Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Roman Catholics taught about contraception

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A nun? :D

That’s even worse – at least with the PE teacher we had the impression he might possibly have had sex at some point or other in his life, although probably purely for the purposes of procreation.
  • Options
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    A nun? :D

That’s even worse – at least with the PE teacher we had the impression he might possibly have had sex at some point or other in his life, although probably purely for the purposes of procreation.

Nuns weren't always nuns...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I couldn't give a rat's ass about what you believe, I just don't see why your beliefs should be forced on me and my children.
    **Withdrawn due to offence**
    Aladdin wrote:
    The Catholic Church still has disproportionate power and influence in many societies... and it doesn't have a problem using that power and influence to stop everyone, not just those who adhere to its beliefs, from doing things it doesn't approve of. That is nothing short of evil.
    Again, more blatant bias and favouritism. What about the Muslim influence on some countries in the middle-east and the far-east? Why aren't you condemning that?
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    The 'sex education' wasn't really anything organised or consistent - more like a half-hour's monologue one afternoon from the PE teacher.
    We had exactly the same thing. Our PE teacher talked about putting on condoms on bananas, showed us gross pictures of STDs having a physical effect, and generally went on to talk crap. I learnt most of what I know about sex by going to the library one afternoon and reading about it quietly.
  • Options
    Really man, I don't know where your coming from with half of this stuff. The 'left' as some bizarre entity organising everything from behind the scenes, ignoring most of what posters say (for example Aladdin has often criticised Muslim fundamentalism but this is just dropped to make your point), the use of wildly inappropriate terms like hysteria (that's about 3 threads in 3 days now?)

Did Rich Kid steal your account? Because blanket stereotyping of anyone doesn't lead to a good debate - whether it's your left-wing hysteria or Aladdin's criticism of the catholic church.

And one more thing - 'approve of having the highest rate of teenage pregnancy' - provide a source for that, because although many people may have different views on what is the solution - to claim liberals or people who belong to left wing political parties want teenagers to be pregnant is, as far as I can see, a lie - and one that insults all those who have funded the kind of sexual health work done by services like theSite.orf
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Aladdin has form when it comes to shoving his views down everyone else's throats. I got exactly the same tratement in a debate about abortions a few weeks ago. This is a man who claims that anyone who advocates monogamous relationships is a "religious extremist". This is a man whom, frankly, is becoming a caricature of himself.
    Are you feeling alright?
    It's the standard case of what happens when left-wingers are wrong. They'll move mountains to try and persuade us that children should be taught absolutely nothing about sexual morality
    Find someone, anyone, who has ever said that.
    that we should approve of having the highest teenage pregnancy rates in Europe
    that 200,000 abortions a year are somehow a good thing.
    Again, more blatant bias and favouritism. What about the Muslim influence on some countries in the middle-east and the far-east? Why aren't you condemning that?
    Because we were discussing the Holy Catholic Church, perhaps? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    ... And one more thing - 'approve of having the highest rate of teenage pregnancy' - provide a source for that, because although many people may have different views on what is the solution - to claim liberals or people who belong to left wing political parties want teenagers to be pregnant is, as far as I can see, a lie - and one that insults all those who have funded the kind of sexual health work done by services like theSite.org
    I accept that my comments went over-the top and were unnecessary and an unfair attack on Aladdin. I didn't mean to imply anything like that, but clearly, it was offensive and unacceptable. I apologise unreservedly and I'll withdraw what I said.
  • Options
    Seriously man, it's not the end of the world... just breathe before you post
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    Seriously man, it's not the end of the world... just breathe before you post
    Sorry, got slightly too heated there for my own good.
  • Options
    I get quite annoyed when people say there's loads of paedophile priests. There just isn't. It's a load of bollocks, there's been 3 or 4 priests in my Parish over the years and they were good men who had the communities interests at heart.
  • Options
    Going back to the main topic.....

In my opinion everyone needs to be taught about contraception. And there are also a lot of pupil at faith schools who are there purely because they are seen to do well (normally) in league tables (which are also a load of bollocks but that for another discussion). And who’s to say that once these kids have families of their own or leave home, they will ever go to a church or confessional again.

I was brought up to have an open mind about things, but from what you might call deitist/pagan point of view. I have attended church, and thought that I was being brainwashed and that it really wasn't for me. But I have to say that I do believe life is sacred. Not all life. I don't believe that the rats and mice on the underground are sacred or mass murderers, or child abusers or rapists.

But if I found myself pregnant, alone, and unable to support a child, not just financially, but emotionally, then I would have an abortion. The same goes if I was raped, or for medical reasons.

I feel that everyone should have the choice. No one should be forced into an abortion because they are told by someone else that they will not be able to support the child. But I do not believe that an unborn child has rights. You can miscarry at any point in your pregnancy, week 1 or week 40. In my point of view a child doesn’t gain rights until they have come out of the womb.

Kids shouldn't have beliefs forced on them either. but, I don't think that there is any problem of bringing your kids up in a certain religion, as long as that is not the only religion they learn about and you encourage them to explore the world of religions- even if that is just finding a bit out about Buddhism if your a Christian or visiting a temple. I’ve been to a place of worship for a lot of religions because my mother encouraged me to do so. And maybe because we didn't have any set religious confines of our own.

I don't really know where I’m going with this, but I believe that schools should teach about the religious holidays and the views of each religion- Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, Sikhism, Islam, Judaism and to a lesser extent paganism, and Rastafarianism. When I had RE lessons, all I was ever taught about was the Christian point of view. And I really don’t think that’s right.

Sorry for the rambling. If you could be bothered to read all of this maybe it made some sense.
  • Options
    I don't really know where I’m going with this, but I believe that schools should teach about the religious holidays and the views of each religion- Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, Sikhism, Islam, Judaism and to a lesser extent paganism, and Rastafarianism. When I had RE lessons, all I was ever taught about was the Christian point of view. And I really don’t think that’s right.
    I went to a Catholic school, and we learned a bit about sikhism and judaism, but spent most of the time discussing the differences between the various parts of Christianity (most of which are so small, it's kinda pointless even bothering).
    I don't know. I don't reckon they should skim over every religion, because in geography, you don't learn about every country individually, and in history you don't learn about every historical event. However, in geography, you tend to learn about each environment on earth, and so similarly in religion, I think you should learn about all of the religious issues. Students should learn about abortion, sex, euthanasia etc, and learn about the differing opinions on each subject. That doesn't mean, Islam thinks this, Christianity thinks this, it means these are all the varying viewpoints on this issue. I don't see why we have to teach what a particular religion thinks about a subject, because all I think that does is emphasise differances between people, and causes people to make assumptions based on what religion someone is. I'd rather teach what different people think rather than what different religions think.
    How many times have you heard someone say "I'm not very religious" because they don't go to church. When in fact they probably have a strong opinion on most religious issues, and so they are religious. Interestingly, at my Catholic school, we never discussed the merits and drawbacks of organised religion. :chin:
  • Options
    At my school RE lessons were dedicated purely to non-Christian Religions and i went to a CofE school!
  • Options
    . I'd rather teach what different people think rather than what different religions think.

so do you think we should have philosophy and ethics lessons rather than religion lessons
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    At my school RE lessons were dedicated purely to non-Christian Religions and i went to a CofE school!

That's very interesting, and unusual.

Our RE lessons were unofficially split into two different sections: part of which was all directly related to the bible (parable study etc), sacraments, teaching about the various saints etc. The other part was more generic ethical debate (obviously with a strongly religious undertone) in which we were able to freely discuss abortion, contraception (I can still picture Sister Calasanctious's face talking about the withdrawal method, teehee) euthanasia and the political issues that were current at the time - although how "free" you felt to talk openly was another matter, since once again we had a nun teaching us. ;)

I don't know that you should be taught about all religions, and...
    I don't reckon they should skim over every religion, because in geography, you don't learn about every country individually, and in history you don't learn about every historical event. However, in geography, you tend to learn about each environment on earth, and so similarly in religion, I think you should learn about all of the religious issues.

...agree with this.
  • Options
    so do you think we should have philosophy and ethics lessons rather than religion lessons
    Probably. I mean you could still study a couple of examples of religions and what they believe, in the same way that you study a couple of countries in geography, but I think it should be a small part of the course.
  • Options
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    Maybe "big proportion" is overstating it a little but I reckon you'll find a higher proportion of kiddy-fiddlers among Catholic priests than in any other comparable group.

You will, will you?

Hope you're going to provide some proof for that boyo.

Because as it stands that's a terrible libel on the Church. And its a lazy point I am sick of reading time and time again.

Yes, some clergy have sexually and physically abused children. Yes, the Church covered it up somewhat- and given the bollocks said since, who can blame them for damage limitation? But so have some Barnado's staff. Social services covered over systematic abuse in Liverpool and Wales for 20 years or more. Shall we start saying that everyone who works in a children's home is a raging nonce just waiting to rape little girls and boys?

No, we shan't, because it's quite clearly ludicrous.

Proof or retraction about this statement.
    The 'sex education' wasn't really anything organised or consistent - more like a half-hour's monologue one afternoon from the PE teacher.

So it wasn't consistent and it wasn't sanctioned fire-and-brimstone. It was a diatribe by the thickest teacher in the school.

At least tell the truth.

If I want my child brought up with a Catholic education then that is my choice. It isn't "child abuse" to bring up a child with the ethos I believe in. For all the faults of the Catholic school I went to and the education I received there (mostly concerning the lack of sex education), it was still infinitely better than the secular drug den comp down the road. At least "faith" schools still have some semblance of community and ethos.

Having said that, all religions should be taught. In my school they were, going into some very deep detail about Islam in particular, and also Judaism, Sikhism and Hinduism, and how their religious beliefs should be respected.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Yes, some clergy have sexually and physically abused children. Yes, the Church covered it up somewhat- and given the bollocks said since, who can blame them for damage limitation? But so have some Barnado's staff. Social services covered over systematic abuse in Liverpool and Wales for 20 years or more. Shall we start saying that everyone who works in a children's home is a raging nonce just waiting to rape little girls and boys?
    Who can blame them for damage limitation? I think it says a lot about the church's priorities that they care more about their image, than the children that have been abused in their care. You keep mentioning Social services doing similar things, as if it make it acceptable. You can say that the 'all preists are paedophiles' argument is pretty crap in this debate, and I agree with you, but don't start making excuses for the Catholic church covering up child abuse.
  • Options
    Who can blame them for damage limitation? I think it says a lot about the church's priorities that they care more about their image, than the children that have been abused in their care.

All big organisations do the same thing. Always have done.

It's a terrible thing to do, but its not a problem specific to the Catholic Church.
    You keep mentioning Social services doing similar things, as if it make it acceptable.

It doesn't make it acceptable, but it proves that it has nothing to do with the Church or the vows of its clergy, and everything to do with the fact that some people will always take advantage of the vulnerable young people in their care in the most sickening way possible.
  • Options
    Many if not most victims of abuse don't come forward, but for what we know from those who do, anyone would have to admit that there appears to be a much higher incidence of child abuse amongst catholic priests than amongst any other group or profession. By a long shot.

There are around 400,000 catholic priests around in the world. There's almost as many social workers in this country alone- god knows how many millions worldwide. Yet compare the number of cases involving priests against cases involving anyone else, social workers included.

To admit this does not have to mean every catholic priest is a paedo at all- it simply demonstrate that the unnatural, unhealthy and unreasonable rule of celibacy plays a massive part in the disproportionably high percentage of clergy who end up committing sexual abuse.

I really can't see how anyone could say such cases are not significantly more common amongst catholic clergy than amongst other groups. They clearly are.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    All big organisations do the same thing. Always have done.

It's a terrible thing to do, but its not a problem specific to the Catholic Church.
    All big organisations aren't trying to tell everyone else what is right and wrong.
    Kermit wrote:
    It doesn't make it acceptable, but it proves that it has nothing to do with the Church or the vows of its clergy, and everything to do with the fact that some people will always take advantage of the vulnerable young people in their care in the most sickening way possible.
    I choose to judge people and organisations on thier actions, not what they profess to teach. How can you say it has nothing to do with the church? This went to the very top. That doesn't mean that all of the clergy were in on it, the vast majority of priests are good people, but the policies of an organisation are determined by those at the top. When an organisation covers up actions such as these, the only conclusion can be that it approves of such actions, or at least doesn't disprove of them enough to risk losing it's reputation.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Many if not most victims of abuse don't come forward, but for what we know from those who do, anyone would have to admit that there appears to be a much higher incidence of child abuse amongst catholic priests than amongst any other group or profession. By a long shot.

There are around 400,000 catholic priests around in the world. There's almost as many social workers in this country alone- god knows how many millions worldwide. Yet compare the number of cases involving priests against cases involving anyone else, social workers included.

To admit this does not have to mean every catholic priest is a paedo at all- it simply demonstrate that the unnatural, unhealthy and unreasonable rule of celibacy plays a massive part in the disproportionably high percentage of clergy who end up committing sexual abuse.

I really can't see how anyone could say such cases are not significantly more common amongst catholic clergy than amongst other groups. They clearly are.
    As you've made the assertion, I don't think it's unreasonable for you to back it up with some facts.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    As you've made the assertion, I don't think it's unreasonable for you to back it up with some facts.

Quite.

I'd also suggest that there aren't 400,000 people in this country who are in a position of residential pastoral care with children. Nothing like that number, maybe a few thousand, not much more than clergy really.

Some clergy are abusers of children, but so are some teachers, some police officers, and some residential childrens care home staff. Now as the other groups don't have a vow of celibacy, yet still have abusers in their midst, I think its fair to say that the vows of the church are completely irrelevant.

As for the number of clergy in this country who are sexual abusers, its fairly safe to say you can count them on your fingers. Even the huge scandals such as in Boston didn't go beyond a handful of clergy. So I'm really not sure what the point is.

It's just a cheap shot, and has nothing to do with anything.

Social services have covered up scandals far worse than even the Boston scandal, but people don't attack them for it in any sort of way. Just saying.
  • Options
    I can clearly can only back it up with the cases we know. Anyone who doesn't have selective memory and it's even slightly tuned in to current affairs will be aware that many more cases of paedophile priests come to light than from any other profession.

Doing searches is not foolproof but a quick one on the BBC reveals 88 stories related to "paedophile priest", 0 for "paedophile social worker" and a grand total of 1 for "paedophile worker".

Other than this I don't know how exactly one can prove it, seeing as no statistics of child abuse by profession appear to exist. But anyone who claims or believes instances of child abuse amongst catholic clergy do not appear to be significantly higher than those amongst any other profession must either live on another planet or not be very aware of what goes on in the world.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    As for the number of clergy in this country who are sexual abusers, its fairly safe to say you can count them on your fingers. Even the huge scandals such as in Boston didn't go beyond a handful of clergy. So I'm really not sure what the point is.
    Well of course we're not talking about thousands of offenders in each country. Paedophilia is an ahborration that luckily doesn't happen very often. But that does not mean that cases amongst clergy appear much higher proportionally to those amongst any other groups.

And the point of it is to reinstate that asking celibacy of someone is profoundly wrong and can have serious consequences.

Social services have covered up scandals far worse than even the Boston scandal, but people don't attack them for it in any sort of way. Just saying.
    You know that for a fact do you?

I wonder how many cases has the Vatican covered that we're not aware of.

Do you think they might exceed those covered by social services perchance?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I can clearly can only back it up with the cases we know. Anyone who doesn't have selective memory and it's even slightly tuned in to current affairs will be aware that many more cases of paedophile priests come to light than from any other profession.
    Ever heard the term 'publication bias'?
    Doing searches is not foolproof but a quick one on the BBC reveals 88 stories related to "paedophile priest", 0 for "paedophile social worker" and a grand total of 1 for "paedophile worker".

Other than this I don't know how exactly one can prove it, seeing as no statistics of child abuse by profession appear to exist. But anyone who claims or believes instances of child abuse amongst catholic clergy do not appear to be significantly higher than those amongst any other profession must either live on another planet or not be very aware of what goes on in the world.
    So, let's be honest here, you have absolutely no proof that Roman Catholic clergy, or any other group of professionals, is more or less likely to commit acts of child abuse? A 2 second search on the BBC News website is not an acceptable level of evidence for me, so how about retracting that crap before it gets reported?
  • Options
    It's hardly a unreasonable expectation to have, that a job revolving around close proximity to young boys will attract paedophiles.

Funnily enough, people who like plants have a tendency to become gardeners as well.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Ever heard the term 'publication bias'?
    You can believe what you want, of course.
    So, let's be honest here, you have absolutely no proof that Roman Catholic clergy, or any other group of professionals, is more or less likely to commit acts of child abuse? A 2 second search on the BBC News website is not an acceptable level of evidence for me
    It is for me and I suspect for millions of others who live on planet earth and have been watching the news and reading the newspapers during their lifetimes
    , so how about retracting that crap before it gets reported?
    Er, yes I have just posted all the evidence there is available and I can confidently repeat what I have said before that according to all the information and news available there appear to be a signifiantly higher proportion of child abusers amongst catholic priests than amongst any other professions.

If you're uncomfortable with that, report away :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    You can believe what you want, of course.

It is for me and I suspect for millions of others who live on planet earth and have been watching the news and reading the newspapers during their lifetimes
    Careful now, if you're trying to suggest that truth can be defined by the number of people who believe it, you may find yourself defending Catholicism.

And you'd be denying the power of mass media, which is immense.
    Er, yes I have just posted all the evidence there is available
    Now you're just lying at me.

Where have you searched for this evidence? The BBC website? Google?
    and I can confidently repeat what I have said before that according to all the information and news available there appear to be a signifiantly higher proportion of child abusers amongst catholic priests than amongst any other professions.

If you're uncomfortable with that, report away :rolleyes:
    I'm uncomfortable with all kinds of bigotry. Thankfully I think we can all laugh off your ridiculous statements as the rantings of an angry man, as per usual.
  • Options
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Careful now, if you're trying to suggest that truth can be defined by the number of people who believe it, you may find yourself defending Catholicism.
    No, the truth is defined by evidence, facts and events- of which there are legion when it comes to child abuse amongst catholic priests.

Now you're just lying at me.

Where have you searched for this evidence? The BBC website? Google?
    The BBC and other respected world media organisations. Something that everyone here, including you, have considered sufficient evidence on countless occasions in the past.
    I'm uncomfortable with all kinds of bigotry. Thankfully I think we can all laugh off your ridiculous statements as the rantings of an angry man, as per usual.
    If you really think that child abuse cases are no high amongst catholic clergy than amongst other professions then

a) you are in a very small minority

b) you are deluding yourself