Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Roman Catholics taught about contraception

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Incidentally, despite my profound dislike of organised religion I'm not suggesting "all priests are evil paedos" ffs. I'm the first one to happily state that offenders are still a very small minority and that the immense majority of priests are no kiddie fiddlers.

So what's wrong with making a sensible observation that proportionally speaking there is a significantly higher proportion of abusers in the catholic clergy than in other professions? The point of such observation, believe it or not, is not about demonising all priests but trying to understand why such thing happens.

Most people believe is because catholic priests are meant to live a life of compulsory celibacy, which is unhealthy and unnatural.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Most people believe is because catholic priests are meant to live a life of compulsory celibacy, which is unhealthy and unnatural.
    And this is the crux for you, isn't it.

You disapprove of Catholicism (and all religion), and cannot understand celibacy.

You read stories of child abuse performed by Catholics who are celibate. Therefore the the two facts must correlate.

Is my analysis correct?
  • Options
    No, it's not at all but never mind eh...
  • Options
    It;s a very obvious thing that someone with no sexual outlet and a position of domination over others is going to be more tempted toabuse their power for sexual purposes.

Add this to the fact that the clergy will obviously attract sexual devaints who are running from their own procilivities and hey presto - paedo priests!

No normal healthy man is going to give up sex for incense. No normal healthy man is going to believe in rubbish like catholicism or any other major religion. It's myths for children and the feeble minded.

Oh and Kermit, teaching children nonsense as fact IS child abuse.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

But do most people believe that? I'd be shocked if they did; at best they would be showing their ignorance.

Personally, I disagree that it is "unhealthy and unnatural" and resent the fact that because you're of that opinion you are stating it as if it is de facto.
  • Options
    Unless the person has a total lack of sexual drive- and few people are, let's be honest- of course it is unhealthy to repress sexual desires for your entire life. How could it be otherwise??
  • Options
    When a Priest joins the priesthood, he devotes himself entirely to God. No one is denying that these people may have urges but their devotion (by definition) to God overrides these urges.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    When a Priest joins the priesthood, he devotes himself entirely to God. No one is denying that these people may have urges but their devotion (by definition) to God overrides these urges.

Aha thats the theory, basically the priest 'marries' God, dunno whether it actually works in practice though.

Edited to add: Didn't mean to sound like Alan Partridge honest!
  • Options
    Aha thats the theory, basically the priest 'marries' God, dunno whether it actually works in practice though.

Edited to add: Didn't mean to sound like Alan Partridge honest!

I do know what you're getting at; but priests don't marry God (that's the nuns, symbollically, hence most of them wearing wedding bands) as of course the catholic church is staunchly opposed to homosexual relationships. ;):p

A priest/vicar/minister/etc is supposedly the representation of God on earth.

I don't think people whose faith is strong enough for them to want to forsake a sexual life should be automatically derided as all being somehow abnormal...

...that's the kind of close-minded, blanket judgement I'd expect from the catholic church.
  • Options
    It's not so much wanting to remain celibate as having to comply with the rule when sexual desire surfaces.

Not all priests would experience that of course, but many would surely have done. And there is only so much a person can take without cracking up or flipping.

I guess it's a tiny bit easier for them now anyway, seeing as the Vatican has more or less condoned masturbation... or at least stopped condemning it as sinful. If a person is not only not allowed to have sex but also not to masturbate, is there any wonder a few turned the way they did?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    It's not so much wanting to remain celibate as having to comply with the rule when sexual desire surfaces.

Not all priests would experience that of course, but many would surely have done. And there is only so much a person can take without cracking up or flipping.

Oh, absolutely. But then that's the true test of their faith, isn't it?

I'm not pretending that there aren't priests who abuse their position and who abuse children (or even adults) over whom they have a "hold", but I think the majority of those men would be involved in that kind of thing whether they'd become a social worker, teacher, uncle, father, school caretaker. I don't accept that taking a vow of celibacy is directly responsible for the (horrific) abuse that does take place.

I definitely think that men with those tendencies (and the desire to surpress them? or indulge them?) may gravitate toward the church (or one of the other roles I mentioned) as it would give them a great smokescreen and automatic position of respect and trust. I concede that something needs to be done about it, but I don't think changing the celibacy aspect is going to do a thing about it (and it will never happen). ;)

Just a wee bit off the original topic here, heh.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Oh, absolutely. But then that's the true test of their faith, isn't it?

according to the bible no ...it actualy says ...you teach that men cannot marry ...this is the teaching of demons.
  • Options
    I don't know if I'm familiar with where it says that (though I made a concerted effort to forget the parts of the bible I was familiar with), the only thing I could think of pertaining to marriage/celibacy was this from 1 Corinthians:

But I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that. I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn..

So basically, if you have the propensity to lead a celibate life then that's the path you should follow...if the celibate life isn't for you then you're to be married. That's the way I understand it...so you won't be out shagging the harlot of Jerusalem and her mates. ;)

Mandatory celibacy is quite bizarre, but it's obvious why it's a stipulation. The reasoning is clear to see, whether it makes sense or not. If you're celibate and single then you can focus your life on serving God etc, and if you're hitched then you'll be too busy serving your wife (right? right? :p )
  • Options
    As far as I know, the Priest takes 3 vows, one of Obedience, one of poverty and one of celibacy. Not sure about the poverty one as they're rolling in money it seems. Or maybe it's a spritual poverty as a result of their obedience to celibacy. :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Why would a vow to something imaginary mean anything?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

:confused:

The faith that brings them into the Priesthood remains with them, they want to remain celibate as they have chosen to follow God instead of sexual urges.
    If a person is not only not allowed to have sex but also not to masturbte, is there any wonder a few turned the way they did?

So paedophilia is only caused by celibacy?

Interesting argument, you gonna illustrate it with evidence?

Most clergy aren't "rolling" in money either- the Church is asset-rich, but what's it gonna do, sell the Basilica?
  • Options
    It has a lot of art work in the vatican, work by Leonardo and Michaelangelo and everyone else, the whose who of art collections. If they need some cash on hand they could flog some of them...the Pope does Cash in the attic special at the Vatican.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Why would a vow to something imaginary mean anything?

:confused:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The faith that brings them into the Priesthood remains with them, they want to remain celibate as they have chosen to follow God instead of sexual urges.
    That's the theory, yes. Clearly not all of them can observe it.

So paedophilia is only caused by celibacy?

Interesting argument, you gonna illustrate it with evidence?
    Where have I said that?

Read my post again. If you still fail to interpret it properly, I said that forced celibacy might be a reason, not the only one.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

I'll admit i'm not massively up on religion, but is it explicitly stated in the rule book that priests can't take wives or have sexual intercourse? It's just i really don't see the necessity for the two to be mutually exclusive.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I definitely think that men with those tendencies (and the desire to surpress them? or indulge them?) may gravitate toward the church (or one of the other roles I mentioned) as it would give them a great smokescreen and automatic position of respect and trust. I concede that something needs to be done about it, but I don't think changing the celibacy aspect is going to do a thing about it (and it will never happen). ;)
    I don't think that there's many paedophiles of the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang childcatcher variety. I think most of them would be shitting a brick on upon the realisation that they are having sexual thoughts about children. They will be thinking more "what will my family think of me?" rather than, "right, where's the nearest playground. I'm gonna get a job as a priest. Mwahahaha."

Of course, anyone with any sort of taboo sexual tendancies (gay people in the olden days, for example), especially a religious person, might turn to a life of celebacy as a way of trying to deal with it. I would be interested to know if there is (or used to be) a greater number of gay men in the priesthood also, but I'm guessing they don' do that sort of research.
  • Options
    this is what bugs me about religion....what proof is there of any of it? I don't get how its sinful to protect yourself.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Where have I said that?

All the way through the pissing thread, bozo.
    Read my post again. If you still fail to interpret it properly, I said that forced celibacy might be a reason, not the only one.

No, you implied that the reason why "so many" :lol: priests are paedophiles was because of the vow of celibacy. Which of course implies that celibacy is the reason for paedohilia, and that no other reasons apply.

Don't imply something and then ball-ache when someone says you're talking your usual brand of bigoted and offensive bullshit.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    All the way through the pissing thread, bozo.
    Oh yeah? Such as where?

No, you implied that the reason why "so many" :lol: priests are paedophiles was because of the vow of celibacy. Which of course implies that celibacy is the reason for paedohilia, and that no other reasons apply.
    No, it doesn't at all. You appear to have some reading comprehension problems that I didn't know you suffered from. Unless you're pretending of course...
    Don't imply something and then ball-ache when someone says you're talking your usual brand of bigoted and offensive bullshit.
    I haven't implied anything. You're wishing I had done, because then it would be easier to dismiss me. Sorry. Must try harder mate.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    No, it doesn't at all.

Why mention it then?

Oh, because you want to imply that their beliefs are unnatural and immoral, and turn normal people into raging nonces.

Interesting to see you don't even have the guts to stand by your bigotry.
  • Options
    Listen, stop being deliberately obtuse because I know you can read English. Show me where I have said celibacy is the only cause of paedophilia, or give it a fucking rest and stop making things up. :rolleyes:

The immense majority of people (and suspect you too, deep at heart) can see that there appear to be a significantly higher proportion of paedophilia amongst Catholic priests than amongst any other professions, including school teachers or ministers from other Christian denominations who by happy coincidence don't have to observe a wow of celibacy- which kind of destroys your claims that it all boils down to 'position of authority' doesn't it?

The immense majority of people can also join the dots and reach the perfectly logical conclusion that celibacy must play a part in the abnormally high number of paedophilia cases amongst catholic priests (proportionally speaking, lest you start trying to twist my words again :rolleyes: ), even if it is not a factor on all cases, which of course it wouldn't be.

Pity you choose to bury your head in the sand and pretend it's all an atheist conspiracy to smear the good name of the Catholic Church. Though you can believe what you want to of course...
  • Options
    Catholics will defend the Catholic Church.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    who by happy coincidence don't have to observe a wow of celibacy...celibacy must play a part in the abnormally high number of paedophilia cases amongst catholic priests
    So celibacy does cause paedophilia?

Make your mind up, Al.
  • Options
    Read the thread again since I have answered that question several times :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Read the thread again since I have answered that question several times :rolleyes:
    I've just quoted you, Aladdin. Will you stand by your views or not?