Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

US launching huge air attacks in Iraq

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You have no idea how moral systems work or how they are analysed.

You mean there is a system? No one told me, so I just do what I usually do, which is make something up and run with it. If they had told me I would have made something up and just run with it, like I usually do. What's wrong with that?
    I'm actually laughing at you klintock, i've never bothered to read your epics with blagsta but i now realise you're a total lunatic, and a highly ignorant one at that.

Ahh. So sorry for not knowing how you like you arguments for and against morality to be staged. I'll try and book a mind reading class at some point. It really should have occured to you that in any debate with me you are debating with someone who shares *none* of your asumptions.
    Thanks for the enlightenment.

No worries. You assumed things and were wrong. Learn a lesson.
    Of course the whole situation is bad, one which is preferably avoided. But when you make the statement "killing is always wrong", you're making a blanket statement which negates the justification/permissibility of killing under any circumstance.

No I'm not. I didn't. Weren't you reading or something?
    Anything which you consider morally wrong all the time cannot rationally be considered permissible under any circumstance, theoretical or otherwise.

Ah well, this is where my unfortunate tendency tolive in the real world comes in. in the real world you can do anything. Morality is just how you feel about what happens. This being the case, can you make up moral rules that will be broken by reality - of course you can.
    I'm talking permissibility with regards to morality, nothing else. Certainly not the state if that's what you're thinking.

permissibility by who? Something can be always wrong and go unpunished. The morality of an action isn't in any way connected to your ability to do anything about it, if morality exists at all. it's more than possible to have a universal moral rule that no one follows, ask any christian or other reluigious type. There are plenty.
    No, it's YOU who's missing the point. I told you that using theoretical examples to test a moral system is standard procedure when dealing with morality

Not mine mate. I measure everything by external reality, you should have worked that out by now.
    You replied "yup" then started complaining again. :confused:

yeah, i do that.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I just do what I usually do, which is make something up and run with it.

And therein lies the problem.
  • Options
    And therein lies the problem.

Only if you make a whole raft of assumptions instead of dealing with what's in front of you.

Which is your problem, not mine.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Only if you make a whole raft of assumptions instead of dealing with what's in front of you.

Which is your problem, not mine.

And what assumptions are these?
  • Options
    Of course the whole situation is bad, one which is preferably avoided. But when you make the statement "killing is always wrong", you're making a blanket statement which negates the justification/permissibility of killing under any circumstance.

You assumed I was doing this.
    Anything which you consider morally wrong all the time cannot rationally be considered permissible under any circumstance, theoretical or otherwise.

And this.
    No, it's YOU who's missing the point. I told you that using theoretical examples to test a moral system is standard procedure when dealing with morality when you were complaining about absurd scenarios being presented.

Annnnnnnnnnnnd this!
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Reread the thread, it's right back at the start.

What a ridiculous statement. I just drew a line down the middle of "england" and called the two halves "strawberry" and "chocolate". Do they now exist?

Mine was a legal document.

yep, like mine.

So, if I put a fence in a field, we have a country? If I ask people for ID coming into my house I am a nation? Ridiculous nonsense.

If it exists physically why do you have to take actions like putting up fences to make it happen?

I don't need to. You're the one who is claiming the existence of something. You are the one with the burden of proof.

No, your consistently ignoring the evidence of your senses in favour of what you believe. Hence - irrational.

No, you came out with a lot of crap. I asked you a question about the nonsense you posted and never heard back about it. As you can't back up your original point I am assuming it was ill thought out nonsense like the rest of your assertions.

You reall do belive what you say. You complete change everyting around and its just not true.

Please quote where I called you and used the term"simple minded"

That is also the most ridculous argument I have heard. Countries exists leaglly on paper. Lgeal documents of existance, of laws orf systems, of rules and regulations of recorded history or border controls, of txation systems etc etc etc.

Your argmenments that you are using are pedantic, they really are.

You might aswell say nothing exists coz its non existance is a possibility because we are living in the matrix.

I used the borders to prove countries exists. You question asking why is a nonsense one.

No I didn't come out ith a lot of crap at all and once again you go down to insulting some1 and their argument. Its base.

You asked the ONE question of when killing is right and I gave you numerous examples and now your changing things round and shifting th e question and not sticking to the deal and once again you insult me and my opinion.

You are not as intellectual as you think you are kilintock, in fact you come accross as arrogant.

I am sure there are plenty of peopel out there both intllectual and not who would not agree with you.
  • Options
    You reall do belive what you say. You complete change everyting around and its just not true.

I don't believe it. It just happens to be truth. I don't believe I am sat at my PC right now either. It's just a fact.
    Please quote where I called you and used the term"simple minded"

"What a simplistic, child like view". Ok I am not word for word. I have a poor memory for insults, what can I say?
    That is also the most ridculous argument I have heard.

Which one?
    Countries exists leaglly on paper.

The factual differences between a "legal" document and anything else written on paper please.
    Countries exists leaglly on paper.

Someone has written down their opinion on a piece of paper. So what? I can write that there are fairies at the bottom of my garden. Does that make it true?
    Lgeal documents of existance, of laws orf systems, of rules and regulations of recorded history or border controls, of txation systems etc etc etc.

What's the difference in factual, material reality between a "legal" document and any other written piece of paper? Is it a colour, it's weight? Does the paper make mooing noises as you fold it? What is the factual, measurable difference?
    You might aswell say nothing exists coz its non existance is a possibility because we are living in the matrix.

Noooo.......your the one who can see things that aren't there mate.
    I used the borders to prove countries exists. You question asking why is a nonsense one.

Some factual, material, real world evidence for the existence of those borders would be great. Answers to my other questions would also be magic.
    You asked the ONE question of when killing is right and I gave you numerous examples and now your changing things round and shifting th e question and not sticking to the deal and once again you insult me and my opinion.

Only you never did. I rejected your example and gave you reasons why. You never addressed those reasons. Which is kinda the next stage in a debate.
    You are not as intellectual as you think you are kilintock, in fact you come accross as arrogant.

I ain't intellectual in the slightest. Anything but in fact. I am very, very simple. If someone tells me something exists I go check with my senses and if I find nothing conclude they are mad.

Tell me God exists...I want proof. If there is none, you are wrong and insane. Tell me a country exists I want proof. If there is none, you are wrong and insane.
  • Options
    You have to pay your taxes and carry a passport to go abroad just like everybody else, why don't you just deal with it?
  • Options
    You have to pay your taxes and carry a passport to go abroad just like everybody else, why don't you just deal with it?

Do I?
  • Options
    Do shops waive the VAT when you wander in to try and buy something? Do pubs give you a duty-free pint when you explain to the barman that you don't believe in countries? When you fly somewhere do you sail through immigration without showing anything, bypassing the queues of people waiting to show their passports and smirking at their foolishness?

I don't think so...
  • Options
    You truly are insane.
  • Options
    Do shops waive the VAT when you wander in to try and buy something?

Nope.
    Do pubs give you a duty-free pint when you explain to the barman that you don't believe in countries?

Nope.

Course they aren't taxes upon me, they are taxes upon the salesmen. You really believe that shit they shovel, don'tcha? I can't avoid taxes upon other people, which is why they are there.
    When you fly somewhere do you sail through immigration without showing anything, bypassing the queues of people waiting to show their passports and smirking at their foolishness?

Nope.

You've kindof lost me. What's your point?
  • Options
    How intriguing. So, WD will argue for
    "Lgeal documents of existance, of laws orf systems, of rules and regulations of recorded history or border controls, of txation systems etc etc etc."

as his basis for argument that countries exist, but yet vociferously denies both the existence of international law (especially as it details the characteristics and conditions of War Crimes and crimes against humanity) and its applicable consequences against those clearly in breach of such precepts, despite the empirical existence of:
    Lgeal documents of existance, of laws orf systems, of rules and regulations of recorded history....[add: duly signed and ratified treaties, conventions, protocols, etc.]

Seems cognitive consistency isn't WD's strong point.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    What's your point?

Have you had a blow on the head since two posts back and lost your memory? My point is that you have to pay your taxes and carry a passport to go abroad exactly like everybody else, so moaning non-stop about how countries don't really exist and can't be proven just makes you look daft.
  • Options
    Have you had a blow on the head since two posts back and lost your memory? My point is that you have to pay your taxes and carry a passport to go abroad exactly like everybody else, so moaning non-stop about how countries don't really exist and can't be proven just makes you look daft.

The fact that lunatic cult members use violence to make everyone else comply with their delusions does not make those delusions real.

Or did the spanish inquisition pop god into existence?
  • Options
    Whether you believe in them or not, you're never going to be able to escape nations and government without moving to an isolated cabin in the woods and living off the land, so why don't you just try and get over it?
  • Options
    How intriguing. So, WD will argue for

as his basis for argument that countries exist, but yet vociferously denies both the existence of international law (especially as it details the characteristics and conditions of War Crimes and crimes against humanity) and its applicable consequences against those clearly in breach of such precepts, despite the empirical existence of:

Seems cognitive consistency isn't WD's strong point.

Hardly.

Countires, laws extist etc, borders exixts.

Buy you can't claim something is a War Crime or a Crime Againstr humanity if it isn't.

International Law is questionable but bears no relation to this argument.
  • Options
    Whether you believe in them or not, you're never going to be able to escape nations and government without moving to an isolated cabin in the woods and living off the land, so why don't you just deal with it?

Ok ok. Fair enough.

So, we are saying that I am right or are we saying I am wrong?

If I am right (and I am) we are more or less ruled by a fundamentalist cult that takes your children at gunpoint and submits them to 14 years of indoctrination, whcih steals from every man woman and child within it's sphere of influence, has killed nearly a half a billion people in the last century alone, demands your total obedience and is run by the insane and the evil.

Not only that but it has been so successful that most people aren't even aware that they have been dominated by ideas, so imprisoned by ideas they think are "facts" that their ability to think has more or less totally gone.

How exactly would you like me to "deal with it?"?
  • Options
    Sounds like there's a cabin in the woods with your name on it.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Hardly.

Countires, laws extist etc, borders exixts.

Buy you can't claim something is a War Crime or a Crime Againstr humanity if it isn't.

International Law is questionable but bears no relation to this argument.
    It does when you suddenly become selective in what does or doesn't exist.

Either laws, accords and agreements exist, or they don't.

There is such thing as war crimes and crimes against humanity. The US in particular is guilty of the former. Deal with it.
  • Options
    Sounds like there's a cabin in the woods with your name on it.

Except there isn't. Some taxman would come knocking at my door, demanding my time and energy to serve his deranged ideas of nation and country.

So am I wrong or am I correct?

Also, it's not a question of escaping "country" or "government" it's a question of minimising contact with those parasites that believe in it. Why? Because empty concepts don't exist in the first place.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    It does when you suddenly become selective in what does or doesn't exist.

Either laws, accords and agreements exist, or they don't.

There is such thing as war crimes and crimes against humanity. The US in particular is guilty of the former. Deal with it.

Forgive my wording of this and this statment but you must be retarded.

I take it back, sorry.

You are deliberately twsiting my words or really are sooooooo dense that you cannot understand a simple argument.

I KNOW LAWS , COUNTRIES AND AGREEMENTS EXIST, I NEVER SAID THEY DIN'T UNLIKE KLINTOCK.

International law may not exist but only forms as part of treaty law which isn't the same as international law.

Human rights laws do exist, war crimes laws do exist but has America broken them????? No!!!!!!!!!

Deal with it.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    So am I wrong or am I correct?

You're right in that countries and governments are artifical , intangible things created by humanity - but a three-year-old could figure that out, you’re not exactly breaking fresh and exciting new ground with your beliefs, you’re just reinventing the wheel.
    klintock wrote:
    Also, it's not a question of escaping "country" or "government" it's a question of minimising contact with those parasites that believe in it. Why? Because empty concepts don't exist in the first place.

Spending a lot of time on the internet in a forum about politics where people debate the actions of countries and governments is your idea of ‘minimising contact’?
  • Options
    :lol:

To be fair to Walkin, all he is doing is what those who run these cults do - changing the goalposts, changing the rules, to suit whatever it is they wish to endorse this week.
    I KNOW LAWS , COUNTRIES AND AGREEMENTS EXIST, I NEVER SAID THEY DIN'T UNLIKE KLINTOCK.

:lol:

Let's put it more mildly. I will now say that I don't know either way, and if there is any evidence for your assertions I will happily change my mind.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Human rights laws do exist, war crimes laws do exist but has America broken them????? No!!!!!!!!!

http://www.genevaconventions.org
  • Options
    In a thread devoted to US air strikes against Iraq, sorry to say WD international law is very much pertinent to the discussion. All the more so in the light of your clear lack of grasp of the "legal documents, etc.. etc.." which you vaguely toss out to support one argument whilst summarily dismissing the same when it bears on matters of criminality that would force you to abandon the "brand-America" righteousness you so unquestionably subscribe to.

There is nothing vague about the Nuremberg Principles' clearly stipulated conditions for "War Crimes", "Crimes against the peace", et al. Neither is there is there any vagueness in the Vienna Conventions stipulations on the limitations of internal political manipulation of an occupied country by the occupier. Again there is nothing vague about the Geneva Convention, Hague Convention of 1908, etc.

A government which has repeatedly declared itself above the obligations to which it demands other nations comply, whilst arrogantly proclaiming itself the arbiter of global justice, is a dangerous menace no less so than if it had been one of a number of oft-villified nations which had invaded and occupied the country.
  • Options
    You're right in that countries and governments are artifical , intangible things created by humanity - but a three-year-old could figure that out, you’re not exactly breaking fresh and exciting new ground with your beliefs, you’re just reinventing the wheel.

Oh ok. interesting view. Sooooo you would agree with me that taxation is theft, soldiers are murderers, those who believe in such things to the exclusion of reality are insane and that the whole thing is merely the violent domination of one set of epople by another, is utterly evil and should go?

You also accept that all laws are optional, you have no rights or entitlements, you cannot trust any authority figure (because the more power you have the more lies you must believe in or at least use) and that you have no nation, no identity in that sphere?

No more cheering footballers when "england" go play, no more last night of the proms, no more of whatever emotional hook they got you to play along with?

Great. Welcome aboard.
    Spending a lot of time on the internet in a forum about politics where people debate the actions of countries and governments is your idea of ‘minimising contact’?

Oh dear. This is about the discussion of ideas. Minimising contact with the active agents of the state (police, taxmen etc) is an entirely different matter.

Those are empty concepts, btw. Governments don't kill people, rappers do...on hang on...individuals do. There is no army. There is no navy. There are people who excuse their murders and thefts through such labels, but they are insane and should be treated as such.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    International law may not exist but only forms as part of treaty law which isn't the same as international law.
    What? :confused::confused::confused:

Deal with it.
    Are you being deliberately obtuse or something?

If Human right and war crime laws exist, then how on earth hasn't America broken them?

Are you aware of a certain 'holiday' camp called Guantanamo Bay?

Are you aware of a certain penitentiary establishment called Abu Ghraib?

Are you aware of illegal kidnapping of fighters and subsequent illegal imprisonment and torture by the US intelligent services?

Are you aware of the right to a fair trial?

Are you aware of summary executions of innocent men, women and children in revenge, frenzied attacks (as documented ad nauseam in the press)?

Are you aware of what the Geneva Convention says about POWs?

Seriously... is there something wrong with you?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Oh ok. interesting view. Sooooo you would agree with me that taxation is theft, soldiers are murderers, those who believe in such things to the exclusion of reality are insane and that the whole thing is merely the violent domination of one set of epople by another, is utterly evil and should go?

You also accept that all laws are optional, you have no rights or entitlements, you cannot trust any authority figure (because the more power you have the more lies you must believe in or at least use) and that you have no nation, no identity in that sphere?

No more cheering footballers when "england" go play, no more last night of the proms, no more of whatever emotional hook they got you to play along with?

I'm not patriotic and never have been, nor do I have any trust in or respect for authority - I'm happy to accept having some kind of government as a necessary evil though, without one people would be getting fucked over by capitalist scum even more then they are already.
  • Options
    WD, I truly suggest you stop basing your arguments on your "most-favoured-nation" opinion and educate yourself with some factual research...
    Principle I
    Any person who commits an act which constitutes a crime under international law is responsible therefor and liable to punishment.

Principle II
    The fact that internal law does not impose a penalty for an act which constitutes a crime under international law does not relieve the person who committed the act from responsibility under international law.

Principle III
    The fact that a person who committed an act which constitutes a crime under international law acted as Head of State or responsible Government official does not relieve him from responsibility under international law.

Principle IV
    The fact that a person acted pursuant to order of his Government or of a superior does not relieve him from responsibility under international law, provided a moral choice was in fact possible to him.

Principle V
    Any person charged with a crime under international law has the right to a fair trial on the facts and law.

Principle Vl
    The crimes hereinafter set out are punishable as crimes under; international law:

Crimes against peace:
    Planning, preparation, initiation or waging of a war of aggression or a war in violation of international treaties, agreements or assurances; Participation in a common plan or conspiracy for the accomplishment of any of the acts mentioned under (i).

War crimes:
    Violations of the laws or customs of war which include, but are not limited to, murder, ill-treatment or deportation to slave-labor or for any other purpose of civilian population of or in occupied territory, murder or illtreatment of prisoners of war, of persons on the seas, killing of hostages, plunder of public or private property, wanton destruction of cities, towns, or villages, or devastation not justified by military necessity.

Crimes against humanity:
    Murder, extermination, enslavement, deportation and other inhuman acts done against any civilian population, or persecutions on political, racial or religious grounds, when such acts are done or such persecutions are carried on in execution of or in connection with any crime against peace or any war crime.

Principle VII
    Complicity in the commission of a crime against peace, a war crime, or a crime against humanity as set forth in Principles VI is a crime under international law.

http://deoxy.org/wc/wc-index.htm

Time to put away your preferred illusions and happy notions of magnanimous intentions in Washington's use of military force against other nations and face the dirty truth of the criminality of unilateralist aggression as it has been used for decades to advance US foreign policy objectives.