Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Too Geeky? Style Tips Please!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well if that's the look you're going for then yeh black candles would be alright.

and no thank you.
  • Options
    thanks
    just kidding BTW
  • Options
    oh dear..
    my piggish remark has offended her...
    I was only kidding...
    thats the story of my life...
  • Options
    what?!
  • Options
    what about what?

just thought I pissed you off is all.
  • Options
    just have your room the way you want it tbh. Youre not gonna get any decor that ALL girls are gonna love. Tbh, just keep your room reasonably tidy and smelling ok and it should be fine. Girls arent gonna expect to be wowed by a guys taste in bedroom furniture and by the same stroke theyre probably not gonna be put off by a few knicknacks either usually.
  • Options
    Im just arguing with myself at the moment.
    the geeky sides arguing with my adult side and I don't know what to do....
    I mean if I have too many knick knacks then Im a dweed, but if I have none then well its boring.
    maybe Ill go get a lava lamp or something...
  • Options
    Lava lamp seems like a good idea.
  • Options
    Lava Lamp? What are you.... Austin Powers? Now there's a dude with geek written across his forehead.

Have your bedroom how YOU like it. It's a reflection of your personality, so choose things you like. There's no point building a bedroom into a fantasy 'set' that some girl will love - it's not you and girls will see right through it and leave you and your bedroom to wallow in sadness together.

Be yourself. It's not hard really :chin:
  • Options
    Lava Lamp? What are you.... Austin Powers? Now there's a dude with geek written across his forehead.

Have your bedroom how YOU like it. It's a reflection of your personality, so choose things you like. There's no point building a bedroom into a fantasy 'set' that some girl will love - it's not you and girls will see right through it and leave you and your bedroom to wallow in sadness together.

contradiction, much?!
  • Options
    ok, for the girls who said they like stuff like photos and candles and the like... (sorry if this offends anybody) your girls! Your supposed to like that stuff, if a bloke had all that stuff in his room, It would be a little camp wouldn't it?

I put the stuff in storage and gonna have to do some thinking.

B.T.W what anime characters do you have on your wall puss in boots?

Just Full Metal Alchemist, Trigun & Howl's Moving Castle ATM. I need more, but I'm moving soon so I gotta wait to see how much wallspace I have :chin: .And I have a huge Dalek poster on the outside of my door. Anyone coming back to my room gets fair warning I'm a geek. :thumb:

As for photos & candles - what's wrong with a guy having photos? Maybe if you have about 50 photos of your mum, it might be a bit creepy, but that would apply to girls as well. And as for candles, a lot of girls will probably either think you're trying to 'set a romantic mood' or whatever, or be smart enough to realise they're just an interesting ornament. My (male) housemate owns 2 candles - one is designed to look like a glass full of Guinness, & the other it a tall black candle jammed into an empty JD bottle. The only comments they've gotten is "Cool!".
  • Options
    all great posters...but you left out the daddy... Akira!
    not to mention Urotsukidoji but thats not everyones cup of tea...

I see what you mean, as I said, im still looking at black candles and possible anime and band posters myself. for photos do you mean those massive fuck off colage thingys? cause they take ages to put together.
  • Options

:yes: :yes: :yes:
  • Options
    contradiction, much?!

I'll say...

Just an observation but I've noticed that the posters who said that my stuff/interests are ok are like 25 - 30...

Whats the deal with that?
  • Options
    I'll say...

Just an observation but I've noticed that the posters who said that my stuff/interests are ok are like 25 - 30...

Whats the deal with that?

I am 27 and i dont like them :p
  • Options
    ha ha
    fair do's..
    put them away anyways.
  • Options
    I do agree with the others about being yourself but on the other hand i am being honest saying, i wouldn't like to see a scull etc in someones room, it would freak me out. But not everyone has this view. Depends on the girl i guess. So it's your call.
  • Options
    its not real ya know, plus its only an alien.
  • Options
    What, like Babyshambler, Ilora, Lucifer, Sophie?
  • Options
    more like susiecreamcheese and puss-in-boots...

Mind If I run these past you guys? just for opinions?
  • Options
    more like susiecreamcheese and puss-in-boots...

Mind If I run these past you guys? just for opinions?
    All the sort of things that look good in moderation in my opinion. I don't like those rooms that are full of that sort of crap, but one or two pieces tend to look good. Personally, though, I refuse to spend my money on stuff that doesn't do anything.
  • Options
    fair enough...
    thing is I want my room to look lived in but not spend all my time in if you get what I mean.
  • Options
    fair enough...
    thing is I want my room to look lived in but not spend all my time in if you get what I mean.
    Oh that's easy. Just avoid the food wrappers/crockery etc, and the dirty laundry and you should be fine on that one. I think it's good if you have a few points of interest where someone might go "ooh, that's cool/wierd/interesting" but it can be overwhelming to go into a room with too much of that in there. But that's just my opinion.

The thing in my room that everyone seems to love is a picture of Spongebob that I have on my door, which was originally one of those cardboard bases from a birthday cake. Every girl I knew tried to get me to give them that before I left uni. Fat chance.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I never eat in my room so no worries about the crockery or wrappers and stuff. but ive got a bin so its cool. I had a wash basket but it ripped. so I may need to fork out a quid for a new one.
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    The things that will make your room look lived in and interesting are the books you read, CDs you've got etc; that's the stuff I always want to look at when I'm in someone's room for the first time, because it tells you far more about them than any mass produced piece of art or little ornament thing can.

do DVD's count for this?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    **Quickly hides copy of 'I Spit On Your Grave'**
  • Options
    sorry, but why would you even want that crap in your room anyway? it looks hideous!
    With all the skulls and shit lying around your room resembles some kind of graveyard - not a good style mate.

If you want it to be unique and stylish how about plastering your walls with flyers from events? one of my mates did this with rave flyers when he was younger and it looked pretty good, im sure you could do the same with flyers from whatever sort of music youre into. plus when you get bored of your room that way you can just rip them down and its like a whole new makeover
  • Options
    \