Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Katrina.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If a rich mans house burned down and he had nothing left Blagsta, would you stand there and gloat or would you help?

I'd help him, but I wouldn't buy him a new one if he could afford it himself.

What a hopelessly poor anology.
  • Options
    I know this was bigger than they were expecting and I know that many troops are elsewhere so can not help, but why can they at least get water to people four full days after the event?

People have and are dying in the SuperDome, the place they asked people to go because of lack of supplies, surely it can not be that difficult to supply water at least?

And I have heard more than a couple of people interviewed suggesting that the government was warned that the flood defences wouldn't hold but that they did not put the needed funding in. If thats the case then they are liable for the death rate.
  • Options
    A Can't-Do Government
    Excerpt:

Even military resources in the right place weren't ordered into action. "On Wednesday," said an editorial in The Sun Herald in Biloxi, Miss., "reporters listening to horrific stories of death and survival at the Biloxi Junior High School shelter looked north across Irish Hill Road and saw Air Force personnel playing basketball and performing calisthenics. Playing basketball and performing calisthenics!"
  • Options
    while some of you argue fucking politics and economics ...a million people are crying.

Yes, that is politics. Thats what makes me angry.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yes, that is politics. Thats what makes me angry.

What? A million people crying because of a natural disaster?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    What? A million people crying because of a natural disaster?

The US is the richest and most powerful country in the world. They can put a man on the moon, they can organise massive military bombardments of foreign countries yet they can't get water and supplies to poor people in their own country. That makes me angry.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    The US is the richest and most powerful country in the world. They can put a man on the moon, they can organise massive military bombardments of foreign countries yet they can't get water and supplies to poor people in their own country. That makes me angry.

Yes but if they can't be arsed doing it then why shouldn't we. You all complain that America can do it, but whats stopping us doing something. We did it for the tsunami victims, why not here?
  • Options
    I'm not saying we shouldn't. I'm just pointing out that the US can afford to sort it out themselves, but probably won't 'cos they're only poor black people and who gives a fuck about them?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'm not saying we shouldn't. I'm just pointing out that the US can afford to sort it out themselves, but probably won't 'cos they're only poor black people and who gives a fuck about them?

Thats a bit simplistic don't you think
  • Options
    There was a newsreader yesterday who pretty much summed up my feelings, can't remember who but he said something along the lines of "how hard it it to send a couple of buses or make a makeshift camp on the outskirts?"

I do think that the US will eventually sort things out, they are more resiliant than people give them credit for but how many countless numbers of them are going to needlessly suffer between now and then.

Nature is the "enemy within" the US government has ignored at their peril, as are we, as are many countries in the Western World.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Thats a bit simplistic don't you think

Possibly, but there is truth in there. If this was posh Manhattan do you think the rescue effort would be so lame?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Possibly, but there is truth in there. If this was posh Manhattan do you think the rescue effort would be so lame?

Manhatten, the place itself has far more to offer than NO, especially in terms of finance, but I don't see where race would have anything to do with the problem at all, in both circumstances.
  • Options
    I agree its more of a class thing, but you can't deny that America is racist, especially in the south.
  • Options
    Always has and probably always will
  • Options
    still the people have no water!
    absolutely disgusting situation.
    yes blag it is very political ...yes if this was california ...the place would be having huge food bombs dropped on it ...
    if the american people don't drag the bush family out of the white house now and string them up ...can i be arrested for saying that>
  • Options
    FBI is on its way MR... ;)
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    FBI is on its way MR... ;)
    i'll go screaming ...string 'em up ...string 'em up!
  • Options
    Well I thought I'd never live to see the day: even the ultra right wing neocon Fox News has got the knives out for the Bush administration and its handling of the crisis:

"THIS IS A NATIONAL DISGRACE"
  • Options
    No One Is Helping The People In Louisianna Because Theyre Mostly Black!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    It does seem to be at least a tad incompitent (much like my spelling)

They will probably get things moving now though, I expect a big reaction, but it looks like the place will never be the same,

OH and Fats Domino, has been saved so thats good do you remember him Morrocan roll 1st time round ?
    And Mr Roll what Jimi song is that its from Electric Lady land isnt it, is it?
  • Options
    Louisiana's governor said 300 "battle-tested" National Guardsmen were being sent to the crippled city.

"They have M-16s and are locked and loaded. These troops know how to shoot and kill and I expect they will," Kathleen Blanco said.

From this BBC story
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    The richest country in the world needs our cash? Come on, there's more than enough money in the US to fund the relief effort.

Since when has the "fuck 'em" approach been yours?

Didn't hear you suggesting that the asian states should look after their own, even though some of the richest men in the world live in the region...

Hardly surprising that previous members have questioned the anti-US approach on these boards.
  • Options
    Since when has the "fuck 'em" approach been yours?

Didn't hear you suggesting that the asian states should look after their own, even though some of the richest men in the world live in the region...

Hardly surprising that previous members have questioned the anti-US approach on these boards.

fact being if the federal government didn't stop their programme of gradual damage reduction by recovering old wetland through good drainage to due it being uncommercial, and actually was helping before the hurricane struck as they had a good 3 days warning, they wouldnt need to fork out 12 billion dollars of federal reserve money afterwards to clean up and help people

id give my money to the NGOs but thats it.....
  • Options
    If no-one lived in an artificial basin etc.

How about we use the "if states had invested in a tsunami warning system" argument then? Would have sounded crass then because the people who are suffering aren't the people who made the "economic" decision.

The other problem is that if is a big word. All you can deal with now if the "now" situation - and here you have people who have lost homes.

I have one. I guess I figure it's my responsibility to help out those less fortunate that I am even if they do live in a country which has much wealth. Doesn't mean that those individuals are rich enough to cover themselves and many would not have the insurance cover either.

I agree with you NGO approach though, and talking of which has anyone seem a DEC advert about this yet?
  • Options
    Why should we give money to DEC though - surely USAID has more than enough money to give out - especially seeing as how they attatchch so many conditions to thier grants that hardly anyone wants them.
  • Options
    If no-one lived in an artificial basin etc.

How about we use the "if states had invested in a tsunami warning system" argument then? Would have sounded crass then because the people who are suffering aren't the people who made the "economic" decision.

The other problem is that if is a big word. All you can deal with now if the "now" situation - and here you have people who have lost homes.

I have one. I guess I figure it's my responsibility to help out those less fortunate that I am even if they do live in a country which has much wealth. Doesn't mean that those individuals are rich enough to cover themselves and many would not have the insurance cover either.

I agree with you NGO approach though, and talking of which has anyone seem a DEC advert about this yet?

sadly it didnt use to be an if situation the risk assesments put this as one of the major threats over the next few years and they sort of predicted a hurricane, the point is the infrastructure to deal with this was being built - however it got SLIGHTLY in the way of so called development, and thus the only people to blame are the federal governemt as the project that was cut short was cost effective and it was reasonly certain something like this would happen within 5 years

i thought films were kidding about gangs controlling resources would form, and they have..... looting food and medicine etc for themselves using stolen guns
  • Options
    Heard on itv news channel that the government had stopped inspecting the levies a few years ago - nice move.

It seems to me that the americans can easily afford to purchase whatever they need (and then some) it's not like we are talking about some backward corner of the globe with no nearby help, is it?

The knock on effect of this could easily be catastrophic though, almost all american goods go up through the big easy and the mississisipi(sp?) delta to the rest of the country, and vice versa.

Not to mention the problem with lost oil supplies, and the huge insurance bill that's now gonna be on it's way. Bearing the insurance thing in mind, all that "stolen" stuff has probably already been written off so no one is gonna be missing it.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    It seems to me that the americans can easily afford to purchase whatever they need (and then some) it's not like we are talking about some backward corner of the globe with no nearby help, is it?

I'm surprised at you klintock. Firstly whilst some of those affected will be able to afford to get themselves out of this hole, there will be plenty which cannot. I'd have expected you to mention that.

The other point is, does the fact that these people live in a wealthy nation mean that those individuals who are poor don't deserve our help? Are they less human, in less need than someone living in Indonesia (for example)?

Surely the fact that the individuals concerned have nothing now, no house, no job etc means that they are in no better a position than those affected by the tsunami. In fact when you consider the relative cost of living in each country, you could argue that the individuals affected are actually worse off...
  • Options
    OH and Fats Domino, has been saved so thats good do you remember him Morrocan roll 1st time round ?
    And Mr Roll what Jimi song is that its from Electric Lady land isnt it, is it?
    not first time round ya cheeky sod!
    jimmi ...still raining still dreaming.

five days and still huge ammounts of people without food and water!

mats greatest nation on earth showing its true colours.
    this is on their own soil ...not across an ocean.

old and infirm people evacuated to a stadium ...without a roof ...just concrete and hard seats ...no water and food ...i am angrier and more upset than i can remember.

there are no excuses for this.
    it maywell be a huge disaster but there is no need for the press to keep blowing out of all proportion the gun problems. the looting problems.

easy enough to bring in thousand of men with guns to shhoot to kill ...why the fuck is it so much harder to bring in relief?
  • Options
    surely the time has come to show the cowardly draft dodging trillion dollar tax theiving bastards the door.