooooop a waaaaaaaaaaaap!

Areet, a buckie or six fer ye, ye wee cunt :p
    Mad Mac wrote: »
    policing "thesite" as ever :rolleyes:

What are you wittering on about?

Either you join and abide by the rules and etiquette of the community, or you piss off. It's not too much to ask.
  • Options
    Areet, a buckie or six fer ye, ye wee cunt :p

What are you wittering on about?

Either you join and abide by the rules and etiquette of the community, or you piss off. It's not too much to ask.

you have always been the same! its the rules according to kermit.you leap on any opportunity to belittle people....you always have!

i remember you saying that you thought you were getting too old for this place,that was 2 years ago........your still here bullying young people.it must give you a hard on!
  • Options
    P&D is a different kettle of fish to the rest of the website, especially as the average age in there is much higher (AFAIK Blagsta, Aladdin and MoK are all in their 30s). If you come in and spout ill-informed nonsense you'll be attacked for it, but if you can explain why you think something you won't.

I'm really not convinced by that. If you disagree with some people (Aladdin springs to mind) in P&D, then whatever you say and however well you explain your reasons you will get leapt on and your posts and opinions attacked viciously, even if it's not a 'personnal' attach by everyones definition.