Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Shoplifting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Found myself skint tonight and was forced to nab some vittles from the supermarket. Expensive range Lasagne, a bottle of irn bru, some Popcorn and one of those Galaxy chocolate drinks.

Payed for my skins though.

I have strong self-justification on ideological grounds.

And I'd bet 1 out of 10 people here have shoplifted more than 2 items from shops since january 2005, and 9 out of 10 of you have been tempted :yes: .

Comments

• Options
    I used to always do it in shops. I'd only ever do it now if I was in an offie, slip a few tins down your top...no harm done there. :D
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I always used to do it. Just spirits, lager, chocolate and shit like that. I've never pinched clothes though.

I've seen to many people get tugged for shoplifting though. You don't want theiving on your record - dishonest crimes don't go down too well with future employers.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I've always thought it would be too obvious if I was to shoplift. I'm a shitbag though because once when I was little and my mum was (is?) an alcoholic and manic depressive and menopause etc (do you need more? :p) she got caught shoplifting when I was with her and the woman (loss prevention officer?) was an evil bastard.
  • Options
    I steal from walmart all the time.. noone cares because walmart is taking the USA over anyways
  • Options
    and the uk as well, they bought asda
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:
    I've always thought it would be too obvious if I was to shoplift. I'm a shitbag though because once when I was little and my mum was (is?) an alcoholic and manic depressive and menopause etc (do you need more? :p) she got caught shoplifting when I was with her and the woman (loss prevention officer?) was an evil bastard.

If the locations of the posters on here hidden, i'd have still known yours was glasgow.

We put the scousers to shame i'm afraid :cool:
  • Options
    Oi! Hope you aren't implying that my mother and I are stereotypes :grump:
  • Options
    I've never stolen anything. Caught loads of the bastards nicking razor blades when i worked in morrisons though.

I'd love to steal from Tescos though. I'd probably just throw anything i took away, but it'd be nice to think i was contributing in some little way to lowering the greedy bastards profits.
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:
    Oi! Hope you aren't implying that my mother and I are stereotypes :grump:

Keep calm man, relax yourself.
  • Options
    CyberSarcasm doesn't work well :( I wasn't offended, just quite embarassed. That was one of my mum's lowest days.
  • Options
    I've never stolen anything. Caught loads of the bastards nicking razor blades when i worked in morrisons though.

I'd love to steal from Tescos though. I'd probably just throw anything i took away, but it'd be nice to think i was contributing in some little way to lowering the greedy bastards profits.

That's my usual target. Security is lapse and as you say, they're bastards.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Found myself skint tonight and was forced to nab some vittles from the supermarket. Expensive range Lasagne, a bottle of irn bru, some Popcorn and one of those Galaxy chocolate drinks.

Payed for my skins though.

I have strong self-justification on ideological grounds.

And I'd bet 1 out of 10 people here have shoplifted more than 2 items from shops since january 2005, and 9 out of 10 of you have been tempted :yes: .

Skint and stealing food isn't so bad, but being able to manage your money and not stealing is far, far better!!!

Skint and hungry? Buy a loaf of value bread.

No excuse for stealing in this day and age. Yes, I was a nobhead when at college and nabbed chocolate bars and whatnot when with my friends.

I don't think anything like 10% of people on here are thieves. I'd say 2% of the scum in our society steal 90%+ of stuff, making it more like one person in thirty-three or so.
  • Options
    Skint and stealing food isn't so bad, but being able to manage your money and not stealing is far, far better!!!

Skint and hungry? Buy a loaf of value bread.

No excuse for stealing in this day and age. Yes, I was a nobhead when at college and nabbed chocolate bars and whatnot when with my friends.

I don't think anything like 10% of people on here are thieves. I'd say 2% of the scum in our society steal 90%+ of stuff, making it more like one person in thirty-three or so.

It's hard to argue to argue that big business has a social conscience, in fact it's hard to argue big business does anything at for all us. I don't think it's rational to criticise thievery against the figureheads of an immoral system.

Plus, stolden food tastes better.
  • Options
    No excuse for stealing in this day and age.
    how about kleptomania? :p
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    It's hard to argue to argue that big business has a social conscience, in fact it's hard to argue big business does anything at for all us. I don't think it's rational to criticise thievery against the figureheads of an immoral system.

Tesco are large and successful because they offer a wide range of food products at decent prices. I have issues with some of their ethics, but they almost certainly give a better financial deal to consumers than the smaller shops.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to criticise the thieving scum in our society. Yes, I disagree with what many corporations do, and the amount of money they make can be obscene - but that doesn't make it right to steal. You'd really struggle to find a situation where people genuinely couldn't afford to eat - I wonder if those on this thread who admit to shoplifting have any problem buying their cigarettes, mobile phone and Sky subscription?

Oh, and the best tasting food is the bargain stuff. Go to the supermarket at the right time and you'll get two packs of sandwiches, a milkshake, and a cake for 50p.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:

I sort of agree and sort of don't. I don't have anything against big business and free markets, but i wish there were just a few more restrictions. I don't know, just so tescos weren't allowed to sell EVERYTHING imaginable. Pet insurance, WTF? (and in relation to above, you only get your cheap food due to explotation of staff, the third world, and farmers) Or so my home town didn't have a grand total of 5 McDonalds. My friend runs an independant record shop, and he can undercut HMV and virgin on prices so much you wouldn't believe it. If only people are willing to look elsewhere...
  • Options
    Tesco are large and successful because they offer a wide range of food products at decent prices. I have issues with some of their ethics, but they almost certainly give a better financial deal to consumers than the smaller shops.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to criticise the thieving scum in our society. Yes, I disagree with what many corporations do, and the amount of money they make can be obscene - but that doesn't make it right to steal. You'd really struggle to find a situation where people genuinely couldn't afford to eat - I wonder if those on this thread who admit to shoplifting have any problem buying their cigarettes, mobile phone and Sky subscription?

Oh, and the best tasting food is the bargain stuff. Go to the supermarket at the right time and you'll get two packs of sandwiches, a milkshake, and a cake for 50p.

It's the system at whole which is the fault, not the pecularities of any Tesco in particular.

Why should anyone be presented with a moral problem by stealing from an organisation which thrives upon an inherently immoral system?
  • Options
    fair play to tesco etc for trying to do everything, i'd do the same, why wouldn't you want to make as much money as you could ?
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    fair play to tesco etc for trying to do everything, i'd do the same, why wouldn't you want to make as much money as you could ?

I would, just like 99.9% of other people, but the problem comes in when the system is purely based around unfettered greed. Our lives could be FAR better under a different organisation of society, a society where society purely works for its own collective benefit, where we have free time to develop ourselves as people and achieve peace of mind instead of living suicidally monotonous lives as worker-drones for some faceless company.

It's all fucking bullshit and I hate it :yes:
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    Because not everyones motive is money.
    It's not so much that Tesco even making alot of money is a problem, it's just that they make so much, they could quite understandably pass some of it on to the poort staff...or producers...or manufacturers.

One in every eight pounds in this country is spent there, do you not see how that can be a problem? I mean come on, you'll get people with the Tesco home phone, Car insurance, food, holiday, credit card etc etc etc and sure enough soon there's nothing else available...

A bit of variety. That's what's nice.
  • Options
    plus the reason tescos make so much money, is because they pass what would normally be a retaillers loss of revenue on a 2 for 1 deal, onto the supplier or manufacturer

bit of an unethical use of power i would say
  • Options
    http://archive.corporatewatch.org/magazine/issue3/cw3f7.html <- article from 1997
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/supermarkets/story/0,12784,1401365,00.html <- tesco lowest in ethics.
    http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2003/08/275490.html <- not content with stalking you with the clubcard!
    http://www.supermarket-sweep-up.com/ <- some guy with a tesco vendetta
    http://archive.corporatewatch.org/profiles/tesco/tesco1.htm <- just about all you need to know (if you're interested)

I also read a really good article in a punk zine called Beat Motel.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    plus the reason tescos make so much money, is because they pass what would normally be a retaillers loss of revenue on a 2 for 1 deal, onto the supplier or manufacturer

bit of an unethical use of power i would say

Yes, it is. I don't agree with how farmers and producers are squeezed, whilst the supermarket makes big money. However, it still does not justify stealing from the store.

If you disagree with Tesco, then shop somewhere else. Go give your money to the local butcher and veg store - they tend to have nicer produce in anyway :).
    Spliffie wrote:
    I would, just like 99.9% of other people, but the problem comes in when the system is purely based around unfettered greed. Our lives could be FAR better under a different organisation of society, a society where society purely works for its own collective benefit, where we have free time to develop ourselves as people and achieve peace of mind instead of living suicidally monotonous lives as worker-drones for some faceless company.

It's all fucking bullshit and I hate it :yes:

So do something about it rather than sit on here and moan about it, and thieve goods from their shelves. Seriously, you've still not demonstrated any reason to justify why you've taken goods off their shelves without paying for them.

I've always fancied the idea of buying a tent and living in a forest somewhere, living off the land. Does that give me the right to go and steal? Does it bollocks! If you disagree with what they do, then shop elsewhere. Simple. Problem solved.

You have no justification for stealing, from what I can see.
  • Options
    well i must admit, i probly spend around 1 in every 10 pounds i earn in tescos

cause im there pretty much every night after work (nightclub), and i often do a bit of a shop lke once every 4 days, cause i buy a lot of my own food you see
  • Options
    What a load of bollocks is being talked in here. Some crap about sociality justifying stealing. If "breaking the system" had anything to do with anything then you'd have no need to steal "expensive range lasagne", as value lasagne would achieve the same objective.

Fucking useless stealing scroats add nothing to society.
  • Options
    I dont agree with stealing full stop. If you had enough money for skins then you could have bought some value bread. If you'd wasted your money on other things like drugs and booze then its your own stupid fault and you deserve to go hungry. Dont spend your money of things you dont need if you know you have a tight budget.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Zella wrote:
    I dont agree with stealing full stop. If you had enough money for skins then you could have bought some value bread. If you'd wasted your money on other things like drugs and booze then its your own stupid fault and you deserve to go hungry. Dont spend your money of things you dont need if you know you have a tight budget.

:yes:

Well, exactly. There isn't an excuse.
  • Options
    I ain't knicked anything since I was about 8. I don't care about stealing just as long as it aint off me.
  • Options

I sooo do this all the time. You can get the luxury stuff real cheap if you wait till ten mins before the shop closes, cheaper than regular value stuff too! And meat, I only buy meat when it's super cheap- it's so dear otherwise and I'm not that much of a meaty to wanna spend that much of my food budget on it. I get as much as there is usually and bung it in the freezer, there's a day or two safety on the best before date anyway so it's always fine. Tis only ok with certain fruit and veg though- the ones that you ripen at home are fine, most other stuff's not worth it unless you want to eat it straight away. And, DONT do it with sea food! blurgh
  • Options
    I've stolen from a shop once. It wasn't big. It wasn't clever. BUT.......

My "Shoplifters will be prosecuted" sign had pride and place in my bedroom for years :)