Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

would you refuse a drug test at school

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/4197090.stm

i rate the student who just refused and saved them the time and then after said he wouldnt stop either - :thumb:

pointless really since drug use isnt actually that high probably 1 or 3% of students at most, so i dont see the point of doing them, when better education is the key, especially about solvents which i assume they wont test for :s

Comments

• Options
    Considerably more than 3% of students will try and illegal drug before they leave Sixth Form, its about 40-50% try it at least once.

Drug tests are unethical, unreliable and totally counter productive. The kids with problematic drug use just wont come to school, which makes the situation worse, and others will just change to alcohol, which can not be tested for effectively.

You will also note that the only school doing this is being funded to do so by a tabloid newspaper who obviously only has the kids interests at heart.
  • Options
    If they wanted to test me, I'd just laugh in their face. Me taking drugs? Sorry but ahahahahaha. As if.
  • Options
    A school which is only a few miles from me. The only one in the area with this approach, and I'm still wondering what the motive is...
  • Options
    A school which is only a few miles from me. The only one in the area with this approach, and I'm still wondering what the motive is...

That's probably the one the News of The World is sponsoring to do it because they care deeply about kids health.

This sums up the objections rather well;

http://www.tdpf.org.uk/MediaNews_PressReleases_05.01.05.htm
  • Options
    I still don't see the motive for the school, unless they are being funded more than the cost of the test, in which case I can see income generation being an incentive.

That aside, what do they achieve by this? Considering that two "positives" have been identified, and both pupils remained at the school, I can't see what they have achieved...
  • Options
    what a load of junk. I can't believe these guys are actually getting away with stopping random kids and testing them for drugs. This is exactly the reason why students need a strong union. :banghead:
  • Options
    That aside, what do they achieve by this? Considering that two "positives" have been identified, and both pupils remained at the school, I can't see what they have achieved...

The theory is that by testing they reduce the amount of kids using illegal drugs, and therefore maybe get better grades?

There is not a policy of a possitive test meaning the student is kicked out, you are just called in to discuss it.
  • Options
    Who's business is it anyway what people do in their free time? As long as the kids don't come in to school coked up. I could see, for exampledrugs tests being done on train drivers, but not school kids.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I would say no to them. I mean... i can't say being a tad high ever stopped me doing work. If you are trashed, obviously it is a problem.
  • Options
    I can't believe a school actualy has the balls to try this.
  • Options
    Haha, i'd refuse to take the test. Even though i don't take illegals at the moment, nor attend school i'd refuse on my own principles.
  • Options
    Who's business is it anyway what people do in their free time? As long as the kids don't come in to school coked up. I could see, for exampledrugs tests being done on train drivers, but not school kids.

As long as they weren't rude towards the teachers due to their newly found confidence boost then being coked up at school seems much better than being high on cannabis, and most likely falling asleep or being completely unmotivated.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    As long as they weren't rude towards the teachers due to their newly found confidence boost then being coked up at school seems much better than being high on cannabis, and most likely falling asleep or being completely unmotivated.

too my knowledge the school cant punish you for things you do out of school time other than if you hurt attack people from your school, no wait they do nothing then

if youre doing as youre expected in school then the school has no right to check, bet they dont check for silly amounts of caffeine during exam time or solvents
  • Options
    I'd like to think that I'd say no, and now I probably would, but anything for an easy life sometimes.

I wonder what the "appropriate" action was. Unless it was a substance abuse course I don't think there will have been a benefit to it, and even then for many drugs the benefit would be marginal.

The main benefit people argue is that it gives kids a handy excuse to say "no" in the face of peer pressure. But that is a ludicrous argument for so many reasons.

Still, the low number of positives proves one thing- all this guff about all kids being coked up to their tits is a load of tabloid lies and half-truths.
    too my knowledge the school cant punish you for things you do out of school time

That depends on what you do, AFAIK.
  • Options
    I'd refuse it.

I don't think drug use affects you much in school, hell for my whole A/S year I was stoned everyday in school itself never mind outside it and I still ended up alright.
  • Options
    So the net effect is that some kids wont get stonned they will just get drunk instead, not to my mind I'd rather have stonned teenagers than drunk ones.
  • Options
    too my knowledge the school cant punish you for things you do out of school time

Unless you are in school uniform, then they can act becuase you are still "representing" them.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Still, the low number of positives proves one thing- all this guff about all kids being coked up to their tits is a load of tabloid lies and half-truths.

Especially if you know the area. It's know for it's "trouble makers"...

My signature is based on a police notice which I saw on the local Health Centre...
  • Options
    Of course i would tell them to fuck off. I did a few years ago when I was still working in industry and they wanted to introduce random drugs tests into my contract. They didn't like it much but so what?

They come out with the "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" crap. I asked "do you think I am on drugs?" they said "no" I said "no need to change the contract then, goodbye"
  • Options
    I'd tell the jerk who bothered to ask to take that drug test and shove it.
  • Options
    I'd tell the jerk who bothered to ask to take that drug test and shove it.

Not all that easy if you are in a job, refusal brands you as a drug taker.
  • Options
    I don't really see a problem with myself.

I wouldn't want my kid taking drugs and if there was an extra threat to them that made them less likely to do it then fair enough........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    I don't really see a problem with myself.

I wouldn't want my kid taking drugs and if there was an extra threat to them that made them less likely to do it then fair enough........

And the invasion of liberty doesnt bother you, someone making your son pee in a cup?

The fact that this will further alienate kids from authority?

The fact that it will do nothing for alcohol and the drug which kills by far the most kids, solvents?

The fact that drug tests arent actually 100% accurate so there is the chance a kid will get a false possitive branding him/her a drug taker?
  • Options
    Invasion of liberty is such a standard knee-jerk argument that it has been largely devalued and it is no wonder people don't take the REAL threats to our liberty seriously when a bloody drugs test suddenyl is exxagerated into a major threat...........

'Further alienate kids from authority' not sure what you mean, kids will respect teachers less are you saying? why?

Saying we shouldn't do something because it doesn't cover other things is just bollocks. Is there no point building flodd defences because they won't stop a hurricane?

Any proof on the risk of false-positives?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    'Further alienate kids from authority' not sure what you mean, kids will respect teachers less are you saying? why?

Surely it's a trust issue. Why should I respect/trust a teacher if he doesn't respect/trust me.
  • Options
    id probly fail on account of all the hayfever medication i used to take
  • Options
    Well I would say that if you respected the teacher then you would understand why they were doing it.........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Well I would say that if you respected the teacher then you would understand why they were doing it.........

Respect is something you earn. You don't automatically have respect just because you are a teacher. Education is the key, not testing.
  • Options
    Is drug testing a medical procedure?

If it is, then under 16's can't decide and over 16's can say no.
  • Options
    Well if you haven't got the kids respect anyway then what harm is the drug testing going to do?

It is all well and good going on about education but frankly I don't think that will reduce the use of drugs very much, especially when attitudes are increasingly liberla amongst the young, just look at this site.........