Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

car stuff - speed camera dectector which is the best?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    walshy76 wrote:
    someone driving 25mph in a 30 mph zone so by taking over them you may reach 40mph etc sometimes that happens.
    A 30 mph speed limit is a LIMIT, not a target. Driving at 25mph in a 30mph zone is perfectly acceptable and you easily are a stupid bastard for overtaking them.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    walshy76 wrote:
    doing 40MPH in a 30MPH is speeding not dangerous driving, thats when you are doing 60MPH etc in a 30 MPH zone and are not in control of a vehicle so get your facts right. You will no more about dangerous driving than i do coming from sheffied

I don't come from Sheffield, I just live here, thank you very much. There is a difference.

Anyway, I don't really care because you are probably a 13 year old troll who has just broken up from school and has way too much time on his hands and has decided to come on and stir shit on a message board. So your opinion doesn't count as you aren't old enough to drive :thumb:
  • Options
    I speed. Pretty much every day. There are times and places to do it - I have an impeccable driving record; it is wrong to pass a sweeping generalisation over folk because they go faster than the speed limit.

I'm not defending or justifying anyone else here - just myself. Until any of you see where I travel quickly, or the conditions surrounding it, you have absolutely no place to judge.
  • Options
    walshy76 wrote:
    any low life piece of shit call me a cunt or a bastard because SOMETIMES i go a few,not double, MPH over the speed limit

That "low life piece of shit" isn't the one who puts other peoples lives at risk. The clue is in the express speed limit doofus. It's that level because of safe stopping distances etc. Now, you might think (although I doubt you have that capability), you might think that it's okay to speed but like I said, come and have a look around my Q&E Deptartment next time we have a kid in because a cuntish bastard like you cannot grasp that basic concepts of road safety.

Now, be a nice chap and go forth and multiply.
  • Options
    I don't come from Sheffield, I just live here, thank you very much. There is a difference.

Anyway, I don't really care because you are probably a 13 year old troll who has just broken up from school and has way too much time on his hands and has decided to come on and stir shit on a message board. So your opinion doesn't count as you aren't old enough to drive :thumb:

same thing and i think its you who is 13 with a name like littlemissy

:[/QUOTE]What exactly do you have against geordies, just out of curiousity:[/QUOTE]

only have something against people who have a go at me for doing something that they do. only differance is i admit to it.

:[/QUOTE]That "low life piece of shit" isn't the one who puts other peoples lives at risk. The clue is in the express speed limit doofus. It's that level because of safe stopping distances etc. Now, you might think (although I doubt you have that capability), you might think that it's okay to speed but like I said, come and have a look around my Q&E Deptartment next time we have a kid in because a cuntish bastard like you cannot grasp that basic concepts of road safety.

Now, be a nice chap and go forth and multiply.:[/QUOTE]

I don't put lives at risk when i go a few MPH over the speed limit . it is the people who do 50/60MPH and drive eratically that put other people lives at risk. I have admitted to go over the speed limit by a few MPH . I do not believe that you or any other person in this thread have stuck to the speed limit and never gone over, the differance is that i am man enough to say whereas a lot of you lot have not got the balls to admit it.So why dont you all feel to see if you have got any balls and admit to going over the speed limit and stop trying to make out your all whiter than white because nobody is as perfect as you lot try to make out. So why don't you try to be men about it instead of trying to make out your all GOODY TWO SHOES because your not.
  • Options
    walshy76 wrote:
    I don't put lives at risk when i go a few MPH over the speed limit

Yeah, you do. It's a fact. that you don't realise that just makes you even more dangerous.
    I do not believe that you or any other person in this thread have stuck to the speed limit and never gone over, the differance is that i am man enough to say whereas a lot of you lot have not got the balls to admit it.

Not so, I am happy to admit that I speed. Never in a 30 or 40 area though and always with the recognition that I am putting people at risk when I do so.
    So why don't you try to be men about it instead of trying to make out your all GOODY TWO SHOES because your not.

Such a shame that you're banned already. You would have been fun around here.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    walshy76 wrote:
    same thing and i think its you who is 13 with a name like littlemissy

Roffle.

Thanks for the good laugh :lol:

Shame you're banned :p
  • Options
    Are you saying MoK, that every single time anyone goes 1 MPH over the speed limit they are putting lives at risk, to a significantly different extent to when they were going 1MPH slower?

I'd far rather see a decent crack down on mobile phones etc than minor speeding offences. I was quite probably caught last night doin about 33-35 in a 30MPH limit last night, it's not a residential area, it's was an empty road and I was at the bottom of a dip/hill in the road, fair play I should have braked all the way down the hill but I didn't on the last bit and there was a police car tucked in the gate way at the bottom of the hill.

I will be royally pissed off if I get done for speeding there, I wasn't putting lives at risk any more than I was doing 30 MPH on the rest of that road, and was far less of a hazard than the arseholes who over took me earlier in my journey when I was doing 38 in a 40.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I speed. Pretty much every day. There are times and places to do it - I have an impeccable driving record; it is wrong to pass a sweeping generalisation over folk because they go faster than the speed limit.

I'm not defending or justifying anyone else here - just myself. Until any of you see where I travel quickly, or the conditions surrounding it, you have absolutely no place to judge.

:yes: :thumb:

Good post.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Are you saying MoK, that every single time anyone goes 1 MPH over the speed limit they are putting lives at risk, to a significantly different extent to when they were going 1MPH slower?

Yes.

If you hit a child at 25mph he is likely to survive. If you hit a child at 35mph he is likely to die. It's that simple.

There are times and places where it isn't so bad to speed- doing 85mph on an empty motorway in good conditions in a good car isn't especially dangerous, and doing 65mph on a good single-carriageway trunk road isn't especially dangerous either. I've done both, and should I get caught I'll pay my fine with good grace. But every 1mph you go faster increases your chance of killing, its perfectly logical to point that out. In urban areas that 1mph could very well be the difference between killing a child and letting him live. In rural areas that 1mph could very well be the difference between climbing out of your car after hitting a tree, and not.

Anyone who thinks its acceptable to overtake someone in a 30mph area is a dickhead who should have their license permanently revoked.
  • Options
    It's dangerous driving that's unnaceptable.
    Breaking the speed limit doesn't automatically mean your a dangerous driver, and likewise sticking to the speed limit doesn't always equate to being a safe driver. Speed is just one element of driving.

The speed limits in this country are dated and a bit of joke to be honest. There are some areas, such as motorways and dual carriageways where the speed limit is too low, and urban areas which are still to high.

It's why a don't pay much attention to speed limits unless there's camera's.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Yes.

If you hit a child at 25mph he is likely to survive. If you hit a child at 35mph he is likely to die. It's that simple.

That's 10MPH, not the 1 or maybe 3 I was referring to. I appreciate there is a big difference to a child between 25 and 35 but not between 30 and 32. If it's really for safety on those grounds then anywhere that has a lot of pedestrians should be a 20 MPH limit no question.

There are times and places where it isn't so bad to speed

Thank you for acknowledging that.
    Anyone who thinks its acceptable to overtake someone in a 30mph area is a dickhead who should have their license permanently revoked.

I'm with you on that one, over taking should be cracked down on a lot more, it's a bigger problem than speeding, and actually, banning over taking would reduce speeding.
  • Options
    There is a big difference between hitting someone at 30mph and hitting someone at 35mph. 5mph is a lot.

And yes, I think most urban streets should be 20mph. Ours is a 20mph limit, and its a shame that its never enforced, because anyone doing more than 20mph on our street isn't fit to drive IMHO.

The actual speed limits are nearly always right, the only exception is on rural motorways, where the limit should be 80mph. UK motorways are much busier than German ones, and I don't think German limits are appropriate. Unless the dual carriageway is grade-separated (and few are, even the A1 here isn't) the limit is fine at 70mph.

Speed isn't the only marker of dangerous driving- the old bloke I was stuck behind doing 25mph on a trunk road is more dangerous than someone doing 65mph- but to be honest the people who do the highest speeds tend to be the same ones who tailgate and who do risky and dangerous overtaking moves. The most dangerous drivers tend to be either the rep in the Mondeo or the delivery driver in the white van.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The actual speed limits are nearly always right, the only exception is on rural motorways, where the limit should be 80mph.

I don't agree at all. the limit should be variable with it being unlimited at certain times in certain conditions. There should be penalities for middle lane cruisers aswell.

Doing 100 when it's clear and dry really really isn't that dangerous.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I don't agree at all. the limit should be variable with it being unlimited at certain times in certain conditions. There should be penalities for middle lane cruisers aswell.

Doing 100 when it's clear and dry really really isn't that dangerous.

For you maybe, but you have to consider that the limits apply to everyone. Many people may not be competent at that speed and will drive more slowly, and, unfortunately, in a lot of cases it's not speed that's the issue of itself, but difference in speed. Stick two cars on the same stretch of road doing vastly different speeds and you've got a potential problem. Even more so if the person doing 50 is sat in the wrong lane, and the person doing 100 is inexperienced or inept.
  • Options
    On a completely clear road in good conditions I'd agree- 90mph, even 100, isn't that dangerous. How many motorways in the UK are completely clear and benefitting from good conditions? Not many.

I don't think its a coincidence that the speed limit is 70mph/120kph in all of Europe. It's the right speed- if the limit is 70mph then people will do 80, which is safe. If the limit was 80 everyone would do 90, which is pushing the boundary of safety, and on unregulated roads you'd get the tailgating reps causing crash after crash after crash. German motorways are empty, UK motorways are not.

I've driven at 120mph before in Germany, and its fine on an empty motorway in a good car, but on British roads with British drivers in British conditions I think it is completely inappropriate.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    For you maybe, but you have to consider that the limits apply to everyone. Many people may not be competent at that speed and will drive more slowly.

If people aren't competant at speed then they shouldn't be driving. You get plenty of 'drivers' who are terrified of driving over 45 and thus cause all sorts of problems. Driving tests should assess fast motorway driving before giving anyone a license to drive on one.
  • Options
    People who overtake on windy country roads are the worst. A few months back I nearly had a head-on with a twat in a mercedes who was trying to overtake round a blind bend.
  • Options
    I read that as windy as in there's a lot of wind, for a moment. Which brings me to my own pet hate, lately in loughborough it's been really quite windy, which means that you need to allow more space when overtaking a cyclist that usual, because cross-winds make a big difference, I don't like people who drive like 30secs of their time is worth more than my safety.
  • Options

In effect yes. Any increase in speed is an increase in risk. "Significant" is subjective.
  • Options
    My arguement would be that the difference between 29 and 30 is not distinctly different to that between 30 and 31, and that would be my (subjective) understanding of significant.

The driver that still does 30 on a wet road is a far bigger risk than the one doing 31 on a dry one. Likewise, the driver that does 29-31 and looks at the road is a safer one than the one that does 30 and constantly stares at the speedo.

I realise that an experienced driver should know their speed without constantly staring at the speedo, but if a road angel means a driver drives at a reasonable and constistent speed and watches the road rather than constantly oogling the speedo and slamming the brakes on for speed camera signs then it could be a good thing for some people.

Neither situation is ideal, but neither is the world.
  • Options
    Indeed, I would not dispute your pov.

However there needs to be a definition of what is acceptable, a line drawn in the sand so to speak. In residential areas, IMHO, 30 is actually too high but I can understand why it is that. On motorways, IMHO, 70 is too slow.

The other thing that got me on here is the comment about how it is "dangerous" driving which is the problem. Well, speeding is[/i] dangerous driving. Just not defined as such in law.
  • Options
    The other thing that got me on here is the comment about how it is "dangerous" driving which is the problem. Well, speeding is dangerous driving. Just not defined as such in law.

I'd conceed some speeding is dangerous driving because of the speed it is at, but not all of it, likewise, some driving below the speed limit is dangerous because of the speed it is at, but not all of it.

Evidently the % involved in each of the 'somes' are very different. IMHO there is too much focussed on the number on the speedo in relation to the daft speed restriction, and not enough on the importance of a suitable speed for the road in question.

50 through the M25 roadworks is a stupidly low restriction, yet they happily fine away to enforce that one. 30 on roads past schools is far too high, yet plenty of people do more than 30, there's never a camera or any police presence there to enforce the speed limit, let alone catching the wankers doing 40 past a school at kick out time whilst talking on a mobile.
  • Options
    50 through the M25 roadworks is a stupidly low restriction, yet they happily fine away to enforce that one.

Apart from the narrowed lanes, the workmen in the road etc...
    30 on roads past schools is far too high, yet plenty of people do more than 30, there's never a camera or any police presence there to enforce the speed limit, let alone catching the wankers doing 40 past a school at kick out time whilst talking on a mobile.

Easy pickings. That said, I know of several schools where the cameras are placed outside just to catch the wankers...
  • Options
    Apart from the narrowed lanes, the workmen in the road etc...

Except the lanes aren't narrowed and there are no workmen, I wouldn't mind if there were!
    Easy pickings. That said, I know of several schools where the cameras are placed outside just to catch the wankers...
    Good good, be nice to see some round here.
  • Options
    Except the lanes aren't narrowed and there are no workmen, I wouldn't mind if there were!

Speed limits are lower in roadworks for the safety of workers, its not rocket science. People should be driving slower in roadworks, and putting cameras up to make sure that people do is fair enough IMHO. Even if it is a pain to have to trundle down the M1 at Letchworth at 40mph.

I don't agree with all the speed limits in the country, and I don't agree with the siting of all speed cameras in the country, but for someone to try and claim that its not dangerous to drive at high speed is stupid. Speed isn't the only barometer of dangerous driving but in my experience the ones who drive too fast also tend to be the ones who tailgate and who overtake in dangerous places. Some people are competent to drive at 100mph, I don't doubt it, but the number of people who are isn't as high as the number of people who think that they are. And given the driving standards of many couriers and lorry drivers, I don't think that driving as a pro is enough to give you that competence.

Sat nav systems which warn of fixed speed camera sites tend to be OK, as they make people slow down for the dangerous stretches of road where the speed cameras are usually sited. But scanner systems which warn of police cameras, whether they block or not, are not designed for safety, they are designed for dangerous drivers to drive too fast and get away with it.
  • Options
    Well, speeding is dangerous driving. Just not defined as such in law.

No. Speeding is speeding. At the right place, at the right time, in a mechanically-sound and capable vehicle, there is no reason why high speed should be classed as dangerous.

Inappropriate use of speed is dangerous, not the speed in itself. It is only one of many factors related to the safety of driving a vehicle on the road.
  • Options
    Inappropriate use of speed is dangerous, not the speed in itself.

Such as when the speed you are doing is higher than the limit for the stretch of road you are on? Isn't that "inappropriate"?
  • Options
    Depends on the basis of the speed limit set for the road, does it not? Vehicles have moved on significantly since many limits were set - does that mean that the speed limit is still 'appropriate'?

The limits are in place because the roads will see a very wide range of vehicles, in an equally large range of conditions. They are not an absolute rating for safety, merely a guideline in this day and age. In the last 25 years, tyre materials and design have moved on immensely. Virtually all vehicles have disc brakes(at least at the front), and the vast majority have ABS. Is it a coincidence that this distance required according to the Highway Code is completely out of date, and not even useful as a 'general rule of thumb'?

Vehicles have moved on. The legal limits have not. Don't get me wrong on this - I see morons every single day who are incapable of driving correctly at or below the legal limit, let alone anything higher. They go far too fast in residential areas, and then continue to do 45mph on an open 'A' road with good visibility. They drive around without any use of mirrors or observation other than the 5 metres of road directly in front of them. Many have no idea what their tyre pressures should be, or just how much worse their tyres will perform in the wet because they aren't much over the legal limit.

However, I readily admit to speeding every day. I'll get into three-figures most days, at one point or another. Yet in nearly a decade of road use, and over a half-million miles, I've never been caught speeding, nor have I been involved in an accident. Actually, I ditched my motorbike at 15mph last July - it was 11pm at night, and totally pissing it down. I was slowing down for a mini-roundabout and the bike just went down - upon inspection the next day, the exact location where I went down coincides with a significant change in road surface, hence the front wheel locking up. But other than that(where speed above and beyond the speed limit was not an issue in the slightest), I've had nothing at all.

Luck? Or use of speed appropriate for the conditions, and engagement of brain whilst behind the wheel/handlebars?