Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Katrina.

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm surprised at you klintock. Firstly whilst some of those affected will be able to afford to get themselves out of this hole, there will be plenty which cannot. I'd have expected you to mention that.

I meant as a group. They are keen enough on being treated as an amorphous blob that they can foot the bill as one.
    The other point is, does the fact that these people live in a wealthy nation mean that those individuals who are poor don't deserve our help? Are they less human, in less need than someone living in Indonesia (for example)?

No of course not.
    Surely the fact that the individuals concerned have nothing now, no house, no job etc means that they are in no better a position than those affected by the tsunami. In fact when you consider the relative cost of living in each country, you could argue that the individuals affected are actually worse off...

I agree. The fact remains though that their immediate neighbours could bail them out many many times over due to their fabulous wealth. At the moment though, they are a bit leadfooted about doing anything. Once those neighbours start doing a bit and only then should anyone else join in.

It's one thing to help the helpless, it's another to let those with genuine responsibilities take the piss.
  • Options
    Since when has the "fuck 'em" approach been yours?

Thats not what I said is it?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Thats not what I said is it?

Not specifically.

You intimated that we should offer financial help to them, because their Govt should. The fact that their Govt wasn't helping didn't matter.

Sounds like a "Fuck 'em" to me...
  • Options
    Not specifically.

You intimated that we should offer financial help to them, because their Govt should. The fact that their Govt wasn't helping didn't matter.

Sounds like a "Fuck 'em" to me...

No, thats not what I meant at all, but never mind.
  • Options
    So what was meant? Did you mean, like klintock, that we shouldn't offer financial support until their victims countrymen did?
  • Options
    No. It was a rhetorical device to point out the flaws in capitalism generally and US society specifically. Of course these people deserve to be helped, especially if the US can't do it.
  • Options
    You mean won't ;)
  • Options
    You mean won't ;)

Yes, I do.