You may be asked to reset your password when you try to login. This is part of a system update and is genuine, so it's safe to go ahead and do that. If you no longer have access to the email address you used to register, please email us at [email protected] rather than creating a new account. Apologies for the inconvenience.

self defence

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This one's quite good as well. Forget the end sequence, which is a mass brawl with a few techniques thrown in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtGrGfRihV8

As well as this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35e-d2H3ja4
    1983 wrote: »
    You'll learn everything you need to from Jean Claude Van Damme films...and/or from Mr Miyagi in Karate Kid.

hehehe
    Muay Thai kick boxing is amazing as is Boxing.

For self-defence however, something like Kung-Fu or the many styles of Karate should suit.

Ideally, look for classes that brand themselves as "self-defence classes".
    I have been training Wing Tsun Kung Fu for 5 years and love it... it depends what you are looking for but WT is very much based on street fighting and self defence. You couldn't put it in a ring to compete as it relies on eye strikes/elbows etc.

Also as a woman it is perfectly designed for me as it uses intelligence and sensitivity rather than brute strength - excellent when you are training with a guy 6ft plus and built like a brickshit house :)

I couldn't recommend it more as an effective form of self defence!
    I currently am taking Okinawan Shyri-Ru Karate, Taekwondo, as well as Judo.

Honestly, I watched many of the videos that people have posted, and while they are very flashy, I have yet to be impressed compared to my current training.

Anomie: "It's not particularily stylistic like Karate, but Karate isn't gonna help evade an alley attack."

I have alot of trouble believing this, though this may be true for other forms of karate, but in the Okinawan Shyri-Ru form, we learn plenty of single as well as group self-defenses, knockout punches, as well as grappled attacks.

I believe your best bet honestly for self-defense would be to choose from, or mix boxing, Muay-Thai, or Shyri-Ru Karate.

That's just me though.
    :shocking:
    yeah. thanks for all the advice guys and the video links.
    i'm seriously considering boxing/kickboxing.
    i've found a few clubs close. just need to get a bit of free time to start. :)
    cheers!