Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

doom and gloom.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
400 million people to starve and die ...cos of global warming!
apparently we are three degrees away from hell.
and they now reckon we could get there a lot quicker than previously thought.

Comments

• Options
    Seen this earlier, plus 1-3bn have a shortage of water!

Earth wasn't designed to take all this!
  • Options
    And then people in the west still maintain we need more babies. :chin:
  • Options
    get g.b on the phone!.......tell that cunt!
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote:
    And then people in the west still maintain we need more babies. :chin:

No they don't, quite the opposite in fact.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

Out of financial and social reasons (mainly the structure of the welfare state) then we do, if we want to be able to retire and be taken care of as it is functioning now.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

People = governments. May have worded it quite badly but the truth is that most of the western governments are worried about falling birthrates and want people to reproduce more.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure I've heard otherwise.

Plus why are we encouraged to use contraceptives all the time, in the 60's when they first came out there was no such thing as STD's yet they were still encouraged, plus in a relationship there's no need to use them unless there's other factors stopping you. The government want lower numbers of people born but just enough for the economy to sustain itself, too much is bad, too small is bad also. That's why they bring in people from abroad to fill the numbers up.
  • Options
    cus aint enuff people bein born innit
  • Options

i swear you do like a bit of the old Soylent Green film.
  • Options
    It's been changing for about four and a half billion years.

I wouldn't expect it to stop now.
  • Options

we have embraced technology to improve our lives for many years,why should we stop now?

we only sit here from this vantage point because of that.

"oh fuck! we are killing the planet!"...........someone,somewhere allways knew that we would.

the human condition cannot be changed, or the lifetime of the planet imo
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    i swear you do like a bit of the old Soylent Green film.

holding20box20of20soylent20gre.gif
  • Options

yer a bit out of touch lad ...
  • Options
    Don`t worry everyone. Another "expert" has the answer (you know you can rely on "experts",dontcha ?). Ladies and gentleman, please welcome Dr.Eric Pianka (a PROFESSOR :love: of biology at the University of Texas).

It might be prudent to e-mail him (pianka@mail.utexas.edu) to check if YOU are on his hit-list.
  • Options
    I saw an interview with the scientist Reagen hired a few years back to say there is no such thing as global warming. Instead the scientist came to the conclution that if all internet combustion engines, all factories, and all pollutants were to be stopped right this instant; the world would continue to heat up over the next 100 years untill the poles melt.

So yeah, unless there are plans for somehow reversing the process, we're all pretty well fucked.
  • Options

Well that's rather good no?

at least we will be finish with this fucked world much faster...

It's our fault anyway, we aimed for quality instead of aiming for quantity of time...
  • Options
    3 degrees from hell?
    I would seriously doubt the scientists credentials if he said "3 degrees from hell" in that context.
    Plus, this planet like everything else needs to regenerate, and that's what's happening.
    Us humans, we are pretty smart, I am sure we'll adapt.

And until then, cheers, beer's on me!
  • Options
    my mum did an environmental degree and her lecturer used to say scientists keep the myth of global warming so they keep on getting the funds!!!
    Personally I don't know what to think about it as there are so many conflicting stories....I do my best to look after the planet however.
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    3 degrees from hell?
    I would seriously doubt the scientists credentials if he said "3 degrees from hell" in that context.
    Plus, this planet like everything else needs to regenerate, and that's what's happening.
    Us humans, we are pretty smart, I am sure we'll adapt.

And until then, cheers, beer's on me!
    it was kme who said 3degrees from hell.
    the effects are happening and happening fast.
    millions of acres of farmland are drying up ...farming families around the world are being forced off the land as grass and other crops get harder to grow.
    rivers are drying up that water millionds of people.

adapt? it's changing to fast mate ...fresh water is going into decline and world food production is expected tp plummet anytime soon.
  • Options
    Oh right, ok, my bad...

No one is denying that the effects are happening and fast. What people are contesting is the Global warming theory...
    All this drying up, just look at european weather this past week...
    Look at the Situation in Serbia for instance.

We will adapt.
    We will learn how to harness rain water efficiently.
    We will learn to desalinify sea water.
    Why?

Coz we got no choice!
  • Options
    The end of the world is nigh and has been pretty much forecast ever since this time around 2000 years ago, when Jesus popped out of his tomb... Of course if you say it often enough perhaps one day it will be right.

http://www.overpopulation.com/faq/people/paul_ehrlich.html
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    Oh right, ok, my bad...

We will adapt.
    We will learn how to harness rain water efficiently.
    We will learn to desalinify sea water.
    Why?

Coz we got no choice!
    who though is we?
    israel already have the worlds biggest desalination supplies operating in the world.
    we ...are the wealthy west.
    the other two thirds of the worlds population aint going to be so fortunate are they.
    and we ...in the west will find that our supermaarkets full of global produce will not be able to be sustained at the levels we currently enjoy.
    the world is going to be a much ...much poorer and miserable place for billions.
  • Options
    who though is we?
    israel already have the worlds biggest desalination supplies operating in the world.
    we ...are the wealthy west.
    the other two thirds of the worlds population aint going to be so fortunate are they.
    and we ...in the west will find that our supermaarkets full of global produce will not be able to be sustained at the levels we currently enjoy.
    the world is going to be a much ...much poorer and miserable place for billions.

Long time ago Martin Luter King said the following:

"Our only hope today lies in our ability to recapture the revolutionary spirit and go into a sometimes hostile world declaring eternal hostility to poverty, racism and militarism!"

I do not consider myself to be a part of the wealthy west.
    I am a part of the world.

See, China and Japan have had measures for controlling population for a long time now, and with the way that China is developing at the moment, I don't think they will be starving.
    Fresh water....There are vast spaces of this earth unexploited, Sibir, Antarctica, Middle Asia etc... They are all rich with space and materials.

Every thing has it's boiling point. Once the current western governments realize that, then we can get on with it.

The problem we've got is the Neo Conservatists in the States and the stupid obsessions of the UK government. Also, having an ex-KGB director as a ruler of a country doesn't help.
    People are most dangerous when they are chased down to a dead end corner.
    I am sure we will be all right!!
  • Options
    I think we should all regress back into our hunter gatherer ways!
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I think we should all regress back into our hunter gatherer ways!
    not much to hunt or gather in the uk mate ...and they made hunting illegal ...fishing will be next cos it hurts the wee fish.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    my mum did an environmental degree and her lecturer used to say scientists keep the myth of global warming so they keep on getting the funds!!!
    Personally I don't know what to think about it as there are so many conflicting stories....I do my best to look after the planet however.

The theory is that global warming keeps being hyped up so governments submit increased power to international organisations...speeding up the move towards a one world government.
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    Long time ago Martin Luter King said the following:

"Our only hope today lies in our ability to recapture the revolutionary spirit and go into a sometimes hostile world declaring eternal hostility to poverty, racism and militarism!"

I do not consider myself to be a part of the wealthy west.
    I am a part of the world.

See, China and Japan have had measures for controlling population for a long time now, and with the way that China is developing at the moment, I don't think they will be starving.
    Fresh water....There are vast spaces of this earth unexploited, Sibir, Antarctica, Middle Asia etc... They are all rich with space and materials.

Every thing has it's boiling point. Once the current western governments realize that, then we can get on with it.

The problem we've got is the Neo Conservatists in the States and the stupid obsessions of the UK government. Also, having an ex-KGB director as a ruler of a country doesn't help.
    People are most dangerous when they are chased down to a dead end corner.
    I am sure we will be all right!!
    not sure why governments are always brung into these discussions.
    has there ever been a nice sensible government? no.

all thats bad in this world ...all thats failing ...is to easily thrown on the governments shoulders ...why?
    i know ...and you know ...we have no faith in them ...so how come we are always looking to ...a next benign government to help us out.
    we are the problem ...you and me.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    The theory is that global warming keeps being hyped up so governments submit increased power to international organisations...speeding up the move towards a one world government.
    but thats a way of closing our eyes and turning our minds off of the problem.
    we can measure the sea rise that has happened since 1970.
    we can measure the 36,000 million cubic metres of ice that broke off recently ...we can measure the fact that all chinas MAIN RIVERS ARE DRYING UP ...RIVERS THAT PROVIDE WATER FOR MILLIONS ...WE CAN SEE THE FAMILIES AROUND THE WORLD BEING DISPLACED FROM THE LAND COS THE LAND WON'T PRODUCE ANYMORE ...IT'S HAPPENING NOW ...NOT TOMMOROW.
    OOOOPS CAPS bleedin lock.,
  • Options
    If a common effort was done by the population and the industries we might have a chance... But let's be objective it will never happend, no one is ready to give up their own confort and industries are just not going to give up on money... Most big industries know they are fucking this world up, but all the directors for most of them know they won't be around whe the world will die, so the don't care, everyone care about the present, their own present and don't think ahead anymore... Our only chance imo is to find an other planet to go and fucked up... But if it ever happend, after all they are trying hard to find one, only the elite or rich people will be moved there and the poor or middle class will be left here to die...
  • Options
    If a common effort was done by the population and the industries we might have a chance... But let's be objective it will never happend, no one is ready to give up their own confort and industries are just not going to give up on money... Most big industries know they are fucking this world up, but all the directors for most of them know they won't be around whe the world will die, so the don't care, everyone care about the present, their own present and don't think ahead anymore... Our only chance imo is to find an other planet to go and fucked up... But if it ever happend, after all they are trying hard to find one, only the elite or rich people will be moved there and the poor or middle class will be left here to die...
    sorry mate but all this find another planet i find to be the ultimate in false hope.
    all the other planets are either dead or out of reach.