Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Removing children because...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Their parents are too poor, or because their parents are too stupid.

Now, I know I read this in the mail (don't ask why I was reading the mail) but seeing as they provided numbers, I thought I'd ask if anyone else had heard about these alleged antics by social services.

BTW, 110 cases out of 61000 the main reason for removing the child was given as family poverty, not induced by a parental addiction. Source: (shudders) The Daily Mail.

Comments

• Options
    It's unfortunate that the parents and children have to go through such emotional upheaval. Where the parents can't provide adequate shelter, food and clothing this could be provided and leave the family together. Isn't this what child benefit is for? However, I do believe that many children are disadvantaged by their families, their parents' attitude or education that led to the poverty of stupidity and would, if placed with foster parents, have a higher quality of life and greater prospects. Is it a right to have and raise your children? Does your opinion change if little raising is being done?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Now, I know I read this in the mail (don't ask why I was reading the mail)

Why were you reading the mail?
  • Options
    That's so funny, thank God I'm wearing my corset, because I think my sides have split. [/blackadder]
  • Options
    Gotta love that government.

Why not give the parents the money that is spent on all the social services mumbo jumbo instead of splitting the family apart?

Ahh cos there is no control or interference that way....
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Gotta love that government.

Why not give the parents the money that is spent on all the social services mumbo jumbo instead of splitting the family apart?

Ahh cos there is no control or interference that way....

There are certain parents who are just incapable. Money isn't always an answer. Sometimes you have to break the cycle of apathy and underachievement.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    That's so funny, thank God I'm wearing my corset, because I think my sides have split. [/blackadder]

actually it was quite funny, just so simple made me laugh
  • Options
    There are certain parents who are just incapable.

So make them capable.
    Money isn't always an answer.

It is to the problem of not having any, which is what this is about.
    Sometimes you have to break the cycle of apathy and underachievement.

By splitting families up and dehumanising children? Yeah GG mate.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    So make them capable.

Some people don't want to learn and won't no matter how much expense you go to training them. That's why most employers have capability proceedings to force out inept staff.
    It is to the problem of not having any, which is what this is about.

What are the underlying causes of poverty in a rich country with a strong economy? Failed education or motivation.
    By splitting families up and dehumanising children? Yeah GG mate.

Who's to say that by placing them with a foster family, with a proven record of caring for children well you'll harm them in any way? Isn't it quite possible that with a supportive and capable family helping them they'll go on to achieve more than they otherwise would have and allow them to avoid similar social problems negatively impacting their own kids?
  • Options
    Some people don't want to learn and won't no matter how much expense you go to training them.

Utter bullshit.
    That's why most employers have capability proceedings to force out inept staff.

Families aren't busiinesses, thank fuck.
    What are the underlying causes of poverty in a rich country with a strong economy? Failed education or motivation.

Balls - talk to Blagsta about why this is wrong. Shit wages for essential tasks more like, allied with big business making sure that there is always a pool of people with fuck all to do to keep wages down.
    Who's to say that by placing them with a foster family, with a proven record of caring for children well you'll harm them in any way? Isn't it quite possible that with a supportive and capable family helping them they'll go on to achieve more than they otherwise would have and allow them to avoid similar social problems negatively impacting their own kids?

No, possible yes, better solution, yes, so take it. "Social problems" horseshit - the only problem is that this shit is allowed to happen and actively encouraged.
  • Options
    What you both say is all good but there are some real fucking scumbag families out there,

Some people cant learn theyve spent their whole lives living one way and then in a week there susposed to wholehartidly change and learn new skills especially if there not too clever.

You might as well say that you could take all the violent people out of prison and teach them non violnce, and in a lot of cases you can but some people just cant or wont be helped.
  • Options
    What you both say is all good but there are some real fucking scumbag families out there,

Some people cant learn theyve spent their whole lives living one way and then in a week there susposed to wholehartidly change and learn new skills especially if there not too clever.

You might as well say that you could take all the violent people out of prison and teach them non violnce, and in a lot of cases you can but some people just cant or wont be helped.

Agreed. It's sad to dismiss people as beyond help but it's an unfortunate reality of life. In some cases the best we can do is avoid them taking others down with them.
  • Options

There sure are. This is about taking families and splitting them up because they are poor. Whiah is wrong.

Exactly. Changing people takes time. And that's all usually. People changing is inevitable.
    Agreed. It's sad to dismiss people as beyond help but it's an unfortunate reality of life.

It's an unfortunate reality of life if you dismiss them. You have it arse about tit. once you give up then there is no hop, not the other way around.

No one is beyond help.
    In some cases the best we can do is avoid them taking others down with them.

By showing them that quiting is an option. GG.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    By showing them that quiting is an option. GG.

What does GG mean? Good going?

Are you testing the hypothesis that if you repeat the same point over and over eventually people will agree with you?
  • Options
    Are you testing the hypothesis that if you repeat the same point over and over eventually people will agree with you?

Agreement has no value in itself at least for me, I am well aware that most people think it's the be all and end all. You are asserting horseshit so I am responding by pointing out why you are wrong.

I am actually trying to do you a favour, believe it or not.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I am actually trying to do you a favour, believe it or not.

Ah, but some people can't be helped. :D
  • Options
    What I can't do is based on what I don't know......yet.

Add the word yet to more things mate, does you the power of good. I can't do "x", no one can do "x"....yet.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    What I can't do is based on what I don't know......yet.

Add the word yet to more things mate, does you the power of good. I can't do "x", no one can do "x"....yet.

So you have a great deal of experience with failing parents?

It's just I don't know how you became such an authority on the subject. Yet.
  • Options
    So you have a great deal of experience with failing parents?

Very little. First thing I would ask is failing according to who? Second thing would be "how would you know they were no longer failing?" and then make a plan to make that real.
    It's just I don't know how you became such an authority on the subject. Yet.

I don't need to be an authority on the subject to know that it's possible to get one group of people to copy the actions of another group of people.

I also fail to see how my previous answer is even addressed by this comment.

Is it true that some people don't do parenting well?

yes.

Is it true that other people do parenting well?

yes.

So, how do we make/help etc group "a" become just like group "b"?

I don't know...yet. You aren't even asking the question. Yet.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    There may be some good genuine reasons why some kids may need to be taken away from their parents. The fact that they have a low income is not one of them.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    i read online that a couple the father a drug taker and the mother a hooker killed there children by accidentally putting the children (aged around 1ish) into boiling hot bath water and they died due to severe burns. the father was shooting up and went back to see his children dead....now them children would be still alive only for there wanker parents
  • Options
    If the authorities/ Social Services were entirely impartial and objective, about half of all celebrities & rock stars would have their children taken away. Funny how it only happens to the poor and ordinary...
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    There are certain parents who are just incapable. Money isn't always an answer. Sometimes you have to break the cycle of apathy and underachievement.
    I agree with you for once... Cherish the moment :p

In school, the kids who always played up and underachieved were from very working class families and I think some parents can encourage their kids to do better academically, especially with how the job market is going.

Also, as I've said before... When you go out on council estates you see kids running around in environments where there's smashed glass on the roads, derilict flats, a lot of drugs users and boy racers going around. That's not safe at all. For example when I lived out in the sticks this kid was locked outdoors all day and was let in of evenings, he ended up urinating in bushes ans causing trouble.

Doesn't lack of encouragement and attention make a young person feel rejected or unloved? Could that be partly the reason why so many young people turn to crime? Because they're angry and hurting?
  • Options
    Clarification is here given.

The PRIMARY REASON given for the separation is because of the financial situation.

NOT because they are unloved, abused, or neglected.

Sorry, I know it's the mail, but this is a comment on the other story i was thinking of. Source
  • Options
    ginner wrote:

The rich/poor gap is growing...motivation has nothing to do with it. Education is one factor, I know a few parents who don't care too much for their childs education because they never really went to school. Most poor people also live in council estates, if you lived in one you would know that your average day isn't spent doing 4 hours revision to becoming the next top lawyer, you're more likely to be out joyriding or smoking spliffs...I think the problems are circular, they make each other worse.

ETA: I think it is a stupid evil idea. Money doesn't substitute for love.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Clarification is here given.

The PRIMARY REASON given for the separation is because of the financial situation.

NOT because they are unloved, abused, or neglected.

Sorry, I know it's the mail, but this is a comment on the other story i was thinking of. Source

My grandma gets the Mail so I'd read it when I was visiting for a laugh mainly Id tell her what I thought of it and she'd laugh.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

No it was a legitimate question. Don't think you sweep us aside with a blaise comment and make us forget you were reading that rag. Unless of course it was for the sudoku
  • Options
  • Options
    Ginner seems to think that this is acceptable.

Ginner seems to think of a lot of backward silly things are acceptable.
  • Options
    But we're not talking about fathers with drug problems or mothers who walk the streets. We're talking about parents who most probably love their kids very much and try to do their best by them, and yet are still being separated - just because they don't have much money. Ginner seems to think that this is acceptable. Maybe in his ideal world poor people aren't allowed kids. In my ideal world, there aren't any poor people.

poor people tend to go out on a lim to support there children, im sure they scrape together what they can to make there kids life a good one.. i dont think its right to take peoples children off them just because theyre poor. although i do believe that if the child is being neglected enough due the situation of being of being poor then something should be used to sort this out although seperating famlies is hardly the answer.
  • Options
    Part of the problem I think is that Social Services is one organisation, we should split it into the nice half and the nasty bit.

This way people wouldnt be worried about asking for help like they are now.

We should have the Lovey Dovey Helping Hand Service and then the Sponge Squad.