Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Teenage Depression

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ballerina wrote:
    we never did CATs at my school, but my brother did at his school a few miles away :confused:

Why would you be confused about that?
  • Options
    because i dont get why we didn't do them
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    because i dont get why we didn't do them

They aren't compulsory or part of any cirruculum, it's the schools discretion whether you do them or not.
  • Options
    To add my two pence:

Self-harm was the only ultimate release for me at the time. I used to panic a lot and mainly through relationships and the lack of control in situations around me, I didn't know how else to control myself. Despite bad things happening to me, I didn't care to hurt anyone else. Once whilst walking down a lane, arguing with my bf of the time, I walked away and thumped a wall. I felt an immense feeling of satisfaction. I felt lighter in my head, I couldn't cry - it was almost euphoric - I was smiling, relaxed, calm and collected once again. My knuckles were mashed but that just reminded me of that sense of gaining back a feeling of control.

When I used to actually cut my arm I used to cry. At the moment where I longed to do it - I felt trapped and isolated. There was nothing 'outside the box' in my mind. I didn't see myself a couple minutes from that moment, let alone days, years. At that point I wanted to make a cut, release the pressure that used to feel so heavy across my head and in my stomach, making me feel sick. All brought on from panic at the thought of loosing someone I'd loaded all my precious secrets and thoughts into. I didn't trust anyone else, or felt I had anyone else. I felt like the pressure, was under my skin and the feeling I got once I'd done it - well the pressure went away.

I was incredibly defensive over my arms. No one ever saw them, and if they even tried to reach for them I'd go apeshit. I wanted no-ones help and I wanted no one to know. I know of other self-harmers who are the same. I know of one who shows everyone, tells everyone. Makes everyone aware. I don't know what I consider her. She's genuinly unhappy in someways, but my way of dealing with it was so far removed from her ways, that I'm not sure if I take her seriously, whethre I take it as attention seeking as her nature is very in your face and she brags of the fact she needs to be the centre of attention. Or maybe I'm bitter cause she's got counselling and she's got all these friends who are aware...and yet talking to them in confidence, they tell me that they don't understand it and find her constantly talking of her problems as attention seeking and self-involved.

There's me tuppence.!
  • Options
    The similarities between depressed people and most bullies are astounding. Most bullies have pscychological problems, they pick on weaker people to make them feel better, it's their release.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    we never did CATs at my school, but my brother did at his school a few miles away :confused:
    We didn't do them at my first high school, hence why I had to do them in year 8.
  • Options
    CAT tests are a waste of time. They illustrate nothing.

Teachers pressurise pupils into doing well, because its their job on the line if the pupils don't do well. The more senior the teacher, the stronger the pressure they put on.

That teachers seriously told me that GCSEs are make-or-break makes me laugh now, it's so comedically ridiculous. But they did, and the pressure was put on us to do really well. I couldn't be arsed, so I got all Bs, which would obviously make me an academic failure for all eternity. Erm.

The causes of depression are tough. Some people can cope with huge amounts of shit, and some people can't cope with much without getting depressed. Depressive behaviour certainly has its basis in genetic, of that I have no doubt, but what makes it complicated is that a lot of depressive behaviour is learned. Early childhood really makes a difference as to how a person can cope with life, and the slightest trauma can warp someone's character quite badly. When I was a little boy we moved several times around Australia, my mum was homesick, and my grandad died suddenly one afternoon. That definitely made a difference to how I behave now- I learned the behaviour of everyone around me.
  • Options
    I don't remember doing CAT tests at all, but in Year 10 we did some Yellis tests - why do we do them anyway?

For some reason at GCSE (I'ver just finished mine) I didn't get put under much pressure to do well (despite being predicted mainly Cs, a BB and Ds) and got put under alot more pressure whilst doing SATs in Year 9. I'm sure that some teachers thought that your life depended on SATs...
  • Options
    I'm predicted an A, 2 C's and the rest B's - when i collasped under the pressure a few months ago, i suddenly had all the teachers telling me that gcse's aren't as important as they make out....
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    I'm predicted an A, 2 C's and the rest B's - when i collasped under the pressure a few months ago, i suddenly had all the teachers telling me that gcse's aren't as important as they make out....

GCSE and then in turn A-Levels are just a key that you get given (or not) at the end of your current educational level. It allows you to unlock the door to the next tier. Once the door is unlocked there is no need for the key anymore, it becomes utterly redundant.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    They aren't *that* important. After they've got you into college they're pretty useless.
  • Options
    They aren't *that* important. After they've got you into college they're pretty useless.
    Yup and then you get to university... You leave in over ten grand of debt and have to get a job then. You have to wear the right clothes to look good and attract a suitible mate... After all if you don't have a partner there must be something wrong with you.

You need a car, a house, to be able to afford to eat in an increasingly competitive job market.
  • Options
    well as long as you get 5 A-C's it's ok, so i've been told
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

That certainly was the case when i went to 6th form college. I got A's, B's and C's across the board and the guy at admissions told me i could pretty much do any course i wanted to.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    It depends what you want to do. If you go for IB then you need specific grades to do certain subjects (i.e. higher subjects B or above, Higher Maths you need A or above...or that's how it is at my college). But A-levels, there'll be something for you no matter what you get.
  • Options
    Just been thinking about this some more.

What makes a person stop cutting themselves once they've started? I'm not talking about a recovery period but rather about a "cutting session" as it were. The cutting makes a self-harmer feel better so when is it time to stop? Also, does the deeper the cut or the more pain inflicted directly relate to the release or pleasure experienced during the "session"?
  • Options
    YOu stop when the need to do it goes. Sh releases the bad feelings, and when they're gone you stop hurting yourself.

The amount of damage caused has no reflection on the power of the feelings.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    YOu stop when the need to do it goes. Sh releases the bad feelings, and when they're gone you stop hurting yourself.

The amount of damage caused has no reflection on the power of the feelings.

I guess i should explain the motives for re-opening the thread. I suspect a friend of mine is doing this. In fact i'm pretty sure she is. I'm going to confront her about it over the weekend and want to make sure that i'm as well informed as possible.

So you saying the amount of pain caused bares no relation the relief / release felt?
  • Options
    In my experience i would say yes, they are too easy to get.

I was going through a difficult time back along, really stressed money worries, college problems family problems went to the doctor about my asthma came out with antidepressants, yeah i was depressed feeling very bad, did feel like there was no point in anything and wished i did not exist! hated myself, started crying in front of the doctor about how i hated my part time job and didnt want to go back, she signed me off and gave me antidepressants. walked out told my cousin she told me NOT to start on that path and to see her for a chat, after a chat and a little TLC about everything and an offer to talk whenever I liked I felt the world of good, sorted things out on paper what i didnt like what i needed to do. Joined a union at work so people wouldn't walk over me and treat me like shit protection from the abusive customers, sorted family issues, sorted my work so it didnt seem too much and when i realised how to save a bit of money each week i felt so much better, sometimes you just need a rational/unbiased talk to sort things out!

A lot of young people have got a lot of stress mine was mainly because i want to make dad proud and could never do it i felt bad and with a one way ticket to failure. Today there is so much pressure to do well, be a popluar person all kids/teenagers need is someone they can talk to to help rationalise things if this fails then drugs may benefit.
  • Options
    I'm going to confront her about it over the weekend

Don't.
    So you saying the amount of pain caused bares no relation the relief / release felt?

It's hard to explain.

Different people harm themselves in different ways. Me taking gouges out of my arms and chest doesn't mean I hurt far more than someone who just scratched themselves.

When I felt worse I tended to cut more and deeper, but not always. Sometimes my worst cutting was when it wasn't that deep a depression.

Devil - *yawn*

Doctors don't hand them out like sweets. If you get given ADs it is because the doctor considers you to be depressed. If you don't want to take them then don't- your choice- but just because you don't want them doesn't mean that they are the wrong thing to offer.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Don't.

I'm not going to carry on as if i'm not aware that something's wrong. Surely ignoring the problem or pretending it's not going on does no one any favours what-so-ever? If there's something that she needs to talk through then i'd like her to know that i'm there for her to talk to about whatever it is that's troubling her. She's obviously not thinking straight and cutting herself isn't going to solve anything at all.
    It's hard to explain.

Different people harm themselves in different ways. Me taking gouges out of my arms and chest doesn't mean I hurt far more than someone who just scratched themselves.

When I felt worse I tended to cut more and deeper, but not always. Sometimes my worst cutting was when it wasn't that deep a depression.

I appreciate the information and honesty. I can't imagine it's all that easy to talk about.
  • Options
    I'm not going to carry on as if i'm not aware that something's wrong. Surely ignoring the problem or pretending it's not going on does no one any favours what-so-ever? If there's something that she needs to talk through then i'd like her to know that i'm there for her to talk to about whatever it is that's troubling her. She's obviously not thinking straight and cutting herself isn't going to solve anything at all.
    What would you say to her though? "I think you're cutting, please don't"? Because (trust me on this one - personal experience talking) that just makes it worse. It would make her feel guilty.

If you think there's something wrong, ask her if there's anything she wants to talk to you about (or something). Don't ask her outright, ffs, if she wants to tell you she'll tell you when she's ready.
  • Options
    What would you say to her though? "I think you're cutting, please don't"? Because (trust me on this one - personal experience talking) that just makes it worse. It would make her feel guilty.

Although i'm male you can still credit me with a modicum of tact.
    If you think there's something wrong, ask her if there's anything she wants to talk to you about (or something). Don't ask her outright, ffs, if she wants to tell you she'll tell you when she's ready.

It needs to be brought up. I'm not going to avoid the issue so in the mean time she can carry on disfiguring herself trying to treat the symptoms of her anguish with a pair or scissors or a razor blade, no way. She's not well at the moment and evidently is not thinking straight. I can't allow it to continue with the vague hope that at somepoint the mess that is her head at the moment is going to come up with some rational thought that isn't detrimental to her condition. I'm not going to be soft, understanding and sympathetic with her because she needs it. I'm not going to pretend it's not happening though.
  • Options
    Although i'm male you can still credit me with a modicum of tact.

I can.

But you mention the SH at all and she will feel defensive, got at, and guilty that she is upsetting you.

My mum found my cuts, she was brilliant about it, but I still felt about 2mm tall.

I felt like I'd failed. I felt like I'd failed her, and I felt like I'd failed at hiding it. I felt like I'd hurt everyone because I was too fucking stupid to hide it. So I cut more to help the feelings.
    It needs to be brought up.

The cutting doesn't, and the cutting shouldn't.
    I'm not going to avoid the issue so in the mean time she can carry on disfiguring herself trying to treat the symptoms of her anguish with a pair or scissors or a razor blade, no way.

That is what you should do, and if you care about her that is what you will do.

It's hard to see it if you've never been there, but "confronting" her about it, and trying to get her to "talk about it" will make it worse for her. She will tell you if she wants to tell you, not because you asked her about it.
    I'm not going to pretend it's not happening though.

Nobody is asking you to.

Don't ask her or try to talk with her about her self-harming.

Seriously, I've been there, Franki's been there, and we're both saying for you to not do it. You think you're being helpful, but you don't understand, and in your efforts you make things worse. People who don't understand it always do. I don't blame them- if I didn't do it I wouldn't get my head around it- but you have to listen to those of us who know.

Make sure she is keeping her cuts clean if you can, but don't try and convince her that she shouldn't do it. It's a coping mechanism, and you telling her to stop it won't make her think her coping mechanism should be stopped.

I stopped cutting because my coping mechanism didn't work, but talking about it with my therapist did. So I abandoned by coping mechanism.
  • Options
    I can't argue with the voice of experience.

What can i do then? Do i just ask how she's she doing and let her know that if she wants to talk i'll be there to listen?

In my opinion the whole thing is a self destructive cycle that needs to be broken. Cutting herself won't solve anything at all; she's trying to treat the symptoms of her anxiety with self harming and not the cause of it. At best it sounds like it gives her temporary relief, yet it solves nothing at all. I can't let it go on indefinitely.
  • Options
    The hardest thing to do is to do little, but that really is probably what is needed.

Make it quite clear that she's your friend, and that you are there for her if she ever wants to talk to you about anything. But don't make a big issue out of her SH, because most SHers are actually quite ashamed of their behaviour, and would be gutted if anyone found out. They wouldn't want to talk about it without broaching the subject themselves.

I don't want to say that how I felt is how everyone feels, she may really appreciate you asking about it, but my experiences with other SHers is that this is uncommon amongst those who SH because of genuine and serious depression, as opposed to for attention-seeking reasons.

It's hard to sit on your hands, you just want to slap some sense into her, figuratively at least. But this is her way of coping with her feelings, and what you say does not have as much sway over her as her own coping mechanisms do. I haven't cut myself for years now, but when I've had a shite day I still want to do it to make myself feel better.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It's hard to sit on your hands, you just want to slap some sense into her, figuratively at least. But this is her way of coping with her feelings, and what you say does not have as much sway over her as her own coping mechanisms do. I haven't cut myself for years now, but when I've had a shite day I still want to do it to make myself feel better.
    I haven't cut since I was seventeen, but I agree that stopping is difficult and it does feel like an addiction. I was once described as a 'junkie' because I'd go to run down places and steralise blades with my cigarette lighter before pressing them in to my legs. On a bad day sometimes I still feel like I'd like to take a razor to my arm... It's always there at the back of your mind when you're down.

To me, changing the way I thought helped me stop... That and I turned to art, writing and photography to deal with difficult emotions. The scariest thing about depression is not the thought of dying... It's the thought of trying to get better and failing... failing at something else.
  • Options
    Didn't know depression was as complex as it is...what makes people cut in the first place?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Didn't know depression was as complex as it is...what makes people cut in the first place?
    I never really thought I was doing it at first. I got really nervous about ringing this guy and I just started scratching at my hand, and it made me feel better and I just couldn't stop. It's got progressively worse since then, and that was...er...two and a half years ago. Christ. I didn't think it was that long :|.
  • Options
    Haven't you found other ways of finding a release?