Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Delaying having a baby 'defies nature'

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Its not that debateable. My mum didn't need to work during the 70's and 80's bringing me and my sister up. My dad lost his job in the early 90's and she had to go back to work (although me and my sister had left home by then). My dad lost his job a couple of times during the recession of the early 90's. The economy appears to be stronger now, but the work situation has changed. No one expects a job for life anymore, more and more people are employed on short term contracts, unions have less power, the cost of living has gone up. Me and my partner definitely can't afford for one of us to stay at home when we have kids and we're both in professional careers (albeit low paid ones).
  • Options
    In what way?

What changes are you talking about then...

See above.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Its not that debateable. My mum didn't need to work during the 70's and 80's bringing me and my sister up. My dad lost his job in the early 90's and she had to go back to work (although me and my sister had left home by then). My dad lost his job a couple of times during the recession of the early 90's. The economy appears to be stronger now, but the work situation has changed. No one expects a job for life anymore, more and more people are employed on short term contracts, unions have less power, the cost of living has gone up. Me and my partner definitely can't afford for one of us to stay at home when we have kids and we're both in professional careers (albeit low paid ones).

So for a short period of historical time in the 70s and 80s some in the middle classes could afford not to work, whereas some of them have to work now? Not an extremelly compelling argument. or at least not compelling enough to say its not debatable
  • Options
    The economy appears to be stronger now, but the work situation has changed. No one expects a job for life anymore, more and more people are employed on short term contracts, unions have less power, the cost of living has gone up. Me and my partner definitely can't afford for one of us to stay at home when we have kids and we're both in professional careers (albeit low paid ones).

That's because as women entered the workplace in earnest, the effective pool of labour almost doubled, with the inevitable consequences of lower wages, less union power etc etc.

Why offer secure contracts when 80% of your workforce is instantly replacable?

Why offer decent wages and better conditions when there are people lining up to take the job as it is?

What happens to relative earning power between the highly educated and the uneducated/ the skilled and unskilled and the experienced/inexperienced when you suddenly have a great deal more unskilled/ uneducated/ inexperienced workers?
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    So for a short period of historical time in the 70s and 80s some in the middle classes could afford not to work, whereas some of them have to work now? Not an extremelly compelling argument. or at least not compelling enough to say its not debatable

Not just the 70's and 80's, but the 50's and 60's too. Not just middle class either...its not like we were particularly middle class. What is undeniable is that Thatcher wrought massive changes in our society and that peoples jobs are a lot more precarious than ever. I notice that you also conveniently only addressed half of my post.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:

Especially as my wife hasn't worked for just over 12 years now... when my son was born I was unemployed...
  • Options
    To be fair you also missed the first part of my post about lack of children nowdays leaving school at fourteen.

Now I would agree Thatcher wrought massive changes in our society (or at least massive chanegs happened). One of those changes was that a new role models emerged throughout the Western world for women - that of the working and succesful Mother (and given Mrs Thatcher, at least on the surface, appeared to be a succesful working mother I think her position as a role model was as important as any economic changes). The idea that women had to stay at home to look after the children became seen as outdated.

Now some people do need to work, to stop their house being repossessed or to because their in extreme poverty. however I wouldn't say their the majority. Many women want to return to work because a) they want to try and balance a career with a family b) the extra money is useful, but not essential (especially given that many then have to use a fair chunk of that money for carers etc)
  • Options
    You don't seem to be very in touch with reality. How do you propose that a family brings up kids in London with one partner working and only bringing in the minimum wage?

The issue of women going back to work etc was influenced by 60's and 70's women's movements, but it was also influenced by economic necessity. This is a fact, read some recent social history.
  • Options
    What % of the UK population lives in London? How representative do you think it is?

How much of the cost of living is the increased disposable incomes for the majority?

How much has the drive for more "material" goods affected that?

The question is, how much of the problem is the system of "capitalism" and how much is actually individual "greed"?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Economic and social changes over the past 20 years or so mean that most families have to have both parents working now to make ends meet.

What changes do you refer to?

People are richer now than 20 years ago so why would they need more money, unless the cost of parenting had risen more than real incomes..........

Property is of course a major issue, but one that is in no way unique to parents.......
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You don't seem to be very in touch with reality. How do you propose that a family brings up kids in London with one partner working and only bringing in the minimum wage?

The issue of women going back to work etc was influenced by 60's and 70's women's movements, but it was also influenced by economic necessity. This is a fact, read some recent social history.

Well it has always been true that people earning very little will have difficulty finding the money to support a family.

Yes jobs are more precarious but the fact is that on average people earn more money now than ythey have ever done before.

Assuming that you define 'need' as an absolute concept then this means it should be easier for people to support a family now with only one income, on average.......

Though as I say the question of property prices makes this assertion a bit murky.........
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    , read some recent social history.

:lol:

The old ones are the best ones...............
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Very much in touch with reality. I admit its a difficulty, but people do it all the time.

And I've never said it wasn't a n economic necessity for some - however not for all ( or even the majority)
  • Options
    What % of the UK population lives in London? How representative do you think it is?

I dunno off hand, but the cost of living has gone up more than peoples wages and their is less job security now.
    How much of the cost of living is the increased disposable incomes for the majority?

and how much is rent, council tax, bills, education, prescriptions, dental costs etc?
    How much has the drive for more "material" goods affected that?

The question is, how much of the problem is the system of "capitalism" and how much is actually individual "greed"?

The two are inseparable.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    What changes do you refer to?

Are you reading the thread?
    Toadborg wrote:
    People are richer now than 20 years ago so why would they need more money, unless the cost of parenting had risen more than real incomes..........

Richer in what way? Who is richer? No one I know, thats for sure.
    Toadborg wrote:
    Property is of course a major issue, but one that is in no way unique to parents.......

Eh?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    :lol:

The old ones are the best ones...............

I recommend it - you seem quite badly read.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Very much in touch with reality.

Ha!
    NQA wrote:
    I admit its a difficulty, but people do it all the time.

Yes they do. People (mostly) survive. However, its getting more difficult all the time.
    NQA wrote:
    And I've never said it wasn't a n economic necessity for some - however not for all ( or even the majority)

Of course it isn't for all, how absurd. It is for a sizeable minority though...if you don't think so then you're blind.
  • Options
    Are you sure that we're now worse of than we were in the 60s and 70s? I'm certainly of an age to remember the 70s and the fact we were wealthy if we had one second hand car (never mind two first hand ones), foreign holidays were a rarity, fewer people owned their own homes (and there was next to no assistance for those who aspired to do so). I've got a personal computer with broadband at home and I'm not particually wealthy, my parents didn't have when they were my age.

And whilst I'm sure that life is tough for people at the bottom of the pole it was pretty tough for those at the bottom of the pole thirty years ago as well. I just struggle to reconcile your golden age with the reality.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I recommend it - you seem quite badly read.

And you seem to have been in a coma if you cannot see that people are better off now than they were 20 years ago........
  • Options
    From the Penn World tables (a respected source of internationally comparable economic data)

United Kingdom 1980 £14,340
    United Kingdom 2000 £22,188

The numbers being average real GDP per capita in the repective years for the UK...........
  • Options
    Look - some things are better granted. However some things are harder. As I already said, people no longer have jobs for life, there is a lot more uncertaintly in employment, more and more jobs are short term contracts, rent is proportionatly more compared to wages etc. Just because we can afford shiny trinkets like cheap DVD players and satellite TV does not mean we are better off.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    From the Penn World tables (a respected source of internationally comparable economic data)

United Kingdom 1980 £14,340
    United Kingdom 2000 £22,188

The numbers being average real GDP per capita in the repective years for the UK...........

Mean? Media? It makes a big difference as to what it means...

P.S.

You cannot measure everything in terms of money.
  • Options
    Mean of course.........
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

You cannot measure everything in terms of money.

Nice get out..........

True but the issue at hand is the ability to raise a child.

And the fact is that on average people have more money thus meaning it is LESS necessary for both parents to work, not more, as you claimed..........

Of course this is a crude average and may hide a lot of other pertinent factors but I can't think of any reason off the top of my head why things would be different for parents of young children compared to the rest of the population........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Mean of course.........

Not a very good indicator then as it will be skewed by the massive incomes of people in the city etc.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Nice get out..........

True but the issue at hand is the ability to raise a child.

And the fact is that on average people have more money thus meaning it is LESS necessary for both parents to work, not more, as you claimed..........

Of course this is a crude average and may hide a lot of other pertinent factors but I can't think of any reason off the top of my head why things would be different for parents of young children compared to the rest of the population........

I think you'll find that the actual reality of people's lives is very very different.
  • Options
    Yes but that was true in 1980 as much as in 2000 thus the skew isn't that relevant

Income is more unevenly distributed now but not nearly enough to offset an increase of £8,000 in average real incomes...........
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I think you'll find that the actual reality of people's lives is very very different.

Please could you enlighten me as to why you seem to be so much more aware of the facts of peoples lives than I am?

It is a fact that on average people have more money thus how does it follow that it is more necessary for two parents to be working based on the need to provide the necessities, which by definition should be no different?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Look - some things are better granted. However some things are harder. As I already said, people no longer have jobs for life, there is a lot more uncertaintly in employment, more and more jobs are short term contracts, rent is proportionatly more compared to wages etc. Just because we can afford shiny trinkets like cheap DVD players and satellite TV does not mean we are better off.

What does it mean then? I and millions of others like cheap DVDs - or at least I like the fact I can afford them. I like to be able to afford cheap foreign travel (even if we decide not to go abroad until my daughters are a bit older) and whilst house prices may have risen, so has the amount of space available per person in the household (ie overcrowding has fallen).

And there certainly isn't more uncertainty in unemployment than there was in the 30s and whilst more jobs are short-term contracts, the majority aren't and many people like short term contracts because they often pay more and allow you more flexibility.

Sorry you're still not convincing me that we're worse off than we were in the 70s.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Yes but that was true in 1980 as much as in 2000 thus the skew isn't that relevant

Well, yes it is. After the city was deregulated in the late 80's, there is vastly more money being made by a small amount of people. Thatcher's neo-liberalist project has massively skewed these figures - the gap between the rich and poor is getting wider.
    Toadborg wrote:
    Income is more unevenly distributed now but not nearly enough to offset an increase of £8,000 in average real incomes...........

I rather think it is. In London there are hundreds sleeping on the streets and thousands in temporary accomodation, yet people drive past in cars worth more than a place to live. That ain't right and its getting worse. I work at the sharp end of it and I tell you, its getting worse, much worse.