Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

would you refuse a drug test at school

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Until MP's are subjected to random drug tests I see no reason for virtually anyone else to be.
  • Options
    Only the teachers, pupils and maybe the janitor but overall, i think no-one should be tested

See, I have worked in a place where drug testing was a regular thing, and the only people who ever given the heave ho where those who were on the wrong side of management in some way.

The blue eyed boys and suck ups all got excused on various grounds, one guy even got sent off to "rehab" to get over his "canabis addiction". Fair play to him for swinging 4 weeks off work but in the same bout of testing another guy was sacked on the spot for the same offence.

I can see very easily a struggling pupil being told to fuck off but one with decent grades and a parent on the PTA given kid glove treatment.

Basically it's wide open to abuse because their is no set outcome if a positive result does come in. On that basis alone it shouldn't be done, never mind the slippery slope of intrusion.
  • Options
    If only they had the means & will to take action against those who are on drugs whilst at school, their demands would have a little more weight.

But since, I'm sure, the tests won't difference between someone who smoked a spliff or snorted a few lines the previous night and someone who just took them during school hours and is actually 'high' on the premises, such tests must be opposed by all means necessary.

It is nobody's business if anyone- be a school pupil or a worker- chooses to take drugs, drink alcohol or nail their knob to a tree for that matter, so long as it is done in their free time and not in school/place of work and that their performance is not affected.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    It is nobody's business if anyone- be a school pupil or a worker- chooses to take drugs, drink alcohol or nail their knob to a tree for that matter, so long as it is done in their free time and not in school/place of work and that their performance is not affected.

I disagree.

Schhols are not the same as a place of work, they are fundamental to a childs upbringing and have a duty of care to the children there that includes trying to stop them getting into drugs.........
  • Options
    But surely acts as a dterrant for others, no?
  • Options
    Schhols are not the same as a place of work, they are fundamental to a childs upbringing and have a duty of care to the children there that includes trying to stop them getting into drugs.........

Balls. Big hairy ones too. "fundamental" my ringpiece.

It's a half babysitting, half prisony mess designed to churn out factory workers in the 18th/19th century, a producer of robots and the obedient. Testing the drones is just one more way of taking responsibility from the child and into nanny state.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

Except this wont do that, it might stop some smoking cannabis which isnt that harmful anyway. It will not stop them seeking other forms of intoxication and it will do nothing for the reasons why they are choosing to use drugs/alcohol.

If they genuinely have a problem you can take that drug away and they will just use another one.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    But surely acts as a dterrant for others, no?

It would only serve as a deterrant if action was taken against drug users - something which would be utterly counter-productive.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Spliffie wrote:
    It would only serve as a deterrant if action was taken against drug users

I don't believe that it would even be much of a deterrant. The law is supposedly there to deter people from using drugs but they still do.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I don't believe that it would even be much of a deterrant. The law is supposedly there to deter people from using drugs but they still do.

If the results of drug tests led to suspension etc it would probably serve as a deterrant. Although using other people's piss is a good way around it.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    If the results of drug tests led to suspension etc it would probably serve as a deterrant.

But what about the kids who dont care if they get kicked out of school, is suspending them a good idea? Children out of school with nothing to do wandering the streets is going to help with their drug 'problem'?
  • Options
    I think if they got kicked out of school it would make them take more drugs than they were originally taking because if they are at school they would have had less time to associate with drugs.

Exactly, so you have kids with no hope of getting decent grades at school with lots of time on their hands to use drugs and get into trouble. What an excellent solution to this rampant drug use problem we have.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

Schools are not parents. They have a responsibility to protect children from other children whilst at school- something they fail with flying colours- and a responsibility to educate them.

They have a responsibility to educate children about drugs, but not anything more than that.

What a child does out of school time is of no concern or relevance to the school.

But even assuming that schools have a "duty to protect kids from drugs", could you please explain to me what a random drug test will achieve?

If they expel drug takers, what will it achieve?
    If they put treatment programmes on drug takers, what will it achieve? When even the Crown Court can't get a person to complete a Drug Treatment and Testing Order- with the threat of custody- what chance does a school have?

All this will do is ostracise and damage relations between teacher- that's teacher, not "moral guardian"- and pupil. And that's before we consider the ethics of a school telling a pupil what it can and cannot do outside of school time.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    But what about the kids who dont care if they get kicked out of school, is suspending them a good idea? Children out of school with nothing to do wandering the streets is going to help with their drug 'problem'?

:confused:

Read what I said eh :thumb:
    It would only serve as a deterrant if action was taken against drug users - something which would be utterly counter-productive.
  • Options
    Being excluded from school isn't a punishment, they only punishment that it serves is the telling off most kids get by their parant(s)/guardian because they've been excluded.

I would refuse a drug test on the grounds that we all should be allowed personal rights. If a kid is coming to school lookin doped out of his head every day and it looks as if it's reflecting on his work/others etc or they have been seen doing drugs/dealing etc then you can see why they may want to give them a drug test. But totally random testing is out of order especially when you get some who do use drugs outside of school but still do really well academically and nobody is none the wiser about their use. Not to mention the fact that really it should have fuck all to do with school what kids do with their spare time anyway.

Anyone agree?
  • Options
    Uprising wrote:

Anyone agree?

Only the ignorant wouldn't.
  • Options
    I'd refuse to take a drug test, because I simply don't take drugs...
  • Options
    If the police tried to pull you over would you try and get away because you knew you hadn't done anything?
  • Options
    i find this whole thread rather comical given the current situation........the truth is it's okay for the school to pump your kid full of drugs, sorry medication, but noone even bats an eyelid........and that's okay because the pharmaceutical companies are making a tidy profit, in america bush has gone one better for his corporate buddies and made psychological testing mandatory for ALL kids in school, which will no doubt result in huge proportions being diagnosed with ADD and in need of some ritalin........all this is okay, but if your kid might be smoking a joint outside of school, then you should be really worried cos he's gonna fuck his life up........get real people.........schools are sick institutions that try to usurp the parenting role, hell they see more of the kids than the parents do these days, and all these great ideas like pre-school and nursery, they're just more ways to suck your kid in at an early age and give them a good dose of indoctrination........fuck drug tests, i'm never gonna put my kid in school in the first place, problem solved.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    If the police tried to pull you over would you try and get away because you knew you hadn't done anything?

Your arguments are getting more and more non-sensicle

If a policeman pulls you over he has right reason to suspect you did something wrong. Assuming a child is on drugs because 3% of children are on drugs is totally different to suspecting that guy hasn't got a tax disc mate.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

Do you think it's acceptable for a gaver to tug without a good reason?

I don't, but then I wouldn't try to 'get away' because that is an offence in itself.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

That's an offence in itself, so no I wouldn't do that.
  • Options
    That's an offence in itself, so no I wouldn't do that.

Well seeing as the thread is partly about whether it should be an offecne in the case of drug testing in schools then that is a rather redundant comment.

The point I was making is that saying

'I won't do it because I am not guilty" Is bullshit
  • Options
    Apollo 69 I do not know what school you went to where you were 'pumped full of pharmaceuticals'

Glad I didn't go there.........
  • Options
    lol don't worry mate my school was shit but wasnt that bad........i'm merely commenting on the growing trend of school to interfere with the kids upbringing and lifestyle........but yeah, you are glad you didnt go to my school nonetheless.....
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    The point I was making is that saying

It was a poor analogy.

Again, would you find it acceptable if a gaver pulled you over and searched you for without any evidence that you'd done anything wrong?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

Your arguments are getting more and more non-sensicle

If a policeman pulls you over he has right reason to suspect you did something wrong. Assuming a child is on drugs because 3% of children are on drugs is totally different to suspecting that guy hasn't got a tax disc mate.

and not to mention that if you're on drugs and driving there is an immediate threat to everyone else on the road because of you. Where as in school you might have gotten stoned 3 day's earlier.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

How about we drug test you every day then, make you pee in a cup while we watch every day, maybe check on what your eating to make sure its healthy and that you havent been binge drinking, that your vitamin count is right...
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    It was a poor analogy.

Again, would you find it acceptable if a gaver pulled you over and searched you for without any evidence that you'd done anything wrong?

Yes it was, here is a better one......... ;)

Do you object to security checks at airports?
  • Options
    Do you object to security checks at airports?

I didn't realise that going to the airport was ordered by law for children.

Still a crap analogy. You can choose to go or not go to the airport. Kids get no choice about going to school.