Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

car stuff - speed camera dectector which is the best?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi all,

little advice please...........anyone got a speed camera dectector thingy in there car? whats the best one and how much will i need to spend for a really good one? we want one that warns us of all different types of speed cameras.

:banghead: bit angry at the moment got 3 points and fine :-( want to advoid it happening again. of course being more careful would be a start ...........big big mistake!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Stop speeding in unsafe places. :thumb:

I've had two units - a Snooper S1 and S5-R. Both are very good, but also gave off a lot of false alarms. I never bothered using either unless I was in an area unfamiliar to me.

I doubt I'd have paid money for either. The S1 was a prize from a club I used to attend, the S5-R came with a car I purchased. Gave the S5-R to my friend who still uses it today, though I still disconnect it when using his car.

My advice - forget trying to avoid getting caught. Consider some training from the IAM.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I had a Road Angel in one of the company vans I used to have. It was useful as I used to do well in excess of 1000 miles a week up and down the country in areas I wasn't familiar with.

Best bet is to just keep you eyes open and pay attention.
    I have 6 points from two speeding penalities, but that's in 7 years of driving and I generally hack it everywhere.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Road Angel or Snooper S3 neo
    I got a PDA with Tom Tom on it and then you can download locations of speed cameras off the web - also has bus lane cameras, which can be useful because it allows you to be warned of the bus lane cameras in advance and move out of that lane well in advance rather then last minute
    Tom Tom Sat Nav's come with it, but they're odd in my experience. The Sat Nav bit works great, but it was detecting speed cameras on roads running adjacent to us when my Dad had the warning distance anything higher than when you could see it for yourself.
    Bear in mind that they are illegal now, too. And being caught with one is more serious than the 3 penalty points.

The simple solution is to not speed- if you're speeding in a 30 or a 40 you're a class A cunt anyway.
    yeh please don't speed eternalsunshine.
    I use the speed camera database loaded into my tomtom go
    Kermit wrote:
    Bear in mind that they are illegal now, too. And being caught with one is more serious than the 3 penalty points.

GPS systems are certainly not illegal.
    Kermit wrote:
    The simple solution is to not speed- if you're speeding in a 30 or a 40 you're a class A cunt anyway.

Not necessarily. Everywhere in the New Forest is on a 40 limit, but there are areas of heathland where you can see for miles. Just up the raod from me theres an old airfield that's used as a road, there really isn't any problem in hacking it long there.

But generally as a rule 30 and 40 limits exist because there is a significant risk, especially in urban areas.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    GPS systems are certainly not illegal.

The scanners are though. And the OP was asking for a detector, not a GPS map.

I don't see the point of a GPS system tbh, you normally get enough warning where a camera is. Up here they're all bright yellow and red.
    Not necessarily. Everywhere in the New Forest is on a 40 limit, but there are areas of heathland where you can see for miles. Just up the raod from me theres an old airfield that's used as a road, there really isn't any problem in hacking it long there.

Fair enough in that case, but I know from driving in Cumbria that the unfenced roads are pretty dangerous anyway. Bloody sheep.

Most 30s and 40s are in residential areas, and anyone who speeds in those are bastards who should get more than a £60 fine. Unless its 4am or something.
    Kermit wrote:
    The scanners are though.

I don't see the point of a GPS system tbh, you normally get enough warning where a camera is. Up here they're all bright yellow and red.

Fair enough in that case, but I know from driving in Cumbria that the unfenced roads are pretty dangerous anyway. Bloody sheep.

Most 30s and 40s are in residential areas, and anyone who speeds in those are bastards who should get more than a £60 fine.

kermit - bring to your attention Animals Act 1971. i expect you have the means to research the Act, but it might be of some assistance. See Mirvahedy v Henly a recent case also. did some work on this at U.W.E. was quite interesting. covers this area.
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Tom Tom Sat Nav's come with it, but they're odd in my experience. The Sat Nav bit works great, but it was detecting speed cameras on roads running adjacent to us when my Dad had the warning distance anything higher than when you could see it for yourself.

You got to change the setting to say only warn of POI along my route.
    Roads on common land are open-fenced and drivers are not protected.
    Kermit wrote:

It's peace of mind though, especially for people who do outragous amounts of millage.
    Weekender Offender 
    Kermit wrote:
    Roads on common land are open-fenced and drivers are not protected.

:yes:

Cattle, ponies, sheep, goats, pigs etc all roam about free where Ilive. Bastard things.
    Weekender Offender 
    The cynic in me says they'd get more peace of mind if they didn't break the law;)
    Kermit wrote:
    The cynic in me says they'd get more peace of mind if they didn't break the law;)

But they wouldn't get there so quick. :p

Time IS money, and for those that do 1000's of miles a week 10 or 20 mph here and does make a considerable difference.
    Weekender Offender 
    Kermit wrote:
    The scanners are though. And the OP was asking for a detector, not a GPS map.

Most 30s and 40s are in residential areas, and anyone who speeds in those are bastards who should get more than a £60 fine. Unless its 4am or something.
    Kermit you are wrong. The systems that detect speed cameras and alert the driver that they should slow down are perfectly legal as they are just pointing out a "safety zone". You are confusing it with the systems that have blockers and allow the driver to pass a speed camera at excessive speed without being detected - these are illegal.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Kermit you are wrong. The systems that detect speed cameras and alert the driver that they should slow down are perfectly legal as they are just pointing out a "safety zone". You are confusing it with the systems that have blockers and allow the driver to pass a speed camera at excessive speed without being detected - these are illegal.

Road Safety Bill 2005
    http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_rdsafety/documents/page/dft_rdsafety_033679-03.hcsp#P44_6269
    Ban speed camera jammers and detectors

Safety Cameras form an integral part of a successful road safety strategy, strict rules govern the positioning of cameras to ensure that they are sited only where there is a demonstrable risk and danger to road users. There is overwhelming evidence from both UK and international literature that speeding results in more collisions and more severe casualties. Furthermore the evidence from the independent review of the safety camera programme by University College London and PA Consulting found that cameras significantly reduced the number of people killed or seriously injured at camera sites.

Devices which interfere with or detect the proper functioning of such cameras have only one purpose: to tell drivers when they can break speed limits and get away with it. This is unacceptable, it prevents the police from carrying out their duties, and is a danger to other law-abiding road users.

The Government will not be prohibiting those devices that rely on Global Positioning System (GPS) technology to warn drivers of published camera sites or posted speed limits, as these compliment the Government's policy to ensure that camera sites are visible and conspicuous to drivers, and so help deter excessive and inappropriate speeds on the roads. However, the provisions of the Bill mean it will be possible to prohibit a vehicle being fitted with, or a person using a vehicle carrying "speed assessment equipment detection devices" under the Construction and Use Regulations (SI 1986/1078).
    Weekender Offender 
    Randomgirl wrote:

You're confused about what I am saying.

GPS-based systems that point out where fixed cameras are legal, but these do not "detect" where the camera is. All they do is load the information into the computer and the system warns you there's a camera site there.

Systems which detect cameras- i.e. they scan the road ahead for the electrical signals from a camera in operation- are very much illegal. These are the systems which tell you when a mobile camera unit is in operation ahead. Some of these systems also jam the speed camera to prevent it functioning, but even if they do not block they are still illegal.
    you're a class A cunt anyway.[/QUOTE]

this coming from a geordie
    walshy76 wrote:
    you're a class A cunt anyway

Huh?! :confused:
    walshy76 wrote:

Wow. What an amazing first post. My life feels more complete now that you dragged up this old thread to come out with that gem.
    BumbleBee wrote:
    Huh?! :confused:

Apologies BumbleBee wasn't meant for you it was meant for Kermit. If someone is breaking the law by speeding they are out of order not cunts or bastards like Kermit says. I'm not having a geordie calling me that because i sometimes break the speed limit to avoid a situation -eg someone is to close i put my foot down and get out of the way, someone driving 25mph in a 30 mph zone so by taking over them you may reach 40mph etc sometimes that happens.
    What really was the point of bumping up the thread just to insult someone?
    Sofie wrote:
    What really was the point of bumping up the thread just to insult someone?

I am not the one insulting anybody Sofie i'm sticking up for me and other people who sometimes go over the speed limit. I might be a naughty boy for sometimes going over the speed limit but i am not a c**t or a ba**ard,like stated in a previous thread.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    walshy76 wrote:
    I am not the one insulting anybody Sofie i'm sticking up for me and other people who sometimes go over the speed limit. I might be a naughty boy for sometimes going over the speed limit but i am not a c**t or a ba**ard,like stated in a previous thread.

If you go 40 in a 30 then yes, you are a bastard and whatever. It is dangerous driving.
    walshy76 wrote:
    If someone is breaking the law by speeding they are out of order not cunts or bastards like Kermit says.

They are, and if you don't believe me, go and tell the family of that kid who was mown down on Stamfordham Road last year. I saw him in the road after he'd been hit by a SPEEDING DRIVER (I was about four cars behind him), and it made me sick. Literally, I might add.

If you speed, especially in an urban area, then you're a cunt.

Why the fuck are you overtaking someone in a 30 zone? You're not fit to drive...if I ever see you about, remind me to slash the air valve off your tyres. Either that or slash your hands off.
    walshy76 wrote:

If you are ever in my area, let me take you on a tour of A&E just after an RTA involving a speeding driver and a child. Kermit had it spot on and the fact that you registered and posted in an attempt to defend yourself just confirms it.
    If you go 40 in a 30 then yes, you are a bastard and whatever. It is dangerous driving

doing 40MPH in a 30MPH is speeding not dangerous driving, thats when you are doing 60MPH etc in a 30 MPH zone and are not in control of a vehicle so get your facts right. You will no more about dangerous driving than i do coming from sheffied

[/QUOTE]If you are ever in my area, let me take you on a tour of A&E just after an RTA involving a speeding driver and a child. Kermit had it spot on and the fact that you registered and posted in an attempt to defend yourself just confirms it.[/QUOTE]

I did not post it to defend myself i posted it because unlike you i am not going to stand there and let any low life piece of shit call me a cunt or a bastard because SOMETIMES i go a few,not double, MPH over the speed limit

.[/QUOTE]You're not fit to drive...if I ever see you about, remind me to slash the air valve off your tyres. Either that or slash your hands off..[/QUOTE]

i bet you do a lot of that were you come from. I bet it's part of everyday life up there.