Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

A clean break from family

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    byny wrote:
    Perhaps your family are just very worried about you - maybe you need to open up a bit more about your experiences and feelings. Is it likely you will try to kill yourself again, can you be honest with them about the help you need?
    See, that's the problem. People always talk about how I need to "open up" to my family. Except one problem. We're not that kind of family. We don't discuss how we feel with one another, it simply doesn't happen. Am I likely to try again? I can't say no to that in all certainty, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    There's something I always say. You can pick your friends but you cant pick your family. And its true you love your family and they love you but they're not neccessarily the people you'll turn to about stuff. Understandable. But it is a shocking great change moving out. As you know I've moved to Manchester for uni and there are moments when I notice that no I don't have my support network here. I can't just pop over and see so and so if I feel a bit pants. I'm in the situation in halls and courses where I've made lots of new friends, but if you up and move remember you have to make a really conscious effort to meet new people and make friends. Sometimes its just nice to go home to a house with a bit of noise.Also think about the distance.London is chuffing far from where you live. You don't realise it till you suddenly think oo it'd be nice to pop home for a day and see someone. And you can't. And if you're skint you can't because you have no money, and theres no one there giving you food and doing your washing and sorting out bills and stuff. its all you.
  • Options
    London is chuffing far from where you live. You don't realise it till you suddenly think oo it'd be nice to pop home for a day and see someone. And you can't. And if you're skint you can't because you have no money, and theres no one there giving you food and doing your washing and sorting out bills and stuff. its all you.
    But I don't have a support network anyway. If I feel down, I never turn to my family. The whole point of moving away is to be away from them, to see whether I can manage on my own. As for London being hundreds of miles away - that's precisely why I chose it!
  • Options
    I never said my support network was my family, its not. My parents are chuffing useless sometimes in that case. I'm just saying think it through, you cant imagine what a change it is, you find out when you're living it.
  • Options
    I never said my support network was my family, its not. My parents are chuffing useless sometimes in that case. I'm just saying think it through, you cant imagine what a change it is, you find out when you're living it.
    Why's everyone here effectively saying "no Danny, don't bother with the move. Stay where you are, carry on to be utterly miserable hating where you live"? Loads of you have moved, whether to student accommodation at university or into your own places. So why are you so against me doing the same?
  • Options
    Only move if what you are moving to is better than what you have now.

If you're going to move somewhere and not know anybody, and be skint because all your money goes on bank loans and rent, then don't bother. Only move if you have a purpose for moving, and you have decent employment or studying opportunities lined up.

Both me and the wife have moved a decent distance from the familial homes, but we had each other and we had something in Newcastle to move there for. And we knew people up here anyway.

Don't move if you're just going to end up in a bedsit by yourself with no money.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Why's everyone here effectively saying "no Danny, don't bother with the move. Stay where you are, carry on to be utterly miserable hating where you live"? Loads of you have moved, whether to student accommodation at university or into your own places. So why are you so against me doing the same?

We are just telling you what we think, you asked for opinions so you are getting them. It's not our fault if we don't agree with you.

From what youv'e said, you obviously want to go. So just do it, get out of Wales and start a new life somewhere else. Just remember that it could be the biggest mistake of your life, or it could be the best thing that has ever happened to you.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Only move if what you are moving to is better than what you have now. If you're going to move somewhere and not know anybody, and be skint because all your money goes on bank loans and rent, then don't bother. Only move if you have a purpose for moving, and you have decent employment or studying opportunities lined up. Don't move if you're just going to end up in a bedsit by yourself with no money.
    So, what do you suggest I do? Outlive my welcome even more by staying here? I hate this area, I want out of it. A complete change of environment. I don't know many people anyway. In the words of one of my friends, I "live a very solitary existence". What I'm moving to may not be better, but I can't see how much worse it could be.
  • Options
    I guess what I meant was that you say in your first post that your relatives have said they are all tip-toeing around you, scared that you might do it again! That's not a nice place for them to be and if they have opened up about this then maybe you do need to make the effort to at least explain to them that either

You aren't likely to do

Or

You might

But that there is no need for them to be pussy footing around. It sounds to me like they may feel slightly held to ransom, in which case maybe it is better all round for you to remove yourself from the family and deal with life on your own. Ultimately they will be worried and upset but how would that be different to how it is now.

Incidentally - were you offered counselling after your suicide attempt, maybe you should go for some - perhaps you should even recommend that your family come too, that way you could all learn to open up?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

It's not the moving part that people are 'against' more so the whole cutting off your family completley and forever kindof thing.

If money is going to be tight and you still want to move, there are cheaper locations to live than London if you've thought about that?
  • Options
    perhaps because you aren't addressing the problems? You obviously have issues with your family - how much of those issues are because of your behaviour not theirs?

if you are unhappy with yourself then it doesn't matter where you are, you will still feel the same
  • Options
    Don't jump down my throat for offering my opinion. Ya know what go, and I'll laugh and pity you when you come on here moaning about it. Or maybe you'll love it and then I'll congratulate you. It's no skin off my back.
  • Options
    I think moving out of the familial home does most people the world of good, it encourages them to grow up and mature.

But I don't think moving from the familial home into a grotty bedsit which you can't afford will do you any favours at all.

If you want to move then move, but I think you don't quite realise how much of a difference having your own place is. How much more expensive it all is, and how you simply cannot move into a place unless you have the guaranteed income to pay for it.

I don't think you are considering the practical aspects of it enough. You don't have employment or studying lined up, and unless you have employment or financed studying lined up you shouldn't move anywhere.
  • Options
    byny wrote:
    Incidentally - were you offered counselling after your suicide attempt, maybe you should go for some - perhaps you should even recommend that your family come too, that way you could all learn to open up?
    After that, I went to see my GP. I was initially given anti-depressants, which I'm still on now. I was also given some counselling after a few weeks wait. To start off, they were a good help. I felt, however, that the counselling as it went on was actually making me feel worse rather than better. So, I stopped them. Later, I was referred to the mental health services who also contacted an employment agency to help me into work. The employment agency have been fantastic, and they're still helping me out now. But the mental health services have been next to useless.

As I've already said, estrangement was a bad idea and I won't be doing it.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I don't think you are considering the practical aspects of it enough. You don't have employment or studying lined up, and unless you have employment or financed studying lined up you shouldn't move anywhere.
    I must correct this. Studying, I'm hoping to start university in September 2006. Employment, I'm looking, and I will not move until I've got some.
  • Options
    If you have financial guarantees and you have some people you know in the area you're looking at moving to, then I would say go for it. I don't think moving out of the family home harms many people, although it is a huge culture shock I think it helps people mature and stop moping.

I would be worried if you don't know anyone, because new cities can be very lonely.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I would be worried if you don't know anyone, because new cities can be very lonely.
    I don't know anyone. Nor do I know anyone in any other major cities around the UK. A friend of mine has asked me to come and live with her in the Midlands, it's an offer I politely declined.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I don't know anyone. Nor do I know anyone in any other major cities around the UK. A friend of mine has asked me to come and live with her in the Midlands, it's an offer I politely declined.

So you would rather be alone? I'm just trying to get where you're coming from thats all.
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    So you would rather be alone?
    I can't fully deny that, to be honest. This is sounding perverse even to me.
  • Options
    How would it effect you if your family basically cut off contact with you? No more birthday cards, xmas cards etc?

As far as moving away is concerned, why are you choosing the most expensive city to live in? The cost of transport alone is going to be difficult for you.
  • Options
    byny wrote:
    As far as moving away is concerned, why are you choosing the most expensive city to live in? The cost of transport alone is going to be difficult for you.
    Probably because I haven't been to many other cities in the UK. If worst comes to worst, I'll move to a different city, possibly even one in the north if things get really tricky.
  • Options
    well....

you know it is possible to stand on your own feet within the place you already live :)

My mum lives in Penarth in S wales and I used to live in Cardiff, now Newport. I rarely see her. Not because I don't want to, but because I have my own life and job and she has hers. Infact - since I moved to Newport 3 years ago I think she's only visited me twice!

Is it that your parents and family would keep coming round to check up on you, that makes you want to go so far away?
  • Options
    byny wrote:
    you know it is possible to stand on your own feet within the place you already live :)
    I'm not staying in North Wales. The job prospects here are virtually zero, for a start. Besides which, I don't like the area anyway, so standing on my own feet here isn't something I'm looking at.
    Is it that your parents and family would keep coming round to check up on you, that makes you want to go so far away?
    Probably.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I'm not staying in North Wales. The job prospects here are virtually zero, for a start. Besides which, I don't like the area anyway, so standing on my own feet here isn't something I'm looking at. Probably.

in which case, maybe you need to work hard to make them realise that they don't have to be checking up on you! If you feel ready to strike out on your own in a new City (Manchester is nice by the way) then you can do so while you are still thee.

I know how hard it is being somewhere you just want to get away from, but try not to get to miserable about it while you are waiting to move on.
  • Options
    byny wrote:

I know how hard it is being somewhere you just want to get away from, but try not to get to miserable about it while you are waiting to move on.

:yes: indeed.
  • Options
    byny wrote:
    in which case, maybe you need to work hard to make them realise that they don't have to be checking up on you! If you feel ready to strike out on your own in a new City (Manchester is nice by the way) then you can do so while you are still thee.
    Lord only knows I'm trying to show them that. It's one reason I accepted that job at Haven. Other reasons being to get away from that house and to make money. But nothing seems to work, they're still like fleas that just won't let me be.

Right now, for example, it's my day off work. So, I thought I'd spend a few hours online, have a nice quiet day. But no! My mum has been pestering me all bloody afternoon about a health problem I have. I'm not going to reveal what it is, I'll simply say it's no relation whatsoever to depression. She's been going "you really should see a doctor about this, I'm worried about you". Mind your own fucking business, woman! :mad:
  • Options
    Mothers worry. End of. think you are being a bit harsh personally.
  • Options
    Mothers worry. End of. think you are being a bit harsh personally.
    She's driving me completely up the wall. This is precisely why I want to move far away.
  • Options
    best way to solve the health problem - go see the doctor! she's right to worry but maybe not right to pester you so much!

Sounds like you are getting yourself together with the new job etc, so you are moving in the right direction. You just need to show your mum that you are. What harm would going to the doctor do?

If I were you 'd sort out an appointment and deal with the problem, that way she can't keep on at you anymore :)
  • Options
    Ok, I've not read the entire post because it's just toooooo long. But.....

My Grandad tried to commit suicide when I was 14, up until this point we were close, he was very depressed after his wife died and wanted to be with her, afterwards, everyone felt like they had to walk on eggshells, it's only natural to feel this way, as I've grown older, I've not remained as close, and I can't help but feel that he was very very selfish. What about all the people he would have left behind, and personally, I still feel slightly angry with him. I understand that depression is a very personal thing but it can blindside you, and make you very self absorbed.

Have you ever thought that maybe your family might need some counselling? They probably felt like they failed at being good parents/siblings etc., and it could be a contributary factor as to why they are over-compensating at the moment? And I know that you said the counselling made you feel worse, but you have to stick at it! It will get worse before it gets better. One of my closest friends has terminal cancer, she goes to counselling once a week, and it's really helped her, and I am thinking about going too because everytime I think of life without her to share the good times it breaks my heart. This is besides the point tho. I don't think you will find peace until your family start to listen to eachother a bit more.

As Nice but dim 23 says, parents worry about you, because they are your parents!!! You can't honestly tell me that if they didn't worry about you, you wouldn't feel slightly put out?

It sounds like you seriously need to start getting a wider perspective on things, let people help you, and remember that everything you do and everything you say has a ripple effect on other peoples lives.