Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Drug use increasingly rampant in schools

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Let's try again - if these drugs become legit, will the numbers using them go up or down?

Down, probably after an initial upswing.

A bit like everyone partying too hard after prohibition and then beer becoming a normal part of life again.

The main reason being that legit drugs won't have the same risk and profit margins as illicit ones.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Yep. Increasingly typical Skive response.

How is it typical?
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Do nothing to address what has previously been said and go for a cheap jibe instead.

Fuck off. You are the one that's been dodging my questions. Do you think I deserve bird for taking a couple of pills? Yes or No?

You either think the law should be enforced or it shouldn'?
    stargalaxy wrote:
    OK, I'm far from being the most worldly of people. But because I'm not as open-minded, to put it mildly, about drugs is no reason to make repeated digs at me.

I'm not making digs at you. The simple fact is that people who havn't tried certain things can only imagine... you will never understand unless you experience.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Let's try again - if these drugs become legit, will the numbers using them go up or down?

It doesn't matter.
    More problems arise from drugs remaining illegal - that's the point.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Down, probably after an initial upswing.
    A bit like everyone partying too hard after prohibition and then beer becoming a normal part of life again. The main reason being that legit drugs won't have the same risk and profit margins as illicit ones.
    The only reason I ask is simply because I don't know. When they liberalised the drink laws to bring in 24-hour drinking, there was a fair amount of hysteria about how it would lead to a massive upsurge in health problems related to alcohol, and a huge increase in crimes. Now, it's obviously too early to know about the health question, but it doesn't seem to have caused an increase in crime, if the figures are to be believed.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    The only reason I ask is simply because I don't know. When they liberalised the drink laws to bring in 24-hour drinking, there was a fair amount of hysteria about how it would lead to a massive upsurge in health problems related to alcohol, and a huge increase in crimes. Now, it's obviously too early to know about the health question, but it doesn't seem to have caused an increase in crime, if the figures are to be believed.

Drink cause more grief than all other illegal substances put together - should we make it illegal?

Of course not.

Drugs - including alcohol are a good way to relax.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Drink cause more grief than all other illegal substances put together - should we make it illegal? Of course not. Drugs - including alcohol are a good way to relax.
    Perhaps I'm simply jealous - I'm not allowed to drink at all at the moment.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Perhaps I'm simply jealous - I'm not allowed to drink at all at the moment.

One pill would change your views forever....
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    You never know, do you?
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

:yes:

Sometimes when I hear all these anti-drugs people I just wanna shove a pill down their throats, come back 3 hours later and they'll be signing a different tune altogether about drugs.

SG-I already made a post saying that drug use would go down. It's one or 2 pages back if you want to read it.
  • Options

They aren't that good Skive, all most drugs do is distort what's there already.

Set, setting and attitude on the part of the imbiber are as much a part of the experience as what's taken, you know that.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    They aren't that good Skive, all most drugs do is distort what's there already.

Set, setting and attitude on the part of the imbiber are as much a part of the experience as what's taken, you know that.

I would dissagree with that...

There are many people who would say that drugs like ecstasy used in moderation have changed there lives for the better. It can be a very positive thing for some people.
  • Options
    I would dissagree with that...

Ok.
    There are many people who would say that drugs like ecstasy used in moderation have changed there lives for the better. It can be a very positive thing for some people.

But then you actually agree with me......

:confused:
  • Options
    Legalise and regulate the whole lot. I know 'regulate' should be anathema to someone like me but meh.
  • Options
    Drugs like ecstacy actually release good feeling chemicals from the brain. They actually are that good.

What you say about setting and attitude is true aswell but it does more than merely "distort" what's already there.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Ok.

But then you actually agree with me......

:confused:

:lol:

You know what I only read the first line of your post, I completely missed the rest of it... I have no idea how!!

My apologies!

First post in P&D and I made an arse of myself! Hello everyone! :blush: :thumb:
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    :
    First post in P&D and I made an arse of myself! :
    most people in here continue to do so regularly mate.
    even I have been known to on occasion ...
  • Options
    First post in P&D and I made an arse of myself! Hello everyone! :blush: :thumb:

No worries. Welcome aboard. :thumb:
    Drugs like ecstacy actually release good feeling chemicals from the brain. They actually are that good.

Nope. Errrrrrrk! Booby prize.

They cause a reaction in the brain that releases chemicals. It's the reaction to the drug that causes the effect. If you are in a severe mood of another sort it won't touch you. Ever been severely fucked off/overjoyed and downed a crate of lager/gone overboard on the pills with no effect? That's why.

This also means that once you have a drug experience locked into your memory you can recreate it at will.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

Nope. Errrrrrrk! Booby prize.

They cause a reaction in the brain that releases chemicals. It's the reaction to the drug that causes the effect. If you are in a severe mood of another sort it won't touch you. Ever been severely fucked off/overjoyed and downed a crate of lager/gone overboard on the pills with no effect? That's why.

This also means that once you have a drug experience locked into your memory you can recreate it at will.

Go overboard on any psychoactive you WILL feel an effect. Whether that's severe paranoia or absolute joy is another matter. Setting & mood affect the nature of the trip, that's all.

How exactly do you recreate an E experience a year later?
  • Options
    Go overboard on any psychoactive you WILL feel an effect.

Only if you aren't in a stronger frame in another system. Of course to achieve that you'd be totally out of it in another way entirely so it's not a practical immunity. :lol:
    Whether that's severe paranoia or absolute joy is another matter. Setting & mood affect the nature of the trip, that's all.

Setting also incorporates belief. If we were to take SG as an example, do you really think he would get the same effect out of it (given his uncertainty about the whole issue) as you might?
    How exactly do you recreate an E experience a year later?

Hypnosis. You can recreate any experience you have had and actually create new ones from amalgamations of old ones using hypnosis. Pissed, high, skydiving, orgasming...just whack them in the blender and come out grinning like a twat.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    If we were to take SG as an example, do you really think he would get the same effect out of it (given his uncertainty about the whole issue) as you might?
    Does the effect you get from a drug depend on your mood beforehand, is that a factor?
  • Options
    Does the effect you get from a drug depend on your mood beforehand, is that a factor?

Yup.

Theres also something called "state based learning" where you can only access certain thoughts and skills when in a state (be it an emotion like anger or drug induced alteration) which you have to incrementally pull back from to bring the experience into normal waking consciousness.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Yup.

Theres also something called "state based learning" where you can only access certain thoughts and skills when in a state (be it an emotion like anger or drug induced alteration) which you have to incrementally pull back from to bring the experience into normal waking consciousness.
    So, put in a different way, if I was in a bad mood before taking, say, an E pill, it could affect my reaction to it?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Setting also incorporates belief. If we were to take SG as an example, do you really think he would get the same effect out of it (given his uncertainty about the whole issue) as you might?

Depends what he was taking. It's perfectly conceivable (and probably most likely) that he would enjoy E as much as anyone. Obviously paranoia is a danger on the come up if you're unsure but it's far from a given.
    Hypnosis. You can recreate any experience you have had and actually create new ones from amalgamations of old ones using hypnosis. Pissed, high, skydiving, orgasming...just whack them in the blender and come out grinning like a twat.

You could wipe out drugs beyond first use on a global scale if that's the case. Do you actually do this? Ever had people rolling about with teeth grinding trying to hug you after a spell of hypnosis? :confused:
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

Yes, hugely!
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    Yes, hugely!
    Does being happy mean the drug will have a positive effect? Or is there simply no way of knowing what will happen?

Enjoying being educated about this... :p:)
  • Options
    So, put in a different way, if I was in a bad mood before taking, say, an E pill, it could affect my reaction to it?

Depends on your exact mood, Reciprocal inhibition means that some moods would completely negate the effect. others would enhance it or flatten it out.

I'm not big on the effects of E per se, I just know how states work in the brain.
    You could wipe out drugs beyond first use on a global scale if that's the case. Do you actually do this?

Yup. :D

You still get the come down. :(
    Ever had people rolling about with teeth grinding trying to hug you after a spell of hypnosis? :confused:

Crying, laughing, tears of joy, the hairs all over the body standing on end, visions, hallucinations, regressions to earlier ages and other places, perfect recall of events from over 20 years ago (one guy remembered the licence plate of an ice cram van he had only seen once as a 6 year old) total loss of feeling in the limbs, hysterical blindness, the list goes on and on.

Trick is to get the right effect that the person is after and to bring them out safely the other side.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Does being happy mean the drug will have a positive effect? Or is there simply no way of knowing what will happen?

Enjoying being educated about this... :p:)
    if your realy worried about something ...the only real drug of escape is heroi n and other opiates.
    if your realy worried upset ...smoking cannabis taking mushrooms lsd etc ...usualy magnifies the problem to the enth degree.
    not a nice experience at all ...in fact can be very scary.
    most illegal drugs are of no use whatsoever for escaping your problems ...quite the opposite in fact.
  • Options
    If you're in a bad mood then don't take shrooms. That'll set you off on a bad trip but it's all a learning curve anyway and you'll end up laughing at yourself the next day.

As for E's, I don't think being in a bad mood beforehand will make you have a bad buzz you'll just not get as good a buzz if you were in a good mood.
  • Options
    Statement

I've received quite a lot of criticism on this thread, and on another one, about my views on drugs and drug legalisation. That's all fair enough. I've had a PM off someone who shall remain anonymous who's taken my comments about locking up everyone that takes drugs very personally. This definitely wasn't intentional, but looking again at what I wrote, it can certainly come across as offensive. Maybe I have taken my view slightly too far. To advocate keeping drugs illegal is a fair position to take, but in my case, I might have offended a lot of people with some comments. If I have done, then I apologise unreservedly.

I also promise I'm going to go and try to educate myself a little more about illegal substances before commenting so boldly and harshly in future. To be perfectly frank, I simply don't know enough about drugs to be able to do this. I've got a lot of growing up still to do. In other words, I'm going to be less judgemental of those who choose to take these substances, and I'm going to keep quiet until I've taught myself more about this subject. This area is notably more complicated than I gave it credit for, so on the subject of drug use, I'm going to keep quiet for a while.
  • Options
    Well its good that your willing to learn more...

Its frustrating when something thinks your an idiot for using something they clearly know nothing about.

You know where to go to find out though!

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=91

and on that note, im going to bed. :wave:
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    Well its good that your willing to learn more...
    Its frustrating when something thinks your an idiot for using something they clearly know nothing about.

You know where to go to find out though!
    http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=91
    and on that note, im going to bed. :wave:
    The issue of drugs is one I simply don't know enough about. I started the thread because I was concerned with drug use amongst kids. However, I've clearly taken things too far. I'm going to keep quiet about drugs and use the time to learn something about them.