Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mother 'confident' of abortion confidentiality rule change

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    still i dont think anyone here would want their teenage girl getting pregnant, and having an abortion without their knowledge?
    my mum told me if i got pregnant any time before i was 20 let alone 16 then she wouldn't be happy with me.
    the sad thing is, alot of teens out there arent ready to face the consequences

What applies to you doesn't apply to other people. It's up to the parents to provide an environment where their children can feel confident enough to approach them about things, not the other way round by the children having to 'notify' them.
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    What applies to you doesn't apply to other people. It's up to the parents to provide an environment where their children can feel confident enough to approach them about things, not the other way round by the children having to 'notify' them.
    im just saying, it seems a very one sided argument this thread
    i just asked would anyone want their teenager getting pregnant and having an abortion without their knowledge?
  • Options
    it seems a very one sided argument this thread

That's hardly the fault of the people who are agreeing with each other. If someone, who feels that it's not abhorrent that a child must notify their paretns, regardless of the situation and circumstances, against their right to confidentiality, then they can come and argue their point, by all means.
    i just asked would anyone want their teenager getting pregnant and having an abortion without their knowledge?

I'd rather my pregnant teen did that if that was what they wanted. I wouldn't want them feel that they were forced to tell me. I'd rather they had a right to confidentiality and access to safe, legal abortion rather than being driven under the surface.

I once had a petrified 17 year old ringing me up at work, asking if I knew ways she could abort i.e. herbs etc she could take because she was too frightened to tell her parents, as they were pro-life and wouldn't allow her to abort (how they'd do that, I dread to think).
  • Options
    i'm glad people here would support their kids
    i know mine wouldn't
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i'm glad people here would support their kids
    i know mine wouldn't
    They probably would actually. Most parents are reasonable when the shit hits the fan, despite go_away's horror stories (which represent the minority).

Either way, children shouldn't be obliged to tell their parents anything like this, nor should health professionals taking care of them.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    They probably would actually. Most parents are reasonable when the shit hits the fan, despite go_away's horror stories (which represent the minority).

Either way, children shouldn't be obliged to tell their parents anything like this, nor should health professionals taking care of them.
    my dad has actually told me he'd disown me if i ever got into drugs
    so im guessing it'll be similar for getting pregnant young too
  • Options
    No parents want their kids getting "into drugs" or getting pregnant too young. What I said was that when the shit hits the fan - when reality bites - they actually turn out to be decent parents.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    No parents want their kids getting "into drugs" or getting pregnant too young. What I said was that when the shit hits the fan - when reality bites - they actually turn out to be decent parents.
    my dad means what he says though
    he told me if any boyfriend/partner of mine hit me, he would literally put him in his place (his step dad used to beat him and my grandma)
    and he means that, even mum said so
    and he means it when he says we'd be on our own if we got into drugs
    i dunno about pregnancy, i know if by any unfortunate chance i got pregnant too young, i'd have an abortion
  • Options
    but if your dad is the ogre you are portraying, that is exactly why patient confidentiality is so important.

Young Moslem girls can, and often do, get murdered for having a boyfriend of the wrong colour or faith. What would happen to them if their pregnancy was to become public knowledge?

I appreciate the argument that parents want to know, and I do have sympathy with it. But the reasons why they want to know are exactly the reasons why they shouldn't know- it isn't their body, it isn't their choice, and some parents cannot be trusted with the knowledge.

Those parents who can be trusted with the knowledge usually get told by their children. Those who can't, don't. The choice should rest with the child. They should be encouraged to tell those close to them, but that doesn't necessarily mean parents, and children should not be legally usurped.

Lets go back to the Moslem girl fearful of an "honour killing"- however accurate or otherwise that fear may be. If her abortion is confidential then she can do it safely. If that abortion is not confidential then she will find another way- she will go to a doctor who will be confidential, and there is no guarantee of safety or competence.

The reason why the abortion law was changed in 1968 was because of women dying in backstreet rooms after Mr Nobody had given them an abortion with a coat-hanger. The same reasons then apply today.

Ballerina, I understand your view, but you have to ask one question: is the parental "right" to know worth the lives of young girls?
  • Options
    no i ai aint bothered reading the thread but ...i hv ben following th story/

if my under agedaughtr had to have an abortin without me knowing it woulkd say in bug letters ...rolly you faled as a parent nig style.
  • Options

if my under agedaughtr had to have an abortin without me knowing it woulkd say in bug letters ...rolly you faled as a parent nig style.

I just hope it would spell a bit better;)

But that's exactly the point. Parents who can be trusted will be trusted; those who can't, won't.

This woman has just decided that she cannot be trusted, and so she never will be.
  • Options

lmao :heart:
  • Options
    the point is that if these girls are desperate enough, then they will get an abortion without their parents knowing with or without the law. so what we are really deciding is whether we want them to be able to have that done safely by medical professionals, or themselves/in a backstreet place somewhere, risking their lives because the law wouldnt protect them
  • Options
    I don't think many girls would go to the extent of hurting themselves in order to have an abortion outside of professioanl help

A lot would, because a lot did in the 1950s and 1960s.

Or they carried the baby to term, went to a "young mothers home", and abandoned the baby there.

For all the people who moan about the dangers of abortion, nobody seems to mention the dangers of pregnancy and childbirth.
  • Options
    In the 1950's, 60's was different to now.

Why?

If your parents will chuck you out- or worse, kill you for bringing "shame" on their family- for being pregnant, you can't carry the baby to term. You can't have an abortion legally, because your parents will find out. What will you do?

A lot of girls won't have backing from their families. To think otherwise is naive.

The situation is no different now than it was 50 years ago.
  • Options
    If this law stops one back street abortion it should stay in place.
  • Options
    It's it great how for so long schools, councils, the papers etc all 'blame the parents', and with things the way they are now, my daughter can have an abortion without my knowing.

You either leave it to the parents or you don't. You can't have it both ways.
  • Options
    Since when do parents own their children?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Since when do parents own their children?

I've not said we own them - but we ARE legally responsible for them. It's my job to decide what I think is best for my daughter. I might get it wrong sometimes - but she's still my daughter and my responsibility.
  • Options
    It's not your body, it's hers. Therefore it is her choice, not yours.

Simple as.
  • Options
    I don't think your catching the drift of what im saying, think back do you really think there was as many agencies and help back in the 50's or whatever than there is now

I understood fully what you said, I think you are very naive if you think that some agency will make things magically better. Things are better, but that's mostly because women can have anonymous abortions.

Remove the right to anonymous abortions and things will quickly regress.

Take my example. She can't carry to term or she'll be found out, she can't terminate or she'll be found out. How will social services help?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It's not your body, it's hers. Therefore it is her choice, not yours.

Simple as.

If my daughter is going to go through a major medical operation then it is my right to know about it. Seems like it's all too easy to get the parents involved when the kids get in trouble (courts thinking of fining parents for their kids' troubles) but when it suits society, responsibility is swiftly taken from us.

My daughter, my responsibilty.

'Simple as'.
  • Options
    If my daughter is going to go through a major medical operation then it is my right to know about it. Seems like it's all too easy to get the parents involved when the kids get in trouble (courts thinking of fining parents for their kids' troubles) but when it suits society, responsibility is swiftly taken from us.

'Simple as'.
    I think you're getting confused between your responsibilities as a parent, and an individual's right to confidentiality when seeking healthcare.

You should read a little bit about the Gillick principle.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I think you're getting confused between your responsibilities as a parent, and an individual's right to confidentiality when seeking healthcare.

I'm sure I understand. I'm not saying I'd deny my daughter the operation - I'm saying I am NOT having her go through that sort of thing without my love and support. As a parent society puts a lot of responsibilty on my to look after her, and I welcome it. I'm a single father and there's no way I'm having people restricting my rights any more than they already are.

I like to think I'm my daughter's friend too. I want to be there for her if she ever has to go through this.
  • Options
    I'm sure I understand. I'm not saying I'd deny my daughter the operation - I'm saying I am NOT having her go through that sort of thing without my love and support. As a parent society puts a lot of responsibilty on my to look after her, and I welcome it. I'm a single father and there's no way I'm having people restricting my rights any more than they already are.

I like to think I'm my daughter's friend too. I want to be there for her if she ever has to go through this.
    If you're such a great dad, she might tell you anyway. But why would you force her? Do you expect to know everything about her private life?

ps A lot of the time it isn't an "operation", it's a set of tablets.

Have you read up on the Gillick case yet?
  • Options
    Yes well if that is the case she would tell you anyway wouldn't she?

The point is that many parents are not as nice and understanding as they ought to be and their kids wouldn't tell them if they were pregnant etc for very good reason and it is these that need protecting.

If you have a good relationship with your kid and what have you then the law doesn't really matter does it?
  • Options

'Simple as'.

And for parents who will kick their kids out of the home or worse, do we accept that is their responsibility and let them get on with it?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    If you have a good relationship with your kid and what have you then the law doesn't really matter does it?

I believe it does - things are fine for me and her at the moment (well, as good as they can be) and I don't want "do-gooders" (profound apologies for using that cheap expression, usually I hate it but it's all I can think of at the moment) imposing their beliefs on me which is likely to cause friction in my family.

She can come to me when she has problems and troubles - I don't want someone upsetting the applecart. Should she be faced with the horrible prospect of wanting a termination then I don't think she'd think rationally and may not be aware of how supportive I'd be. The law was fine as it was.
  • Options

Unfortunately countless parents are not as understanding as you. Countless parents would give the kid hell on earth, a beating or threats of a beating, and would force her to keep the baby against her will.

That is why it is paramount the law stays as it is. To protect the tens of thousands of girls who would find themselves in such situation.