Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Shoplifting

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    What a bizzare comment. I'm pretty certain that many people have been tempted to steal before. I definitely have. But I've resisted. And that's what it's about - whether you give in or you exercise self-restraint.

Look! Watch out for the pigeon. It's gonna eat you!
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Look! Watch out for the pigeon. It's gonna eat you!
    :p Pigeons are amoral creatures. I'd like to see every one of them shot. And seagulls too. But that's for another thread...
  • Options
    No, seriously, there's a pigeon behind you wearing a kidderminster harriers football top...he wants to eat you!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote:
    What a bizzare comment. I'm pretty certain that many people have been tempted to steal before. I definitely have. But I've resisted. And that's what it's about - whether you give in or you exercise self-restraint.

Some people have to do it though as I've already said. If people don't do anyhting to help those in trouble they're going to help themselves. Homeless people, drug addicts, deperate people.

And you want to cut their hands off for stealing. Along with your comment about 'chavs' that shows a little narrowmindedness I think.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    it depends on whether they want to be helped or not. If they do, excellent.

And if they don't, or don't show that they do in a way that you deem appropriate? fuck 'em? nice
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Skive wrote:
    I keeping with this homeless thing cos a mate of mine has a criminal record for shoplifting whilst on the streets. He had drug and familly problems, there was no shelter in Salisbury, no help what so ever infact. He had to steal to survive, I've noticed the people here talking about how it's so wrong are also the people who'd never consider giving change to the homeless.

You are right, I would never consider giving change to the homeless, purely because if they have a drug problem like your friend then I wouldn't want to fund his drug habit. However, I would consider and have given food and clothes to the homeless before.

And I still think that stealing is wrong.
  • Options
    You are right, I would never consider giving change to the homeless, purely because if they have a drug problem like your friend then I wouldn't want to fund his drug habit. However, I would consider and have given food and clothes to the homeless before.

Do you know what it's like being a drug user, nevermind a homeless one. Sometimes drugs is all they have.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Some people have to do it though as I've already said. If people don't do anyhting to help those in trouble they're going to help themselves. Homeless people, drug addicts, deperate people.
    I don't doubt that. But it does not justify theft.
    katralla wrote:
    And if they don't, or don't show that they do in a way that you deem appropriate? fuck 'em? nice
    People need to help themselves, and if they won't do that, trying to help them would be in vain.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    People need to help themselves, and if they won't do that, trying to help them would be in vain.

I agree, all depressed people need to help themselves and don't need help because it'll all be in vain.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Do you know what it's like being a drug user, nevermind a homeless one. Sometimes drugs is all they have.

Either way, I would still want to see my money being used for things that will keep them alive, like food and warmth.

I don't feel guilty that I don't give money to the homeless. I help in other ways.
  • Options
    Either way, I would still want to see my money being used for things that will keep them alive, like food and warmth.

I don't feel guilty that I don't give money to the homeless. I help in other ways.

Fair enough but a quater bottle of a few spliffs might help him through a cold night. I understand where you're coming from though.
  • Options
    You are right, I would never consider giving change to the homeless, purely because if they have a drug problem like your friend then I wouldn't want to fund his drug habit.

Well that's the problem. An addict will still find the money to pay for their 'habit' even if it means stealing, all thanks to our current drug laws - but that's a another debate.

Unfortunately a very popular view is that addicts are scum and don't deserve to be helped.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    i've never stolen anything before and hope i never have to.

i once saw a man steal some bread from tesco. he put it up his jacket and off he went.
  • Options
    i once saw a man steal some bread from tesco. he put it up his jacket and off he went.

See I thinks that's sad. Somebody's obviously desperate enough to risk a criminal record for a loaf of bread.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Unfortunately a very popular view is that addicts are scum and don't deserve to be helped.

I just want to point out that this is not a view that I have ever held and will probably never hold. Yes, there are probably some that are scum but there certainly many non-addicts that are also scum.

Secondly, yes, they may find ways, eg stealing, to fund their drug habit, but I personally would rather that I gave them clothes etc than give them those few quid that buys them this that and the next thing and then find out that he ODd that night. I wouldn't want that on my conscience so I would rather do it this way instead.

Either way, this is getting off topic.
  • Options
    yeh it is pretty tragic when you need to resort to stealing a loaf costing around 60p. yes, he could well get a criminal record if he was caught but would they really take it that far?
  • Options
    This is all off-topic.

Spliffie should never have stolen everything that he did. He obviously has it good to a point if he can afford Rizla, as well as the comfort to boast about it at 2.30AM.
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    This is all off-topic.

Spliffie should never have stolen everything that he did. He obviously has it good to a point if he can afford Rizla, as well as the comfort to boast about it at 2.30AM.

I agree with this and your other point 1983. Spliffie isn't homeless, he's just coming across as a typical embarrassment to Glasgow (i.e. Ned) who thinks he's owed something.
  • Options
    pinkstar wrote:
    I agree with this and your other point 1983. Spliffie isn't homeless, he's just coming across as a typical embarrassment to Glasgow (i.e. Ned) who thinks he's owed something.

That's the thing, you get neds EVERYWHERE. And he's one in Stirling. :(

Just because he can include a polysyllabic word doesn't excuse the fact he's a sponger.
  • Options
    Without a doubt what Spliffie did was wrong, but it doesn't bother me.

It's only 'neds' and 'chavs' that steal is it 1983? What the fuck is a ned?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    It's only 'neds' and 'chavs' that steal is it 1983?

When did I say that?

I'm saying he's a ned because he has a stoner AV and he thinks the fact that he paid for his Rizlas justifies that he's a good guy. *sniff sniff* I smell shite.

He then went and had a bitch about Glaswegians and the neddish culture because of Jazza's Mam, etc. Not nice. PLUS, he has a MAJOR chip on his shoulder.

Quite the characteristics of a ned.
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    Quite the characteristics of a ned.

Well thank you for the comprehensive description of what a 'ned' is. :rolleyes:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Well thank you for the comprehensive description of what a 'ned' is. :rolleyes:

Mmkay, and thank you for painting the difference of opinion a lighter shade of neon yellow.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Buying the skins was a distraction. Most shoplifters do it. You don't walk into a shop, walk around all suspiciously, getting your shit and just walk out. You get your stuff, pretend you're looking for something that's not there, then go to the counter and buy the skins as if that was the mian thing you were looking for.

And what's this about "you wouldn't do it if you had morals" What a silly thing to say, I have plenty of morals than you. Unless you've ever shoplifted, felt the need to shoplift, been in a situation where you had to shoplift, being with people who shoplifted also, then you have no reason to say what it's all about.
    I have been so hungry that I would steal for food, but I didnt becuase its not morally right. When I was younger my parents were made redundent and we didnt have any money apart from just enough to keep the house. I would walk to school cos I couldnt afford the bus fair then I would have to wait till dinner time for 9p a tin beans on 15p value bread. I may not have been homeless but I know what its like to go hungry so dont go on like I have no idea what its like cos I do. I would never steal because I have dignity, self respect and morals.
  • Options
    Zella wrote:
    I have been so hungry that I would steal for food, but I didnt becuase its not morally right. When I was younger my parents were made redundent and we didnt have any money apart from just enough to keep the house. I would walk to school cos I couldnt afford the bus fair then I would have to wait till dinner time for 9p a tin beans on 15p value bread. I may not have been homeless but I know what its like to go hungry so dont go on like I have no idea what its like cos I do. I would never steal because I have dignity, self respect and morals.

Exactly. And I'm not really sure why people have been going on about homeless folk and "being forced to steal" in this thread either.

Spliffie has money to spare on internet access, and money to stick stuff into skins to smoke unless the intention is to glue them all together for fun, so, to be honest, is neither likely to be homeless or unable to eat, but rather just another useless thieving scab on society who thinks it's somehow "cool" or otherwise justifyable to nick stuff.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Exactly. And I'm not really sure why people have been going on about homeless folk and "being forced to steal" in this thread either.

Because the thread moved into a discussion about stealiing in general.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I've had to eat stolen food to survive before..I was heavily pregnant and living on £50 a week and because of various problems with housing, benefits and everything, the money was going into the bank and being eaten up by an unauthorised overdraft, and there was nothing anyone could do about it.

When it got to the point where I was 34 weeks pregnant and felt faint and sick from lack of food my ex decided it was time to go on a shoplifting mission. We hadn't eaten for 2 days. We used to live off sacks of value spuds, pasta and 9p beans but we didn't even have enough for that. Literally had 2p between us, we were stealing toilet roll from the pub opposite the squat and the ex was nicking fag ends out the ashtrays to make roll ups from. There was really nothing else for it, we had nowhere to go or anyone we could borrow from. It was nothing to do with lack of self esteem or morals, just sheer desperation!!

I know it was wrong but there was honestly nothing else that could have been done - we had nothing to sell, no family that I could turn to at that point and nobody we knew had money they could lend or spare food to give us a meal. The things he stole weren't luxury, a bag of rice, a bag of pasta, some dried milk and some porridge oats but it kept us afloat until the financial stuff ironed itself out.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Oops
  • Options
    Thieving is still fucking thieving, regardless of who you thieve against. And rationally you are actually thieving against me, and the rest of us- everything costs more because Tesco make the consumer pay for wastage and theft. There is no moral justification for nicking things unless you are starving to death.

Deciding to spend your cash on pills isn't starving to death, now, is it?

No, I haven't been tempted. Dishonesty crimes stay on your record, and if you get nabbed for anything else the prosecution get them wanged straight in against you. It'd be quite hard for me to get a legal job with a dishonesty record. Shops that catch you will prosecute, and magistrates don't like shoplifters.

Shame you didn't get nabbed.
  • Options
    I've had to eat stolen food to survive before..I was heavily pregnant and living on £50 a week and because of various problems with housing, benefits and everything, the money was going into the bank and being eaten up by an unauthorised overdraft, and there was nothing anyone could do about it.

When it got to the point where I was 34 weeks pregnant and felt faint and sick from lack of food my ex decided it was time to go on a shoplifting mission. We hadn't eaten for 2 days. We used to live off sacks of value spuds, pasta and 9p beans but we didn't even have enough for that. Literally had 2p between us, we were stealing toilet roll from the pub opposite the squat and the ex was nicking fag ends out the ashtrays to make roll ups from. There was really nothing else for it, we had nowhere to go or anyone we could borrow from. It was nothing to do with lack of self esteem or morals, just sheer desperation!!

I know it was wrong but there was honestly nothing else that could have been done - we had nothing to sell, no family that I could turn to at that point and nobody we knew had money they could lend or spare food to give us a meal. The things he stole weren't luxury, a bag of rice, a bag of pasta, some dried milk and some porridge oats but it kept us afloat until the financial stuff ironed itself out.

I'd love to hear someone say that's not justified.