Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

lazy frogs..

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'm guessing you never worked as an office temp or in a factory or warehouse or shop.
    I've worked as an office temp for 6 years to pay for my student fees, among other things. Point being?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    The criticism often directed towards organisations such as the NHS is that managers promoted from the shop floor know nothing about how to manage.

I think that's more about promoting people just because they've been on the shop floor. Not everyone can manage. But IME, the best ones are ones who have been on the shop floor.
    Kentish wrote:
    There is a clear difference in priorities between management and workers, I accept, but that doesn't have to be counter-productive. So who knows best how to manage something - the cog in the machinery, or the professional manager?

IME, "professional" managers couldn't manage a piss up in a brewery.
    Kentish wrote:
    All true. That's the way it is, and it's not fair to the workers. But profits are essential for development because they act as a tax on the workers pay which enable the company as a whole to grow and pay back those who risked their money by investing in shares in that company.

This is just utter bollocks. Where do you think profits come from?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I've worked as an office temp for 6 years to pay for my student fees, among other things. Point being?

But you've always known that you will go on to be a doctor. So no doubt you put up with shit wages 'cos you knew it wasn't for ever.

It might also clue you up if you read some history of the industrial revolution and the working classes. Specifically struggles over the working day, pay and conditions.
  • Options
    If you're basing your anti-management rant on just your own experience, then I think you should actually meet a decent manager and give yourself another perspective. Not everyone can manage, correct, and the best ones are the ones who are able to gain the respect of their workforce.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Where do you think profits come from?
    Selling for less than the cost of production.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    But you've always known that you will go on to be a doctor. So no doubt you put up with shit wages 'cos you knew it wasn't for ever.
    Partly yes, but why would anyone choose to stay in a job they hated?
    It might also clue you up if you read some history of the industrial revolution and the working classes. Specifically struggles over the working day, pay and conditions.
    Fascinating stuff I'm sure, but what exactly is the relevance to the French air traffic controllers' strike?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    If your basing your anti-management rant on just your own experience, then I think you should actually meet a decent manager and give yourself another perspective. Not everyone can manage, correct, and the best ones are the ones who are able to gain the respect of their workforce.

You haven't actually read my posts properly have you?

For the record - I have had some very good managers. They have all been people promoted up from "the shop floor" (so to speak).
    Kentish wrote:
    Selling for less than the cost of production.

You might want to rethink that...
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Partly yes, but why would anyone choose to stay in a job they hated?

See, this is a typical priviledged middle class attitude. Not everyone actually has a choice y'know. Christ, you must have led a sheltered life.
    Kentish wrote:
    Fascinating stuff I'm sure, but what exactly is the relevance to the French air traffic controllers' strike?

Think about it.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

For the record - I have had some very good managers. They have all been people promoted up from "the shop floor" (so to speak).

...and to add to this - they have all been people who haven't actually seen themselves as above the workers.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    See, this is a typical priviledged middle class attitude. Not everyone actually has a choice y'know. Christ, you must have led a sheltered life.
    Don't be so childish. This inverse snobbery is all very well, but the reality is that everyone does have the choice. I make no apology for being middle class - it was hardly something I had a choice about. My educational opportunities and ambition are also something I will make no apology for, but to suggest that no one can choose what job they do - in this day and age - is simply ill-informed nonsense.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Don't be so childish. This inverse snobbery is all very well, but the reality is that everyone does have the choice.

So you don't think that people's life choices are limited by experience? :eek:
    Kentish wrote:
    I make no apology for being middle class - it was hardly something I had a choice about.

I'm from a lower middle class background. But I don't assume that eveyone had the same chances as me.
    Kentish wrote:
    My educational opportunities and ambition are also something I will make no apology for, but to suggest that no one can choose wat job they do - in this day and age - is simply ill-informed nonsense.

I suggest you do my last job (education/employment worker at a south London substance misuse service) then and tell my clients, the project workers and service manager that they're ill informed. :mad:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So you don't think that people's life choices are limited by experience? :eek:
    In what way did I suggest that? Everyone has a different experience of life - to create the label "middle class" and suggest that everyone within that label has had the same opportunities is equally daft. There are some very underprivileged people in the world for whom the social services are designed and for whom the educational services must work harder, but that doesn't alter my choice. Indeed, working with the socially excluded is something I am genuinely passionate about, as is developing world medicine for the same reasons.
    I suggest you do my last job (education/employment worker at a south London substance misuse service) then and tell my clients, the project workers and service manager that they're ill informed. :mad:
    I think you've missed my point.
  • Options
    I think you've missed my point. To think that everyone has a choice is just not true.
  • Options
    I think you've missed my point. To think that everyone has a choice is just not true.

Utter utter utter shite.

Everyone always has choices. This fatalistic gubbins really doesn't suit someone who is supposed to be helping people. I mean, why fucking bother if that's what you really believe?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I disagree, but what exactly would you suggest is stopping these people exercising their choices then?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I disagree, but what exactly would you suggest is stopping these people exercising tehir choices then?

OK - take this example. A woman bringing up 2 kids on her own, living on a housing estate, working 2 jobs to provide for her kids. No real education so she cleans offices in the morning and works in a supermarket days/evenings. What choice does she have?

Or another one - a single man in his mid 40's, recovering from an alcohol addiction. Used to live in a hostel, was rehoused in private accomodation, rent is £170/week, paid for by the social. Would like to spend a couple of years re-training and doing vol work so he can get a job working with other people recovering from alcohol problems. Unfortunately he's on JSA so is forced to go on New Deal and quit his training course. How is he going to get a job that will allow him to pay his rent, bills, council tax etc? I can't afford £170/week rent.

Another one - a single man in his late 40's, again recovering from alcohol addiction. Used to be a printer, but his old job doesn't exist anymore cos technology has moved on. Found a job in reprographics place, pays £14K but the council are taking £250/month out of his wages due to him owing council tax from when his life was in disarray. He's like to retrain but can't afford it. Also suffers from depression. Where's his choices?
  • Options
    Everyone seems to be assuming that Brussels Beaurocrats putting a working time cap is a good thing because it stops people having to work dangerously (to health) long hours, but it doesnt take into account that minimum wage is pathetic and if people didnt work th elonger hours they wouldnt earn enough money to live on.

Also, looking at the whole issue if wages were raised to a level where people could work moderate hours and earn enough to live on, wouldnt that also force many companies out of business? I am not talking about huge multi-nationals, conglomerates, or big businesses either, i am talking about the average guy who owns a business in the local town market. Or the person who runs a family business that is only a Ltd company? These people under the current system couldnt afford to take on the neccessary staff to cover all opening hours for serving customers, etc and also pay the wages to the staff.

It is all well and good hating the "Big faceless evil corporations" that run everything, but people should think of the smaller businesses and average bosses who will be affected. It will just be bye bye to another chunk of British business, resulting in yet more unemployment, debts and winters of discontent.

Also, in this French traffic control strike, are they a private business? Or are they nationalised?
  • Options
    OK - take this example. A woman bringing up 2 kids on her own, living on a housing estate, working 2 jobs to provide for her kids. No real education so she cleans offices in the morning and works in a supermarket days/evenings. What choice does she have?

You really can't see the opportunities in your examples, can you?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Depends. What would she like to do? What is she unhappy about?
    Or another one - a single man in his mid 40's, recovering from an alcohol addiction. Used to live in a hostel, was rehoused in private accomodation, rent is £170/week, paid for by the social. Would like to spend a couple of years re-training and doing vol work so he can get a job working with other people recovering from alcohol problems. Unfortunately he's on JSA so is forced to go on New Deal and quit his training course. How is he going to get a job that will allow him to pay his rent, bills, council tax etc? I can't afford £170/week rent.
    That's a bit specific. Can he share a house, get another job for the weekend, move in with family? Can he do his training at night school, or do voluntary work to gain experience at the weekends?
    Another one - a single man in his late 40's, again recovering from alcohol addiction. Used to be a printer, but his old job doesn't exist anymore cos technology has moved on. Found a job in reprographics place, pays £14K but the council are taking £250/month out of his wages due to him owing council tax from when his life was in disarray. He's like to retrain but can't afford it. Also suffers from depression. Where's his choices?
    If his depression is holding him back he can speak to his GP - free of charge - and maybe be referred for counselling - free of charge. If his depression is severe he might see a consultant - free of charge and be given medication or other therapy - free of charge. Wow, how unlucky he is to have free healthcare whenever he wants it, probably on his doorstep.

Again, voluntary work, night school or distance learning are all choices for him. He can talk to the debt collectors about his repayments.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Depends. What would she like to do? What is she unhappy about?

A shit job? Shit place to live? No prospects?
    Kentish wrote:
    That's a bit specific. Can he share a house, get another job for the weekend, move in with family? Can he do his training at night school, or do voluntary work to gain experience at the weekends?

Can't share a house with strangers, has no friends or family that can share with, no point in working part time on benefits (you'll only ever be £5 better off and will be hassled to get a full time job), courses don't run in the evenings, weekend vol work is not enough
    Kentish wrote:
    If his depression is holding him back he can speak to his GP - free of charge - and maybe be referred for counselling - free of charge. If his depression is severe he might see a consultant - free of charge and be given medication or other therapy - free of charge. Wow, how unlucky he is to have free healthcare whenever he wants it, probably on his doorstep.

You're living in a dream world aren't you? Any idea how long it takes to get a referral to a counsellor from a GP? It can take 18 months+. Going privately costs - he was actually paying privately on a sliding scale but has had to give it up cos he can't afford it.
    Kentish wrote:
    Again, voluntary work, night school or distance learning are all choices for him. He can talk to the debt collectors about his repayments.

Again, get in the real world. He's seen the CAB, there's nowt he can do - he's had an attachement earnings court order. And have you any idea how much night school costs?

This is what I mean when I say you're privileged. You have no clue about what life is actually like for a lot of people.
  • Options
    Poor old blagsta, hasn't got a clue.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    A shit job? Shit place to live? No prospects?
    Most jobs are shit if you do them for long enough, and most people want a better house in a better area. What exactly would you suggest she should do or should be done for her?
    Can't share a house with strangers, has no friends or family that can share with, no point in working part time on benefits (you'll only ever be £5 better off and will be hassled to get a full time job), courses don't run in the evenings, weekend vol work is not enough
    Again, what's your solution?
    You're living in a dream world aren't you? Any idea how long it takes to get a referral to a counsellor from a GP? It can take 18 months+. Going privately costs - he was actually paying privately on a sliding scale but has had to give it up cos he can't afford it.
    He shouldn't have to wait 18 months, so he should be getting a better service off his GP. Dream world? The NHS is fucking marvelous compared to what most people around the world must put up with.
    Again, get in the real world. He's seen the CAB, there's nowt he can do - he's had an attachement earnings court order. And have you any idea how much night school costs?
    Most adult education courses are free or very cheap. If he wants to do Open University courses he can get grants or maybe a payment plan. He surely must make the sacrifice if he wants to get where he wants to go. Doesn't everyone?
    This is what I mean when I say you're privileged. You have no clue about what life is actually like for a lot of people.
    Privileged maybe, clueless I don't think. You can take cheap shots if you insist, but to suggest that people are necessarily stuck in jobs because they have no options is preposterous.
  • Options
    What stops people exercising choices is primarily economic, but confidence/self esteem/feelings of entitlement come in to it. Take my example of the single woman. She has to provide for her kids so can't take a chance and leave her job. If you're working, you have to pay for college. For instance, Lambeth College do IT Skills for the Workplace: C&G 7262/01 Certificate/Diploma , a possible course for someone wanting to educate themselves to get a better job. It costs £750 if you're working. That's out of reach for a lot of people.
    Maybe she could do the ECDL - costs £395 in all, if you're working. That's not even taking into account fitting it around childcare and work.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Most jobs are shit if you do them for long enough, and most people want a better house in a better area. What exactly would you suggest she should do or should be done for her?

See my post above
    Kentish wrote:
    Again, what's your solution?

i don't know if I have one - I'm illustrating your naivety
    Kentish wrote:
    He shouldn't have to wait 18 months, so he should be getting a better service off his GP. Dream world? The NHS is fucking marvelous compared to what most people around the world must put up with.

Sorry, but it doestake that long.
    Kentish wrote:
    Most adult education courses are free or very cheap.

Not if you're working they're not.
    Kentish wrote:
    If he wants to do Open University courses he can get grants or maybe a payment plan. He surely must make the sacrifice if he wants to get where he wants to go. Doesn't everyone?

Grants were phased out some years ago. And how is someone who left school with no real qualifications 30+ years ago going to go to the OU? Get real ffs.
    Kentish wrote:
    Privileged maybe, clueless I don't think. You can take cheap shots if you insist, but to suggest that people are necessarily stuck in jobs because they have no options is preposterous.

Fucking clueless.
  • Options
    You forget Kentish, that it was my job for the past 2 1/2 years to give people advice on this stuff, so I think I know what I'm talking about.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What stops people exercising choices is primarily economic, but confidence/self esteem/feelings of entitlement come in to it. Take my example of the single woman. She has to provide for her kids so can't take a chance and leave her job. If you're working, you have to pay for college. For instance, Lambeth College do IT Skills for the Workplace: C&G 7262/01 Certificate/Diploma , a possible course for someone wanting to educate themselves to get a better job. It costs £750 if you're working. That's out of reach for a lot of people.
    Maybe she could do the ECDL - costs £395 in all, if you're working. That's not even taking into account fitting it around childcare and work.
    To be fair, she made the choice to have children, which is really what is limiting her choices. She now wants to have her cake and eat it.

Anyway, financial help for Lambeth students is available for those on low incomes.
  • Options
    Confidence - if you started taking drugs and left school at 13 and haven't worked for 30 years, your confidence is gonna be in your boots. There are projects working with this, but they are few and far between and constantly fighting for funding.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You forget Kentish, that it was my job for the past 2 1/2 years to give people advice on this stuff, so I think I know what I'm talking about.
    But for a very specific group of people, not ordinary people on a low wage, which is what this discussion was originally about. Choices to switch jobs, not choices in how to develop a career late in life from scratch.
  • Options
    Just funny.

Heres what I would do with the three cases -

First one -

Nothing. She's fed, her family is fed, she has a job. No problem here except for the absurd ideas of entitlement.

Second one. Move somewhere else, get a job.

Third one - nothing. Man has a job, income and can save up. He has some skills, he can get more. It'll take time, but he made bad choices to get where he is so he has to face the consequences of that.

Theres not a thing wrong in any of those scenarios that saving up some cash and a bit of discipline and a sense of reality won't fix. What you are aducking is that those people are choosing to stay in those situations for the most part.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    To be fair, she made the choice to have children, which is really what is limiting her choices. She now wants to have her cake and eat it.

You're having a fucking laugh aintcha? :mad:
    Kentish wrote:
    Anyway, financial help for Lambeth students is available for those on low incomes.

:D:D

Clueless, totally clueless.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    But for a very specific group of people, not ordinary people on a low wage, which is what this discussion was originally about. Choices to switch jobs, not choices in how to develop a career late in life from scratch.

I've worked with both groups of people and its not as easy as you appear to think. You've got a lot to learn.