Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

lazy frogs..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
airline slams french air traffic controllers......

http://www.jet2.com/News.aspx?id=65

where is the p.c brigade?

made me giggle a bit, but do you think this is a good approach from the company?

Comments

• Options
    For french people striking is like a religion...
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    airline slams french air traffic controllers......

http://www.jet2.com/News.aspx?id=65

where is the p.c brigade?

made me giggle a bit, but do you think this is a good approach from the company?
    No. A boss who clearly doesn't think much of workers' rights and who appears to be a bigoted idiot to boot does not make his company a very attractive proposition. I must say I had never heard of this airline before but I won't be flying them in a hurry...
  • Options
    Awesome! Love it!
  • Options
    About time - seems that Unions are allowed to say whatever they like about their bosses and the Government - so about time their bosses struck back and told them that they're lazy bastards and that they're not getting any sympathy off me.
  • Options
    For all those people who are anti-union and anti-strike - how do you think improvements in workers rights, wages and conditions come about? A gift from the pixies? A gift from benevolent bosses? or something else?
  • Options
    Well, the original imprved conditions were brought in by intelligent capitalists to maximise their profits, then rather than waiting for the market to sort it all out and self interest to improve the whole situation unionists used violence to seek change.

As always with a solution based on violence, this doesn't work long term.

All unions should be disbanded as legal entities, as should corporations.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    A gift from the pixies?

So you know about them too? I thought I was the only one :heart:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    For all those people who are anti-union and anti-strike - how do you think improvements in workers rights, wages and conditions come about? A gift from the pixies? A gift from benevolent bosses? or something else?

Doesn't mean you have to support every union or every strike though.........
  • Options
    pixies-041118.jpg
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Doesn't mean you have to support every union or every strike though.........

I notice you didn't bother answering my question.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    About time - seems that Unions are allowed to say whatever they like about their bosses and the Government - so about time their bosses struck back and told them that they're lazy bastards and that they're not getting any sympathy off me.
    Perhaps when bosses acknowledge that in the immense majority of cases workers strike because their bosses are tight-fisted greedy scumbags happy to award themselves obscene bonuses and wage increases while giving token rises to their employees (or sometimes making a few hundred redundant "to cut costs"), not because workers "are lazy", company CEOs would get less stick from people and be seen as human beings.

Just a thought, like.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Perhaps when bosses acknowledge that in the immense majority of cases workers strike because their bosses are tight-fisted greedy scumbags happy to award themselves obscene bonuses and wage increases while giving token rises to their employees (or sometimes making a few hundred redundant "to cut costs"), not because workers "are lazy", company CEOs would get less stick from people and be seen as human beings.

Just a thought, like.
    i see your point,but the french do seem to have a tendency to strike whenever the bog roll runs out.

don't know all the ins and outs of this dispute but it must get annoying for companies that rely on them.
  • Options
    I think it's a bit of a perception issue to be honest. The French look like they are "always striking" because nobody in this blessed country ever is any more.

The French strike a lot more than people here, but that does not mean they're always at it. I'm sure there are countless companies that have never been affected by strike action, or very rarely at the most.

As a result, I would imagine the working rights and conditions of the average British worker don't fare too well next those of a French worker. Look at the number of hours we have to put with in this country for instance.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I think it's a bit of a perception issue to be honest. The French look like they are "always striking" because nobody in this blessed country ever is any more.

The French strike a lot more than people here, but that does not mean they're always at it. I'm sure there are countless companies that have never been affected by strike action, or very rarely at the most.

As a result, I would imagine the working rights and conditions of the average British worker don't fare too well next those of a French worker. Look at the number of hours we have to put with in this country for instance.
    the thing is though we have a bad history where strike action is concerned,we do seem to work longer hours than most other countries these days, and perhaps we should take a leaf out of their book from time to time.

problem is when unions get too much power and the country gets held to ransom every other week,then it becomes a true pain in the arse.

we just seem to take whatever shit management throws at us in this country for fear of loosing our jobs.we could do with getting a back bone i suppose.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Look at the number of hours we have to put with in this country for instance.
    I would choose to work more than my 56 hour limit. Unaccountable Brussels bureaucrats are forcing us to accept reduced working hours (and thus reduced pay) and it isn't something I'd strike for. Most managers will regularly work beyond their terms of employment because those jobs are not paid by the hour, but by the quality of work provided.

If you really think that continually falling working hours is what workers necessarily want and need then you are more deluded than I thought. It's all very well harping on about directors' bonuses but in reality even the salaries of the highest paid bosses represent a tiny proportion of their companies' profits. Do you not think that somebody who has built up a business from scratch, a plumber or shopkeeper for example, is entitled to benefit from the fruits of his labour? Does that change when the business employs additional staff?

Striking should be a last resort and for the French it seems it isn't. Jet2 is being a bit petulant in publishing that statement, but as its business depends on flying planes, it makes a fair point.
  • Options
    If I was a conspiracy theorist I'd be checking the organisers of the strike to see if any are wearing sunglasses, trench coats and speaking with American accents. As i'm not i just suspect its the French themselves condeming themselves to irrelvance.

Personally I'm all for it - French companies become less threatening to British in the global market. and for the millions of unemployed French with a spark of ambition they can come across the Channel for a job and lectures us on the superiority of French employment law whilst serving me from MacDonalds on minimum wage.

On a more serious note - the law doesn't really damage the middle class protesters (especially the organisers) who'll be able to get jobs whether this system was in place or not. it does condemn many in the French ghettoes to perpetual unemployment and makes the French economy less and less able to sustain the social benefits they are so keen on.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I would choose to work more than my 56 hour limit. Unaccountable Brussels bureaucrats are forcing us to accept reduced working hours (and thus reduced pay) and it isn't something I'd strike for.
    Rather, those 'unaccountable Brussels bureacrats' are ensuring that no employer takes the piss and demands unreasonable hours from their employees- something that many would be and have been only too happy to do.
    If you really think that continually falling working hours is what workers necessarily want and need then you are more deluded than I thought.
    No, you are right. Workers would rather get paid shit per hour and having to work 60 hours a week to bring bread to the table than working 38-40 hours at a decent wage.

And how selfish of those who think different! What a shameful explotaition of their hard-pressed employers.
    It's all very well harping on about directors' bonuses but in reality even the salaries of the highest paid bosses represent a tiny proportion of their companies' profits.
    Good. So that means there are plenty more profits to pay the floor workers decent wages, right? No excuses not to, correct?

Look at this:

"executives in the country's 100 biggest companies gave themselves pay rises six times as large (288%) as their employees (45%) in just a decade."
    from here

You don't see anything wrong with that?

Not even when the company is actually sacking workers because they claim they can't afford them?

Do you not think that somebody who has built up a business from scratch, a plumber or shopkeeper for example, is entitled to benefit from the fruits of his labour? Does that change when the business employs additional staff?
    Yes, the employer is taking someone out of unemployment. That's better than having a few people getting richer but many more being unemployed, is it not?
    Striking should be a last resort and for the French it seems it isn't. Jet2 is being a bit petulant in publishing that statement, but as its business depends on flying planes, it makes a fair point.
    The point presumably being "if it were down to us we would sack all workers who do as much as making a passing comment about their employment and the ungrateful bastards should just be grateful we give them semi-slave wages for their dead-end jobs. Off with their heads."
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I would choose to work more than my 56 hour limit.

Not if you worked in a kitchen or factory in a really tedious job you wouldn't.
  • Options
    I can't believe how someone can sound so cynical and also be so goddamn naive.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Do you not think that somebody who has built up a business from scratch, a plumber or shopkeeper for example, is entitled to benefit from the fruits of his labour?

Sorry, the fruits of who's labour?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    :thumb:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    :thumb:
    "Labour" including the entrepreneurial labour required to set up, run and develop a business.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    "Labour" including the entrepreneurial labour required to set up, run and develop a business.

...and then sit back, do fuck all while other people do the work.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Not if you worked in a kitchen or factory in a really tedious job you wouldn't.
    "Tedious" is subjective, and I'd rather make that choice for myself than have it made on my behalf.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    ...and then sit back, do fuck all while other people do the work.
    Do you know anyone who runs their own business? Is that what they do all day or are you making this all up?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Rather, those 'unaccountable Brussels bureacrats' are ensuring that no employer takes the piss and demands unreasonable hours from their employees- something that many would be and have been only too happy to do. ... Workers would rather get paid shit per hour and having to work 60 hours a week to bring bread to the table than working 38-40 hours at a decent wage.
    No, I'm saying that if I were given the choice to work 60 and get more pay then I would choose that over an enforced hours cap. Who says long hours and "shit pay" go hand in hand? You can have better pay and uncapped hours.
    And how selfish of those who think different! What a shameful explotaition of their hard-pressed employers.
    It's a matter of choice.
    Good. So that means there are plenty more profits to pay the floor workers decent wages, right? No excuses not to, correct?
    If you like.
    You don't see anything wrong with that?
    Yeah, I see a lot wrong with that. I see uncontrolled greed, and I see financial inequality. Neither of which are affected in the slightest by striking French air traffic controllers.
    The point presumably being "if it were down to us we would sack all workers who do as much as making a passing comment about their employment and the ungrateful bastards should just be grateful we give them semi-slave wages for their dead-end jobs. Off with their heads."
    :confused:
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Do you know anyone who runs their own business?

Yes, I used to run a business.
    Kentish wrote:
    Is that what they do all day or are you making this all up?

Oh don't be so daft. The point is that many business owners (shareholders) don't do fuck all. Other business owners direct resources and labour, but don't actually do much more than that. Workers are quite capable of directing their own labour. In revolutionary situations where workers have taken control of their own workplace, productivity and efficiency has often gone up. After all - who knows best how to do something? The person doing it? Or some manager at the top who's never worked on the shop floor?

Anyway, this all completely ignores the fact that at the end of the day, profits come from paying workers less than the value of their labour - and if anything threatens the constant effort to increase profits, its the workers who cop the shit, not the owners.

Your problem Kentish is that you don't actually have a clue how capitalism actually works (despite repeated threads on the subject).
  • Options
    Tosh.

Profit comes from charging customers more for a product than it cost to make.

People get paid what they are worth or they ....... swap jobs!!

If they can't swap jobs then they can't be being paid less than they are worth, can they?

Your quite right about workplaces being better run if those who work in a place are getting a share of the profits, after all everyone only works for incentive.

Shame we don't have capitalsim ofc, only state managed collectivism.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    After all - who knows best how to do something? The person doing it? Or some manager at the top who's never worked on the shop floor?
    The criticism often directed towards organisations such as the NHS is that managers promoted from the shop floor know nothing about how to manage. There is a clear difference in priorities between management and workers, I accept, but that doesn't have to be counter-productive. So who knows best how to manage something - the cog in the machinery, or the professional manager?
    Anyway, this all completely ignores the fact that at the end of the day, profits come from paying workers less than the value of their labour - and if anything threatens the constant effort to increase profits, its the workers who cop the shit, not the owners.
    All true. That's the way it is, and it's not fair to the workers. But profits are essential for development because they act as a tax on the workers pay which enable the company as a whole to grow and pay back those who risked their money by investing in shares in that company.
    Your problem Kentish is that you don't actually have a clue how capitalism actually works (despite repeated threads on the subject).
    I thought the point about capitalism was that it didn't.

And you're right - I'm no economist - but I am still allowed an opinion on who directs my labour.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    No, I'm saying that if I were given the choice to work 60 and get more pay then I would choose that over an enforced hours cap. Who says long hours and "shit pay" go hand in hand? You can have better pay and uncapped hours

I'm guessing you never worked as an office temp or in a factory or warehouse or shop.