Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mother 'confident' of abortion confidentiality rule change

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Isolated extreme cases are not normal and there would be exceptions.

But these people in the minority are the ones who need the most protection, which is why there are guidelines in place.
    If a parent has a history of violence, etc another responsible adult instead.

How would that be legislated though? Another responsible adult could be a nurse at an abortion clinic for instance. Would there need to be evidence to prove the young woman's relationship with that adult? And who would decide whether that adult was responsible enough. Would the 21 year old boyfriend of a pregnant 16 year old count? Or would it have to be a family member? What if there were no relatives around?
    Cosmetic surgeons don’t perform surgery on someone under 16 without parental consent.

There's a world of difference between cosmetic surgery and a TOP. And a lot of cosmetic procedures, for instance breast work wouldn't even be viable as most reputable surgeons wouldn't operate until the young woman in question has finished growing.
    I know you don't agree and I respect your opinion but don't see any point in discussing it further.

*shrugs* that's up to you. I won't ever stop voicing my concerns because I see day to day the sort of people it would effect if these laws were taken away from the ones who it's meant to protect.

Anyone else who is interested, Proposition 73 was rejected in the US
  • Options
    I was just gonna mention Prop 73, beat me to it. Then again with the Texas vote it's all swings and roundabouts for liberty
  • Options
    Isolated extreme cases are not normal and there would be exceptions.

...and these are the very people which this provision is there to protect.

Again, I have to say this although it seems to fall of deaf ears, there is nothing in this provision which stops a child from contacting their parents.

Indeed such discussion is part of the consultation with any doctor, but if the patient decides to exercise their right to confidentiality then the doctor must uphold that.

Confidentiality is the cornerstone of medical treatment, it is the protection to all patients to ensure that their personal and private medical history is not discussed in an open evvrionment.
    If a parent has a history of violence, etc another responsible adult instead.

Why a history? Why not just a threat?

Interesting case a few days ago where the boyfirend of a girl was murdered by her brothers because of theior relationship, because it brought "shame" on her family. Neither brother had prior history of violence...
    I think parents should be able to know...

Interestingly, the patients don't have the "right to know" anything about any their child's medical consultations when Gillick is applied. Many doctors are now saying that if this law changes then they will refuse to see anyone under 16 for anything if a parent is not with them...
    I respect your opinion

Sadly I cannot say the same, while I respect the reasoning you apply - I am a parent after all - I cannot respect an opinion which puts children in danger like this one does.
  • Options
    I don’t think it’s the state’s place to intervene over a matter which for under 16’s should remain primarily between the child and their parents.

Is the parents who will have to give birth to the child?

No? Then why should the parents have the right to determine, because for all the fudging of meaning, a "right to know" is really a demand for a "right to decide".

Do you seriously believe that knowledge exists in a vacuum- that parents with the "right to know" won't try and enforce extreme views?

Do you seriously believe that "social workers" are a panacea to everything? Social workers can only help if they know what's going on, and if the child is locked in a room, then how can they know? And even then, social workers are limited- they make mistakes, such as Climbie, and their sanctions are restricted anyway.

Do you think it is worth abandoning Gillick to put kids into care? Do you think that will help children?

Besides which, Gillick doesn't mean that children cannot tell their parents. Most children would. But if the child doesn't want to tell their parents, then you have to ask why. It's easy to say "oh, it's shame", but it is often for other reasons. They don't have to even be reasons of violence- some mothers cannot be trusted not to go and tell the whole fucking world about it, for instance.
  • Options
    i had one a year ago and still haven't told my mum. i couldn't bear to disapoint her in such a huge way, as i think her own experiences would make her judge me harshly and would change her views towards me and our whole relationship, i can't even begin to think about how my dad would be.

i'm alot older, but im still glad that had i been younger i wouldn't have been forced to tell my mum or dad. Honesty isn't always the best policy.