Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Katrina.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
it looks dreadful for the people of new orleans.
a million homeless refugees without food water fuel power.
armed gangs the break down of law and order.
it must be terrible having lost every single posession in life and for many, family members as well.

my heart goes out to this devastated city.

Comments

• Options
    agreed. natural disasters are so devastating
  • Options
    Oddly enough America weren't prepapred, nor can one of the richest nations afford to help the people some more and feed them.
  • Options
    shortages of gasoline are making a lot of americans very angry indeed it would seem.
    the downed pipelines are forcing prices up across the states ...is this america in chaos mat?
    shortages of electricity and food ...
  • Options
    what sickens me is the slow and inadequate response of the government, they are prepared to spend billions and go to war halfway across the globe to 'protect' their nation, but a natural disaster happens and hundreds of thousands americans are stranded, congress is currently debating an $11 million aid package, i'm sorry that's fucking pathetic.........if i was an american i would be sooooo pissed.........just shows the huge wealth gap that exists in america, bush doesn't give a shit about the little people, no doubt he will twist it to his advantage somehow, sick fuck that he is.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Heh... the US sure took their time helping people. In that Typhoon in China, the military were out helping nearly instantly.

America sure needs to pick up its act. They are YOUR people out there, at least help the poor sods! You can spend money on War, Foreign Aid, and Stupidly overpriced shoddy planes that don't work, but come to helping your citizens...
  • Options
    the severe fuel and energy shortages now facing the american people could cause huge problems.
    any further interuption to the energy supplies by way of earthquake terrorism or political manouvering by other nations to take advantage ...could seriously expose the very real worthlesness of the dollar.

but thats ok mat will say ...america has nukes!
    he does make me laugh.
  • Options
    but thats ok mat will say ...america has nukes!
    he does make me laugh.

And don't forget that the US army could defeat the rest of the world themselves.
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    what sickens me is the slow and inadequate response of the government, they are prepared to spend billions and go to war halfway across the globe to 'protect' their nation, but a natural disaster happens and hundreds of thousands americans are stranded, congress is currently debating an $11 million aid package, i'm sorry that's fucking pathetic.........if i was an american i would be sooooo pissed.........just shows the huge wealth gap that exists in america, bush doesn't give a shit about the little people, no doubt he will twist it to his advantage somehow, sick fuck that he is.

I wonder if the shots fired at military helicopters had anything to do with the moderate response. Idiot.
  • Options
    I wonder if the shots fired at military helicopters had anything to do with the moderate response. Idiot.

no i really don't think it had anything to do with the 'moderate' response........i think it's a convenient cover story that the media has jumped all over to excuse the piss poor response of the government........so one helicopter gets shot at, and so we'll just leave these thousands of people stranded?.........bollocks mate.........the truth is, they've known this hurricane's been coming for a while, they could have prepared a much more premeditated solution, they could have helped the poor people get out of the city...........but no instead they sit by, look shocked when the inevitable happens and blame a few trigger happy yanks for doing sweet FA.
  • Options
    So? If this was Iraq they'd have shot the shooter! Hell, I dont see why they dont, personally.
  • Options
    I have an internet friend from NO shes lost everything, its just awful.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I am watching some of the scenes on BBC News24 and it is horrible viewing. It looks like scenes from Africa or the Far East or other poor countries hit by natural disasters. Not one of the richest countries in the world. I don't understand why the American Government aren't doing more to help these people who have no food or water and the threat of disease.
  • Options
    your the friggin idiot!
    since when did the mightiest run scared of a fucking gunshot?

that was one isolated incident in one tiny corner of a huge disaster.

are you saying that because there are armed looters and gangs now running amok that the government can be excused from doing anything?

you realy are the plank here.
  • Options
    I don't understand why the American Government aren't doing more to help these people who have no food or water and the threat of disease.

because THEY DON'T CARE..........the majority of these people are a plague on capitalism and the economy, so is it really so bad if the hurricane wipes a few of them out......?
  • Options
    the gulf of mexico has now shut down ...due to a gunshot according to your mentality.
    the gulf of mexico is americas oil and petrol supply ...its lifeblood.
    the port of new orleans is the biggest grain port in the world ...shipping food out all over the planet and bringing in megga bucks for the U.S economy ...now shattered and broken and shut.
    there are oil rigs and platforms drifting out to sea ...no longer sucking out the black gold ...and a million people have no water food or shelter ...idiot.
  • Options
    That idiot comment really rattled you eh? It shows.
  • Options
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
  • Options

Do you ever say anything remotely intelligent?
  • Options
    I am watching some of the scenes on BBC News24 and it is horrible viewing. It looks like scenes from Africa or the Far East or other poor countries hit by natural disasters. Not one of the richest countries in the world. I don't understand why the American Government aren't doing more to help these people who have no food or water and the threat of disease.
    Oddly enough America weren't prepapred, nor can one of the richest nations afford to help the people some more and feed them.

We are able to afford help more than we have given, but it's difficult to fully execute plans and send out supplies when you have many different agencies and minimal communications.

Remember -- Every fucking thing was wiped out. Eighty-percent of ONE city is underwater and more than ONE city was hit by Katrina!

Thousands of people didn't evacuate their homes either because they weren't expecting the storm to change direction and come their way or because they weren't able to. So a priority for the first nights was to get those thousands out.

Authorities are trying to make sure that a city of nearly a half-million people is completely evacuated. Concentrating on combing though the hardest hit areas and working down.

Some other needs have taken a back burner and many really are priorities, but are difficult to help on, such as picking up the dead, feeding many of those already on dry land, providing security, decontaminating and transporting refugees out of state.

Many working on providing these things are Louisiana residents and are hungry and homeless themselves. I feel so much for them.

Agencies from all over the States are heading down South. But the same less than optimal few routes that people are using to get out of New Orleans to somewhere safe are largely the same routes that needs to be used to get things in.

Things are expected to get slightly better in this regard by tomorrow, though.

We're trying our best.

However, you are right. We aren't fully prepared to help everyone.

The US has never faced a catastrophe like this. Ever.

Many residents will be homeless at least for a very long time. It might take six months just to drain New Orleans alone.

There are Americans opening their homes and non-profits giving shelter. You guys probably saw the stadiums on the news. However, none of these are equip to provide aid to these folks on more than a temporary basis.

There are many people wondering around with just 1,000-yard stare and the clothes on their backs.

We need help. Be a good Samaritan.

www.redcross.org
  • Options
    Lanni wrote:

There are many people wondering around with just 1,000-yard stare and the clothes on their backs.

www.redcross.org
    where on earth and how on earth are all these people going to be housed?
    they have nothing ...they own nothing ...most of them were broke before this disaster ...what to do with so many people.

have all the people and places yet recovered from previous but lesser disasters in the states over the years?

i fear the answer is no.
    i fear there are still people from previous disasters who have been quietly forgotten about.

what does the future hold for these devastated people?
  • Options
    Things will return to normal, you are forgetting that the Americans are a very generous people - they will respond to this crisis wih solidarity and aid for their countryfolk.

The real long term effect of the hurricane is how its gonna effect petroleum refining, 9 refinerys were taken out by the hurricane and crude oil is no use by itself.
  • Options
    Lanni wrote:

www.redcross.org

The richest country in the world needs our cash? Come on, there's more than enough money in the US to fund the relief effort.
  • Options
    If a rich mans house burned down and he had nothing left Blagsta, would you stand there and gloat or would you help?
  • Options
    If a rich mans house burned down and he had nothing left Blagsta, would you stand there and gloat or would you help?

Of course I'd help...but how is that relevant here? :confused:
  • Options
    where on earth and how on earth are all these people going to be housed?
    they have nothing ...they own nothing ...most of them were broke before this disaster ...what to do with so many people.

have all the people and places yet recovered from previous but lesser disasters in the states over the years?

i fear the answer is no.
    i fear there are still people from previous disasters who have been quietly forgotten about.

what does the future hold for these devastated people?

Wow. This is a foreign perception. One that is not commonly heard here.

People usually complain that the US agencies are too generous. That they give displaced homeowners money just so that they can rebuild their homes in natural disaster prone areas only to receive other taxpayers' money again a few years later.

The same complaint is being heard on the news now because many can't wait to rebuild New Orleans.

One of our politicians just caused an uproar for supposedly insinuating that New Orleans shouldn't be rebuilt because it'll always be prone to flooding.

Usually insurance and government and non-profit aid homeowners to rebuild after natural disasters. Some owners also qualify for subsidies and loans.

Non-homeowners may have to depend on government assistance on non-profits to find housing.

People in areas other than New Orleans that were affected by the storm are supposed to file claims as they would normally, but because the damage in New Orleans was so extensive, the New Orleanians aren't supposed to file, yet.

Some of the same government and non-profit agencies that help rebuild also provide temporary shelter, food, and assistance immediately post-calamity.

There is some temporary housing for these Katrina victims and more to come.

People from New Orleans are being evacuated to dry parts of Louisiana. Some people are already in Texas, Georgia, and other places, too.

Basically where ever they can be put within the vicinity is being looked at.

There is talk about building complexes to provide for more lodgings.

If you want to help www.redcross.org.
    Blagsta wrote:
    The richest country in the world needs our cash? Come on, there's more than enough money in the US to fund the relief effort.

If 80% of Bristol went underwater and an equal amount of thousands of English found themselves homeless within hours, I doubt you guys would be turning down financial assistance -- Domestic or otherwise. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Lanni wrote:
    If 80% of Bristol went underwater and an equal amount of thousands of English found themselves homeless within hours, I doubt you guys would be turning down financial assistance -- Domestic or otherwise. :rolleyes:

Sorry, how is that relevant? The US is the richest country in the world. Surely they can afford disaster relief? Or don't the rich like to help the poor in the US?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Sorry, how is that relevant? The US is the richest country in the world. Surely they can afford disaster relief? Or don't the rich like to help the poor in the US?

As for your last sentence, I thought that was obivous enough already.

However, the governent must hlep them, I dont think they could get away with not doing so. It is their responsibility after all.
  • Options
    while some of you argue fucking politics and economics ...a million people are crying.

economic effects are already rippling out across the world.

if the wealthy in america DON'T help ...it doesn't mean WE shouldn't.

an area the size of the U.K has been effected.

if you believe the rich and powerful won't dip into their pockets to help these people then surely ...whilst attacking their hard heartedness ...you should be digging deep into yours.
  • Options
    my heart goes out to those who have been effected by Katrina. Americans are strong willed, I'm sure we'll overcome.
  • Options
    I saw some of the scenes on tv, really looks terrible and just shows nature can affect all of us. Hope they get all the help they need and get back on track with their lives as soon as possible.