Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Delaying having a baby 'defies nature'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Story.

Any thoughts?

Women simply can't win. If they have children at any age it seems to upset someone.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    Women simply can't win. If they have children at any age it seems to upset someone.

Yep. If they're 17, they're irresponsible, if they wait until they're 38, they're selfish. My grandmother was 47 when she had my dad! :eek:
    "The best time to have a baby is up to 35. It always was, and always will be.

Bully for them if they can find the love of their life, be settled down etc by then. I'd rather wait for the right partner to breed with than the wrong one, and when the time is right for me.

It's upsetting news for some people, but nothing new.
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    Yep. If they're 17, they're irresponsible, if they wait until they're 38, they're selfish. My grandmother was 47 when she had my dad! :eek:

Yeah, you've said what I couldn't articulate. I'm too tired.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Seems you have to have it between 20 and 30 now then. But to be honest, I can see how some may see it as being sexist, but if the research shows the facts folks... lets face it, in days gone folks died at 40, so they body had no reason to be fertile beyond this age. But it does kindof limit your life. Meh. I dunno. Facts are facts. If I were female I'd want to have a kid at about 25-ish anyway. Then at least I have some life to live out afterwards and i've not wasted a load of it bringing up my Children. Harsh, but true.
  • Options
    You're all talking as if the article is having a go at women...the point is pregnancies statistically are more prone to miscarriage etc at an older age - that's all.
  • Options
    If I were female I'd want to have a kid at about 25-ish anyway. Then at least I have some life to live out afterwards and i've not wasted a load of it bringing up my Children. Harsh, but true.

The thing is, I wouldn't mind being a youngish mum at all. But I have a degree to finish, the training at least for a year afterwards before I'm fully qualified, then a loan to pay off while trying to establish myself in getting a house etc. Not to mention trying to find the man I'd want to spend the rest of my life with. So realistically, it probably won't happen in my twenties, as much as I'd like it too.
  • Options
    anything between 20 and 33is fine given a few years range on circumstances

btw a woman over 40 has a FAR larger chance of having a genetically deformed children like downes syndrome compared to an under 35
  • Options
    I think it is- biologically speaking- very fair to say that older mothers are not a good idea. The statistics speak for themselves.

I love the way that if you have a baby aged 21 or 22 you're "wasting the resources spent on you", but if you wait until 36 you're "defying nature". Good to see that female equality is alive and well.
  • Options
    If women could walk on water, some expert would promptly say it's because they can't swim.
  • Options
    If those figures are right then i think women should know but it's thier choice at the end of the day but it could mean takign a risk.
    But like people have said not everyone finds the right person early on.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    If those figures are right then i think women should know but it's thier choice at the end of the day but it could mean takign a risk.
    But like people have said not everyone finds the right person early on.

As long as they don't start demanding free IVF because of it.

This isn't just about women anyway.

Most people conceive with people of a similar age, it is just as much a problem for the man if their partner miscarriages, can't conceive, has ill babies etc

So who is being sexist exactly?
  • Options
    You are right both men & women need to think about it.
  • Options
    Could the age of the father also affect the baby? I mean, with me, my mum was 28 and my dad was 24.. but with my little half-brother my mum was 36 and my step-dad was 44 (though he already has a 23 yr old son). And theres Des O'Conner etc etc having kiddies..

Or is it just dangers relating to pregnancy, not genetics?
  • Options
    you can't win, they moan about teen mums, and they moan if you have a baby over 35....women get pressured to breastfeed etc already, now they're even being pressured as to when in their life they should have one....
    what about that 63 year old woman who got IVF and had a baby?
  • Options
    I think people should have their babies when theyre happy to have them.

off topic I love that picture they use of the babies legs. They use that in nearly every article about babies ive noticed
    _40805858_anony_baby203.jpg
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    Could the age of the father also affect the baby? I mean, with me, my mum was 28 and my dad was 24.. but with my little half-brother my mum was 36 and my step-dad was 44 (though he already has a 23 yr old son). And theres Des O'Conner etc etc having kiddies..

Or is it just dangers relating to pregnancy, not genetics?

It says somewhere that men having babies older also has its risks, more risk of disability etc being the main thing I think.

Also sperm count falls making conception more difficult etc...........
  • Options
    I think some people are missing the point......

These doctors aren't just having a go (and again I will point out that this is not just about women)

They are pointing out that for their own good women should consider having kids in the before they are 35 else they may find that they can never have them and that will cause a lot of emotional problems as well as stretch resources etc as this trend fuels the massive surge in demand for IVF.............
  • Options
    It is misogynistic bollocks and scare mongering, as pretty much every headline health story seems to be.
    although I am in a stable relationship with someone I plan to have children with I don't really want to consider it until I'm at least in my thirties, the fact is, very often it takes longer for women to get their careers off the ground, not helped by the very fact that employers think that by employing or promoting a woman of ' a certain age ' all she wants to do is have babies and then they'll have to pay a load of maternity leave.

It is also putting pressure on women who maybe haven't found 'that special someone' by their mid-thirties to feel like some kind of freak or have babies in an unsuitable relationship because they feel it is their 'last chance.'

:banghead:

*puts feminist ideals back into her pocket.*
  • Options
    leese wrote:
    It is misogynistic bollocks and scare mongering

It is actually factually correct and I find it interesting that there has been an attempt here to turn this into a "feminism" issue. It isn't.

Simply put, if you chose to delay having a child until you are in your mid thirties then you may find yourself disappointed because the risks of not conceiving or carrying to full term are higher. That's all that is being said here.

There is not suggestion that you should have children for the hell of it earlier, just that you should consider the implications of putting your career first.

I mean, heaven forbid that you have enough information for make an informed decision...

I hate to be the one to tell you this girls, but nature is not an equal opportunities employer.
  • Options
    It is actually factually correct and I find it interesting that there has been an attempt here to turn this into a "feminism" issue. It isn't.

That is as may be, but it really is nothing new. The 'dangers' of having a child later in life have been known for years, before it was mainly just said that you had an increased chance of having chromosomal problems such as those that cause Downs Syndrome. What is really worrying me is the amount of press coverage this has suddenly got, like its a revelation. The fact still is that the majority of mothers of this age, even if they have complicated births, go on to regain their health and the babies grow into healthy children.

As such, I feel it is more important for mothers to have their children at 'the right time' in their own lives ie when they are emotionally and financially ready to give as much to motherhood as they possibly can. The underlying message in this news story seems to have been very critical of women exercisisng personal choice like they are bad mothers before they start.
  • Options
    Having a baby at 15 and having a baby at 42 both present different types of problems (or potential problems in older women) for the baby, they're not commenting on the ability of the mother to mother the child. They're just saying there's an ideal age to have babies, that's all.
  • Options
    Yes, but what I'm saying is that the underlying social message behind this 'not-so new' news is extremely negative. Women have all the facts and the sudden media questioning of their intentions is unhelpful and scaremongering. The vast difference between a scientific health 'ideal' and a social one is prevalent in many areas of life, not just childbirth.
  • Options
    leese wrote:
    Yes, but what I'm saying is that the underlying social message behind this 'not-so new' news is extremely negative. Women have all the facts and the sudden media questioning of their intentions is unhelpful and scaremongering. The vast difference between a scientific health 'ideal' and a social one is prevalent in many areas of life, not just childbirth.

What is the underlying social message again? sorry too lazy to read your posts :blush:
  • Options
    Even though its not old news lots don't know it & i think they should.As if for some reason a woman can't have a child after 35, she will probably be really upset therefore should know the risks of leaving it that late.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Even though its not old news lots don't know it & i think they should.As if for some reason a woman can't have a child after 35, she will probably be really upset therefore should know the risks of leaving it that late.
    true, especially if they then want IVF.
  • Options
    I just hope that it doesn't scare a lot of women into making rash decisions that's all. The risk might be greater but pregnancy and childbirth are such complicated things that there are no guarrantees at any age. And socially women have always been aware that having children later in life means that they will be actiively parenting (ie supporting and physically bringing up their child) for much longer into their 'mid-lives' than a younger person would.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Having a baby at 15 and having a baby at 42 both present different types of problems (or potential problems in older women) for the baby, they're not commenting on the ability of the mother to mother the child. They're just saying there's an ideal age to have babies, that's all.

yes, i agree :thumb:
  • Options
    personally, i'm in no hurry to have kids. i'd much rather be married, in a good job and have a nice environment in which to bring a child up in. having said that, you can't have it all can you. i guess being married isn't that important, but i know that right now, my career is more important for me and by having a good career, i can get a nice house etc. but circumstances might change..i.e. i might meet someone, get married and think i want kids in the space of 2 years. i'm only 20 now, my mum had me when she was 30 and i think that's around the age i'd have to have my first. no older though, ideally.
  • Options
    leese wrote:
    Yes, but what I'm saying is that the underlying social message behind this 'not-so new' news is extremely negative.

What underlying social message? There isn't one. Except the one which you are putting on it, I suspect that your feminist ideal are getting in your way here, that you aren't able to see the message which is coming out.

There is just a medical message here. Leave children until after you are thirty five and you might not be able to have them.

Not morally. Physically.
    The fact still is that the majority of mothers of this age, even if they have complicated births, go on to regain their health and the babies grow into healthy children.

Interesting that you use the expression mothers there, because that only happens if there is a successful conception and pregnancy. What this release highlights is that the potential of that happeneing reduce. Not disappear, reduce.

Of course, after birth the majority have "normal" lives. That isn't the point being raised.
    As such, I feel it is more important for mothers to have their children at 'the right time' in their own lives ie when they are emotionally and financially ready to give as much to motherhood as they possibly can. The underlying message in this news story seems to have been very critical of women exercisisng personal choice like they are bad mothers before they start.

I think that you are being a little touchy here.

There is no moral spin here, no suggestion that women who leave it late are in anyway unfit parents. In fact I'd love you to show me a passage which might give you that impression.

I agree that women should be emotionally prepared, that it should be the "right time" for both parents. However, in assessing that "prepared-ness" they should also be aware that time is not on their side and there does come a point when you have to ask yourself exactly what you mean by "prepared" and is it something important enough for you to want to risk not being able to have a child for.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    you can't win, they moan about teen mums, and they moan if you have a baby over 35....women get pressured to breastfeed etc already, now they're even being pressured as to when in their life they should have one....
    what about that 63 year old woman who got IVF and had a baby?

Who's moaning? :confused: