Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Smoke Free by 2007 July

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Yes apart from the fact that suicide is still illegal.
    Seriously? It is? :eek2:
    What do they do if someone does it, then? Let them rot in prison?
    Or do they threaten to shoot them if they kill themselves?

Sorry, but it just seems unbelievable!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes apart from the fact that suicide is still illegal.

Except it isn't, but it will invalidate life insurance. It used to be illegal but not any more - assisting suicide on the other hand...
  • Options
    To be honest, first they came for the foxhunters and there weren't many tears shed on these boards then.

Still aren't :p
  • Options
    I personally cant wait, and living in Wales it's coming in in April :yippe: I cant wait to be able to go for a night out without smelling of smoke. It's a horrible smell for a non-smoker, gives me a headache etc. After years of having to put up with other peoples habit, i cant wait to breathe a bit of cleaner air in the pub! I'm all for human rights/equality and agree that there should be areas for those that choose to smoke, howver it does not work in practice. Smoke cannot see the dividing line in the pub that means it is entering a non-smoking area, whereas by making the whole pub non-smoking you are taking away the smokers right to do this inside *shrugs* I dont know what the best solution is. However personally I dont like inhaling other peoples addictions, so i am very glad, though a little concerned that it means i am going to be inflicted by a lot more people in the street blowing smoke in my direction. What you choose to do is your decision and it shouldn't be inflicted on others...and as for those that smoke around their kids, just dont get me started :mad:
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    For fucks sake I'm getting pissed off, disregarding my standpoint on this issue, what I'm about to mention might seem like pure semantics, but I have an awfully good point to make.

You only have the right to do something if it is enshrined in law, otherwise it is a freedom, unless specifically outlawed. Hence shutting your penis in a door, smoking, fox hunting and even watching strictly come dancing on the bbc, are all freedoms.

You do not have a right to smoke, you do not have a right to foxhunt, you do not even have the right to walk down the street, you have the right to walk down the street without suffering racial or any form of discrimination, but all these things that people bleat on about havings rights are wrong.

You have many freedoms in this world, smoking is one of them, I have the right to not have to suffer from harmful materials at work, however smokers only have the freedom to poison me, they have no guarranteed right.

If there is a law between now, and the proposed ban which states that being able to smoke is a guarranteed right, then please just refer to protecting your freedoms,

Take a bow MrG :thumb:

I`m not sure what "awfully good point" you wanted to make but if it has anything to do with the above matter of fact part of the post then I`d wholeheartedly agree with you.

Very explanative.

As for the remainder below, no comment,aside from pointing out it contains an apparent contradiction.
    MrG wrote:
    as protecting rights is of a much higher importance than those of freedoms, especially a right not to be tortured, to have an education and any other enshrined human rights in the human rights act
  • Options
    This site, http://www.freedom2choose.co.uk should appeal to at least some in this debate.

If you feel like signing a petition then there is a good one here,
    http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/smokers-united/
  • Options
    Doesn't bother me really... In fact I look forward to it.

Smokers talk about their right to smoke, many non smokers talk about their right not to breath in smoke.

So one group is talking about their right to damage their bodies for the sake of pleasure, the other is talking about the right not to breath in smoke that will damage their bodies, to take pleasure in a clean atmosphere and not to stink of smoke.

As Mr G said, it's about freedoms, not rights. Too many people think they have rights to things (e.g. right to smoke, right to cheap flights, right to dress how they want), but there's a difference between what is essential to our culture and the way we live and what is expendible.
  • Options
    As much as I'm against the ban, then I do hope that by the time it'll be implemented on the pubs and clubs, that I'll be smoke-free.
    For now I've kicked my 20 a day habit, to aquiring a status as a social smoker, meaning only on nights out (that said, as a student, nights out occur quite often - and also in between lectures. Oops). The ban will probably mean that I'll only have a smoke here and there when stressing about essays.
    So yeah, it might help me to kick a habit. But I am already in the mindset of quitting. Anyone who isn't, wont be benefitted of the ban.
    All in all, I am against the ban, and view it as wrong on so many levels.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    So yeah, it might help me to kick a habit. But I am already in the mindset of quitting. Anyone who isn't, wont be benefitted of the ban.

The ban isn't for smokers, its for the 86% of the population who do not smoke and shouldn't have to breathe in someone else's cancer chemicals.
  • Options
    FOR THE LAST FUCKING TIME - THERE IS NO CONCLUSIVE SCIENTIFIC PROOF THAT SECOND-HAND SMOKE KILLS. EVERYONE HAS BOUGHT THE GOVERNMENT'S ANTI-SMOKING/SMOKER PROPAGANDA HOOK LINE AND SINKER.

If people are going to use that as an argument, please please find me a medical source.

Even the guy who discovered the link between smoking and lung cancer laughed at the idea that second-hand smoke was remotely dangerous.
  • Options
    Smoke is poison!

Bibliography.

That do for starters?
  • Options
    FOR THE LAST FUCKING TIME - THERE IS NO CONCLUSIVE SCIENTIFIC PROOF THAT SECOND-HAND SMOKE KILLS. EVERYONE HAS BOUGHT THE GOVERNMENT'S ANTI-SMOKING/SMOKER PROPAGANDA HOOK LINE AND SINKER.

If people are going to use that as an argument, please please find me a medical source.

Even the guy who discovered the link between smoking and lung cancer laughed at the idea that second-hand smoke was remotely dangerous.
    I dont like to breathe the smoke in. It makes me abit chesty. Weather its poisonous or not.
  • Options

Didn't Roy Castle die from lung cancer he got from inhaling second hand smoke?

I haven't checked this BTW it's just memory, may be wrong.

As an asthmatic I am badly affected by cigarette smoke and it makes me wheezy and need to use an inhaler. I can't wait for the ban. There's already one pub in Brum I know of that's gone non smoking and I love to meet my mates in there so we can have a drink and a chat without ending up with stinky hair and clothes.
  • Options
    Why would any of the 69 carcinogenic chemicals in cigarrette smoke stop existing just because they're not in the smokers lungs, but in the general environment?
  • Options
    Only read to page 7, got bored.

Personally, I don't smoke, and I hate everything about it. But I think the ban (at least from what I know of it) is a stupid idea.

I absolutely detest walking out of a door and having to fight my way through a crowd of smokers, because they can't smoke inside, but don't want to move away from the building. I choose not to go around town very often because of the smoke and I declined a job at a bar because of the smoke.

They recently banned smoking completely on our local hospital premises. So why did I have to walk through a cloud of smoke to get into the hospital? Who's policing it? What exactly is the point?

I rank it alongside the hunting ban. Stupid laws made up by stupid people that don't have a clue about how to make the ban effective. I partially agree with both bans, but at the same time there are elements that I disagree with.
  • Options
    [QUOTE=Kate_342436
    I absolutely detest walking out of a door and having to fight my way through a crowd of smokers, because they can't smoke inside.[/QUOTE]

They have to smoke somewhere and it's a lot safer walker through a crowd of smokers than sitting inside with them for a lock of pints.

I hate this holier-than-thou shit a lot of anti-smokers have, the whole "aw sure why don't you just quit" attitude, one poster in particular here said we endanger the lives of children by putting their wee innocent heads at risk from the flames. WTF! The ban is good though, smokers will get used to it and the craic is 90.
  • Options
    The government should stop trying to nanny people.

If i was a landlord and wanted to make my pub non snoking i should be allowed. If i loose customers, then tough shit!

If i want to make my pub a smoking venue then i should be allowed. If customers are put off by this rule and stop coming, then once again tough shit!

let the market decide where we can smoke and not the government!

:thumb:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The ban isn't for smokers, its for the 86% of the population who do not smoke and shouldn't have to breathe in someone else's cancer chemicals.
    :yes:
  • Options
    :yes:

yeh if they banned smoking entirely i'd support the smokers, but it's a ban on having to breathe other peoples smoke, and if you dont smoke you do notice it on your clothes how much you can take in at a pub

thery should legalise chewing and snorting tabacco
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Smoke is poison!

Bibliography.

That do for starters?

No not really. I take it you didn't actually read the medical paper that CRUK cited in their sweeping statements, overlooking the immense doubt in Professor Konrad Jamrozik's article which most of the badly-interpreted conclusions were lifted from. You've read the CRUK article, but not the one that's based on.

Firstly, Prof Jamrozik's pitch is full of doubt. The title of the thing is 'Estimate of deaths attributable to passive smoking among UK adults' which kinda implies no conclusive proof that any of these deaths can be 100% attributed to passive smoking.
    Across the United Kingdom as a whole, passive smoking at work is likely to be responsible for the deaths of more than two employed people per working day (617 deaths per year), including 54 deaths in the hospitality industry each year. Each year passive smoking at home might account for another 2700 deaths in persons aged 20-64 years and 8000 deaths among people aged > or = 65. CONCLUSION: Exposure at work might contribute up to one fifth of all deaths from passive smoking in the general population aged 20-64 years, and up to half of such deaths among employees of the hospitality industry. Adoption of smoke free policies in all workplaces and reductions in the general prevalence of active smoking would lead to substantial reductions in these avoidable deaths.

For someone who says that 'it is likely' and that passive smoking 'might' account for those deaths, he seems very sure that the end result 'would lead to substantial reducations in these avoidable deaths' which 'might' be caused by passive smoking. Hardly concrete evidence is it?

From the actual journal article,
    Table 3 shows the effects of varying key assumptions

Now I could be wrong, but assumptions aren't exactly condusive to concrete scientific evidence are they? Especially when Table 3 refers to 'Results of sensitivity analyses for deaths attributable to passive smoking'.

Indeed, a whole paragraph of this article is given over to the Professor's 'Assumptions' which include such gems as:

- 'My calculations do not formally take into account the well documented issue of a time lag between exposure to tobacco smoke and impact on health'

- 'The calculation of the risks associated with passive occupational exposure of employees in pubs, bars, and nightclubs assumes a linear function, in keeping with known associations between active smoking and the diseases of interest, and is based on figures for median rather than mean salivary cotinine reported by Jarvis'

Again - using the median average rather than the mean doesn't exactly scream accuracy does it?

And that was just one of the articles CRUK was basing their sweeping statements on.

Thus, please, if you're going to cite something in response to something I've said, make sure it does actually back your argument up.

The full article is here: http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/330/7495/812#REF1

The pitch is here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15741188
  • Options
    Whilst the days of lighting up wherever you feel like it are sadly long gone the transformation from the present status quo that works well to complete bans everywhere is catastrophic. Alienating and isolating smokers completely is highly unfair; smokers constitute around a quarter of the population - and amongst people that actually go to pubs and bars, restaurants, clubs, betting shops and cafes a much higher number. It's unfair that places were not allowed to simply create a separate enclosed space for non-smokers. Already a lot of pubs are struggling and lots of nice locals are under threat from bland, uniform chain pubs - the smoking ban for a lot of pubs will be the final nail in the coffin. That in itself is not the main reason to oppose the ban though: which is that pubs and restaurants are private places and smoking policies should be decided by their owners.

It remains to be seen how the smoking ban will work in practice, I'm optimistic that the Conservatives who mostly opposed it will slip in a loophole with some future legislation but the organised pharmaceutical industry that has lobbied for a ban is so strong it's probably doubtful. Oh well, a few pubs that pack in patio heaters outside will notice an upsurge in trade and no doubt many more pubs will follow suit. It might not be that bad, Yerascrote seems to think it's okay in Ireland.
  • Options
    Your arguments are futile and my nights out get better.
  • Options
    I went out to a Bar on Friday and only once I got home I could smell the smoke still one me. I didn't even notice the smoke too much in the venue but my voice was getting croaky throughout the night. Once I got home the smell was so bad everything had to go right into the washing machine, not because it was stained but because it just smelt so horrid.

And then had to wash my hair twice just to get out the smoke from there as well.

Like someone just said smokers are a quarter of the population (don't know if this is true) but if this is the case then yippee for the majority of those that don't smoke .. I might hold a party on the 1st July!!
  • Options
    Like someone just said smokers are a quarter of the population (don't know if this is true) but if this is the case then yippee for the majority of those that don't smoke .. I might hold a party on the 1st July!!

86% don't smoke, so it's slightly less than a quarter.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    86% don't smoke, so it's slightly less than a quarter.

No idea what the figure is but change is long overdue..

I'm sure venues will start getting around the new laws by finally providing decent out door spaces .. loads of pubs have really nice beer gardens and we certainly have the technology to heat outdoor areas now even in the midst of a cold winter, it's certainly a lot easier to generate heat to keep people warm then it is to provide air conditioning for example.

If businesses want to attract smokers they'll find ways to adapt.
  • Options
    I went out to a Bar on Friday and only once I got home I could smell the smoke still one me. I didn't even notice the smoke too much in the venue but my voice was getting croaky throughout the night. Once I got home the smell was so bad everything had to go right into the washing machine, not because it was stained but because it just smelt so horrid.

And then had to wash my hair twice just to get out the smoke from there as well.

My sweat even starts to smell smokey. :yuck:
  • Options
    Wah wah wahcakes.

I can only assume that either non-smokers have a gross penchant for hyperbole [likely] or that they must have really sensitive noses, very porous hair and wear extremely porous clothing. I smoked heavily for years and years, don't at the moment and have not found any of these supposed greatly upsetting issues to trouble me on nights out, but whatev, it's a non-issue now anyway.

It is going to be very bizarre in a clubbing scenario, I have to say. Are they going to fit smoke alarms everywhere in clubs then? What about smoke machines? All said, it's going to be difficult stopping your friendly village wreckhead having a cheeky snout at 3am :lol:

As for parties on July 1st, I will be hosting one too in a fuck off huge smoke-filled iron lung. It's going to be off the hook :thumb:
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    My sweat even starts to smell smokey. :yuck:

I think inhaled smoke really does affect people, I've noticed when I get home even my socks and underwear smell of smoke ..

I have to clean my contact lens at least twice to get out all the smoke from them as well
  • Options
    Whilst the days of lighting up wherever you feel like it are sadly long gone the transformation from the present status quo that works well to complete bans everywhere is catastrophic. Alienating and isolating smokers completely is highly unfair; smokers constitute around a quarter of the population - and amongst people that actually go to pubs and bars, restaurants, clubs, betting shops and cafes a much higher number. It's unfair that places were not allowed to simply create a separate enclosed space for non-smokers. Already a lot of pubs are struggling and lots of nice locals are under threat from bland, uniform chain pubs - the smoking ban for a lot of pubs will be the final nail in the coffin. That in itself is not the main reason to oppose the ban though: which is that pubs and restaurants are private places and smoking policies should be decided by their owners.

It remains to be seen how the smoking ban will work in practice, I'm optimistic that the Conservatives who mostly opposed it will slip in a loophole with some future legislation but the organised pharmaceutical industry that has lobbied for a ban is so strong it's probably doubtful. Oh well, a few pubs that pack in patio heaters outside will notice an upsurge in trade and no doubt many more pubs will follow suit. It might not be that bad, Yerascrote seems to think it's okay in Ireland.

:yes: Well said Dis.

It's Labour's last gasp at fucking over some minority in this country before leaving office. Since they've successfully acheived virtually no change to the realities of the hunting scene, judging by the amount of hunts going on near me yesterday ( :yippe: ) they thought, since they know they're gonna get booted out in the next election, they'd have one final swipe at those evil smokers.

It should completely be down to the publican / licencee whether he or she wants their establishment to be smoking or nay. And if you don't like the choice that the establishment has made, the beauty of living in a nominally free country is that you can go somewhere else.

What I really hope is that Cameron, as an ex-smoker doesn't become all militant like most ex-smokers (particularly my mum). Hopefully they'll either amend the bill or repeal it completely.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Didn't Roy Castle die from lung cancer he got from inhaling second hand smoke?

I haven't checked this BTW it's just memory, may be wrong.

Nothing was proven (or even could be proven), the only thing for certain is that Roy Castle died from lung cancer. It was blamed on the time he spent in clubs but there is no evidence to support that claim. There is still no evidence that second-hand smoking causes lung cancer.

There is something called common sense though ;)