Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Smoke Free by 2007 July

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't know any non-smoking pubs around here :confused:, so I don't really have a choice as a non-smoker. It's stay in or go out and put up with it.
  • Options
    I have a non smoker pub next to me. It used to have raids fortnightly and on the verge of being shut down due to the violence. They banned smoking and there is no more trouble there, infact I heard the pub has been put forward for a reward of some kind.

All this through banning smoking on the premises. ;)

The only down side is my mates smoke so I cant go there that often now.
  • Options
    Has anyone noticed the next day your throat really stings from all the smoke? :(
  • Options
    Has anyone noticed the next day your throat really stings from all the smoke? :(
    I usually start feeling sick with all the smoke in the pub. I also come out in a couple of spots the next day.
  • Options

Why did you post that link? She smoked and got lung cancer

I find this link more interesting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_additives_in_cigarettes
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Well I am sure non smokers are over the moon about the ban, atleast they have the freedom of not breathing in the smoke.

But to "people who don't want to inhale the 'killing' smoke well they should, as they have a freedom of choice as well, have the possibility of not being present in smoky confined spaces.", I dont agree with that, why should someone not visit a public place because they dont want to breath in the smoke? Smokers are given the option of standing outside in the open fresh air for a couple of minutes to have a fag so there not causing people in a enclosed place to breath in there smoke.

Just my opinion. ^^

Yes therefore there shall be a seperation of smokers and non-smokers in restaurants. Yea, sure, I couldn't care less about this smoking ban.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    I usually start feeling sick with all the smoke in the pub. I also come out in a couple of spots the next day.

Well I've noticed how wiped out I can feel the next day if I've gone direct to bed, but not so if I had a full shower after coming back from a smokey club, but then coming home at like 3am and having to shower and then wash my hair twice to get all the crap smoke out is also a pain.

They have the technology to filter the air in clubs and clean it, but how many clubs ever bother, they probably want the air in the clubs to be dry and stale so you buy more drinks. I'd have been happy enough with a really strict air quality bill with huge fines for going over a certain limit, all the technology we need to monitor it already exists.

But then again I've had to adjust my lifestyle to suit smokers for all these years, so guess it's their turn now .. :)
  • Options
    I just don't think it is the right of the government to prohibit tobacco in places, because of the many reasons already brought up in this thread.

Tobacco hasn't been banned, just the smoking of it, No one is likely to stop you consuming tobacco in other ways, such as chewing tobacco.

I'd be interested to hear if any smokers have tried chewing tobacco products?
  • Options
    I just don't think it is the right of the government to prohibit tobacco in places

It's already banned in most workplaces because of the law, and rightly so.

I don't see why its such a big issue to stand outside for the two minutes it takes to smoke a cigarette. It's just laziness and selfishness.

The ban is OTT but the attitude of the smokers on here seems to be "deal with my shit or stay at home", whereas most non-smokers only ask that you don't smoke near them.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:

Wah! Hey, let me tell you something, while smoking is undoubtedly bad for the skin in terms of ageing etc, NO ONE I know who smokes has problem skin in terms of spots and the like. So that's probably a lot more to do with your particular skin type and age, you can't blame smokers for everything you know (although it seems some people give it the real college try)... anyway I'm sure there's a supplement you can take for that ;)
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Wah! Hey, let me tell you something, while smoking is undoubtedly bad for the skin in terms of ageing etc, NO ONE I know who smokes has problem skin in terms of spots and the like. So that's probably a lot more to do with your particular skin type and age, you can't blame smokers for everything you know (although it seems some people give it the real college try)... anyway I'm sure there's a supplement you can take for that ;)
    Theres probably one or two supps I could and do use for acne.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Do you think that people should be able to do anything that is dangerous to their health as long as they are aware of the risks?

Yes. It's called 'freedom'. It ceases to be freedom when the Government tells you and forces you not to do things that, whilst being completely legal, are hazardous to your health because they know what's best for you better than you do. That's called fascism.

If I choose to shut my knob in a door, granted, it will hurt but it is my choice as a human being. No one can deny me my right to shut my johnson in a door if I so choose.

I remember when Roy Castle died and the whole country started hohahing about passive smoking. The fact is, it still hasn't been proved that there is a link between passive smoking and lung cancer. He may have just been a very unfortunate victim of circumstance.

Cancer is caused by a mutation caused by the replication of cells. Whilst tobacco smoke has been proved to increase the CHANCE of lung cancer, it is not a rule that if you smoke - you will get lung cancer. Some people are more susceptible than others. The fact is, life causes cancer. Every week, the Daily Mail comes up with some new food or lifestyle that will cause cancer. Cancer is, whilst this is completely shit and lamentable, a fact of life. When your cells replicate so many billions of times during your life, it is almost a mathmatical certainty that something sometime will go wrong. As I said before, nothing with Roy Castle has been proved so you can't use that in an argument.

Interesting article about exhaust fumes and tobacco smoke: http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/news/newsarchive/2006/january/15143591
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    If I choose to shut my knob in a door, granted, it will hurt but it is my choice as a human being. No one can deny me my right to shut my johnson in a door if I so choose.
    So if I (or your brother/sister/anything) said that their life sucks and wanted to get on the roof of a tall building and jump off, you'd let them? Why not? Their body, their choice.
    Why did you post that link? She smoked and got lung cancer
    Right, I just thought it was relevant, in the "famous person" way.
  • Options
    Many of you young folk won't know who Roy Castle was, but he was a very well known TV Personality and starred in a Few Carry on Movies .. he died in 1994 from Lung Cancer, which he firmly believed was caused by years of working in smoky clubs

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/september/2/newsid_2493000/2493567.stm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Castle

And if the pubs and clubs back then had been non-smoking they'd have been empty. And him and his wife wouldn't have enjoyed the £2 million mansion in Gerrards Cross. It's sad but one sad case isn't a reason to ban smoking. (And lets be clear - the links between passive smoking and lung cancer have not been proven 100%. Whilst Castle who was exposed to cigarette smoke did die from lung cancer other non-smokers who weren't exposed to smoke have also died. Lung cancer of course, passive smoking or not in non-smokers is very rare indeed. Even in smokers lung cancer is nowhere near as common as some people seem to believe).
  • Options
    Whats annoyed me even more is the "Shop a smoker" hotline they're setting up. Great!
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Whats annoyed me even more is the "Shop a smoker" hotline they're setting up. Great!

That's just pathetic, tbh...
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Im going to be having alot of fun. :D

j/k
  • Options
  • Options
    Tobacco hasn't been banned, just the smoking of it, No one is likely to stop you consuming tobacco in other ways, such as chewing tobacco.

I'd be interested to hear if any smokers have tried chewing tobacco products?

Kind of what I meant anyway. I don't see the point in chewing it.

I guess this topic is quite subjective and I do admit that I am still ambivalent on the topic and kind of hover between the two opinions. I think it's a right to smoke though, and you have to draw a line. I can't disagree with the sentiment that non-smokers shouldn't have to inhale the smoke, and i just want to clarify that i don't belive non-smokers should have to inhale smoke fumes. I'm still adamant regarding smoking and the right to do so, and the question is just to weigh up both parties I guess and I should stop now, avoiding any potential hypocrisy from my side - it's a bad habit. ;)
  • Options
    To be honest, first they came for the foxhunters and there weren't many tears shed on these boards then.

I firmly opposed it. It hasn't saved a single fox (and even if it had foxes are vermin). Hardly anyone has been prosecuted and the police have better things to do than enforce the ban and distinguish between the loopholes and the illegal... The only people sad and pathetic enough to trawl the countryside are a few animal rights extremists and few people in the police are going to listen to a bunch of fruitcakes.
  • Options
    For fucks sake I'm getting pissed off, disregarding my standpoint on this issue, what I'm about to mention might seem like pure semantics, but I have an awfully good point to make.

You only have the right to do something if it is enshrined in law, otherwise it is a freedom, unless specifically outlawed. Hence shutting your penis in a door, smoking, fox hunting and even watching strictly come dancing on the bbc, are all freedoms.

You do not have a right to smoke, you do not have a right to foxhunt, you do not even have the right to walk down the street, you have the right to walk down the street without suffering racial or any form of discrimination, but all these things that people bleat on about havings rights are wrong.

You have many freedoms in this world, smoking is one of them, I have the right to not have to suffer from harmful materials at work, however smokers only have the freedom to poison me, they have no guarranteed right.

If there is a law between now, and the proposed ban which states that being able to smoke is a guarranteed right, then please just refer to protecting your freedoms, as protecting rights is of a much higher importance than those of freedoms, especially a right not to be tortured, to have an education and any other enshrined human rights in the human rights act
  • Options
    Yet not one non smoker has ever come upto me and asked me to put my fag out. Therefore it can't be that much of a problem!
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Yet not one non smoker has ever come upto me and asked me to put my fag out. Therefore it can't be that much of a problem!

They're probably too scared! Everyone knows smokers are 'ard as nails (harder, I'd say) ;):p
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    They're probably too scared! Everyone knows smokers are 'ard as nails (harder, I'd say) ;):p

If you don't mind killing yourselves then it stands to reason smokers wouldn't be against harming others .. ;)
  • Options
    briggi wrote:

Well yeah i'd probably put it out on one of their eyes, but still. If non smokers cared so much about the effect, surely at least one of them would have come upto me by now?
  • Options
    If you don't mind killing yourselves then it stands to reason smokers wouldn't be against harming others .. ;)

Smoking... kills? :eek:

News to me.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Well yeah i'd probably put it out on one of their eyes, but still. If non smokers cared so much about the effect, surely at least one of them would have come upto me by now?

Queuing to get into Shepherds Bush Empire a bit back shortly after me and a friend lit up someone behind us started bitching loudly about how they can't stand smoking and how it should be banned, etc. If they'd have politely asked us not to smoke - even though it was outside I might have put it out and I certainly wouldn't have lit up another. But, their lack of decency had the opposite effect.

Another point, not sure how many other people would note this to be the case but in many of the pubs I go to smokers seem to number about 50%, if not more. I'd guess these pubs that have voluntarily went non-smoking throughout did so because they found few of their customers smoked. I can't see anything wrong with individual landlords doing what's right for their pub and their customers. The total ban we're getting doesn't allow for that.
  • Options
    Queuing to get into Shepherds Bush Empire a bit back shortly after me and a friend lit up someone behind us started bitching loudly about how they can't stand smoking and how it should be banned, etc. If they'd have politely asked us not to smoke - even though it was outside I might have put it out and I certainly wouldn't have lit up another. But, their lack of decency had the opposite effect.

Another point, not sure how many other people would note this to be the case but in many of the pubs I go to smokers seem to number about 50%, if not more. I'd guess these pubs that have voluntarily went non-smoking throughout did so because they found few of their customers smoked. I can't see anything wrong with individual landlords doing what's right for their pub and their customers. The total ban we're getting doesn't allow for that.

I agree with all that. Joking aside, if someone came upto me and asked me to put one out i probably would. Unless i was like walking down the street or something, that'd be a bit daft.
  • Options
    So if I (or your brother/sister/anything) said that their life sucks and wanted to get on the roof of a tall building and jump off, you'd let them? Why not? Their body, their choice.

Yes apart from the fact that suicide is still illegal.

Smoking, last time I checked, is still legal.