Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

lazy frogs..

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kentish wrote:
    I've never said or implied that, but why reality get in the way of a good spleen venting, eh?

Errr...yeah you have.
    Kentish wrote:
    All three examples you gave, funnily enough.

Errr...what? :confused:

*genuinely confused*
  • Options
    Everyone should have the same choices. Everyone should have opportunities to get the job they want. You imply that everyone who hasn't retrained or who works two jobs or who earns less than they would like has been denied their choices. Is that true?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Everyone should have the same choices. Everyone should have opportunities to get the job they want. You imply that everyone who hasn't retrained or who works two jobs or who earns less than they would like has been denied their choices. Is that true?

I'm saying that not everyone has the same choices due to economic or life cirumstances. (i'm sure I already wrote that)
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'm saying that not everyone has the same choices due to economic or life cirumstances. (i'm sure I already wrote that)
    That's hardly an earth shattering discovery. If that's your main point, after all that ranting, I think you must be the naive one.

Life isn't fair, some people have more money and better jobs than others! Stop press!
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    That's hardly an earth shattering discovery. If that's your main point, after all that ranting, I think you must be the naive one.

Life isn't fair, some people have more money and better jobs than others! Stop press!

Eh? You're the one who asked "why would anyone choose to stay in a job they hated?", like you couldn't get your head round that not everyone has a choice.

I've gone on to show how naive and ignorant you are. Accept it, get over it and move on.
  • Options
    Sorry, I forgot that 2 + 2 = 5.

You've clearly read into that exactly what you wanted to, and then run with it to suit your agenda. You don't stay in a job you don't like if you can get another one. If getting another one requires extra training or a degree or childcare arrangements then that's another matter entirely.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Sorry, I forgot that 2 + 2 = 5.

You've clearly read into that exactly what you wanted to, and then run with it to suit your agenda. You don't stay in a job you don't like if you can get another one. If getting another one requires extra training or a degree or childcare arrangements then that's anotehr matter entirely.

What are you on about? You said "why would anyone choose to stay in a job they hated?" I've shown you that actually, its not as simple as you make out, you then can't admit it when I've shown you to be wrong. GET OVER IT.

P.S. "You don't stay in a job you don't like if you can get another one." - well quite. Not everyone can.

P.P.S.
    "If getting another one requires extra training or a degree or childcare arrangements then that's anotehr matter entirely." - errrr...no its not another matter entirely. Its the reality of people's lives (although who mentioned getting a degree :confused: ). People have children, people need training that isn't available or they can't afford. Maybe when you get your head out of that little bubble it lives in and grow up a bit, you'll realise this (I won't hold my breath)
  • Options
    Pathetic.
  • Options
    Eh? I answer your question "why would anyone choose to stay in a job they hated?" by showing that the realities of people's lives is a lot more complex than you think and can be very limited by economic and social circumstances and all you can say is "pathetic"?

Good one. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    You quote me out of context and then wonder why I find being called naive insulting. That's why you're pathetic.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Just funny.

Heres what I would do with the three cases -

First one -

Nothing. She's fed, her family is fed, she has a job. No problem here except for the absurd ideas of entitlement.

Second one. Move somewhere else, get a job.

Third one - nothing. Man has a job, income and can save up. He has some skills, he can get more. It'll take time, but he made bad choices to get where he is so he has to face the consequences of that.

Theres not a thing wrong in any of those scenarios that saving up some cash and a bit of discipline and a sense of reality won't fix. What you are aducking is that those people are choosing to stay in those situations for the most part.
    Is he right then, Blag?

If not, what's your solution?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    You quote me out of context and then wonder why I find being called naive insulting. That's why you're pathetic.

I haven't quoted you out of context at all.

*genuinely confused* :confused:
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Is he right then, Blag?

If not, what's your solution?

No, he's full of shit. I actually have him on ignore so I don't have to read his insane ramblings. Klintock's a man who believes that women are to blame for being sexually assualted don't forget.
  • Options
    No, he's full of shit. I actually have him on ignore so I don't have to read his insane ramblings. Klintock's a man who believes that women are to blame for being sexually assualted don't forget.

Hmm, aside from being totally irrelevent to the topic and therefore not in any way shape or form a refutation of my points, it's also completely and utterly wrong.

Quote me please, or retract the fucker.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I haven't quoted you out of context at all.

*genuinely confused* :confused:
    The original context was a worker having freedom to take another job that offered a better wage or better conditions - childcare commitments, health problems or high flying ambitions notwithstanding. Given that freedom to seek alternative employment, why would someone stay in a job they hate?
  • Options
    I am not rich and nor is my family. I just believe that strikes in the long run don't help anybody, rich or poor – look at British Leyland, in the long run who benefited from years of constant strikes?
    I'll ask you what Blagsta has asked to various people dozens of times over time (a question for which he's still waiting for an answer I believe): Do you think that even a single working right we have today came down from heaven, or was perhaps given away by employers? Or did they come to be as a result of workers' actions?

If strikes did not exist you and me and everyone else who is not a boss would still be working 48 hours a day, six days a week for shit pay and no benefits, holidays, leave or sick pay, amongst other things. Make no mistake about that.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    The original context was a worker having freedom to take another job that offered a better wage or better conditions - childcare commitments, health problems or high flying ambitions notwithstanding. Given that freedom to seek alternative employment, why would someone stay in a job they hate?

:banghead:

The point is that a lot of people's lives aren't that simple. Not everyone has "freedom to seek alternative employment", only a moron would think they do. I don't see what the point of hypotheticals is that don't take into account people's everyday reality.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I refer you to my intitial question on this thread

For all those people who are anti-union and anti-strike - how do you think improvements in workers rights, wages and conditions come about? A gift from the pixies? A gift from benevolent bosses? or something else?

Yep partially unions, partially companies recognising that well paid and motivated workers are better, partly because supply and demand meant that companies had to increase and improve conditions to get and keep their workers.

As a counter question - how do you think these companies to employ them came about in the first place?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    :banghead:

The point is that a lot of people's lives aren't that simple. Not everyone has "freedom to seek alternative employment", only a moron would think they do. I don't see what the point of hypotheticals is that don't take into account people's everyday reality.
    Don't be ridiculous. Most people are most certainly free to get new jobs. Let's not forget that your ex-clients are not exactly representative of the average working person in this country.

Blagsta, if privilege and naivity is so bad, would it not be worse if somebody did not take the opportunities that are available to them?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Don't be ridiculous. Most people are most certainly free to get new jobs. Let's not forget that your ex-clients are not exactly representative of the average working person in this country.

Blagsta, if privilege and naivity is so bad, would it not be worse if somebody did not take the opportunities that are available to them?

Words fail me. :rolleyes:

This just shows how sheltered you are.
  • Options
    Bov.
  • Options
    What on earth does "bov" mean?
  • Options
    Do you ever smile, Blagsta? Do you ever let out a good old fashioned belly laugh? Maybe you occasionally wake up in the morning and look forward to the day ahead, maybe even come across someone who restores your faith in humanity? I'd hate to think that that chip on your shoulder got you down.
  • Options
    Eh? I asked what "bov" means and you go on an ad hominem. What's that all about? :confused::confused:
  • Options
    I'm trying to understand your needless aggression.

Bov is short for bothered. As in 'Am I bovered?'.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I'm trying to understand your needless aggression.

Blaggs world view takes in a very tiny percentage of the population when it comes to the uk.
    bladg ...what kind of business did you once have?
  • Options
    Blaggs world view takes in a very tiny percentage of the population when it comes to the uk.

A very good point.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'll ask you what Blagsta has asked to various people dozens of times over time (a question for which he's still waiting for an answer I believe): Do you think that even a single working right we have today came down from heaven, or was perhaps given away by employers? Or did they come to be as a result of workers' actions?

I won’t deny that historically trade unions have been of some significance in improving rights for workers. Although it’s hardly fair to wholly attribute improvements to the trade unions; unless that is your unfamiliar with one nation conservatism, the liberal reforms and some of the Quaker businesses – most famously Cadbury’s. Anyway once the trade unions achieved those landmark improvements their role became redundant to an extent. Certainly since then trade unions have done more bad than good – they wrecked the likes of British Leyland and brought Britain to its knees in the 70s. The biggest beneficiaries of trade unions these days are their general secretaries on six figure salaries with a free Jag.
    Aladdin wrote:
    If strikes did not exist you and me and everyone else who is not a boss would still be working 48 hours a day, six days a week for shit pay and no benefits, holidays, leave or sick pay, amongst other things. Make no mistake about that.

Strikes had a historic purpose, for the most part they don’t anymore. Unions are redundant. The market is reflecting that as the minority of people in unions gets smaller each year...
  • Options
    I'd say unions are as necessary as ever, if not more so.

Look at working rights and conditions in countries where there are no unions or they have no power or influence.
  • Options
    Originally Posted by Aladdin

o

take a look at the villages some of the cotton mill owners built for their workers ...with scenic parks and playgrounds.
    take a look at joeseph rowntree.