Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dell In India

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    JsT wrote:
    This is why new people never come into P&D. Every thread eventually turns into childish name calling and a series of pathetic one liners.

I love it when they go off on one.

Its the same in every thread, the same argument. They must never get bored!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I love it when they go off on one.

Its the same in every thread, the same argument. They must never get bored!
    It is quite amusing, not when its a thread like this, were potentially it could have been interested but instead has been trashed.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    It is quite amusing, not when its a thread like this, were potentially it could have been interested but instead has been trashed.

Yes... somewhere back there debate was happening. It got lost though.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    Whatever. You're another one that goes strangely silent when shown to be full of shit.

No - rather after a while I get bored of taking part in an exchange of pithy insults....
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    No - rather after a while I get bored of taking part in an exchange of pithy insults....

Yes, that's exactly why you left the discussion about right to buy and homelessness isn't it?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yes, that's exactly why you left the discussion about right to buy and homelessness isn't it?

No - actually I left because I went on holiday for a week....
  • Options
    Convenient
  • Options
    And I'm going to be in meetings most of tomorrow if that's alright by you as well....
  • Options
    I suppose the truth is, these people take on jobs in call centres simply because they have to, they need the money. Have you ever seen a child say "I wanna be a call centre worker when I grow up!"? I wouldn't bet on it.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Have you suddenly become me? :chin:
    I desperately hope not. :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I suppose the truth is, these people take on jobs in call centres simply because they have to, they need the money. Have you ever seen a child say "I wanna be a call centre worker when I grow up!"? I wouldn't bet on it.

Why else would you take so much shit down a phone because YES for the third time, it IS turned on. It's because there aren't exactally any other jobs over there that pay that well. It's still disgracefully low, mind.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I desperately hope not. :p

Hahaha. At least he's a Torie with standards I guess.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I think I know a tad more about it than you do - seeing as its my job an'all to help people get back into employment. You're a spoilt middle class arse and you know it.

:crying:

Poor Blagsta you must lead such a hard life messing around on the internet and 'helping people back into employment' which gives you such great insight into the life of an Indian call-centre worker obviously.......

Everything you say must be true because you're working class (which you probably aren't).

and obviously I am 'spoilt' because I disagree with you.........

Kermit care to enlighten me as to the 'agenda' of those authors? Easy to say that anyone who says something you don't like has an agenda isn't it? Equivalent of putting your hands over your ears and going NANANANANANANANA

Maybe you would like to criticise the substance of their investigation...............
  • Options
    The first line of the introduction immediately says everything you need to know about that "independent" and "neutral" report.

Try again, Mr Economics.
  • Options
    "The role of foreign direct investment (FDI) has been widely recognized as a growth-enhancing
    factor in developing countries."

:confused:

Yes this is true, this is the very point I was bringing your attention to, do you know something that shows this to be wrong?
  • Options
    It shows that the authors knew what they were going to say before they even bothered to get down to the facts.

Which negates the entirety of your point that it was "unbiased". It isn't unbiased if you prove what you think, and omit everything else.

The premise is obvious, the agenda is obvious. And I don't say that because it is talking bunkum, I say that because no apparent effort was made to consider the full range of facts.

GDP is meaningless as a barometer of wealth, don't forget that folks.
  • Options
    Read the abstract, they consider the impact of trade regimes on the way FDi impacts growth.

Their empirical conclusions could well have shown that FDI had a negative effect on growth, as it happens it doesn't because it is a well supported fact, as they state that FDI is good for growth.

Which is the point I have been trying to make though it is obvious that you will desperately come up with any reason to deny the truth.

Oh well...........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    :crying:

Poor Blagsta you must lead such a hard life messing around on the internet and 'helping people back into employment' which gives you such great insight into the life of an Indian call-centre worker obviously.......

I post on here in my lunch break. I currently work with people who have a history of drug or alcohol problems, helping them access education, training and employment. I leave here at the end of next week for a job workign with street homeless drug users in the West End. I think that gives me more of a clue than you about the realities of life for people on the sharp end.
    Toadborg wrote:
    Everything you say must be true because you're working class (which you probably aren't).

What the fuck are you on about now?
    Toadborg wrote:
    and obviously I am 'spoilt' because I disagree with you.........

No,, you're quite obviously spoilt (or at the very least naive) if you think that most people have much of a "choice" when it comes to work.
    Toadborg wrote:
    Kermit care to enlighten me as to the 'agenda' of those authors? Easy to say that anyone who says something you don't like has an agenda isn't it? Equivalent of putting your hands over your ears and going NANANANANANANANA

Maybe you would like to criticise the substance of their investigation...............

I don't believe you're doing an MA in economics as you claim. If you really were studying at that level, (or even undergraduate level) you would be able to understand critiques of sources and agendas. As it is, you're understanding appears to be at sub-GCSE level.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    "The role of foreign direct investment (FDI) has been widely recognized as a growth-enhancing
    factor in developing countries."

:confused:

Yes this is true, this is the very point I was bringing your attention to, do you know something that shows this to be wrong?

I notice you've completely failed to address any of my points.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Read the abstract, they consider the impact of trade regimes on the way FDi impacts growth.

Their empirical conclusions could well have shown that FDI had a negative effect on growth, as it happens it doesn't because it is a well supported fact, as they state that FDI is good for growth.

Which is the point I have been trying to make though it is obvious that you will desperately come up with any reason to deny the truth.

Oh well...........

"deny the truth" :lol:

I deny biased sources as empirical. That is a biased source, and not simply because it disagrees with my viewpoint as you will no doubt claim.

When the first sentence says what it does, any sensible critique would be that the authors of that report have an agenda, or at the very least a deep-seated bias.

Even more importantly, that source again labours under the mis-apprehension that GDP is a barometer of wealth. It isn't- never has been, never will be.
  • Options
    I post on here in my lunch break. I currently work with people who have a history of drug or alcohol problems, helping them access education, training and employment. I leave here at the end of next week for a job workign with street homeless drug users in the West End. I think that gives me more of a clue than you about the realities of life for people on the sharp end.

Would you rather be in a field shovelling shit, one of your clients down the west end or answering the phone all day?

I take it you can't wait for them to form businesses etc and make pots of cash for themselves once they leave their horrible lives behind?
    No,, you're quite obviously spoilt (or at the very least naive) if you think that most people have much of a "choice" when it comes to work.

Theres always choice. If you think there isn't your thinking is faulty.
  • Options
    *Sigh*

I shouldn't expect better from people that don't know anything about economics even ones with university educations.

never mind, I wasn't going to change your mind anyway was I?

This talk of bias and agendas and bizarre criticisms of GDP is just a ploy to avoid confronting the facts, oh well........
  • Options
    Oh no, Toady's going off on one again because someone disagrees with him. I'm stupid and "don't understand" because I think his view is naive, and doesn't take into account anything to do with the real world.

"I can't be convinced". How the fuck did Blagsta manage it then? I never used to agree with him.

GDP does not define anything, least of all wealth. That entire source of yours was based on GDP. Therefore that source was meaningless.

No, I'm not an economics expert. I seriously doubt you are.

But any fool can see that the GDP of a country has little or no impact on the wealth of the population. Such a shame the fools on your source didn't- if the GDP rises, its good.

After all, it was once said the best person for a country's GDP was a person dying of cancer doing through a costly divorce. That's a really good barometer of wealth.

Next?
    klintock wrote:
    Theres always choice. If you think there isn't your thinking is faulty.

Frying pan or fire isn't a choice worthy of the name.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    *Sigh*

I shouldn't expect better from people that don't know anything about economics even ones with university educations.

Oh the irony :D
    Toadborg wrote:
    never mind, I wasn't going to change your mind anyway was I?

This talk of bias and agendas and bizarre criticisms of GDP is just a ploy to avoid confronting the facts, oh well........

You wouldn't know a fact if it came up and smacked you in the face. That's clear from the way you are avoiding the issues...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    GDP does not define anything, least of all wealth. That entire source of yours was based on GDP. Therefore that source was meaningless.

No, I'm not an economics expert. I seriously doubt you are.

But any fool can see that the GDP of a country has little or no impact on the wealth of the population. Such a shame the fools on your source didn't- if the GDP rises, its good.

Quite. Its the usual neo-liberal "trickle down" guff, discredited long ago.
  • Options
    Frying pan or fire isn't a choice worthy of the name.

Two choices? How many ways to get from your front door to your kitchen? Can you think of them all?

Theres always a choice. Fact that people miss it is sad.
    Quite. Its the usual neo-liberal "trickle down" guff, discredited long ago.

Trickle down does work. It's crap, but it does work.
  • Options
    This is absolutly hilarious. Economic analysis is done by coming up with a theory and trying to prove it empyricaly but......they all have an agenda cry.gif...capital cry.gif
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    If you really were studying at that level, (or even undergraduate level) you would be able to understand critiques of sources and agendas. As it is, you're understanding appears to be at sub-GCSE level.

The statistical inference at the end more than suffices to test the validity of the data or hypotheses in the paper.
  • Options
    I notice that you're unable to engage with any of the points too. Quelle surprise. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    emotbarf0pv.gif
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Do you know what GDP is?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

You wouldn't know a fact if it came up and smacked you in the face. That's clear from the way you are avoiding the issues...

I don't remember you supplying any 'facts' in this thread.........