Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

self defence

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This one's quite good as well. Forget the end sequence, which is a mass brawl with a few techniques thrown in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtGrGfRihV8

As well as this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35e-d2H3ja4
  • Options
    1983 wrote: »
    You'll learn everything you need to from Jean Claude Van Damme films...and/or from Mr Miyagi in Karate Kid.

hehehe
  • Options
    Muay Thai kick boxing is amazing as is Boxing.

For self-defence however, something like Kung-Fu or the many styles of Karate should suit.

Ideally, look for classes that brand themselves as "self-defence classes".
  • Options
    I have been training Wing Tsun Kung Fu for 5 years and love it... it depends what you are looking for but WT is very much based on street fighting and self defence. You couldn't put it in a ring to compete as it relies on eye strikes/elbows etc.

Also as a woman it is perfectly designed for me as it uses intelligence and sensitivity rather than brute strength - excellent when you are training with a guy 6ft plus and built like a brickshit house :)

I couldn't recommend it more as an effective form of self defence!
  • Options
    I currently am taking Okinawan Shyri-Ru Karate, Taekwondo, as well as Judo.

Honestly, I watched many of the videos that people have posted, and while they are very flashy, I have yet to be impressed compared to my current training.

Anomie: "It's not particularily stylistic like Karate, but Karate isn't gonna help evade an alley attack."

I have alot of trouble believing this, though this may be true for other forms of karate, but in the Okinawan Shyri-Ru form, we learn plenty of single as well as group self-defenses, knockout punches, as well as grappled attacks.

I believe your best bet honestly for self-defense would be to choose from, or mix boxing, Muay-Thai, or Shyri-Ru Karate.

That's just me though.
    :shocking:
  • Options
    yeah. thanks for all the advice guys and the video links.
    i'm seriously considering boxing/kickboxing.
    i've found a few clubs close. just need to get a bit of free time to start. :)
    cheers!