Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Roman Catholics taught about contraception

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    Pre-marital sex is wrong. It says so in scripture.
    Thank you Kermit, you have proven my point.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    A shocking and sickening thing to happen, it should never happen, but the Church isn't any worse at it than Social Services, is it now? And nobody says that all Social Workers are nonces, do they?

The Catholic Church is far worse at it – they’ve covered it up, ignored it, and transferred ‘problem priests’ to different parishes time after time after time.

Cardinal Ratzinger (as he was known in 2001) even made it known to the church that anybody who let outsiders know the findings of the church’s internal inquiry into paedophile priests would be punished with excommunication.
  • Options
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    The Catholic Church is far worse at it – they’ve covered it up, ignored it, and transferred ‘problem priests’ to different parishes time after time after time.

So have social services, in many many many cases.

Barnardo's, for instance, were very backward about coming forward about the systematic abuse in their childrens homes.

The Catholic Church has made some terrible errors with regards to this problem, but it isn't the only one, and it isn't the worst at it.

But sadly it suits the agenda of too many people to try and make all priests sound like paedophiles and child abusers. They're not, a tiny minority are, and that's the same as in any profession that involves a lot of pastoral work with children.
    Cardinal Ratzinger (as he was known in 2001) even made it known to the church that anybody who let outsiders know the findings of the church’s internal inquiry into paedophile priests would be punished with excommunication.

Cardinal Ratzinger is a very dubious man, to be honest. A very poor choice of Pope.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Thank you Kermit, you have proven my point.

What point is that? That you don't believe in scripture?

I couldn't give a rat's ass about what you believe, I just don't see why your beliefs should be forced on me and my children.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It doesn't suit them to not commit adultery, so they shag around at will. It does suit them to not use condoms- they're uncomfortable, smell nasty, and dampen the feeling during sex- so they come up with a spurious reason not to use them.

So you think that the Catholic Church teaching that condoms are ineffective against AIDS has no connection at all to Catholics not using condoms to prevent AIDS?

I wish you were right and nobody listened to the Pope or Catholic priests or took any notice at all of their teachings, but sadly, I don't think it's true.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Cardinal Ratzinger is a very dubious man, to be honest. A very poor choice of Pope.

How could God's infallible representative on Earth be a very dubious man? ;)
  • Options
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    So you think that the Catholic Church teaching that condoms are ineffective against AIDS has no connection at all to Catholics not using condoms to prevent AIDS?

Condoms are ineffective against AIDS, though. Used properly they fail two times in a hundred, and many people don't know how to use them properly. The only way to have safe sex is in a stable mongamous relationship.

The Catholic Church teaches that adultery is wrong, but adultery is rife in the world. Why ignore the important one, the biggy in the Ten Commandments, if you allow doctrine to shape your moral life?

People will do what they want, ignore rules when they don't suit them, and then pretend the rules matter when they do suit them.
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    How could God's infallible representative on Earth be a very dubious man? ;)

Because I think the Devil influenced the Cardinals when they elected him;)
  • Options
    Nobody has yet managed to answer why, given that people ignore the Ten Commandments, the most important part of Old Testament scripture, people should suddenly start listening to a person when it comes to condoms?

The easiest way to walk a horse is the direction it's facing. 10 commandments do get followed by most people. Most peeople aren't murderers for ex. If you tell people to do what they already do and then tell them they are a good person for doing it, they will feel chuffed - chuck in a "but you should be doing this as well" at the right time and you can create guilt.
    People don't do what authority tells them to unless it suits their own agenda. It doesn't suit them to not commit adultery, so they shag around at will. It does suit them to not use condoms- they're uncomfortable, smell nasty, and dampen the feeling during sex- so they come up with a spurious reason not to use them.

Or you have weapons, prisons, the ability to financially ruin them etc. Then people will do what you say, even if it's not in their own interests. The church can't threaten anyone anymore by and large and a good thing it is too. Shame about the fanatics you work with, isn't it?

How much happier would peple be if they could freely ignore that set of fanatic believers?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    What point is that? That you don't believe in scripture?

I couldn't give a rat's ass about what you believe, I just don't see why your beliefs should be forced on me and my children.
    No beliefs should be forced on anyone. And that includes telling children sex before marriage is wrong or sinful because a certain set of superstitions says so.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Or you have weapons, prisons, the ability to financially ruin them etc. Then people will do what you say, even if it's not in their own interests.

Well, it is in their interests to do what the man with the gun says, isn't it? :rolleyes:

People won't do as you say unless it suits them to do so. Law or not, people only follow the law when its in their interests to follow it.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Condoms are ineffective against AIDS, though. Used properly they fail two times in a hundred, and many people don't know how to use them properly.
    More lies and spin from from religious extremists.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The Catholic Church teaches that adultery is wrong, but adultery is rife in the world. Why ignore the important one, the biggy in the Ten Commandments, if you allow doctrine to shape your moral life?

People will do what they want, ignore rules when they don't suit them, and then pretend the rules matter when they do suit them.

"Thou shalt not commit adultery" isn't the biggie in the Ten Commandments - it comes in the bottom half of every list of them I've seen.

Believers sin because they have moments of weakness - and if they're Catholic believers, they can go to confession and it will be all be fine after few rosaries of penance. The AIDS virus isn't so forgiving.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    More lies and spin from from religious extremists.

Hm?

Condoms have a failure rate of about 2%, do they not?

Pointing this fact out isn't "spin".
    No beliefs should be forced on anyone. And that includes telling children sex before marriage is wrong or sinful because a certain set of superstitions says so.

But the opposite is a set of beliefs being "forced" on children too. Just because you happen to agree with it doesn't mean its not just one set of beliefs.

I know klintock would love it, but the alternative is never to teach children anything.
  • Options
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    "Thou shalt not commit adultery" isn't the biggie in the Ten Commandments - it comes in the bottom half of every list of them I've seen.

The fact its there makes it a biggy, that's my point.
    Believers sin because they have moments of weakness - and if they're Catholic believers, they can go to confession and it will be all be fine after few rosaries of penance. The AIDS virus isn't so forgiving.

Of course they sin because they have moments of weakness, there's nothing wrong with sinning if you repent it afterwards and never do it again. It's human nature to be weak sometimes.

Point is, people will only follow the rules when it suits them. I honestly believe that if the Church started handing out Durex free with every consecrated host people would still not use them, and would just find another spurious reason instead.

The fact is that people don't use condoms over here, and it isn't because of what the Pope says.
  • Options
    Well, it is in their interests to do what the man with the gun says, isn't it?

Short term, or long term?

Annn does that mean it's ok for anyone to pick up a gun and make you do things?
    People won't do as you say unless it suits them to do so. If these "threats" were so effective, then "the people I work with" would be out of a job.

:lol:

Threats only work if people think they'll be followed through. You are part of the follow through that gets all those folk paying their taxes, slaving away and generally obeying. You know this mate.

There isn't a single person in the country who would voluntarily pay for most government "services". You are there to make sure that they do anyway. With your help, and the people you work with's help, those wonderful men and women in the government get to provide hospitals (and no one would want those if taxation stopped, right? :rolleyes: ) and kill thousands of innocents.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Threats only work if people think they'll be followed through.

No, laws only work if people have something to lose by getting caught.

People only follow the laws that suit them. That's the simple fact of the matter.
    There isn't a single person in the country who would voluntarily pay for most government "services".

They would if the alternative was the US model, where the poor get to see their kids die because they can't afford the insurance premiums for the medicine.
  • Options
    I know klintock would love it, but the alternative is never to teach children anything.

You can teach people things honestly, from a position of "I don't know". You can teach maths, and tell your kids it's just a useful lie. You can teach kids belief and tell them it's just a belief, optional for all.

Or you can send them to state school, where they get told lies as facts, brutalised in the way that all prisons brutalise and otherwise become institutionalised.

Catholcism works for the cult leaders because they know that people can no more stop shagging around than they can stop breathing. They don't care. They only want the guilt, for that's where they get to absolve and therefore control the flock.
  • Options
    No, laws only work if people have something to lose by getting caught.

That's exactly what I said. If you weren't there to swing the club and make it look good while you do it there would be no need for you whatsoever. All you do is look after vested interests.
    People only follow the laws that suit them. That's the simple fact of the matter.

:confused:

So you didn't get a TV licence, or did it "suit you" to get one because of your fear?
    They would if the alternative was the US model, where the poor get to see their kids die because they can't afford the insurance premiums for the medicine.

Ahhh. If you went door to door for the local hospital you'd get a very full tin. If you went door to door for bombs to decimate Iraqi's you might well come up short. Of course, the US model isn't the only other option,and to say it is makes me giggle.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Hm?

Condoms have a failure rate of about 2%, do they not?

Pointing this fact out isn't "spin".
    Try 0.5% and you'll be closer to the mark.

Even if the failure rate was 2%, are you seriously suggesting that something that is 98% is not effective or worthy?

Please...

But the opposite is a set of beliefs being "forced" on children too. Just because you happen to agree with it doesn't mean its not just one set of beliefs..
    Notice that I haven't asked for children to be taught that all religions are lies (despite being what I believe). I've said that children should be taught about all religions and the impact they have had in humankind from a historical context. It's up to them to choose to embrace one when they reach adulthood.

It is wrong, however, to program them to believe any of it as fact.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Try 0.5% and you'll be closer to the mark.

I'm sure its higher than that, but hey ho.
    Even if the failure rate was 2%, are you seriously suggesting that something that is 98% is not effective or worthy?

Nope, I'm saying its ineffective.

Better than not using it, but not ideal. I'd rather people did use condoms, but I really don't think people don't use them because of what the Pope says.

That's the point.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    We call them extremists but they probably have far more experience of the benefits of faith than we do. We only see them through a narrow mind, they being the ones who's minds are open.

The fool hath said in his heart there is no God.

Bollocks - religious believers are as closed-minded as anybody else, they believe that everybody who doesn't worship their particular brand of religion is going to burn in hell or be reincarnated as a dung beetle or something.

I don't think that somebody who believes that every religion apart from Islam or Judaism or whatever is wrong is vastly more open-minded that somebody who just believes that every religion is wrong.
  • Options
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    Bollocks - religious believers are as closed-minded as anybody else, they believe that everybody who doesn't worship their particular brand of religion is going to burn in hell or be reincarnated as a dung beetle or something.

Do I?

Interesting to get told what I think.
  • Options
    I don't want to get into a Bible-quote swapping contest, but if you're a believer in Scripture you can't be in too much doubt about what's going to happen to the unbelievers.

Are there any religions out there that teach that the rules on the afterlife only apply to believers in that religion, and not to everybody?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

:yes:

It's quite good to see how ridiculous a lot of the Old Testament really is.

I tend to pick and choose what I believe.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

That's one of the funniest sites I've ever seen. :D
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Nope, I'm saying its ineffective.

Better than not using it, but not ideal. I'd rather people did use condoms, but I really don't think people don't use them because of what the Pope says.

That's the point.
    A 98% effective item is not inneffective. It's extremely effective in fact.

If only everything in life was 98% effective Kermit, things would be so much better...

As for the Church's position, of course many people do not use them because of it, either directly or indirectly. You might be right that some people might simply ignore the Pope's advice, but the fact remains that the Church's vitriolic, irrational hatred and intolerance of condoms makes them very difficult to obtain- if not outright impossible- to the people of many countries. Hell, even in our civilised and modern continent we had until recently member States where condoms were but impossible to obtain :rolleyes:

The Catholic Church still has disproportionate power and influence in many societies... and it doesn't have a problem using that power and influence to stop everyone, not just those who adhere to its beliefs, from doing things it doesn't approve of.

That is nothing short of evil.
  • Options
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    You think there's absolutely no connection between some people taking a vow of celibacy in the service of the Catholic God, and a big proportion of those same people ending up having sex with young boys?

:eek:

I think you've got some neck to make that kind of comment, regardless of the feelings you have about the clergy. It's the minority, as it's the small minority of foster parents, social workers etc who abuse their charges. I have no goodwill toward the clergy, myself, but I think that was an unnecessary comment.

As for Ratzinger, he's nowhere near as evil-eyed and wizened in the flesh, just FYI. ;)
    I went to a Catholic school until I was 13 - all the sex education I can remember hearing was that contraception was wrong, pre-marital sex was wrong, and homosexuals were freaks of nature to be pitied.

I'm as disilluisoned about catholic schooling as the next person who had a catholic education, but I'm very surprised to hear you actually had a consistent "sex education" and that it was of the "fire and brimstone" variety. The majority of catholic schools broach it in the very same way as most other schools - ignore it and hope it'll go away.
  • Options
    Maybe "big proportion" is overstating it a little but I reckon you'll find a higher proportion of kiddy-fiddlers among Catholic priests than in any other comparable group. From my altar boy days (:o) I certainly remember the Jesuits as being pretty creepy - I wouldn't have wanted to be in a room alone with any of them.

The 'sex education' wasn't really anything organised or consistent - more like a half-hour's monologue one afternoon from the PE teacher.
  • Options
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    The 'sex education' wasn't really anything organised or consistent - more like a half-hour's monologue one afternoon from the PE teacher.

Hmm, we had something like that at one point...with one of the music teachers, who is a nun. Just for that added mortal embarassment factor. :p